Chapter 22: The Start to Blackburn
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“So instead of going to Cevine instantly, you want us to go to Blackburn?” Alberto asked me, counting the Hydras that Zeltan gave us for our quest. I nodded quickly, I had hoped that he wouldn’t question it. 

“You're coming with us, right? I want to go to Blackburn as well! Got some families there that I want to visit.” Fayette asked Alberto. Blackburn, the forest city. It was called the forest city because it used to be a great forest, a wildland, and then people came to colonize that area, and that was about ninety years ago. Humans built towers and buildings all over that forest, creating a harmonic sight of nature and civilization, that’s what I read in books. Fayette made a pleading face, flying right in front of Alberto’s cranky face. Alberto took out the note that Zelgan gave him, skimmed through it, and finally responded.

“Fine, we shall go to Blackburn. It is all the way anyways, and I might have business there as well,” Alberto said. I was glad that he decided to come with us as I did not want to go alone, but I would have if I had to, the lead on Chelsea leads to Blackburn after all. There was still one problem, we didn’t know where to get a carriage to Blackburn. 

“We could go to a marketplace, and find someplace to hire a carriage.” Said Alberto, as he was reading the words on my face. I nodded attentively as he started walking towards a market area. How does he always come up with these ideas so quickly? I thought to myself. I was glad that I had him as a companion, maybe even a friend. Fayette flew right above us, looking out for any carriage driver. The marketplace was huge, with people yelling out their products to attract customers. The products were mostly fishes, clams, shellfishes, or anything that lives under the sea. It is a harbor city after all. However, depression filled the atmosphere as paperboys spread out news of the calamity at the Norone festival. I thought back at the hospital, to the stage where Keres the cult leader was at, there were people in this city that got on the stage, scared into joining them. What in the world happened to them after the festival? My train of thought was interrupted by an argument between a few merchants.

“There is no way that is true! Cevine is too strong to fall to a CULT like that!” The merchant with a big mustache from his face yelled out at a tanned man who had the look of a sailor. 

“That’s what the paper is saying. The paper is made by the Royal Department of Communication, are you saying the King is wrong?” The man with a big mustache was taken back at that sentence. He went quiet after that and just went back into his shop, attending to his handful of customers. The news spread fast. Cevine being in the Leora religion’s hands just made finding Vesper much harder. I decided to brush off that thought, leaving the exact plan to later. 

“There!” Fayette yelled out as she pointed into a shop with a horse carriage sign that says: “Hire a carriage!” 

“Well that was easy,” I said out loud. Alberto had a funny look on his face, it was a mix of surprise and obvious look. We headed towards the building. From the outside, the building displayed different posters of destinations, mostly advertising travel hotspots. We walked into the large building, there was a shopkeeper to the right of the door that we just walked in, with an old man standing behind the counter. There were few people inside, well dressed. I looked down at myself, and to Alberto and Fayette. Fayette was still wearing the set of clothes that she was on Stratford’s ship, Alberto had clothes that were given to us on the bed of the hotel by that nice lady in Moonbright district, while I had the same clothes. These clothes were considered casual, but well enough to appear in public. The other people in the shop were dressed more formally, however, it was almost noble, but not quite yet.  It makes sense, the people that use carriages are mostly wealthy people after all. Alberto walked to the counter while I was still admiring the details of the shop, looking to ask a few questions about the service.

“Hello, we are looking for a carriage heading towards Blackburn, what would be the earliest day for that and how much would it cost?” Asked Alberto, the old men kept quiet when he brought out what looked like a schedule book. He flipped through the old pages that looked like they could crumble at any moment and pointed to a column. 

“The fifth of Norone? That’s like a week from now!” Alberto said in disappointment. That’s too long for me too, I need to be there as soon as I can. The shopkeeper just shrugged at that, not being able to do anything.  Some of the other customers in the shop stared at us as we said that, some had a disappointed look on their face, while others quickly went back to their business. A man came toward us momentarily after Alberto screamed out at the shopkeeper. 

“Excuse me, good sirs, are you looking for a carriage?” He caught me off guard with his respectful tone. I turned around to look at the nice-looking middle-aged man with a slim build, dressed up like a butler of a nobleman. 

“Why do you want to know?” Fayette asked, since when did she land on my shoulder?
“Hush, Fayette. Yes, that would be us, may I ask what business do you want with us?” Said Alberto politely. The man took out his hand at me and not Alberto. I shook it, forcing a smile on my face. 

“I am but a humble butler for Baron Brewston of Blackburn. You might not recognize me but at the Norone Festival, you saved the Baron and me from that Firebolt spell, I saw it with my own eyes, you had your back against me.” I did block an incoming Firebolt from hitting the citizens, but there was a noble in the crowd? 

“I appreciate you reaching out, but I was only doing my job, no needs to thank me.” Said I, shaking my head at his appreciation. As a mercenary and an adventurer, only the job mattered, if it wasn’t for the quest, I didn’t know if I was going to block that Firebolt with my body or not. 

“Well, the Baron thinks differently, and I think you would like this as well.” He continued with a generous smile on his face. “The Baron said he is willing to hire you as adventurers for protection on the road to Blackburn while giving you a free ride and some money in return. Just think of it as a way he expresses gratitude.” 

“But-” I couldn’t finish the sentence as Alberto jumped into my throat.

“We would appreciate that very much. Thank you so much. But I thought all of the carriages that are close to today are booked!” I looked at Alberto. This man jumps at every opportunity he gets! But we did need it, so I sunk to silent and let Alberto handle all of the talking. 

“Nobles have their own special deals, don’t think about it too much, follow me, we are about to leave in 30 minutes.” 30 minutes? That’s fast. It was certainly better than waiting for a whole week just to get a carriage, and this was basically free! We followed him outside through the back door to meet a fancy-dressed man that looked to be in his 70s. He did not seem surprised at our arrival. There were actually two carriages, one looked shiny and decorated with gold and shiny gems, while the other one was as basic as a carriage could get. Each of them had a rider already sitting on them. 

“Ah, my esteemed saviors!” The noble greeted us as we arrived at the carriage. “You can call me Baron Brewston, or Lord Brewston, or just The Lord. I have come to your much-needed rescue as you have come to mine two nights ago, come on now, the road will get dark before we know it!” He said while laughing loudly. He’s quite annoying. But I will take it over waiting another week. As I walked to the pretty carriage, the butler stopped me. 

“No, you are over there,” he pointed to the basic carriage. “This one is for the Baron, his family, and his close servants.” That makes sense. Alberto looked at that carriage with nostalgia, and he silently walked to the basic carriage. Was he a noble? I thought to myself. Fayette flew behind him as I followed quickly after. This is it, Chelsea, I’m coming! Hang on there, wherever you are in Blackburn! 

 

0