This is Why
38 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the day comes to the end and Ash suffers in the appalling gridlock drive home. The highway of three lanes brought to a standstill as the 20 miles commute turns into an hour long ordeal.

“Hey, Amanda, want me to pick up dinner?”

A splash of color veils the world as her vibrant voice fills the small car, “I’m preparing dinner currently, so no need.”

“Your mother stopped by with food didn’t she?” Ash questioned.

“Can I never just cook dinner for us every so often?” She sounded fake hurt.

“Are you finally admitting you have feelings for me? It’s okay, we’ve lived together for three years it is only normal to fall for me.” He didn’t hide his teasing tone.

“Gosh, you are insufferable.”

“Thank you, so she did. What did she drop off?”

“Salmon, and crab.”

“Seafood, amazing! Guess there was some leftover at the farmer’s market.”

“I will never understand how you stomach this stuff.”

“Someone like you, who orders a burger at a restaurant on the shore will never understand.”

“Hey, it was an amazing burger.”

“I’m sure it was, but the lobster there was divine. Freshly caught there off the pier, was mouthwatering.”

“That reminds me, my folks are planning a trip up to the beach house and asked if we wanted to join.”

“When are they thinking?”

“Would be in two weeks,”

“I’ll check with my boss if he needs me all during that time, if he doesn’t, it sounds like fun.”

“Great, I’ll tell her.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll do it. Need to call her to thank her for the food. Sure you don’t want me to pick you up anything?”

“She dropped off some chicken for me as well.”

“Sounds great, see you soon.”

“See you soon!”

---

“Hey, Lilith! Calling to say thanks for the seafood.”

“Ash, honey, how many times do I have to tell you to call me mom?”

“At least one more time.”

“Guess I will have to hold back food until you do then.”

“Oh come on, you know Amanda would never cook dinner if you didn’t drop of food.”

“That damn daughter of mine, such an unruly child.” She sounded exasperated.

“When she does cook though, it is always amazing.” I praised sincerely.

“Every husband says that about their wife’s cooking as they fear death.”

I broke out into laughter, “I guess they all do. Mine is genuine then, as we aren’t married, let alone dating.”

“Such a pity, have no idea what she is thinking for not dating you.”

“I was also calling to say that pending me checking with my boss for time off; I will be able to join for the trip in two weeks.”  Ash swiftly changed subjects.

“Great!”

“I need to get running, just pull up home.”

“Bye, Honey!”

Ash tucked the phone in his pocket as a half smile curved up towards his left ear. He casually strolled up to the small single story house that he shared with Amanda. With the door open the heady aroma of the shellfish burst out.

“Honey! I’m home!” Ash playfully called out. He moseyed through the plain beige living room to the barely furnished kitchen.

She stood in front of the stove, fire flashed from the pan almost singing her long brunette hair as she poured a splash of white wine. She didn’t acknowledge Ash, her face contorted with focus, her forest green eye sparked orange from the fire. She was dressed in baggy lounge clothes that hid her figure.

Ash didn’t hold himself back so he snapped a picture, “Is this the beauty of the housewife?” He posted it into a group chat of 15 people.

He didn’t dwell so he went to the living to relax on the solitary dark blue couch that they found at a garage sale for cheap.

Eric: “Amanda is looking beautiful today.”

Sophie: “Eric, do you have anything else to add?”

Eric: “That you are infinitely more beautiful?”

Sophie: “What’s with the question mark!”

Holland: “Ash, you best accept responsibility for Eric’s death.”

Aster: “May he forever rest in peace.”

Eric: “Are you two going to pretend you didn’t save the photo?”

Aster & Holland: “There was a photo sent?”

Fauna: “Guys stop teasing Eric. He already on death’s door, let’s not add insult to injury.”

Roy: “Sophie just clocked out for the day, so she will likely be home within the hour Eric.”

Ash: “Eric, I’ll make sure to light a candle at your funeral.”

Natalie: “Eric Franklin, Time of Death: 19:35, Cause: Hypothesized to be from the stab wounds inflicted by an angry Girlfriend.”

Eric: “Assholes, the lot of you! At least I’m here willing to admit that Amanda is absolutely gorgeous.”

Amanda: “Eric, I have some baby photos that your mom sent me. Maybe it is time I sent them here.”

“Ash, did you seriously have to post the photo there?” Amanda was shaking her head as she took her place beside me.

“Just wanted to share your beautiful with our wonderful friends.” Ash spoke with a half smirk. She didn’t vocally respond as she repositioned herself so he head was against his chest.

“What are you doing?” Ash questioned, his head tilted to the side in confusion. She grabbed one of his arms and threw it over her chest so it looked like the two of them were cuddling on the couch together. Lost in a stupor Ash’s hazel eyes narrowed, which he was immediately broken out of as he saw her raise her phone up and instantly snap a picture of them.

“Amanda I swear to-” Before he could even finish his threat his phone buzzed, she posted the photo in the groupchat.

Eric: “Ash you piece of shit!”

Fauna: “You two look great together.”

Roy: “Who confessed first?”

Natalie: “The lowly dressed beautiful female lead, claimed by the elegantly dressed male lead. Perfect.”

Aster: “Ash, if you do anything to hurt her I will kill you.”

Amanda: “Owwww, he hurt me!”

Ash: “I swear Amanda! I will unfriend you on facebook.”

The groupchat fell into chaos as both Amanda and Ash immediately forgot about the gourmet dinner that grew cold on the table. They didn’t bother to untangle instead losing themselves to laughter from the antics of their friends.

It wasn’t for another hour that they remembered the food. The two didn’t complain about the situation as they ate in silence. Following the tranquil dinner the two went to sleep in their respective rooms. Ash was only in a pair of pajama pants as he curled under the blankets. “If life was a story, where would you make the first chapter?” He mumbled.

“How would you tell your story? Have you lived a life worth telling? That is for you to decide, but for me, every story is someone’s favorite.” He concluded as he succumbed to sleep.

2