Chapter 7: Allies?
19 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I realized as I was still laying on the deck, that was the first time I fought on a ship. The closest thing to fighting on a ship before this was trying to stop a drunk Issak from falling off into the ocean. The bodies were dropped into the ocean after the Owl’s Wings got out of the storm. It was a sad scene. It reminded me of the attack on my home and burying the dead ones afterward. May they rest in the gardens of Solis. I walked up to captain Stratford.
“So much for getting there before the storm,” I said to him, eyes looking another way.

“The storm was not a problem, the monsters were.” He said, in a sharp tone.

“Your soldiers were completely useless! What are they even doing here?” I asked him hastily.

“They are here, to get experience.” He started to raise his tone. “Listen here kid, you are just someone who wanted to tag along, so don’t go around talking down on people on MY ship.” 

He was going red, however, his eyes looked disappointed, almost as if he believed a part of this was his fault. I stepped down into the deck, and he went back to controlling the helm. 2 hours later after the attack, the smell of blood still lingers. The saltiness of the ocean and the metallic scent of blood did not mix well together. The bloodstains reminded me of where all the bodies were lying on the deck, even though they were thrown down the ocean. The feeling of dread on the ship reminded me of the day of the attack on Quiver Keep. After reminiscing about the past I decided to look up to the future. I was almost at my destination, slowly getting closer and closer to Vesper, maybe Chelsea.  The eagle was to be cooked, so I will get a good meal today. I tried to keep my hopes up by thinking about these positive thoughts as the Owl’s Wings strode fast to the magic continent of Magicae. 

That night, there was a feast on the Giant Eagles. The sailors and the soldiers looked a bit livelier as they chowed down on the 2 birds. I eventually joined them. The air was no longer filled with the metallic scent of blood, but instead, it was filled with festivity, a feeling I have not had in a long time. I have been with them for 3 days, yet no one on the ship really talks to me. In fact, they have been kind of distant from me, it was almost like they did not want to have anything to do with me. I tried to strike up a few conversations, but it was mostly just nods and people ignoring me. Was it because I was a mercenary?. I then tried to find the captain, but he did not seem to be anywhere. I checked the helm, there was only a sailor with squinted eyes that was stuck driving the ship. I tried asking him where the Captain was, but all I got was an annoyed grunt as he shooed me away. 

I walked back to the deck where the feast was at, as I saw the captain walking up from below deck. Captain Stratford slowly walked to the bow, giving out a heavy atmosphere. The noises of the feast died out almost instantly as put his hand in front of his mouth and cleared his throat.
“Boys, I have decided to host this feast to celebrate our victory against the storm and the monsters.” He started speaking in a loud and stern voice. “I would also like to apologize for the ones that we have lost. May they find peace in the sanctuary of Kilena.”

“May they find peace,” The crew said in union

“ I would also like to express my gratitude to THE HERO” He pointed at me. “Who one-handedly killed both of the monsters that dared attack us.”
The crew members started screaming out congratulations and comparing me to the ancient heroes. Captain Stratford walked down from the bow heading in my direction. After the congratulations, Stratford came to me, with his hands out again. I shook his hand.

“I have never asked, what are you called?” He looked at my eyes while smiling. 

“The name is Ivo, Ivo Cadman,” 

“Well then Mr.Cadman, why don’t we talk in my private cabin, I have a proposal for you,”

I nodded to him and he led me down below deck. Why was I never allowed to go below deck? It seemed normal, like anything you would expect from any ship. We came to a hallway with only left or right, the left side looked like a dark hallway that is almost run down, on another hand, the right side was lit up with candles and looked well kept. We turned right, and he led me to his cabin. It was big, with medals and paintings on the walls. He sat down at his office desk and motioned me to sit on the other side. What does he want from me? 

“Alright, Mr.Cadman, I would like to get straight to the point.” He pointed his finger at a lamp. Why does he want to show me that? I was a bit puzzled before I noticed there was something moving inside of that lamp. 

“That is a pixie in there,” Stratford said, as his face became stern.

Pixies and all other humanoid races were treated as equals in every country that I knew

The pixie that I was seeing was probably a product of slavery.

“Yes, yes, that is a pixie, a slave pixie” Stratford continued. “Listen, life on the sea does not pay that much, so I picked up a… side job.”
“And what does this have to do with me?” I said, narrowing my eyes.

“I want to hire you. As you can tell, the sailors and the soldiers that I have do not have the high efficiency in combat that I wanted. That is why I want to hire you.” He said, stern, yet calm. 

“I do not need any money nor do I need any trouble with the law, I only want to get to Magicae,” I said, raising my voice.

“May I ask, what is it that you are looking for in Magicae? Power? Fame? Or perhaps it is a who?” 

“It is none of your problems!” I said, slamming my hands on the table as I stood up. 

“I’m afraid it is now, after I have told you about it. Listen, I am willing to pay you greatly for your cooperation. With money, whatever it is that you are planning to be doing will be MUCH easier.” Stratford now has a grin on his face.

I didn’t think that he was going to let me leave this ship alive, now that I refused this offer. I was not going to be a part of his illegal slave-trading scheme. I stared at him, for a moment, and then at his rapier. His hazel eyes were sharp as a nail, and I felt a chill on my back. This man radiated a more dangerous feeling than anyone I have met, even more than the monsters. My heart started beating fast, and I was getting a cold sweat. He’s strong. 

“I accept,” I said. Putting my left hand out for a shake.

“Wise decision” 

As he reached out to shake my hand, I immediately went for my ax, but as soon as I touched my ax, his rapier was already at my neck. I dodged back hastily, almost losing my balance. He lunged at me, as I made myself lighter to get out of the way. He plunged his rapier right through his wall and pulled back like it was nothing. I finally was able to unsheathe my ax, as he started chanting a spell, Here is my chance. I came at him with a vertical slash, and I felt my heart starting faster as he stopped chanting the spell.

“Weakling, that was a bluff,” He said, with a confident face.

And that confident face was the last thing I saw as he plunged his rapier into my abdomen, right before I could bring my ax down.

2