CHAPTER SEVENTY: THE VINEYARD 
312 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

CHAPTER SEVENTY: THE VINEYARD 

 

The column of soldiers marched along the road in a uniform line for over two hours. To past the time, Gabriel caught up with his previous NPC squad, learning their current abilities and strengths. It appeared that the one who had grown the most was Richard, who had become quite the swordsman. Even being lucky enough to receive a [Rare] skill book off of is instructor. The only thing the squad was missing now, was a dedicated mage type and healer now. Both were hard classes to train and fund though and the military didn’t like to send them out with only rookies for protection. To fix the issue of the lack of healers for the greenhorn squads, the Legionnaire camp outfitted all participants with a pack of [Medium Health Potions] and [Advanced Field Bandages], that could staunch the deepest of wounds. The good thing about the bandages were, you could apply them like a nicotine patch and just slap them on a wound, they can also be stack for quick over time healing.  

 

After close to two hours of marching, word reached Gabriel and his squad, that were near the middle of the column, that they would reach their destination in only another 15 minutes. They had already crossed the border entering Baroness Mengrel’s lands a little before. Most of the current lands they passed were farmlands, with single family abodes on them and wooden lookout towers that were currently empty. At the start of the territory, the crops had a vibrant and healthy look but, the further they entered into the heart of the lands, the more the plants and the people looked sickly.  

 

As Gabriel was observing one malnourished and hopeless looking farmer amid his crops, a sudden shout of his name caught his attention. Gabriel turned around and saw the [Wolfpack] and Tom with [Rex] leading at the front, as they made their way towards him. Giving them a friendly wave, Gabriel slowed down his pace a little to match theirs.  

 

“Hey guys, everyone excited about the upcoming raid?” Gabriel asked once they caught up to him.  

 

“Oh, hell yeah! You should see all the forum posts about it at the moment. People IRL are dying to see this conflict. I know some of the bigger news corps have even take it up as a story on the 6pm news. Can you believe that?” [T] exclaimed.  

 

“I honestly can, I've heard how many new players are joining every day. Plus, it’s like an interactive movie. When people watch the videos of Players doing wonderous things like magic or being putting into dire life-threatening situations, it can feel more exhilarating for the viewer as they know it’s not scripted. That Player cornered by a group of Ogres, is literally cornered by Ogres, there is no plot armour to get them out. They have to either be smart enough or strong enough to get themselves out.” Gabriel explained.  

 

“That’s very true, I remembered when I watched the video of you fighting that gigantic [Goblin Chief], it scared the living crap out of me whenever his huge club came whizzing past your head.” [Phat-Cat] said. 

 

“Yeah, yeah. I also jumped up from my computer chair when you set him on fire. It was like my favourtie football team scored. Super awesome! You are easily one of the most popular players at the moment big bro.” Mouse added, while suppling a thumbs up in Gabriel’s direction.  

 

“Thanks Mouse. But I don’t know if I'm that popular, I haven't done much recently. Plus, don’t forget when we attacked Eagle Peak together. I believe I saw plenty of comments on the video about the electrifying and beautiful Mage we got here.” Gabriel reminded, while playfully elbowing [Phat-Cat].  

 

The whole squad snickered, while [Phat-Cat] rolled her eyes and smacked Gabriel on the arm.  

 

“You guys don’t know how annoying it is. Besides a select few who talked about my actual skills, all the males commenting on the videos were all just talking about my looks. Calling me a Mary-sue or some bullshit, I even saw a few say it is good gender equality to bring a cheerleader along. Bunch of horny pricks and stupid men. Think they know shit; they don’t know nothing. I’ll show them though, I will zap and feather blade so many demons into oblivion on this raid, nobody will think I am just a pretty face or some petty ornament.” [Phat-Cat] chuckled menacingly at the end of her declaration, the sight gave all the other guys in the group goosebumps.  

 

[T] looked at his longtime friend with a worried expression. ‘Oh no, I think her father must have tried to contact her again. She is going to go berserk in this battle.’ [T] thought to himself, matching eyes with his older brother and receiving a quick nod.   

 

Gabriel noticed the strange atmosphere that fell over the group and thought it was odd, the usually calm and collected first lady of the group was suddenly enraged. He looked at the guys and saw them exchanging worried but knowing glances to each other. Figuring it wasn’t his place to ask anything, Gabriel decided to do the smart thing and divert [Phat-Cat's] attention instead.  

 

“Well give them a little break. It is a very beautiful face, it’s hard not to comment. Just remember that your outer beauty will capture their eyes, while your inner beauty will capture their hearts.” Gabriel said loud enough to grab everyone’s attention, while giving [Phat Cat] his best smile. [Phat-Cat] previously scrunched face loosened a little, as she raised a delicate eyebrow while giving Gabriel a smirking look. Gabriel could see [Rex] and Tom out the corner of his eye, as they both gave him slyly hidden thumbs up before he continued.  

 

“Don’t look at me like that. I’ve said it before dear maiden, you're a sight to behold.” Gabriel said, while giving [Phat-Cat] a playful nudge again. 

 

“Alright, enough with your honeyed words you. I bet those are the same words you say to all those little harlots, who comment on your videos about how manly and strapping you look.” [Phat-Cat] replied with another smack on Gabriel’s arm, her face however had loosened up entirely now, as she gave him an enchanting smile that made Gabriel gulp for a moment.  

 

The pair stared into each other's eyes, for what felt like to everyone else, a long couple of seconds, Tom had a big smirk on his face as he looked at his suddenly smooth-talking friend, while [T] looked to be repeating Gabriel’s words on beauty to himself, so he could remember them for use on someone later. 

 

“Big brother [Osiris], what about me? I’m petty handsome too. My grandmother always said that I was the best-looking young man she has ever seen.” Mouse interjected, interrupting the slowly heated atmosphere between the two.   

 

The group couldn’t help but laugh, as [Phat-Cat] broke eye contact first and went over to give Mouse a hug.  

 

“Grandma is right my little Mouse. You are the cutest and sweetest man I know. I also know a lot of pretty ladies will be trying to knock down your door, once people find out your IRL identity.” [Phat-Cat] replied, while giving Mouse a pinch on his reddened cheeks.  

 

The group continued to chat for a while before the column finally arrived at the top of a small hill. Once Gabriel stood on top of the rise and looked down into the valley below, he stopped for a moment to take in the sight. A flattened valley stretched out before him. Right in front of the army was a couple of miles long vineyard, with a road large enough for a truck to drive down in the middle. On either side was rows and rows of half rotten grape vines. Appearing like a mini forest, as the weeds and plants hadn’t been taken care of, leading their growth to run wild. On the right side was a densely populate forest that stretched all the way to a lake that was adjacent to the manor at the back. The lake was quite large as well and went further then Gabriel’s current eyes could see.  

 

Behind the Vineyard and right in front of the Manor was a small village, presumably for the workers of the lands. It held a messy assortment of 15-20 small dilapidated looking houses, with one larger two-story building near the end, looking to have once been an Inn. Behind that was a long stretch of barren field before you reached the overly opulent walled manor. The placed looked like a large plantation house you would fine in the south, appearing as wide as it was tall. The manor appeared to Gabriel, to be at least three floors high before ending in a flattened roof. This was not including the underground part of the manor, that Gabriel knew the Witches held their prisoners for their rituals and experiments in. The sound of a trumpet was heard from the army taking Gabriel away from his observations, the trumpet notified everyone it was time to muster. When the trumpet went off all Players participating in the raid received quest notifications, including Gabriel. 

 

[Quest updated! Coven of the [Horned God] Part II – Strength in numbers] 

Task 1. Join Imperium Army on the raid on Baroness Mengrel’s lands - 1/1 

Updated Task 2. Lead your squad of Imperium soldiers, along with the Imperium Army to destroy Baroness Mengrel’s standing army - 0/600 

Updated Task 3. Defeat the Three leaders of Baroness Mengrel’s army – 0/3 

Failure conditions: As a squad Captain of the Imperium Army, you must lead your men to victory but also remember that keeping your men safe, is just as important as victory. If all members of your squad are killed, you will fail Part II of this quest and your rewards will be significantly reduced. Squad Members - 22/22. - The number of soldiers alive after quest completion will also increase Experience Point reward. 

 

Gabriel read through his new quest information before he looked over towards the [Wolfpack] and Tom.  

 

What kind of quests did you guys get?” Gabriel asked.  

 

“I guess because we joined as a party, we all received the same mission. We have to go through the forest with an infiltration team from the army and destroy the magical defences of the army.” [Rex] replied.  

 

Gabriel saw the upper branch of the military organizing the army and noticed Rolo from his own squad was beckoning him over.  

 

“Alright I better get going then. Good luck guys, I will see you in the manor.” Gabriel replied turning to walk away. 

 

Tom’s arm shot out and grabbed a hold of Gabriel, halting him before he completely left their circle. 

 

“Hold up bud. I wanted to do this earlier but I needed to be stationary first. Give me your weird hook sword for a second.” Tom instructed before he equipped a strange looking hammer, that had a very skinny head on it and a sharpening belt from his inventory. 

 

Gabriel smiled at the appearance of the items, he unsheathed his khopesh and handed it to Tom without any questions. The [Wolfpack] looked at Tom with question gazes, as he began to work Gabriel’s blade careful along the sharpening belt, the end of the belt was held down by Tom’s boot so it was taut. Tom appeared to be mumbling something every time he pressed one side of the blade along the belt, it was accompanied with a ‘shclick’ noise and a light glow emanated from the belt. The black metal that made up the blade of the khopesh, began to take on a menacing shine, especially along the edges the longer Tom worked.  

 

After only a quick minute passed, Tom finished with the belt before laying the khopesh on the ground and getting down on one knee. With more mumbling from Tom, he raised his skinny hammer high, after a moment passed the handle of the hammer began to emit a soft blue glow, as the symbols etched into the handle lit up, he then brought it down on the middle of the blade. The [Wolfpack] gasped in shock, as it looked like Tom was trying to smash the blade with his pointy hammer. All that was heard though, when the point hit the bade, was a soft and delicate ‘ding’, like the noise of a small bell. Tom stood up with a smug grin on his face, as there was some minor perspiration on his brow, before handing the blade to Gabriel, who received it and quickly checked the stats of the blade.  

 

[KHOPESH of the Medjay: One-handed sword. (Rare) (Partially-Sealed) Req. Medjay Class] 

  • Damage: 45-65 (Slashing) 
  • Chance of critical: 10% 
  • Special effects: 
  • 15% Chance to disarm opponent if they are wielding a shield. 
  • +4 Strength 
  • +4 Agility 
  • 25% Chance to cause Burning (Dmg - 25 per second for 5 seconds) 
  • (Sealed) 
  • Item skill: Call of the Pharoah. Use 50 mana to summon a Medjay (Pharao's personal guards) For 30 seconds. The Medjay will be two levels above player's level. Equipped with Khopesh and Scorpion shield. Cooldown: 2 hours 

 

Gabriel smiled; his weapon had been finally partially unsealed. Causing the damage and critical chance to increase, plus a new special effect.  

 

“Well, I believe a congratulations are in order for you Tom. Good work on becoming the first Player [Arcane Blacksmith] in Roma. I better get to building that workshop I promised you.” Gabriel congratulated the gleefully smiling Tom. 

 

The rest of the [Wolfpack] all congratulated Tom, before [T] asked what everyone was thinking.  

 

“Can you upgrade our weapons like you did [Osiris]?” [T] asked, while looking at his one-handed hammer.  

 

“I can give them a temporary upgrade. [Osiris]’s weapon was a unique one, in that its total power was sealed. Part of my profession is removing seals on upgradeable weapons, although I can only do so on weapons up to Rare and even than only the first seal. But those are permanent increases, for other weapons I can add some temporary enchantments on them.” Tom explained.  

 

“Alright guys, I better get going. Make sure to capture everything for our channel. This will be quite an epic battle.” Gabriel said, leaving Tom while he explained the rest of his profession to the members of the [Wolfpack]. 

 

Once Gabriel arrived at his squad, he got an update from Rolo. That they will be marching down the main road in the middle of the vineyard with the majority of the army. Rolo also notified that the they didn’t send out any scouts as the enemy had already been spotted. Gabriel peered down the road, to the spot Rolo was indicating towards. Gabriel eyes landed on a group of figures; they were standing in a disorganized clump, where the road finished past the rows of rotten grapes and just before the entrance to the run-down village. Gabriel could just make out the group, it appeared to be about a hundred Witches, all appearing to be dressed in the outfits of the [Curse Witch] category. ‘That’s odd. I thought that the main group to meet us first would all be [Demonolgists], so they could summon their creatures to meet our army. The [Curse Witches] will just get run down by us, or smashed to pieces by the ballista once they get into range.’ Gabriel thought to himself. As Gabriel got into position with the rest of the squad and marched down the road, he kept looking around, as an uneasy feeling began to envelop him.  

 

Before the column made it to the halfway point, Gabriel noticed a slight movement on his left, among the tangle of grapvines he swore he saw something. Looking closer, Gabriel couldn’t see anything besides the overgrown vines, he suddenly felt a tug on his arm and turned to Draka that was standing next to him. Draka was peering to the right side of the column into an equally messy tangle of grapevines, Draka looked back to Gabriel with wide eyes, that made Gabriel’s heart start to race.  

 

“Captain, I think... I think I saw something among the vines. It looked like something that was buried in the soil when we walked past, had risen up.” Draka explained in a soft voice.  

 

“What did it look like?” Gabriel asked, while peering into the grapevines around him again.  

 

“It looked like a horn to me.” Draka replied.  

 

The word horn made Gabriel stop in his tracks, which forced his squad and the ones behind them to stop. Gabriel looked around at the vineyard on either side and then up to the [Curse Witches] whose faces now appeared visible. They all had greasy and smug smiles on their ugly mugs, as they glared at the approaching army. Gabriel felt like his stomach had dropped, while he yelled inside his mind, ‘Shit! How could I be so stupid!’.  

 

Gabriel unsheathed his khopesh and a throwing axe before turning to face the grapevines on the left side closest to him, leading to the rest of his squad looking at him with perplexed gazes. As Draka had noticed the peculiarities of the eerie silent lands and the odd shapes among the tangles to his sides as well, he pulled out his weapons too. The rest of squad followed after they noticed Gabriel’s focused gaze. The column had stopped, partially due to Gabriel holding up the back half, while the front half had arrived at a suitable distance for a mass javelin volley on the [Curse Witches] before they engaged. 

 

Gabriel had his eyes on one vine in particular. It was a half twisted root that stuck out of the ground, it was greyed and looked to be oozing some kind of blacked liquid. The gnarled root slightly moved, like a twitch, with what Gabriel originally thought was caused by the gently breeze but on careful consideration he began to think otherwise.  

 

A loud piercing trumpet whine echoed across the vineyard, that oddly enough, sounded like the pain bleats of a goat, it could be heard originating from the manor. The sound travelled over the lands and the smirking Witches at the front, started to make some movements, as they began to conjure spells. Gabriel’s attention was slightly shifted due to the noise but returned to the twisted root only after a moment. The root had completely changed in that time though, it wasn’t just a root anymore but a twisted clawed hand that was holding onto one of the grape vines next to it. With a heave, the hand pulled up the body of a greying, oozing demon, with ram horns on its head and a large axe in the hand that was hidden beneath the blackened soil. Everything happened far too quick, even for Gabriel, most of the soldiers just watched the Demon slowly rise from the ground without doing anything. 

 

“AMBUSH!!!” Gabriel roared, besides his squad who were watching where he was, the remaining greenhorn soldiers around him all got startled and looked around in a panic.  

 

“AMBUSH IN THE VINES!!” Gabriel roared again, as the previous revealed demon was soon joined by one more of his foul kin, then two and eventually in a short couple of seconds, he had a group of five blood curdling Demons all roaring towards the panicked and vulnerable soldiers.  

 

==============================================================================================

 

Authors note:

Hi everyone! I am currently working on raising funds for a couple of things at the moment, like an editor and I want to get a Map made for the world of Valhalla. If you want to support me and read chapters ahead of time, please visit my Patreon. https://www.patreon.com/DarkTidings

Thanks to everyone for reading so far!

11