CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO: SUPPLIES FOR EAGLE PEAK
372 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

[Congratulations player Osiris! You are the first player world-wide to become a ‘Landed’ Noble. Rewards: +100 World Renown and +200 Gold]

 

A similar message was sent out worldwide, to all the players currently online. It received the same amount of scorn, envy and interest as the last few. Gabriel paid no attention to the notifications. A stoic look remained on Gabriel’s face, as the [Chancellor] continued to talk about the duties of a Noble to the Imperium Empire.

 

 

Gabriel had tuned out the next couple of sentences though. He had received a Noble title in the past as well but never became a “Landed Noble”. He knew bits and pieces of the information but majority of the “Landed Nobles” in his past, kept most information close to their chests regarding building up there lands.

 

 

Gabriel’s thoughts and plans for the future, ran through his mind like a movie reel. As he cut plans and schemes, while pushing other ones forward. ‘I thought I would have to wait get to the Sarragos Kingdom before I could own a territory. It doesn’t hurt to have to have a base in Imperium as well though’ Gabriel thought to himself, his lips slowly twitched up in glee.

 

 

Gabriel tuned back to the [Chancellor] as it sounded like he was wrapping up the speech about Imperium Honor and Duty.

 

 

“I hope you will take these words to heart [Osiris] and know the Imperium will always have your back. You can see [Sergeant Titus] at the Legionnaire camp to request for your initial standing Army, after building a suitable barracks of course. Also, you will not have to provide your lands taxes to the Imperium Empire for one month. After that they must be paid on the first of every month. I hope I do not have to mention the penalties of shirking this duty to the Empire.” The [Chancellor] said.

 

 

“Yes [Chancellor], I have taken your words deep into my soul and will protect the Empire and rally my forces upon the call for aid.” Gabriel replied with a half bow.

 

 

“Very good, I expect great things from you. You may leave now. I look forward to hearing about your success on the raid of [Baroness Mengrel]’s lands. I will be paying close attention.” The [Chancellor] said, before grabbing a stack of documents and beginning to read them.

 

 

Gabriel bowed and walked over to [Archomedus] and [Manius], who also stood and bowed to the [Chancellor]. After leaving the office, [Manius] slapped Gabriel on the back with his wrinkly old hand.

 

 

“Good job my boy! Ha! Maybe now that you’re a Noble, you could be good enough for my little princess.” [Manius] chuckled, before he inspected Gabriel up and down.

 

 

“On second thoughts, I don’t think it is a good idea. I need a son in law I can intimidate. How on [Jupiter]’s name, do I strong arm you. Blooming man mountain. However, I could be swayed if you build me a nice house and workshop on your land. I could use the peace and quiet of the countryside to work on my [Rune] research.” [Manius] said.

 

 

Gabriel received a notification from [Manius]’s words.

 

 

[Quest received! Master Manius’s Mansion (Advanced) (Chained)]

Task 1. Acquire blueprints and build a Tier 1 Rune Workshop

Task 2. Acquire blueprints and build a Teir 1 Manor (Owner Manius)

 

Rewards:

  • [Master Runesmith] will settle in your territory.
  • 25% discount on all [Runes] made on your territory.
  • Ability to make [Runes] a commodity for trade.

 

 

Gabriel gave [Manius] a fool toothed smile. The thought of all the money through trade he could make, just in [Runed] equipment almost made Gabriel break out into dance. Being a [Runesmith] himself, he could double the production speed too.

 

 

“Once I set my territory up, I promise I will make you a beautiful home next to mine, on Eagle Peak itself.” Gabriel promised [Manius].

 

 

 

“Alright lad, I need to be going. I have to check on my patient. Let me know once your population exceeds 5000 and I will help fund your first Alchemy Store. I have a few apprentices that have learnt enough to not be hanging around me all day. [Manius] will you follow me? I need to discuss a certain [Rune] with you.” [Archomedus] said before leaving with [Manius] in tow.

 

 

 

Gabriel made his way out of the Imperial Palace and retrieved his equipment from the Guards out front. Gabriel stood in front of the Palace grounds entranceway and thought, ‘There is a lot to check out at Eagle Peak but one thing I do know I need, is more people and fresh food. The starving Villagers at the shanty village will not be enough to develop my lands’.

 

 

Gabriel ordered himself a carriage and asked to be taken to the Merchant District. On the way Gabriel received a couple PM’s from his friends online. The first one being from Tom.

 

 

“Hey Gab! What the hell man!? Do you have any idea what this old perv has got me doing and when I am neck deep in crap. I hear that you, somehow slayed a giant or something and became a Noble. Explain buddy boy!?” Tom wrote.

 

 

“You wouldn’t happen to be neck deep in ladies' underwear would you Tomo?” Gabriel replied.

 

 

“How did you know?? Did you already know the quests this perverted old man would give me? Wait! You actually seem to know a lot of stuff about D.O. that no one else does. What gives man?” Tom asked, he appeared to be finally trying to unwrap Gabriel’s mysterious advanced knowledge.

 

 

“I didn’t know already, I only heard rumors about the old man, you should listen to the common city folk. They can give you plenty of juicy pieces of info. Also, I know you are hip deep in ladies' underwear, because I saw you with an Old Dwarf being chased by a group of guards and ladies on my way to the Bazaar. I didn’t become a Noble just from the killing of the [Cyclops] either, just give me a second and I’ll explain” Gabriel replied, he tried his best to push the topic along.

 

 

Gabriel proceeded to explain, on how it was a culmination of different things that helped him to become a Noble. Gabriel also told Tom that once he got his profession, he will build him a special smith at Eagle Peak. Tom seemed placated after that. Gabriel tried his best to discreetly ask about Tom’s health but was interrupted by a message from Tom saying they had been found and had to make a run for it.

 

 

Gabriel laughed and saw two other PM from Mouse and [Rex]. The one from [Rex] was a simple congrats and also to inform Gabriel that he picked up the [Merchant] profession. [Rex] seemed to know that Gabriel knew a lot of D.O. and asked him about any tips for the [Merchant] profession.

 

 

Gabriel knew this was a subtle probe but didn’t say much and just replied with the usually tid bits everyone has heard of by now. Gabriel did promise that once his territory started making money, he will make sure to throw plenty of deals [Rex]’s way.

 

 

Mouse’s message was another congrats message filled with smiley faces. Mouse also asked if Gabriel planned to go to Eagle Peak soon. Apparently, Mouse received a quest from his not so hidden Goddess [Fortuna], that required him to go to the forest near Eagle Peak. Gabriel told Mouse to meet him at the North gate in two hours and they can go together.

 

 

The carriage finally arrived at the Merchant District and pulled up in front of a warehouse. It was massive structure with a circular roof that stretched back hundreds of meters. There was a train of horse drawn carts that were entering a large side entrance. The carts were filled with materials of different types, ranging from quarried stone to roped thatch.

 

 

Gabriel exited the carriage and made his way to the side entrance. A Muscular Dwarf was standing in front of the side entrance and taking an order from a snobby Noble, wearing a heavy looking green toga. They seemed to be arguing about a previous order. As Gabriel got closer, he started to make out what they were saying.

 

 

 

“I don’t care what you say you little cretin. I need at least 5000 Units of quarried stone within the week. Do you think the walls protecting my vineyards are any good if there is an Ogre sized hole in it!” The Noble shouted, his face turning red in rage.

 

 

“I have said it many times already. The quarry has been over run and until we clear it of those little monsters. I will not be sending my miners in there just to be slaughtered. Now be gone already, so I can see some real customers”. The Dwarf foreman gruffly replied.

 

 

The Noble walked off in a huff, passing by Gabriel on his way. Gabriel noticed the Noble was wearing a Gold armillae; an armband given to ex-military men for gallantry service. Gabriel thought the man looked vaguely familiar but couldn’t place him. Arriving before the Dwarf Foreman, Gabriel stuck his hand out for an arm clasp. The Foreman’s frown slowly straightened out as he nodded and clasped Gabriel’s arm.

 

 

“How ya doing there boy, the names [Dagan]. I run this here Warehouse, we deal in construction supplies. Everything you need from materials to tools and even craftsman. What's ya name lad?” The Foreman asked.

 

 

“Nice to meet you [Dagan]. My name's [Osiris]. I have just received the Barony of Eagle Peak. I don’t have the need for many materials just yet, as I need to travel to my new lands to take stock of what is needed.” Gabriel said.

 

 

Gabriel clarified the last bit quickly as he saw [Dagan]’s eyes started to take on a greedy glint, at the prospect of a big sale.

 

 

“Okay that’s fair enough then lad. But if I recollect correctly, that land of yours doesn’t have many natural resources. Besides the untapped mountain and a part of the forest. I don’t think you even have a designated water source or even proper farmlands out there. A real desolate piece of Orc sh*t, if you ask me. Going to take a fair amount of work and most importantly money, to get that place up and running.” [Dagan] warned.

 

 

 

The Dwarven Foreman appeared to be trying to warn Gabriel in a friendly manner but it was more of a scare tactic to force him to buy a lot more than necessary supplies. Gabriel wasn’t falling for that, although he was by no means the best of the best in manipulation. He had close to 8 years of dealing with Guilds, Corporations even large Gangster type syndicates and their schemes/plots. Wading through those muddy waters, where you never truly knew who was a friend or enemy. Gariel felt those times were the more stressful and dangerous in his life, even more than the actual battlefield.

 

 

“You are right on most accounts [Dagan] but I have a few plans of my own. I am sure I will be needing plenty of things off of you in the future. What I need off you now though, is to hire a couple of prospectors to check the mountain and surrounding area for minerals. I also have a Village that by my best guess, is only one piece of bread away from starving to death. I want you to deliver 1000 pieces of foodstuffs. As I want it sent over today, the majority can be Flatbread if needed. I also want fresh milk as much for 80 people.” Gabriel requested.

 

 

The Foreman took a look at the documents on the clipboard, he appeared to be doing some math in his head.

 

 

“That shouldn’t be a problem, it will only take one cart to deliver and the prospectors can travel along with it. The total for the foodstuffs and delivery will be 40 Gold and the Prospectors are 5 Gold each per day. I would recommend four of them” [Dagan] answered.

 

 

“How about you bring that price down to 30 Gold for the foodstuffs and I will also order 500 Units of lumber. Plus 10 experienced builders that don’t have any assignments and can stay on my lands fulltime? The Prospectors I will pay up front for one week.” Gabriel counter offered.

 

 

Gabriel didn’t want to start construction on too many buildings too early. He Guessed they would first need to olish the current rundown shacks and build everyone some fresh homes.

 

 

“You got a deal lad. The total will be 209 Gold, with your 5% discount included of course. The general laborer's will be sent with the lumber. They will need to be paid on the Monday of every week. They are 500 silver a day. You will also need to provide housing and food for them. The Prospectors will take care of themselves and you probably won't see them until they have finished surveying your lands.” [Dagan] informed Gabriel.

 

 

Gabriel handed over 210 Gold, leaving a small tip for [Dagan]. Gabriel did the math in his head and realized his decently High charm stat must have come into effect too. As the foodstuffs at this time should have come to 45 Gold. As Gabriel was about leave, to go to meet Mouse, [Dagan] stopped him with a hand.

 

 

“Lad being one of those new Travellers and dressed like battle that you are. I imagine you won’t have a lot of time to watch over your lands. You should hire a Steward to take care of the daily chores. I know a few who are looking for some new employers. Want me to introduce you?” [Dagan] asked.

 

 

Gabriel had already thought of this. As he had plenty of things to do and wouldn’t always be able to get back to his lands to settle every little problem that came up. Gabriel had someone in mind though, he was going to get Minoko Tyaji to be his steward. The plan was to make her the Steward of his lands in D.O. and his Guild when he sets that up.

 

 

“No thanks [Dagan], I already have someone in mind but I will most likely need to hire a couple of assistants in the future. I am sure I will be back soon to order more supplies once I find out what I need. I’ll be seeing you soon.” Gabriel replied before heading off.

 

 

Gabriel traversed the hilly streets of Roma and made his way to the North Gate, walking under the Aqueduct that connected to the water reserve, it provided a lovely amount of shade from the heat. Mouse was already standing just outside the gate when Gabriel arrived.

 

 

“Hey Big Brother [Osiris]! Are you ready to go?” Mouse asked, waving after seeing Gabriel walking towards him.

 

 

“Hey Mouse. Where is the rest of the [Wolfpack]?” Gabriel asked.

 

 

“[T] apparently got into some trouble at his work again and [Rex] had to go sort it out. [Phat-Cat] also had to take her Mother to her... talking appointment. My Grandma is also not feeling well at the moment and is staying at the hospital. I don’t have anyone else and my home is too quiet for me.” Mouse replied, tears slightly gathering in his eyes.

 

 

“Don’t worry Mouse. If you ever find yourself alone or need someone to talk to you can always message me. In D.O. or in the real world too.” Gabriel said.

 

 

Mouse’s childlike face broke his heart. Gabriel could empathize with Mouse’s feeling of loneliness; Gabriel had spent many years by himself in the past. Disconnected from his family and worried about making friends in fear of his ever-present enemies. Gabriel barely talked to anyone and came off as cold and detached when people did try to befriend him. That was why, in this 2nd chance at life he was given, he wanted to be the exact opposite of what he once was.

 

 

“Really?? Are you serious?? But I don’t have your details in the real world, I don’t even know your real name?” Mouse asked, his eyes starting to light up. Gabriel and Mouse started walking down the road as they talked.

 

 

“Yeah, I am serious Mouse. My real name is Gabriel Draganov, but please call me [Osiris] in game when we are around other people, okay? I will send you my mobile number. I also currently live in New York, what about you little bro?” Gabriel replied.

 

 

 

“Don’t worry I promise I won’t tell anybody. Not even the [Wolfpack]. This will be between master and disciple. My name is Mouse Mckenzie. I don’t actually know if my real name is Mouse, my parents left me at my grandma’s house when I was young. Grandma always just called me Mouse. I also live in New York!” Mouse said, sounding even more excited now that he knew Gabriel lived in New York too.

 

 

They chatted as they walked, sharing some general stories and Gabriel couldn’t help but smile at Mouse’s weird stories. Gabriel got tired of walking and used [Summon Mount]. [Alastor] came barrelling over a hill to their right after a short couple of minutes. In D.O if your mount was within a couple of miles of your area, they would just run over to you when summoned. Otherwise, a portal would open and your mount will come from that.

 

 

Mouse was excited to ride on a horse as he didn’t have enough Gold to buy one yet. Gabriel jumped up on [Alastor] and gave the horse a couple loving pats in greeting. Mouse jumped up behind him and the two set off. Mouse was off for his [Personal] quest at the forest near Eagle Peak. Apparently, it had to do with getting a [Unique] Mount and riding on [Alastor] just made him more excited. Gabriel was also keen to get moving, as he wanted to get a head start on building up his new territory.

15