Chapter 18: Ancient Ministry – 2
113 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

October 18, 1614 Central Calendar, 13:40

San Redentore Museum of Magic Technology Research and History

The two young inventors, Meteos Roguerider and Walman Falkenhausen, now the official staff of the Ministry of Ancient Sorcerous Empire Countermeasures (MOASEC), are taken by their teacher Robin to this museum as their next destination after exploring the administrative building complex. As a museum managed directly by the Ancient Ministry, it is the largest of all museums in Runepolis, filled to the brim with various exhibits that lined every corner of the building. Although it is located far away from the city center, visitors, mainly technology and military enthusiasts, still flocked to the place.

Immediately after passing the entrance, the three of them came into a section that displayed artifacts from ten thousand years ago. Meteos and Walman looked at them with interest as they listened to Robin, who is giving them an explanation in an excited tone as if she was a professional tour guide herself.

To put it simply, the post-Ravernal ancient Milishial civilization in what will become Runepolis went straight to Iron Age while at the same time, other civilizations in other lands are still in the Stone Age. Led by a tribal chief who will be posthumously referred to as the First Milishial Emperor, most of the artifacts from this period are mainly in the form of weapons made of iron. Their post-Ravernal prehistoric period lasted only a few decades since writing was introduced by the son of their original leader, who will be known in the future as the Second Milishial Emperor, shortly after his father died.

“This is the Object 1, or what we call the Light-Wing Saber. As the name implies, it is the very first Ancient Sorcerous Empire technology that the MOASEC cataloged and released to the public. The swords that you see around it are the attempts to copy it, but because the Light-Wing Saber, which is made of an advanced magic alloy capable of conducting mana, is too complicated for them, the best that the ancient Milishians can make is these swords made of iron,” Robin said as she pointed to an oddly fine-looking sword among the crude swords that lined one of the racks.

The exhibit also displayed the evolution of the metallurgy at the time, as the swords displayed are arranged in a way that showed their gradual improvement until they managed to look and function exactly like the Light-Wing Saber.

“Oooh…” Meteos and Walman hummed in appreciation.

Having finished looking around, the three of them proceeded to another section. In addition to history, the museum also exhibited all kinds of magical technologies, as well as materials describing them, such as the various prototypes of the manacom; cameras; scale models of ships used by the Empire from simple sailboats to ships equipped with the first magic engines, to the sleek and futuristic-looking magic ships they know today; automobiles; firearms and artillery; and the evolution of aviation technology within the Empire, which culminated with the Heavenly Vessel, whose preserved model of it was hanging from the ceiling of the museum. Since the advancement of technology in Milishial depends on what Ravernal artifact that they found at the time, their technology became very distorted, with one field can become so advanced it is borderline futuristic while the other remained backward until related ancient relics were found.

Even though they are greatly varied, all of them shared the same characteristics in that their development was a series of hardships, setbacks, trials and errors, and compromises, where even the lives of those involved can be at stake. Despite all of that, their beliefs and dreams, fueled by the knowledge and fear of the enemy of all races’ return in the future, marched on. However, it’s still not enough, because in the end, because of an unprecedented event in the future that no one can foresee, their labor, dreams, and aspirations are mocked, ridiculed, and trampled to the ground before they can even fulfill their purpose. It’s sad and infuriating, to be honest, from the perspective of a Milishial citizen. No one wanted their ancestors to be insulted like that.

An even more incentive to change our future… The history already begins to diverge from the one in my previous life, but I still need to push on…!’ Meteos murmured in his mind with a renewed determination, glaring at a Heavenly Vessel suspended on the ceiling.

Coincidentally, they joined the Ancient Ministry at the same time as the proposal to develop a new type for the Heavenly Vessel was approved. As Meteos and Walman are the minds behind the magic turbojet, the very reason that the proposal was approved in the first place, the MOASEC’s upper echelons had considered this and planned to assign them to the Heavenly Vessel Development Division so that they can put their skills to use immediately after recruitment.

“Can’t wait to get your hands on new toys to tinker with, huh?”

Robin’s voice suddenly whispered next to his ear. With a slight jolt, he backed away some distance from the source of her voice and indeed, there was his teacher standing there, leaning forward to match his height. He must’ve spaced out for some time, Meteos thought.

“You’ve been staring at that Heavenly Vessel and ignoring me calling you several times,” Robin whined, giving a brief glance at the plane before turning to Meteos with a pout.

He brushed off his teacher’s words with a light snort, “My bad. But we have explored the entire museum now, where to go next?”

“Mm, yes. We still have plenty of time. Walman, come!” Robin beckoned her other student who was staring at the display some distance away and promptly left the museum together, heading to their last location for today’s sightseeing.


The three were now heading for the MOASEC’s primary research and development facility, located several kilometers behind the administrative and museum buildings. Since it was located so far away from their current location, they used a car to get there.

It was a huge complex consisting of four clusters of large multi-story buildings separated from each other with large roads from the middle of the buildings that converged in an even larger road heading to the hills in the distance. Surrounding them was the orange autumn forest that also filled the majority of the San Redentore District.

These buildings are the main research facility for the MOASEC, where the recovered Ancient Sorcerous Empire artifacts will be brought here first before they are mass-produced by the production lines of partnering companies and institutions after the analysis is complete. These kinds of buildings are usually constructed near an ancient ruin for easier transportation, but unlike the others, which are built underground, the research facility in the MOASEC headquarters stands proudly with its glittering white paint in this district, a jarring sight among the landscape that is almost devoid of man-made buildings.

As the car approached the complex, Robin continued her explanation. The complex is divided into four clusters that handle different fields: the Aerial System Development Facility, the Ground System Development Facility, the Naval System Development Facility, and the Magic Technology System Development Facility. Among them, the Naval Facility is the most active while the Ground Facility is the most lethargic in its research activities.

Actually, there is one more research facility in this district. However, it belonged to the Ancient Arms Analysis Tactical Operations Department, hidden among the hills in the distance. Built by tunneling a hill on top of an ancient Ravernal Empire ruin, it is named Area 01 among the Ancient Ministry’s top brass. Meteos can know this thanks to the memories of his previous life.

Robin then said in a joking tone that ever since the conductive magnetic radar and the grimoire came, the Magic Technology Facility personnel went into overdrive; working day and night drinking the knowledge gained from analyzing the unexpected inventions and then applying it in their research, accelerating it at an unprecedented rate. Meanwhile, the torpedo and naval mine shocked the engineers at the Naval Facility, who can’t believe that they have been one-upped by a pair of outsiders and teenagers no less. What are they feeling now is anyone’s guess, but at present, they are ordered by the top brass to study and improve said weapons, regardless of their pride.

“…We will be okay, right?” Walman asked nervously, now knowing that there are some in their workplace that don’t take kindly to competition.

“Don’t worry. Since you two are my apprentices, that means you are under my protection as part of my responsibilities. If there is anyone who has some funny ideas, I’ll kick their ass faster than they can say ‘mommy’!” Robin declared.

“Yeah…”

While Walman was still nervous, he was glad at his teacher’s attempt to cheer him up. Seeing this, Meteos silently patted his back to calm him down. A small gesture from his friend like this is something that young Walman greatly appreciate, having been done since they were little.

 ‘When you were little, you were so timid… I wonder, where did it go…?’ Meteos thought, reflecting on his past life where his best friend had turned into an extremely arrogant and hotheaded man before his death.

Anyway, they arrived at the entrance of the Aerial System Development Facility, which happens to be the closest group out of the four. They saw that the entrance is blocked by a transparent blue magic barrier that prevented them from going inside.

“Alright, now I want you to take out your ID cards, I will teach you how to use them,” Robin urged, instructing them to prepare their employee ID cards that have been provided by the Ancient Ministry before they came here. Seeing them with their ID cards in their hands, Robin continued, “Your cards, other than being used to show your identity, can also be used to access restricted areas like this. Take a look at your cards, there are two black lines on them, right?”

“Mm-hmm.”

“That means that your card can provide you with a Clearance Level 2, enough to enter this facility. The card is colored orange to signify that you belong here as engineers.”

Robin explained to Meteos and Walman about their ID cards.

The MOASEC’s security system makes use of its employee’s ID cards, which are divided into several clearance levels in order to protect classified information. The Clearance Level 1 cards have a single thick line, Clearance Level 2 has two thinner lines, and so on until Clearance Level 5. In addition, the ID cards are also categorized by color, each for their roles in the ministry: green for administrative staff, orange for engineers, and blue for security. In addition, there is also a white card given to visitors, aptly named the “Visitor’s Pass”. As of 1614, only Albion Palace and the MOASEC have this security system, installed on a trial basis.

Again, thanks to his previous life’s memories, Meteos is able to know what Robin omitted from her explanation. The members of the Ancient Arms Analysis Tactical Operations Department possess red cards with a zigzagged pattern inscribed on them instead of lines, while the Minister/Director of the MOASEC’s ID card has a black and gold color with a unique pattern on it. These ID cards are able to access the top-secret areas throughout the Empire.

“Now, to pass through this entrance, you need to put your cards to this device over here,” Robin said, gesturing to a square panel next to the entrance. “First, I’ll show you what will happen if you use a card with a clearance level below the required to open this door.”

As Meteos and Walman watched closely, Robin pulled out another card, a Visitor’s Pass, and held it close to the panel. A magic circle emerged from it, emitting particles that touched the card. Mere seconds later, the particles quickly retreated back into the panel, turning the entire system and magic barrier into a bright red color.

“Woooh…”

“See? This means that this Visitor’s Pass is not allowed to enter this area. If you insisted on passing the door in this state, this red barrier will electrocute you. Not enough to kill, but enough to knock you out.”

“………”

“I’m not joking.”

Walman gulped, then asked with a trembling voice, “Miss Robin, what if someone tried to enter without scanning?”

“Nothing happens. You just simply can’t pass. You see, this magic barrier, although it looks thin, it is powered by a huge magic engine that provided a power supply to this entire building complex, making it capable of bulletproof performance against sustained fire from 20-millimeter magic light gun bullets. You trying to barge in will feel like being slammed on a wall.”

“I see.”

“Any other questions?”

This time, Meteos raised his hand, “What happens if we tried to enter using someone else’s card?”

Robin smiled at that, “Good question. Remember, when you were given your ID cards, you were required to channel some of your mana, right? Your magic signatures are being recorded in your cards, and whenever you try to access the gate like this, the system will draw a minuscule amount of mana from your body, small enough to not be felt by you, and if it doesn’t match with the ID cards, the barrier will also turn red. If you lose your cards, immediately contact me or another Ancient Ministry staff.”

“…Will the same thing happen if someone without mana tried to use the ID cards to enter?”

Although it sounded like a strange question, since magic power exists within living beings in this world, common people often forget that there is a certain group with magic power so low it can be said they have no magic power at all. Robin’s eyes widened a bit at the implication of his question.

“About that, we never tried that before. Either the gate will turn red, or nothing will happen. Now that you’ve said it, I’ll keep that in mind to tell the top brass to conduct a test later.”

Meteos just nodded.

“…Anyway, let’s enter the gate. One more thing, the system can scan more than one card at the same time. Stand beside me and held out your cards.”

At Robin’s instructions, Meteos and Walman took either side of Robin and held their cards at the same time near the panel. Like before, magic particles emerged and touched their cards. However, this time the particles turned green and the magic barrier dissipated. After they passed the entrance and walked several steps into the building, the entrance’s magic barrier activated again.

“So the system is activated with proximity,” Meteos stated with a raised eyebrow.

“Correct. Good observation, kid,” Robin answered, to which the silver-haired boy chuckled.

As they went deeper into the building, Meteos and Walman’s presence here has raised some eyebrows from the staff working there. After one of them dared to ask about their identity, the bewilderment turned into awe as they finally realized who these kids were.


The area where the research on the Heavenly Vessel was conducted was a massive hangar divided into sections by a series of bulkheads and connected to the main building by a bridge that brings the teacher and her students to a walkway located a floor above the ground. On each section below them, multiple Heavenly Vessels in both intact and disassembled states were parked, while personnel and equipment passed by between them.

For Walman and Robin, the sight of the Alpha-1 air superiority fighter and Beta-1 fighter-bomber no longer excited them that much, since they found Meteos’ surprisingly realistic concept art of future Heavenly Vessels that he drew in his spare time to be much more sophisticated-looking than the ones the Empire has at present. His artistic interpretations were so good that it made them wonder where did he get those ideas.

However, one thing quickly caught Walman’s attention.

“Hey, Meteos, look at that,” he said, pointing to an object when they arrived at a certain section in the hangar.

“Ooh… that’s one of the ruined engines based on an ancient technology, want to take a closer look?” Robin offered.

“Yes, of course,” Meteos said.

They descended the stairs and approached the engine, which was sitting there gathering dust in the empty section. As the three of them inspected the engine, they can make what type of engine it was.

It is a copied Ravernal Empire-made magic turbofan engine made by the MOASEC researchers, not an original one, meant to be installed on an Alpha series Heavenly Vessel. Because it cannot be mass-produced by the Empire, the engine was kept here where only Clearance Level 2 personnel are able to enter. If the research activity is stopped like this, this would mean that the MOASEC has yet to unearth a similar engine with good quality from the ruins, so the resources devoted to its research were being redirected to somewhere else that showed steady progress. As Meteos inspected it closely, he can make out the extent of the engine’s damage.

It was melted mainly in the place where the high-pressure compressor, the combustion chamber, and the turbine were supposed to be. Based on mental simulation in his mind, Meteos concluded that the engine must have been broken when the heat produced by the rapid chanting of explosive magic in the combustion chamber became too hot for the engine, which was made with materials using inferior magical strengthening compared to the Ravernal engine, and exploded.

When he turned his attention to the intact parts, he encountered some flaws. The compressor blades, for example. Although not very noticeable, their shapes are not uniform. This engine was made around a decade ago, so it must be the product of technical limitations at the time, but at present, Milishial’s technology had progressed rapidly to be able to produce standardized parts. So, if a heat-resistant material is available, they should be able to produce a functioning gas turbine engine, which is what the entire ordeal involving MOASEC is aiming for.

However, his eyes twitched at the next part: the fan blades. The fan, which uses the energy produced by the turbine to force the incoming air rearwards, is actually a fan for a high bypass engine that is supposed to be used by the Guernica (transport-type Heavenly Vessel) cut to fit this low bypass engine. Of course, it would result in a messed-up bypass ratio.

This is not the end of it, though, as Meteos went to the rear of the engine, the nozzle. It is a very strange nozzle where there is an exhaust cone and a variable-exhaust nozzle at the same time. Since both of them generally fulfill the same purpose, it would be fine if just one of them was installed, but for some reason, the engineers of that time chose to install both. As a result, the tail section would have been unnecessarily heavy.

“Eeehhh…”

Meteos sighed. He then pulled out a notebook and a pencil, and began taking notes.

Haah, what the hell… well, it’s no use ranting about it now. If I want to get rid of this thing, we need to make a better one, but before that…’ he thought, slightly uncomfortable as he recalled the time when Robin scolded him for his episode when visiting the RVM last time.

“Hey, Meteos,” Walman called from across him.

“Hm?”

“Come to think of it… after examining this thing, it’s kind of similar to your magic turbojet, you know?”

“I suppose so,” Meteos answered, not looking up from his notebook.

Minus the large fan in front of the engine, Walman thought from the drawings that he’d seen so far that this engine and Meteos’ so-called ‘magic turbojet’ are similar. However, this is a Clearance Level 2 object that they just saw for the first time today, so it’s unlikely that Meteos somehow copied its design, unlike the conductive magnetic radar that is available for public disclosure to some degree, and the magic torpedo which is a completely original weapon.

“That’s weird, how could something you made and an ancient technology never seen before could be so similar?”

Meteos just snorted at his words, “Who knows? What do you think, Miss Robin?”

The said woman flinched at his words. An inventor is proud of his creation, and Meteos Roguerider is no exception. He must have felt upset when what he thought was his brilliant innovation was already been invented long before him, and no one told him about it until he found out about it himself. Robin bit her lower lip and tried to explain in the softest, most motherly tone she can.

“Uhh… Meteos, even if I wanted to tell you about this, the security protocol will not allow me to do it, please understand…”

Meteos stopped what he was doing and turned to her, with both hands on his hips and a cocked eyebrow.

“What are you talking about?”

“Eh? I thought you—”

“I’m not whatever you thought me to be. Besides, you just did your job properly, there’s no reason for me to be upset or anything,” he dismissed her concern with an air of nonchalance, waving his hand dismissively to show that he is not in the least bit bothered with her withholding information.

Robin was surprised and relieved at her apprentice’s display of maturity. Sighing in relief, she unconsciously reached Meteos on top of his head and gently caressed it, feeling his soft silver hairs through her fingers.

“I’m thankful for your understanding.”

“Hmph… cut it out…” Meteos smirked and turned his face away, but made no attempt to move away from her hand, “Personally, though, I think the similarities are more of a ‘great minds think alike’ moment.”

Walman commented from the side, “You know, considering who originally made this, calling them ‘great’ is kind of wrong…”

An awkward silence ensued. Robin retreated her hand and adjusted her glasses in slight discomfort.

“………Yeah. But you got to admit they made very advanced stuff.”

“………”

“…Next section?”

“Next section it is.”

The three of them finished examining the ruined engine and headed out to the next section.


20:53

The sun had long since set when the group came out of the building, having finished exploring the Aerial System Development Facility. As the overcast clouds blocked the soft bluish light from the two moons, with only the magic lamps lighting the way, they proceeded to the building’s parking lot. The beautiful autumn forest scenery was replaced by the dark of the night, where the ambient sound of nocturnal animals echoed one after another in the distance.

“Oh? It’s already dark outside, there’s three more to visit… but I guess we have to call it a day for now,” Robin stated the obvious, trying to strike a conversation as they waited for their car that will bring them home.

“Mm-hmm. Time passes so quickly when you’re having fun,” Meteos nodded sagely.

“You call all that thing having fun…?” his friend Walman shook his head with a slight feeling of disbelief.

“Well, yes. Anyway, I’m glad that our first day in the Ancient Ministry turned out to be very productive. My new notebook is already half full.”

Even though they were tired, none of them are complaining. Especially Meteos, who patted his jacket where he stored his notebook with a satisfied expression on his face.

“Good, good. After we’re going home, you better go to sleep immediately. Tomorrow we’ll start packing and move to our new apartment.”

Robin explained the schedule for tomorrow. Since Meteos and Walman have graduated from the RMA, Robin, who was assigned by the Ancient Ministry to observe them, was recalled by the ministry’s upper echelons, where another technician will fill her place in the RMA. The three of them have decided that on October 19, which is Sunday, they will start packing their belongings in their current apartment in preparation for moving to their new residence in the San Redentore District.

“Yes, yes, I get it,” Meteos whined as he sat on the curb, stretching his arms and legs. The resulting relief sensation on his tense muscles made him sigh in pleasure.

Since Hirkane was still busy, it was a different driver that answered Robin’s call. The three of them left the forest of San Redentore back to the brightly lit downtown Runepolis. As the car passed through the empty road, with only its headlights lighting the way, it never ceases to amaze them how can something so beautiful becomes so gloomy the moment the light left them.

Upon arriving at their apartment and after taking a bath, Walman and Robin immediately hit the bed and slept like a log while Meteos took his time to read through several pages of his Un Coup de Foudre novel before Nadia called again shortly after that.

“Heh…” he chuckled lightly and put his grimoire on his desk before heading to sleep.


October 19, 1614 Central Calendar, 00:23

Imperial Palace, Albion District

Walking through the opulent hallway of the Emperor’s residence is Arsene Lippin, the esteemed Director of the Ministry of Ancient Sorcerous Empire Countermeasures. However, he looked like a dead man walking, with his face pale and hollow eyes, as he walked unsteadily in an attempt to escape the palace, desperately looking for fresh air.

His mind was still reeling from the audience with Emperor Milishial VIII and a meeting with other heads of executive departments shortly after that. With every single step he took, the previous events of the day replayed again and again in his chaotic mind.

After he knelt reverently in the throne room and followed the court customs by introducing himself to the Emperor, who was sitting on his majestic throne, he commanded Lippin to raise his head. He was surprised when the old emperor started by expressing his gratitude for Lippin and his ministry’s work, which put Lippin’s heart at ease. What happened next made his heart beating even faster.

The Emperor decided to donate a large amount of money to support the MOASEC’s latest project.

No, actually it was nothing unusual. His Majesty is always keen to advance the Empire’s technology and often used his massive wealth to support engineers and innovators. However, the amount of donations this time was unprecedentedly large, easily dwarfing the previous ones. Nearly choked of his own spit, Lippin bowed his head deeply and stammered.

“I… h-humbly accept your kindness!”

The Emperor’s next words struck him like thunder.

“I would like to know how long it will take you to finish your new project.”

“Ungh………!”

“Well?”

Lippin panicked. The discussion about it hasn’t even started yet, so he didn’t know how long it will take to make a new engine and most likely, a new Heavenly Vessel suited for the new engine. There are several speculations, but none of them are definitive. However, the young director cannot simply say ‘I don’t know’ in front of the Emperor.

Therefore, he decided to make up his own prediction on the spot. Looking at the feats accomplished ever since he took office, all of them are completed in a rather short time span. Young Roguerider and Young Falkenhausen completed a conductive magnetic radar within one month with simple materials and basic factory tools, the engineers of RMA and attached MOASEC technicians managed to improve their work to a state-of-the-art radar within five months. As for the magic turbojet, those young boys created a very small version of it within one month, using the more advanced technology and better resources in the Runepolis Magic Academy. Considering the MOASEC’s massive resources, both material and human resources, his mind came to a conclusion that seemed reasonable to him. Thus, he explained his reasoning.

“…therefore, Your Majesty, according to the calculations, we will be able to finish the new project within two years…”

“Hmm… interesting, that would mean it will be completed around the time of the next World Conference. Very well, work closely with the other ministries to accomplish your project. That is all, the audience is concluded. Thank you for coming.”

As the Emperor left the throne room, Lippin bowed deeply, nearly failing in maintaining a façade of solemn submission, and almost stumbled as he left the throne room. It just dawned upon him that he had one-sidedly promised the Emperor that a new Heavenly Vessel will be completed within two years, and now his distraught mind was thinking on how he can finish the project within the deadline he had just imposed upon himself and his subordinates.

Later, during the meeting among heads of executive departments in a different room, he was absolutely destroyed by the others.

“TWO YEARS!? THAT’S IMPOSSIBLE!! You can’t possibly develop something as complicated as a Heavenly Vessel in two years! Have you forgotten how long it took to produce one!?”

The face of Military Minister Schmill Pao appeared in his mind; his face shocked beyond belief.

A step.

“You utter fool! What have you done!? You just doomed us with your stupid mouth!” Foreign Minister Maddock’s yelling echoed.

Another step.

Director Edith, who was putting her trust in him, did not say anything, but she looked heartbroken. It was only natural for those three to become upset with Lippin’s massive screw-up. After all, they are the ones whose ministry played major roles in supporting the Ancient Ministry this time.

Another. He almost stumbled on his own steps.

“Tsk, tsk, tsk, talk about reckless.”

“You brought this upon yourself.”

“Imbecile.”

“Looks like your luck has run out, brat. Hah!”

And finally, Minister Herodia mocked him with her sickening laugh, reminding him of his predecessor’s failure.

“Boy, I really didn’t envy you now. Now I wonder if you’ll end up like Bandero…”

Another step.

“I wish I can do something. Good luck.”

That was the only thing that Minister Legendorga said to him.

Stupid! Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid!! Me and my big mouth!! It would’ve been better if I had just said ‘I don’t know!!’’ he cursed himself, roughly ruffling his hair.

Before he knew it, he found himself standing in front of his car, with the driver, Hirkane, calling to him several times. It seems that he had spaced out in his turmoil and didn’t realize that he had walked out of the palace.

“Sir?”

“Take me home.”

Lippin’s voice lost all of its energy, even more so than usual. However, Hirkane was hesitant to ask him, so he just complied with his order and stepped on the car’s pedal, driving his boss to his residence.


00:45

Lambert District

Upon arriving in front of his house, Lippin opened the car door and got out of the car by himself before carelessly handing his driver a couple of money.

“D-director!?”

“Keep the change,” Lippin murmured.

As Hirkane watched his boss stagger away from the car, he scratched his head with five 100 zollark bills in his right hand.

“Again…!?”


Lippin fumbled with the keys as he stood in front of the door to his house. He can see that the lights from the windows of his wife’s and children’s bedrooms have been turned off.

Click

He inserted the key and turned it as slowly as possible, and yet it still made such a noise. As his hand grabbed the door handle, Lippin took a deep breath and exhaled. Beyond this door is his home, his sanctuary, a place where he can finally rest and forget what happened on this day, even if only for a moment.

“I’m home…” he murmured as he opened the door.

He did not expect anyone to greet him. After all, his family was already asleep at this hour. Lippin walked from the dark corridor of the entrance to the still-lit dining room. As he sat on a chair at the dining table, he poured drinking water for himself, savoring the refreshing sensation of the slightly chilly water.

“Haah…” he sighed loudly before slumping his shoulders, “What should I tell Cassandra…?”

However, a sound coming from the bathroom connected to the dining room caught his attention. As he watched the doorway with trepidation, two figures emerged from it.

“!!!”

Lippin was taken aback.

“Papa, it’s you!!”

At the sight of him, the smaller of the two figures exclaimed with a voice of a young girl and ran toward Lippin, nearly crashing into him if not him who quickly grabbed the child and lifted her so that her eyes met his. It was Lippin’s youngest child, the five-year-old Noelle, who snuggled to his chest as he stared in astonishment.

“Noelle…? Why are you still up at this hour…?” he wondered.

“She needs to go to the bathroom,” the much taller figure behind her answered with a mature feminine voice.

She stepped into the dining room, revealing herself to be a fair-skinned woman with long wavy black hair and wearing loose pajamas. A smile graced Lippin’s face at the sight of her. Even though her hair and face is a bit disheveled from just waking up from sleep, it did not reduce her allure in Lippin’s eyes. It was his beautiful wife, Cassandra.

“Cassandra, I’m home,” Lippin greeted.

“Welcome home, dear.”

The husband and wife embraced each other as their daughter giggled at the scene.

“Alright, sweetie, let’s go back to bed,” Cassandra reminded her daughter.

“But I want to be with papa…” Noelle whined, “I miss papa so much…”

Lippin faltered. It is true that since he took office as the Ancient Ministry Director, he became extremely busy with his work, with almost no free time to spend with his family. This must have saddened his children so much. He can even see the seeds of resentment begin to form in his son Ishmael’s eyes. He glanced at his wife, who can only return his unspoken dilemma uneasily. He then remembered something.

“Noelle, tomorrow—no, today is Sunday, if you go to sleep, papa will play with you and your brother, okay?”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“Promise?” Noelle said with hopeful eyes, making Lippin’s heart melt from such adorableness.

“……Yes, I promise.”

“Yaay! I love papa so much!”


After ushering Noelle to her room and making sure she was asleep, Lippin and Cassandra returned to the dining room and sat at the dining table. His black suit and necktie were placed haphazardly on the chair’s backrest, leaving Lippin with his long-sleeved white shirt. Sensing her husband looked even more tired than usual, Cassandra spoke up with a concerned look on her face.

“Is there something that is bothering you, dear?”

“It’s a long story…” Lippin said, sipping a cup of water. To be honest, he wanted to grab some booze and get drunk, but his wife sternly forbade him from doing it.

“Then talk to me.”

“……Cassandra, I’ve screwed up.”

Cassandra frowned, “What do you mean?”

“Actually……”

And so, Lippin told her about the events that had transpired this day. He poured out all his feelings while Cassandra just listened in silence from her seat beside him.

“…and that’s about it. I am one hundred percent sure that I will lose my job because of this, and…”

Before he finished speaking, she just grabbed his hand, her soft and dainty digits intertwined with Lippin’s own.

“Arsene… if it’s just about money, you never have to worry. My own job is more than enough to support us,” Cassandra said with a small smile.

“But that’s…!”

The real problem is that Lippin’s position held too many secrets. Once he was removed from it, he and his family will be forever living under strict surveillance from the Empire. That is what troubled him more than anything. He did not want what happened to his predecessors to befall his wife and children too. How it pained him to not be able to be honest with his wife in front of him.

Ever since Lippin confessed his feelings to her long before they got married, Cassandra is always on his side through thick and thin of life. How he is a very lucky man to have such a woman as a life partner, and now that he had let her down, Lippin felt himself to be a complete loser.

“I’m sorry… I’m so sorry…!”

He heard his own voice breaking, as his eyes were no longer unable to hold back the tears that were threatening to flow. Watching him, his wife gently grabbed his shoulders and brought him closer. Then, Lippin sobbed silently into Cassandra’s shoulder, uttering apologies and self-deprecating words incessantly while his wife softly rubbed his back, consoling him through the quietness of the room.

After that, they moved to their bedroom, where things started to get heated, and the couple spend the rest of the night in a bout of passion and sorrow.


Currently Publicly Available Information

ALPHA-1 AND BETA-1

The mainstay of the Holy Milishial Imperial Air Force and Holy Milishial Imperial Navy's naval aviation, developed and produced mainly by the Runes Valletta Magic Academy's Aviation Department with several other production lines as assigned by the...

The mainstay of the Holy Milishial Imperial Air Force and Holy Milishial Imperial Navy’s naval aviation, developed and produced mainly by the Runes Valletta Magic Academy’s Aviation Department with several other production lines as assigned by the Imperial government.

Both Alpha-1 and Beta-1 are monoplane jets with tapered wings, enclosed cockpit with bubble canopy, tricycle retractable landing gear, and powered by a pair of Chant Powered Light Magic-Compressed Air Discharge Engine.

Armed with four 12,7-millimeter magic light guns, the Alpha-1 air superiority-type Heavenly Vessel is the second most powerful airpower in the known world after the Emorian Wind Dragons, easily outmatching the wyverns and Muish Challenger flying machines. Despite having poor acceleration and turning performance, it excels in speed and the Holy Milishial Imperial Air Force’s pilots are trained in hit-and-run tactics where they will use their speed advantage to defeat the enemy.

The Beta-1 multirole-type Heavenly Vessel has a stronger fuselage than the Alpha-1, but is slower and even less maneuverable. It is armed with four 7,7-millimeter magic light guns and is capable of carrying up to 520 kilograms of magic bombs. The introduction of the magic torpedo allowed Beta-1 to possess deadly anti-ship capability by arming it with the Gareth Mk. I Aerial Magic Torpedo.

ALPHA-1

General Characteristics

General Characteristics

  • Crew: One
  • Length: 11,84 m
  • Wingspan: 13,8 m
  • Height: 3,76 m
  • Wing area: 35,9 square meters
  • Empty weight: 700 kg
  • takeoff weight: 6.200 kg
  • Engine: 2 × Chant Powered Light Magic-Compressed Air Discharge Engines

Performance

  • Maximum speed: 450 km/h
  • Range: 550 km
  • Ferry range: 300 km
  • Maximum ceiling: 000 m

Armament

  • 4 × 12,7 mm magic light guns

BETA-1

General Characteristics

General Characteristics

  • Crew: One
  • Length: 12 m
  • Wingspan: 14 m
  • Height: 3,8 m
  • Wing area: 38 square meters
  • Empty weight: 000 kg
  • takeoff weight: 7.200 kg
  • Engine: 2 × Chant Powered Light Magic-Compressed Air Discharge Engines

Performance

  • Maximum speed: 380 km/h
  • Range: 550 km
  • Ferry range: 200 km
  • Maximum ceiling: 000 m

Armament

  • 4 × 7,7 mm magic light guns
  • 1 × 520 kg bomb, or
  • 2 × 250 kg bombs, or
  • 1 × 500 kg Gareth Mk. I Aerial Magic Torpedo
4