Chapter 9: The Unseen, and an unexpected friend.
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Clak

Clak 

Clak

The sounds of the guard’s footsteps caused me to go uneasy. The breathing from my mouth seemed to be as loud as ever, Alberto doing the same right next to me, not any calmer. We were both at the side of the door, the blind spot where the guard can’t see without walking in.  Cold sweat ran down my face as I waited for the door to be open. Alberto started making hand signs, while whispering the spell’s chants, with my necklace in his other hand. 3….2….1.

As soon as the key clicked in, the chant finished as we turned invisible. The guard widened his eyes and put his hands on his head. He went inside the cell to inspect it, that’s our chance. We stepped outside of the cell and closed the door. We couldn’t lock it, but hopefully, the door could buy us some time. We ran down the hallway, it was the same dark hallway that I saw while following Stratford to his cabin. The only thing that was indicating that Alberto was with me is the sounds of his footsteps. I couldn’t even see his shadow. Amazing magic. We decided that we wouldn’t talk during this so that we make as little sound as possible.

We got to the cabin in only 1 minute, but that was already a fifth of our time. We also needed the same amount of time to get back from there, so we only had 3 minutes to search for the ax. We sneakily opened the door a little, just enough to peek in to see if he was in here. We came in as it seemed to be empty, the ax was no where in sight. Damn It. We had about 2 minutes before we had to go. Where is it? As I was panicking, I heard tapping on a glass. I looked around and noticed the lamp where he kept the pixie in. She can see us? I was amazed for a split second, but then I realized that she knows what we were here for. I came closer to the lamp, and I saw a red hair pixie with a dragonfly’s wings on her back. Her blue eyes lit up as she seemed to be glad that I noticed her. She then pointed to the captain’s desk. That’s genius! Why did I not think of that? I immediately went for the desk, I looked into every drawer that the ax could fit through, but I could not find it. 1 minute left, I was panicking again until I heard Alberto walk up to the desk and flipped the top of the desk up. A secret drawer, I wonder how he knows about it. The ax was in there, I went to grab it as fast as I could, it turned invisible as I put it on my back. Afterward, I closed the drawer and we immediately went for the door, back to our cell. However, I could hear a tapping sound again. I tried to open the lamp, but it was locked. Should I save her? Or should I just leave? I had to save her, she helped me find the ax, I owed her at least that. I broke the lamp and she got on my shoulder, and she flew away out of the door. I bolted out of the door, I did not know if Alberto went ahead of me or not. I ran as fast as I could, but I could hear the guard leading Stratford to our cell. I reached the cell before they did, however, and I got in and closed the door. I did not know if Alberto was in the cell or not, I could only pray that he is. I could see the captain through the tiny bars, and as soon as the door was opened, the invisibility spell ran out. Alberto was there, in the corner of the room, sweating. A chill ran down my spine as I remembered that I had a battle ax on my back. I reached back to it, ready to fight if the captain started swinging his rapier. But blood flowed away from my face as I could not feel it on my back. The captain stepped in our cell with the guard.

“I thought you said they weren’t here?” Stratford said, folding his arms. 

“I could swear that they weren’t,” The guard said, his mouth wide open.

“Lying is a punishable offense on this ship! Think before you answer my question, did you lie to me about them?”
“Y-yes sir, I am so sorry sir.” The guard finally said, with cold sweat running down his cheeks.

“Meet me in my cabin first thing tomorrow morning, I will see what to do with you. And for you two, the offer still stands until noon tomorrow.”

He finally left the cell grumpily, followed by the guard. We sighed right after they left. But my worries didn’t end there. I looked back and forth to find my ax, but to no prevail. 

“Wheres the ax!” Alberto asked me frantically

“I DON’T KNOW” I yelled at him, still trying to find it.

I stepped on something while frantically panicking. It was… my ax! How? Almost immediately, a light flew out from behind me. 

“Thank you! For getting me out of that lamp” The light flew up to my face to reveal that it was the pixie.

“Turn my ax back to normal!” I said in a very raised voice. 

“Not until you tell me how you gonna get out of here.” She said while smirking. 

I stared her down. She did not look like she was going to back out from her offer. What other way do I have?. She’s not going to tell anyone about the plan, she was a slave herself. I closed my eyes as I thought to myself.
“Fine.” I said

I explained to her the plan on how we were going to get out of here. She seemed to be happy with it.

“I’m Fayette.” She said with a smile on her face. 

She had this… aura of light with her. It was almost like she brought a piece of the sun with her wherever she goes. Are all pixies like this. It would have been rude to ask that, so I didn’t. She will get in the same cargo as I was tomorrow, and everything else should go according to plan. 

“We should sleep, important day tomorrow,” Alberto said.

Tomorrow. Yes, finally, tomorrow was the day when I step foot in the country that held my friends. Tomorrow was the day when I can take my first major step on achieving my duty. I was anxious, but also was… excited. I haven’t felt this excited in a while. This excitement was like the time when I wanted to work alone on a job, or when I first held a blade. I lay on the rocky floor of the cell, as I drifted off away while thinking to myself to be ready for tomorrow.

1