Chapter 15: Ripples – Imperial Conference
105 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

October 15, 1614 Central Calendar, 09:00

Albion Palace, Audience Hall

On the 15th of every three months, the Holy Milishial Empire will hold an Imperial Conference to decide the future policy of the nation. As the highest-level meeting in the Empire during peacetime, the Imperial Conference will be attended by the most important officials in the Empire and the Emperor himself. Given the Empire’s position as the world’s strongest nation, any decisions made at this meeting could have far-reaching consequences for the entire known world.

The venue of the meeting, the Albion Palace, which also serves as the residence for the Emperor and his family, is a majestic building located in the heart of the Empire’s government district, built from pure white marble and colorful stained glass in a style of architecture reminiscent to what the people from Earth called the ‘Gothic architecture.’ The magical lights made the palace shine so brightly at night that it is even visible in the distance to anyone coming to the capital from the eastern hills or from the western port.

The Albion Palace was built during the reign of the Second Milishial Emperor, and it was expanded by his successors until it becomes a large complex occupying 33 hectares of land, surrounded by white fortified walls and towers that separated it from the rest of the city. Furthermore, the palace complex and the surrounding government district are also guarded by a battalion of the Holy Milishial Imperial Guard equipped with the best equipment that the Empire has to offer, making it an impenetrable fortress. Even as the high-rise buildings began to appear in Runepolis, the Albion Palace retained its splendor as the symbol of might, wealth, and prosperity of the strongest superpower in the known world, bar none.

It is said that the name of the palace, ‘Albion’, was given in honor of the architect who built the palace, but since it happened so long ago, the truth has been lost to the people.

As the time was nearing the scheduled meeting time, the participants began to arrive and occupy the seats within the Audience Hall. Located on the western wing of the Albion Palace, it is a circular room lavishly decorated with blue marble floor and white walls, as well as a dark blue-painted, dome-shaped ceiling adorned with golden geometric patterns.

A currently empty golden throne sits at the north end of the room, and behind it, a sky-blue banner with the Holy Milishial Empire’s August Star emblem hangs proudly. Its design, which is inspired by the act of Gods that banished the enemy of mankind, the Ancient Sorcerous Empire, implies the Empire’s position as the center of the world and serves as a reminder to everyone present of the Empire’s role as the protector of the world from their return.

Behind the Audience Hall’s seats, stood the eight towering marble statues of the country’s emperors arranged in a clockwise pattern, with the statues of the First and Eighth Emperors flanking the throne.

However, there are two strange things in this room.

The first is the statue of the First Milishial Emperor. Unlike the other statues, which were polished to utmost perfection, this one is heavily ruined, with the only thing left being the lower part of the torso and its legs.

Second, there is an empty seat located very close to the throne. As far as everyone remembered, that particular seat is always empty whenever an Imperial Conference is held, but judging from its position which is so close to the place where the Emperor is seated, it must have been reserved for someone of a very important position.

Arsene Lippin, the Director of the Ministry of Ancient Sorcerous Empire Countermeasures, sat in his chair, drumming his finger on the table to drown out his anxiety. As he glanced around the Audience Hall, where officials wearing colorful attires in different styles already filled the room and began talking to each other, Lippin took a deep breath and exhaled.

Like everyone else, he tried to look presentable for the meeting and came to the Albion Palace wearing the best outfit he has in his wardrobe, but his nervous expression ruined his otherwise attractive appearance, with his immaculate white suit, cleanly shaved face, and raven hair slicked back with several locks falling freely and framing his face. At that moment, a voice called out from behind him.

“Director?”

Lippin turned around and saw the owner of the voice. It was Robin, who accompanied him to the meeting as his assistant. She’s dressed in a dark green dress shirt with a maroon coat and pants, giving her an androgynous look that, if it weren’t for her bust, would pass for a very attractive man. She also has her familiar red scarf draped loosely around her shoulders, as she always does.

With a concerned look, Robin handed the Director a bottle of water, which Lippin gladly took.

“Thank you,” Lippin said. “I’ve been present in this hall many times before… but I’ll never get used to this,” he chuckled bitterly.

The brunette didn’t say anything and took a seat on Lippin’s left side, and not long after that, they were approached by an auburn-haired man wearing a navy blue-colored attire. He greeted Lippin and Robin with a polite tone, to which Lippin responded with a brief nod.

“Mr. Birkburn,” Robin greeted.

“Robin, it’s been a while,” the man nodded.

“The Imperial Conference should begin any moment soon, take your seat.”

“Yes, sir.”

This man is Andreas Birkburn, Robin’s superior in the Ancient Arms Analysis Tactical Operations Department, and one of the heads of departments within the MOASEC under Lippin’s leadership. However, as information regarding this organization is top-secret, the department never existed officially and they are referred to as General Affairs Department Technical Officers who accompanied Lippin.

From the corner of their eyes, they saw a high-ranking government official walk to the center of the Audience Hall. Wearing a Milishian blue and gold uniform, this elven official, which belonged to the Imperial Household Office, stood straight and announced to the participants.

“His Majesty will be joining us soon. Ladies and gentlemen, I inquire you to please stand up and wait for a moment.”

Then, an ornate door between the statues of the Second and Third Emperors opened with a dull thud, and from it, an elderly elven man dressed in a regal robe emerged. As they all bowed down reverently to the man, he walked towards the throne with an impassive expression and took the seat on the throne.

“You may raise your heads,” the earlier official raised his voice and then served as moderator.

The elderly elf sitting on the throne is none other than the monarch of the most powerful empire in the world, Lucius Eldart Hollowrain de Milishial, also known as Emperor Milishial VIII. He has long white hair with parts of it are arranged in a braid that frames his face, and a long beard that reached his torso. Wearing a regal light green attire with white, gold, and blue accents, and complemented by a golden headdress with a single blue gem atop his head, he radiated an air of authority and dignity. His light blue eyes cast a stern look at the audience members in the hall.

At the age of 4.000 years old, an unusually long lifespan for his race, the town elf, Emperor Milishial VIII is currently the longest-reigning monarch of the Holy Milishial Empire. Under his rule, the Empire underwent a significant change, abandoning its expansionist policy to focus on the internal development and prosperity of the country, and switching to an international policy of friendship and peace. It was under his rule that the Empire truly prospered as the greatest nation in the world, and the people from all over the country prayed for his continued health.

The moderator then raised his voice again to address the participants of the meeting.

“The fourth Imperial Conference of the year 1614 of the Central Calendar is now in session, please take your seats.”

The sound of shuffling chairs echoed throughout the hall.

The Imperial Conference proceeded as many times before. Members of the Empire’s executive departments, the Ministers of Internal Affairs, Foreign Affairs, Military Affairs, Education, Economy, Agriculture, Treasury, Justice, and Health, each presented their reports and proposals in turn. The participants and the Emperor will occasionally make some remarks during the explanation, and the ministries seemed to be able to answer their inquiries without difficulty.

And finally, it’s Lippin’s turn. The Director of the Ancient Ministry rose from his seat, walked to the stand located at the center, bowing deeply to the Emperor, and started his report. All other participants also looked at the documents distributed beforehand while listening to what Lippin had to say.

“……The Ministry of Ancient Sorcerous Empire Countermeasures is currently in the process of continuing the research and development of improved versions of our current military equipment, especially the conductive magnetic radar. We have succeeded in reverse-engineering the Ancient Sorcerous Empire’s conductive magnetic radar and a more advanced computation unit, and putting them to practical use. They are scheduled to enter mass production next month, along with the disclosure of the technical details. As for the matters such as the refurbishment of military equipment and the production of new weapons implementing the new technology, we will leave it to the Ministry of Military Affairs.”

“““Ooooh……”””

After he said that much, the hall erupted in hushes. It’s easy to see why Lippin’s report elicited such a reaction. After all, combining the functions of the ministry of technology seen in Mu and the ministry of magic in other countries, in addition to being the government organization directly responsible for dealing directly with the Ancient Sorcerous Empire’s technology and advancing the Holy Milishial Empire’s magic technology, the MOASEC continued to produce defective copies and failures, but under the leadership of Arsene Lippin, a young nobody who had only been in office for a very short time, they are able to accomplish something that the previous leaders had been unable to do one after another.

From her seat, Robin could see that a majority of the politicians are whispering to each other, some looked skeptical, and finally, a politician occupying the seat of the Interior Affairs Minister shot a curious eyebrow at Lippin. The person in question tried his best to remain stone-faced the entire time, feeling the stares directed at his back and the Emperor’s gaze directly in front of him.

“Looks like it went well,” she muttered.

“Hm,” Birkburn grunted in affirmation, “Let’s hope that it will continue as it is.”

“Yeah…”

Seeing that no one wanted to ask Lippin a question, he continued.

“In addition, the development of a new type of engine for the Heavenly Vessel is also beginning to be conducted… However, before we can proceed with the building of a prototype, we need to address the procurement of the resources, as the new type of engine will use a new type of alloy that requires this specific material in a significant quantity…” Lippin stated with an anxious expression on his face. “For that matter, Miss Robin Calvello is more familiar than I am, therefore I will allow her to explain this matter.”

At the cue, Robin stood up from the seat, walked to Lippin’s side, and began her explanation in a clear voice. She explained in great detail about the newly invented magic turbojet engine and about the new NMC-22-based alloy used in the construction, their advantages, and how they can close the technology gap between themselves and the Ancient Sorcerous Empire. When Robin finished explaining, Emperor Milishial VIII looked thoughtful.

“Hm… I see, you have a point,” he started, his deep voice echoing clearly across the Audience Hall. “Finding the usefulness of something that no one ever thought before to bridge the gap between us and the Ancient Sorcerous Empire… your ingenuity is greatly appreciated. Very well, you may proceed with your proposal.”

Hearing the praise from their Emperor made Lippin and Robin straighten their backs in pride. It’s extremely relieving for Lippin, who felt his nervousness melt away, replaced by growing confidence. As for Robin, she was glad that the Emperor had listened to her reasoning.

As for the other ministries, the approval of the MOASEC’s proposal by the Emperor meant that they will have to act according to their requirements eventually, no matter how strange it will be. Such is the extent of the Ancient Ministry’s influence within the government.

“May I ask a question?” A masculine voice then sounded from their right side, amplified through the loudspeakers installed in the Audience Hall. It belonged to a golden-haired man wearing a black and golden uniform sitting in the seat of the Minister of Internal Affairs, Count Benedict Legendorga.

“Minister Legendorga, please,” the moderator gave the permission.

“Thank you,” the Internal Minister adjusted the microphone in front of him before speaking again, “I would like to know if you have planned the procurement of those materials.”

Legendorga’s question is answered immediately by a woman with light brown-colored hair tied in a bun named Edith Sommerville, the Director of the Ministry of Economy. She raised her hand and spoke to the microphone.

“According to the information from the Economy Ministry, the Non-Magic Conductible ore number 22 deposits are found in mines that have been closed decades ago and in the small mines used for research purposes within our lands. In accordance with the Ancient Ministry’s proposal, we can reopen and redevelop these closed mines in order to mine them, and a new survey might be needed.”

When the Empire was surveying its land in the past, they encountered deposits of ores from which the NMC-22 can be extracted, such as what they call the ‘golden red stone’ and ‘sharp gimlet stone’. However, since it has no magical value and was deemed useless by the Empire, only a handful of small mines are being kept for research purposes, while others were closed. In addition to acting as requested by the MOASEC, the Ministry of Economy also saw this as a perfect chance to reduce the unemployment rate, which was beginning to show a growing trend.

Legendorga nodded, satisfied with the answer, but inwardly he muttered, ‘Hmm… that was quick and precise, did the commoners cover each other’s back here?

Director Sommerville continued, “I wanted to add that the ores can also be found in large numbers within mines located in our neighboring countries to the north and to the Altaras Island south of the Third Civilization Area, and since they also cannot find any use for it, they are literally treated like dirt with no value. While the redevelopment of the domestic mines is still in progress, we can acquire the resources at an unbelievably cheap cost through trade with these countries. Of course, extraterritoriality and tax exemption rights of the Empire’s citizens are to be acknowledged.”

Another politician raised his hand, this time it is Marquess Ignis Schmill Pao, the elven Minister of Military Affairs.

“If the Empire shows interest in what is seen as worthless for the other countries, they may attempt to raise the price. What if they do that? Furthermore, what should we do if Mu notices this? Sooner or later they will notice their value and maybe try to make a move themselves.”

The Military Minister also voiced concern about the superpower across the ocean, Mu. Being the second strongest country in the known world, Mu currently has a cordial relationship with the Holy Milishial Empire, but there have been times in the past when their spheres of influence overlapped and nearly caused them to butt heads, such as the naval standoff in 1592 over the disputed islands in the middle of the Minerva Ocean, a crisis in which Mu conceded because they were still recovering from the Mu Civil War and too weak to face HME in open war. That has caused many in the Holy Milishial Empire to underestimate them.

However, Mu is still a superpower. As the nation with the technology level closest to the Empire in this world, a modern nation capable of keeping up with the HME to some degree with nothing but their own power, the upper echelons of the Empire’s government is wary of them and wanted to keep Mu away from their sphere of influence.

Minister Schmill Pao thought that the other nations that are ignorant of their newly discovered value will gladly sell the ‘junk ores’ in their territory to the Empire. In fact, he considered buying from them is already generous since the Empire can just take them for free. But due to the nature of the NMC-22 as a non-magical element, Mu, which is a mechanical civilization, will sooner or later realize what the Empire is up to and may come to the nations with a better offer, snatching them into their sphere of influence.

Little did they know that Mu will once again prove that they are a nation worthy of being called a superpower in the near future.

“If that is the case, then Maddock,” Milishial VIII interjected, calling out to the Foreign Minister, Baron Lewis Maddock.

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

“In exchange for mining rights and keeping the price as set by the Holy Milishial Empire, you may offer them some of the Empire’s magic technology and infrastructure during the negotiations with those nations.”

“A-are you sure, Your Majesty!?”

Maddock was taken aback by the old Emperor’s words.

“I am. Taking away something unilaterally from other nations without giving something in return is very unbecoming to my country. As the strongest nation in the world, we must show our dignity. Offer them reasonable support to allow them to develop their capability to mine resources and to keep them at our side. However, the development of mines within the Empire still takes top priority. Is that clear?”

Emperor Milishial VIII brought a point of upholding the Empire’s dignity by being generous. If not, the world will see the so-called protector of all races as no different than Parpaldia Empire, an emerging ‘superpower’ to the east which was ruthlessly subjugating and enslaving its neighboring nations one after another. The brief thought of being compared to the Parpaldians, a nation considered by the Milishian people as no different than the ‘barbarians’ that they are conquering leaves a sour taste in everyone’s mouth.

Now that the Emperor has spoken, Maddock had no choice but to follow.

“Yes, Your Majesty, we will do as you will.”

Milishial VIII nodded slightly and turned to the MOASEC Director and his assistant standing in front of him.

“Lippin, continue providing us with good results. I am looking forward to the Ancient Ministry’s efforts.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty!”

Emperor Milishial VIII waved his hand to dismiss them.

With this, the bureaucratic hurdle for building the magic turbojet engine has been cleared. With a feeling of immense relief, Robin can’t stop herself from grinning as they go back to their seats.


After the Imperial Conference was over in the afternoon, Director Arsene Lippin and his entourage waited a bit until most of the participants go home first. As they were walking along the ornate halls of the Albion Palace’s corridor, Birkburn spoke to the other two MOASEC members.

“I am so relieved. I was worried that His Majesty will not be so easy to convince.”

Lippin nodded and answered with an expression free of nervousness unlike before, “I was thinking of the same thing. Well… either way, everything is going well for us. Robin, you did good back then. Thank you for your hard work.”

Smiling, Robin made a dramatic bow with her hand on her chest, “I’ll take your praise in stride, sir. But it’s also thanks to Director Sommerville, if it wasn’t for her, we might have a more difficult time convincing everyone.”

That’s right. Prior to the Imperial Conference, Lippin managed to lobby the head of the Ministry of Economy, Director Edith Sommerville, and the two of them made a plan that support each other’s interests. Minister Legendorga’s hunch was right, the two executive officials of the common background are covering each other’s backs.

“True. I’m glad she still trusted us after so many nasty rumors around the Ancient Ministry,” Lippin lamented. His predecessor had left him with a terrible legacy, but thanks to his reliable subordinates, they are able to disprove those rumors one after another.

The Director stopped and turned to the two.

“There are still so many to discuss, we will head to the MOASEC at once.”

While Birkburn nodded, Robin raised her hand.

“I need to call someone, do you mind?”

“Hm? Oh, of course,” Lippin said, “We will wait in the car.”

Robin bowed in gratitude as they continued their walk. When they were some distance away, Robin reached into her coat’s pocket and pulled out her grimoire, searching for a certain someone’s number. Her call was answered almost immediately by the other side.

Yes,” the voice spoke over a slight noise in the background. Robin raised an eyebrow at this.

“Meteos! Where are you?”

I’m buying some books. I suppose the meeting is over?

“That’s right. We’re just finishing. By the way, I want to tell you that I will be staying out late, so have dinner without me.”

I understand, I’ll tell Walman.

“Wait, Meteos!” she exclaimed.

Yes?

“Make sure you sleep on time. No overworking.”

…Alright.

Robin rolled her eyes at the slight delay in the answer.

“I don’t believe you.”

What? I thought trust is important in a healthy relationship?” Meteos’ voice drawled.

“Feh… cheeky brat. Listen, I’m just worried about your health, okay? I’ll call you again tonight just to make sure.”

Meteos sighed, “Yes, of course. Thank you very much for your concern, Miss Robin. I will sleep on time.

“You better. Okay then, have a great day!”

With that, Robin cut off the call.

“That kid, even His Majesty listened to me, why couldn’t he do the same?” she grumbled and entered another set of numbers on her grimoire.

After waiting for a moment, someone answered her call.

Hello?” a lovely young girl’s voice sounded from the other side.

“Hello, Nadia, how are you?”

Um… I am in a bookstore right now, Miss Robin.

How curious,’ Robin thought, and continued to speak to the grimoire.

“I see. By the way, Nadia, can I ask you for a favor?”

I don’t mind, what is that?

“It’s quite simple,” Robin stifled a chuckle before continuing, “At ten o’clock tonight, can you call Meteos and tell him to go to sleep?”

……Eh!?

“What’s wrong? Can you do it or not?”

Err… I really don’t mind, but why me?

“You see… you know Meteos has a habit of staying up late to work, right? It worsens lately. You noticed how tired he looked in school, right?”

Yes…

“I am so worried that he might get sick, but no matter how many times I tell him he never listens,” Robin sighed, “If he got sick and got hospitalized, what should I tell his parents?”

As Robin continued to speak of her woes in taking care of her students, Nadia listened silently from the other side.

………

“So I think that if it’s you who speak to him, he might listen. He seems to be very nice to you, after all. Can you do that?”

…I understand, I’ll do it.

“Atta girl, now I gotta go, it was nice speaking with you! Goodbye!”

Have a nice day, Miss Robin.

With a satisfied nod, Robin tucked the grimoire back into her pocket and went to join her superiors in the parking lot. It’s going to be an all-nighter again, but with a lightened heart, Robin walked the palace corridor in a bright mood.


Currently Publicly Available Information

NOBILITY AND COMMONERS IN THE GOVERNMENT

In the Holy Milishial Empire's government, officials from the nobility and commoner backgrounds are referred by different titles

In the Holy Milishial Empire’s government, officials from the nobility and commoner backgrounds are referred by different titles. For example, the heads of the executive departments in the Empire will be called a “Minister” if they are a noble, and a “Director” if they are a commoner. This is only a formal nomenclature and there is no difference in the treatment and status of the officials.

5