CHAPTER SIXTY-SIX: RETAINERS
366 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

With blurry eyes that came in and out of focus, Gabriel tried to recover his bearings for a little while, until finally, he saw the clouds were above him again, Gabriel knew then he must be back on the ground. ‘Well at least I didn’t fall from the sky again. It’s all about the small victories sometimes.’ Gabriel thought to himself. Looking around, he noticed that he had been transported back into the clearing he fought the [Horned One] in. Quickly rising to his feet, Gabriel scanned the area, holding his khopesh at the ready, just in case the Demi-God of Black Witches was still around. After a few seconds of straining his senses to the max, Gabriel relaxed slightly and finally sheathed his khopesh when nothing appeared to be in the vicinity.  

 

The swirling portal for [Summon Mount], appeared in the middle of the clearing, as Gabriel waited for his scaredy-cat stallion [Alastor] to arrive. With a loud neigh, the glossy black horse leapt out of the portal, before rising up on its hind legs for a moment and bringing them down in a very showy manner.  

 

“There you are! What are you? A child? Don’t try to act all tough and heroic now. What a loyal mount you are, abandoning me at the first sign of a powerful enemy.” Gabriel chastised his Mount with a stern face.  

 

[Alastor] pawed the ground, in what appeared to Gabriel, as clear embarrassment or shame. He tried to keep a stern look but it broke before long, he let out a laugh and patted the horse on the side, letting him know there was no hard feelings. [Alastor] nuzzled Gabriel’s chest and attempted to lick his face, an action Gabriel quickly avoided with a chuckle. 

 

“Haha. Come on bud, let’s go back to [Babylon]. Did you run into any trouble when taking [Sarah] back?” Gabriel asked, as the two set off at a trot.  

 

The stallion neighed in reply, swinging its head side to side, Gabriel took it as a no and continued on. It only took about 15 minutes to reach the up-and-coming village, as once they left the tree line, Gabriel took off at a gallop closing the distance quick. His re-entry into town was met with a lot more fanfare then his first time entering as the new lord. The villagers let out a little cheer and mutterings of “Our brave Lord has returned” and “Good Job my Lord” could be heard spreading through the crowd, Gabriel thought he even heard someone say “Maybe he’s not a dickhead after all.” but couldn’t pinpoint who it was.   

 

Once Gabriel dismounted [Alastor], a group of husky men, with large beards surrounded him. Applying a stream of, not so gentle slaps of their meaty fists, on his shoulders and back. The largest of them all, took the lead to force a handshake on Gabriel, letting out a big belly laugh. Gabriel remembered that this was the leader of the woodcutter brothers, [Gunther], husband of [Aggy]. He accepted the forced handshake and felt his usually large hand be enveloped by the muscular woodsman. 

 

“Ha! Good job my lord, the little one has been returned to her mother safe and sound. We went searching to but once arriving at the clearing we felt a force pull us and send us back out the forest, knocking us unconscious on the way. We awoke to the sight and sounds of [Sarah] riding your valiant steed out of the forest. Thank you, my Lord. Our people haven’t had a good history with our previous lords and caretakers. To have one care so much, that he would charge into danger for one of us. Warms all our hearts.” [Gunther] praised, with a couple of slaps to Gabriel’s back for good measure.  

 

Gabriel received a notification that appeared just above his eyes, once the woodcutter stopped talking.  

 

[Babylon Public Order has been raised by +5, attributed to a kind act from the ruling Lord] 

 

Letting out a smile, Gabriel chuckled along and grasped each hand of the men that approached him with their thanks. Eventually making his way through the crowd, Gabriel entered where a group of ladies, ranging in age, circled the young [Sarah] who was nestled tightly in her mother's arms. The mother looked like she had just gone through another bout of crying in relief. [Sarah] was the first of the group to notice him. 

 

“My Lord!” [Sarah] shouted, jumping out of her mother's hug and running over.  

 

All the other ladies turned to stare at Gabriel, [Sarah’]’s mother was only a moment behind her daughter as she rushed towards his approaching figure as well. [Sarah] almost threw herself into Gabriel, as he quickly opened his arms to hug her and stop her momentum from bowling him over.  

 

“My Lord! My Lord! Thank you so, so, so much! I was terrified. The goat man kept talking about making me part of his flock. And then he started asking questions about you and when I told him I didn’t know anything, he put his claws around my neck. I’m sorry... I shouldn’t have gone by myself. Billy told me to... wait... but...” [Sarah] sniffled out, becoming more upset the more she continued.  

 

While already leaning down, Gabriel gave the still terrified young lady a tighter squeeze. [Sarah] slipped her arms around his neck and held onto Gabriel as he stood back up. Now with [Sarah] cradled in his arms, all that could be heard from the surrounding crowd was Gabriel giving off soothing noises and words of safety into [Sarah]’s ear, in an attempt to calm her down. The gaggle of ladies watching the scene all gave him varying looks. The older ladies, including the mothers who had partners, all gazed at him with a soft approving look, at the sweet display. The younger, unwed women stared at their lord with a little more fire in their eyes, Gabriel managed to catch a few snippets of “Husband material” and “Would make a good Father” whispered between a few of them as well. Sending his back into a cold sweat, which he felt was similar to the nervous sweat from fighting a Demi-God.    

 

“Alright Sarah. Everything is fine, you’re safe now. There is nothing to worry about for now, just make sure you are more careful in the future and take someone with you when you have to go near the forests. Okay?” Gabriel asked with a soft voice, as he put [Sarah] back onto her feet.  

 

“I promise, I will. [Billy] told me to wait, I will make sure to listen to him next time.” [Sarah] replied, flashing Gabriel a full-toothed smile that stood out even more against her grimy tear-streaked face. 

 

Before Gabriel could finish giving [Sarah] a pat on the head, he was given a surprise hug from the side by [Sarah]’s mother.  

 

“Thank you, my lord. I don’t know what I would have done if I lost my little girl. Ever since my husband passed away, fleeing through the wilds from our last tyrant of a lord, it has just been Sarah and I. Thank you for returning her to me unharmed. I swear, I will be forever loyal to your household, I swear it in Vesta’s name.” [Sarah]’s mom vehemently declared, while she put two fingers to her lips and put them up to the sky.  

 

A loud crack could be heard from the sky, as the villagers around Gabriel and the woman, gave out small gasps in surprise of the decree. Gabriel was equally surprised, he knew that in a moment he would be getting a system notification, once he gave his reply to [Sarah]’s mom.  

 

“I thank you for your honest words and I can feel your Sincerity in them but you do know what you have just swore to do, Miss... I’m sorry I don’t think I even know your name...” Gabriel finished lamely; he was about to softly reprimand the woman but felt deflated at the fact he couldn’t even name her.  

 

The middle-aged woman, took a step back, tidy herself up the best she could and gave Gabriel a perfect curtsy. Flashes of what was obviously court training, could be seen in the malnourished woman’s movements.  

 

“Forgive me, my lord. My name is Ireneth’Ta. But you can just call me Irene. I was born in the Imperium lands but moved away after my parents passed away. I was trained by my father, who was a steward to a powerful Count. I grew up learning to be a stewardess but because of some unforeseen circumstances I was never able to put my skills to the test. I am educated in all avenues on running a successful household and would be honored if you would let me take care of yours.” Irene announced, with a slight dip of her head.  

 

Gabriel didn’t reply straight away, as he decided to take the woman’s measure properly for the first time. He noticed a few things he hadn’t previously, underneath the grime and skin tight flesh of a woman half starved. Irene was a beautiful lady; he had been referring to her as middle-aged but upon closer observation she appeared younger than he thought. It puzzled him for a few moments, ‘Sarah is a little on the older side, for a mother so young, even for this medieval type culture’ Gabriel thought to himself. With flashing purple eyes, he finally noticed a few other qualities that gave him more of a hint, the slight point to Irene’s ears and a certain fay quality to her cheeks and eyes. The ‘Ta, at the end of her name was the true give away.  

 

“Everybody, could you please give Irene and I a moment of privacy?” Gabriel asked the crowd; it was more of a demand but everyone acquiesced and left them alone.  

 

After waiting for the villagers, who were throwing slightly worried glances back at the two, to disperse far enough, Gabriel finally turned and looked Irene right in the eyes.  

 

“Tell me Irene, was one of your parents a wood elf or maybe half-wood elf?” Gabriel asked, finally putting the pieces together and asking what he already knew to be true.  

 

Irene’s eyes widened slightly at the question and a small shudder run up her body, Gabriel could even hear her give out an audible nervous gulp. Irene took a second to compose herself before she straightened her shoulders and met Gabriel’s stare.  

 

“Yes, I am my lord. My mother was half-wood elf. I had to leave Roma after my parents both perished in a kidnapping gone horribly wrong. My mother was highly desired by certain organizations, in the hopes they could squeeze the information of the whereabouts of the hidden race, the Wood Elves, from her. My father and mother managed to keep her mixed blood under wraps for many years but were eventually betrayed by somebody close. They sent me off to live with my aunt and I heard the news of their death only a month after running away and returning to Roma in search of them.” Irene became a little emotional near the end but a quick breath, accompanied with a determined shake of her head later, she was back to normal and continued.  

 

“Anyway, my lord, cutting a long story short. I also had to leave the city, as some of the organizations didn't know when to stop and thought I knew, what even my mother didn’t know. I ended up working for a rural lord, who treated his citizens and retainers like playthings and cattle. I met my then husband there and to be honest, we were more friends, who spent the occasional nights in the comfort of each other's embrace, to ward of the cold and loneliness. He did treat me well though and declared he wouldn’t abandon me, when I became pregnant. The rest of my years was spend doing more of the same, until we fled the lord with the others of this village and the rest you know.”  Irene finished, her voice rising with confidence and gaining a little steel by the end. 

 

“Thank you for being honest with me Irene. I am sorry you had to suffer so much but if I could be so bold, I promise I will do my best to never let you or [Sarah] suffer like that again. I won’t insult you by asking about your elven heritage but I would ask that if you come to serve my household you will need to remove the ‘Ta from your name when introducing yourself. It will lead to far too many questions. I am positive, I will eventually have certain high-ranking nobility and Imperium officials come visit, at one time or another. If they learn of your possible wood-elf blood, they may cause unnecessary trouble for you and me. Okay?” Gabriel replied, looking at Irene solemnly.  

 

Gabriel knew that asking one, to give up an important part of their name was in some ways disrespectful but he couldn’t take the risk of getting into a feud between himself and the natives of the Imperium. There was too much bad blood between the wood-elves and the citizens of Roma, that it would make it hard for Gabriel, with his little amount of power, to diffuse any sort of vendetta from the local populace.   

 

“I understand. I will strike the Elven identifier from my birth name. Does this mean you will agree for me to become a retainer in service to Baron Osiris?” Irene asked, her face shining with sincerity.  

 

A notification appeared in Gabriel's vision, after Irene’s question. 

 

[Ireneth’Ta has requested to become your retainer and join your household. Do you accept her eternal service and the service from her family. Yes or No?]   

The notification was received with a tab to click for additional information. Gabriel clicked it, he wanted to clarify retainers, in his past he never received one, although he came close a couple of times, he only knew the basics.  

   

[Retainers: A player must be a Noble to be able to take a native inhabitant of Valhalla into one's service. Making one a retainer is different to hiring someone for their service through a monetary contract. It is a direct contract between the native’s patron god and their chosen lord. Once accepted, the retainer and their direct family will enter your service for the remainder of their natural lives. As you are a landed Noble of Imperium. You can accept up to 10 retainers, and an increase of 5 for every time you rise in your station of nobility.]  

 

There were extra information tabs on the subject that Gabriel gave a quick once over, he remembered the rest from people talking about retainers in his previous life, so didn’t spend much time on them. If Irene was to enter his service, Gabriel had a moral obligation to take care of her and her family. He could however choose to treat them poorly and they would still be bound to him regardless, never able to leave his service or betray him. However, if he mistreats them, they may indirectly try to cause him harm, the rules couldn't be broken or they would suffer godly wrath, they could however bend the rules. Gabriel remembered one to many stories of a mistreated retainer, leading both himself and their lord into a trap.  

 

 

The whole time Gabriel was reading the information about retainers, Irene stayed still with arms clasped in front. She had the appearance of someone who wouldn’t take no for answer easily.  

 

“Alright Irene. I agree to take you and your family into my household, in the name of your patron god, I swear it.” Gabriel finally replied after thinking over the pros and cons of the situation.  

 

Irene shot Gabriel a beautiful smile and gave deep curtsy. Taking two fingers again, she gave them kiss and raised them into the air before declaring loudly.  

 

“I, Ireneth’Ta. Swear to serve Baron Osiris, faithfully and truthfully to the best of my abilities, from here unto my last breath. I swear upon the patron goddess of the hearth, Vesta.” Irene solemnly vowed. 

 

A gust of warm wind rose suddenly and blew around the two in a spiral before dissipating, as Gabriel and Irene both nodded at each other. Gabriel received a notification after the wind disappeared.    

 

[Congratulations! Player Osiris for receiving your first retainer to the House of Osiris. 1/10 spots filled.]  

[Irenth’Ta - LVL 9 - [Stewardess] - has become your retainer. For more information, see the new Retainer Tab in your character menu screen.] 

 

Thank you, my lord. I promise it, I will serve you faithfully.” Irene gushed, half clapping in happiness.  

 

[Irene] may have seemed impulsive to some but Gabriel thought differently he had noticed the woman had been silently observing him since his arrival. Irene had a pair of sharp eyes on her, that Gabriel didn’t fail to take note of. With the knowledge that, a poor villager could go a long way strapping themselves to a rising noble early was also a big part of the reason she declared her position so vehemently, Gabriel didn’t fault her for it. Trying to secure a more stable and secure life for her daughter [Sarah] and any future family she should had, made Gabriel think of things he was currently doing for his family now that he had been given the chance to do so.   

 

“Okay Irene. First things first, I want to notify you that I have another steward who should be joining us today, I want your main jobs to be assisting her and upkeep of my home. With that I will give you a weekly stipend you can pull on for renovations and upkeep of the Manor on top of the peak. You may need to also hire staff for various things but that can be talked about at a later date. For now, I will just need you to make a list for me of what the current manor is lacking, I can tell you now, that besides my study, there is not a single bit of furniture in the whole place.” Gabriel stated, wanting to get a move on now. He needed to get Minoko over here and get ready for the raid on [Baroness Mengrel]’s lands tomorrow.  

 

“I will start straight away my lord. I will like to also make a request, I think it would be best to move into one of the rooms in the manor, me and [Sarah] can share a room of course.” Irene replied.  

 

“That’s a given, take a room each for now though. I plan to extend the mansion in the future anyway. Could you please do me a favor now though, I would like you to ask the villagers, what they are lacking right now and get me a general clothing size, so I can buy everyone some fresh ones to hold them over. Take this and make a list for me please. I am going to ask the hired workers what they are in need off.” Gabriel said, as he handed over a quill and parchment he stored in his inventory from his study.  

 

After 15 minutes, Irene returned with a list of general tools, clothing sizes and foods that hold for Gabriel. He had also received a list form the craftsmen too. As Gabriel was in the process of thanking [Irene] and mounting [Alastor], he received a private message request from an unknown sender. Clicking on the message, Gabriel gave a big grin after reading it.  

 

[Mr. Draganov. I am done with the Novice Village. I have currently entered Roma. I am heading to the market district to check the local prices on supplies and materials for the village. I will meet you there, yes?] 

 

 Letting out a chuckle, Gabriel replied with a yes and said he will be there in just over thirty minutes. Taking off at a gallop, he left the village and made short work of the trip arriving half way in a short fifteen minutes. The telltale signs of an ongoing ambush were playing out in front of Gabriela as he approached, that made him pull up short. He would have skirted the group but he noticed that [Phat Cat] and [T] were the two being ambushed by a group of seven.  

 

Gabriel kicked [Alastor] in the ribs and with “Hiyah!”, he charged at one of the ambushers that just received a face full of steel feathers from [Phat Cat]. Before Gabriel struck down with his khopesh, a large dark figure emerging from the forest to the side of the road, caught his attention.  

 

All current players paused mid battle, to look at the swiftly approaching figure in stunned silence. It was eventually broken by [T]. 

 

“Mouse?” [T] questioned, a tinge of bewildered awe in his voice.  

 

==============================================================================================

 

Authors note:

Thanks everyone for reading so far. I really appreciate all the people who are helping with their suggestions and edit suggestions. Just want to also remind people that if you want to read ahead 5+ chapters ahead of the free content, you can always support me on my Patreon, otherwise if you're the patient type just hold out a few more days for the next chapter.

13