Chapter 20: Fear Nothing
101 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To the west of the Central World, across the vast body of water known as the Minerva Ocean, there is the land of Mu, one of the two great powers that occupied the region known as the Second Civilization Area. Second only to the Holy Milishial Empire in terms of national might, its civilization exuded wonders that set it apart from the rest of the world. For example, the major cities that lined its coasts are thriving metropolises with large ports, multi-story buildings, and tall towers that marked their landscape, not unlike its counterpart across the ocean.

However, unlike the fantastic and futuristic ambiance of Milishian cities, Mu’s largest settlements have a more austere, rather down-to-earth feeling to them. Square-shaped brick buildings lined the paved avenues with a distinct architecture not seen in other parts of the world; factories with cylindrical chimneys churning black smoke into the sky; steel ships that filled their ports; carriages, both horse-driven and the new self-propelled horseless types, milled on their streets; and artificial lighting that illuminated the streets at night. It is a scene that will be somewhat familiar for someone from our world, Earth, reminding them of a picture from their history books. Yes, Mu is a country similar to the major nations of Earth in the early twentieth century.

The Kingdom of Mu is, in many ways, strange, but not necessarily in a bad way.

For one, they are said to be descended from a race of humans with no magic power. Even after generations of mixed marriages with the magic-wielding people from neighboring lands, a Muish’s magical potential remains at zero with a mana capacity so minuscule that they can barely be detected by the Holy Empire’s prided mana detector. But it didn’t stop them from prospering in this magic-dominated world as they focused their efforts on the development of machines involving as little magic as possible, using scientific principles they learned to produce what is known as mechanical technology.

Furthermore, in this world, where relations between nations are marked by the strong preying on the weak, Mu championed the values of pacifism, neutrality, and fair and equal relationships, an alien concept in this world where hegemony and imperialism run rampant. As a result, respect comes naturally from other nations that have relationships with them, pure and genuine, and Mu is known as the kindest out of the five great powers of the known world.

Despite their peculiarities, Mu is still a nation of an advanced civilization with a unique and rich culture, an exciting destination for visitors eager to collect tales of their travels.

…………

November 1, 1614 Central Calendar, 22:45

Capital Otaheit

The dim lights from buildings and street lamps illuminated the nightscape of the capital city of the Kingdom of Mu. The streets are still wet and waterlogged in places after it rained a while ago, further discouraging the Otaheit residents from venturing out into the already cold air of late autumn. And as the clock approached midnight, the streets of the city that was thriving with pedestrians and vehicles in the daytime became increasingly empty. Otaheit is asleep, but not quite so.

In one corner of the city, there is a facility where the headquarters for Mu’s Directorate of Intelligence and Information Analysis, known in their native tongue as “Direction du renseignement et de l’analyse de l’information”, or DRAI, is located; a center for the country’s information gathering and analysis.

Despite their role as the handler and analyzer of information, an aspect that is vital to the development of their own technology, they are derided by the ordinary military personnel as a meaningless organization and a nuisance. Maybe it’s because of the nature of this world, where there are huge gaps between nations labeled as non-civilized, the civilized, and superpowers, where their power is only below the strongest superpower of the world.  Or maybe it’s because of the slow, almost stagnating pace of development of nations so that the ordinary military personnel do not feel the need to seriously gather information about their hypothetical enemies.

However, things have changed a few months ago, when agents returning from across the Minerva Ocean brought reports of interesting development from the Holy Milishial Empire. Thanks to these agents, who provided the information about the Holy Empire’s newest weapon, the magic torpedo, Mu is able to create their own version of it. At last, DRAI’s members earned the recognition they deserved for their efforts. However, at the same time, more work awaits them as more detailed information continued flowed in.

A man wearing a light brown uniform can be seen hurrying along the corridor of the DRAI’s building before stopping in front of one of the doors. With a light knock, he entered the room after the occupant inside gave him permission to enter. It was a tidy office room adorned by brown furniture and green decor, lit by a gas lamp chandelier hanging from the ceiling. Sitting at the desk at the back of the office is a man named Maurice Lamarre, the Director of Intelligence, looking pensive as he gestured the man closer. As he presented a report he was carrying to the director, he opened his mouth to speak.

“We have received a further report from the Central World Intelligence Department regarding Milishial’s new weapon that was first seen four months ago.”

The content of the man’s report was about the additional information about the magic torpedo, the Holy Milishial Empire’s new naval weapon that was first seen around June this year. When the agents dispatched to the Central World delivered the first reports about this weapon, a self-propelled projectile capable of striking a ship from underwater, the Muish military decided to develop their own version of this weapon and managed to produce a mechanical torpedo known as the Whitehead.

Weighing around 150 kilograms with 3,5 meters in length and a diameter of 35,5 centimeters, the Whitehead torpedo carries an 18-kilogram warhead. It was divided into four parts: the head, the air tank containing compressed air, the engine, and moved by a propeller in the tail. In order to use it, they created a tube to launch the torpedo using gunpowder discharge, and tests have been made to launch it from both above and below the waterline. The Royal Flying Corps even dared to enlist a pilot to conduct tests for the aerial launch of this weapon after the intelligence reports about HME’s Naval Air Force managed to successfully one-shot a cruiser with an air-launched torpedo.

However, despite their efforts, the Whitehead torpedo is hard to improve and remained a slow and cumbersome weapon. It also produced white wakes when it travels underwater. Meanwhile, the intelligence agents continued to report that Milishial’s magic torpedo is completely undetectable in the water, highly destructive, and fast, based on what they can find from their investigation.

“This is…” Maurice muttered as he picked up a colored photograph, undoubtedly taken by a Milishian-made camera, then ‘sent’ outside the Central World before ended up in the DRAI’s office.

“This is a magic photograph of the Zeroth Magic Fleet’s small ships anchored in the Cartalpas Naval Base. As you can see, all of them are mounting a pair of tubes believed to be the equipment for launching their magic torpedoes. In addition, based on the information we acquired from overhearing the Imperial Navy sailors on shore leave at Cartalpas, we finally have a name for this weapon. They called it the ‘Lancelot Surface Magic Torpedo.’”

“I see… Lancelot, huh…”

Maurice repeated the name that his subordinate had just said. He picked up other magic photographs and compared them with the one he is holding, all of them showing the Milishian warships moored at their base from various angles. One of them was taken from the hills overlooking the harbor depicting a new Steel-class magic light cruiser in drydock being outfitted with the same torpedo tubes seen on the small ships.

“Does this mean that Milishial has put this new weapon to practical use already? But not even one year has passed since we first heard about it…?” the Director said with a grimace.

“Yes, sir, we believe so. Not only from Cartalpas, but the reports also confirmed that in Port Verses, the headquarters of the Milishian First Magic Fleet, a warship carrying Lancelot launchers has been seen.”

Maurice put the pictures back on the desk and let out a groan. Although Mu’s government had invested in it, their torpedo was still in the testing phase, not ready for practical use yet. The engineers are still trying to develop a more efficient device compared to what they currently have, but it seems that the empire across the ocean is one step ahead of them as usual.

“What about specifications? Do you have any detailed specifications about the Lancelot?”

“We are still investigating, sir. But from our analysis, we have estimated that it is around eight to ten meters in length and around 600 millimeters in diameter. As for the performance, all we know at the moment is that the Lancelot’s capabilities are far higher than ours, sir.”

“That’s… around twice as large as our own Whitehead… I see… but I didn’t expect it to be that big,” Maurice murmured as he covered his mouth with his balled fist.

He shuddered when imagining a 600-millimeter artillery shell or a bomb that can travel underwater and struck the unarmored part of a warship, bringing it down in the blink of an eye.

Although it did not reveal much, at least some details regarding Milishial’s newest weapon finally came to light. There are many rumors circulating around the existence of the magic torpedo, which is known as the Lancelot, but all of them always pointed out that it is fast, stealthy, and powerful, although he is still having a hard time believing the one that said that it is capable of sinking a battleship in a single hit. This is why further information gathering is needed to clear things up.

“This is troubling, but we need to make it clear which ones are rumors and which ones are actual facts. Alright, for now, compile this report and I will submit it to the higher-ups. I want to know more about the Lancelot, so inform the agents to continue gathering information! Dismissed.”

“Yes, sir!”

With that, the officer saluted and left the room. The Director decided to read the report again, this time alone in his office, accompanied only by the steady rhythm of the standing clock ticking at the corner of the room. Each turning of the pages of the report only served to increase his feeling of disbelief and by the time he finished reading it, Maurice felt a slight migraine in his head.

By this time, out of the two types of magic torpedoes that the Holy Milishial Empire was developing, the Lancelot surface-mounted magic torpedo is already been put to practical use and is widely known to the Muish agents in Central World. For Mu, who considered the Holy Milishial Empire as their hypothetical enemy, this is a serious threat. Sooner or later, they will have to think of a countermeasure against it.


Next day

November 2, 1614 Central Calendar, Afternoon

Daylight has returned to the land of Mu, and after the first light appeared from beyond the horizon, the lamplighters wandering the street began turning off the gas lamps that once illuminated the darkness one by one. The once quiet city of Otaheit comes back to life with the noises of people going about their day.

The city of Otaheit, not only it is the capital city for the Kingdom of Mu and the seat of the Royal Government, it is also the oldest city in the country full of historical sites, a very peaceful city that had never experienced being sieged in its entire history. However, it also houses the center of Muish Royal Armed Forces’ general headquarters and is the site of the largest naval base in the entire Second Civilization Area. The base, known as the Otaheit Arsenal, is the place that built Mu’s first ironclads and at present, the place where the state-of-the-art warships of the Muish Royal Navy are built.

In one of the rooms of the Central Command building of the Navy General Headquarters, a meeting was held regarding the report submitted by the DRAI earlier in the morning. Sitting on the chairs were the naval officers, clad in black dress uniforms with shoulder patches that proudly showed their high rank in the military hierarchy. However, their faces were grim at the moment as they listened to the explanation from Maurice Lamarre, the Director of Intelligence. Their stares darted back and forth between the blackboard filled with photos of the Holy Milishial Imperial Navy’s magic warships and the handouts distributed beforehand with a feeling of resignation.

It was at this moment, that a wave of hopelessness descended upon them. They knew well that, despite Mu being the closest country that the Holy Milishial Empire could call a rival, the gap in their technology and national power is just too great to bridge. If they were to fight, they will be defeated without difficulty. This report just hammered that knowledge once again into their minds as the empire across the ocean had beaten them in yet another arms race.

However, among those gloomy faces, there is a pair of eyes that looked at the blackboard like an eagle watching its prey. The man with such eyes, an elderly naval executive with graying hair, listened intently to the explanation about the threat of Milishial’s Lancelot magic torpedo and what the Muish intelligence know about it. In his eyes, he saw an opportunity.

He remained silent as Director Maurice continued his report and after the explanation finished, the moderator moved the meeting to the next agenda to discuss how to counter the Lancelot and underwater attacks in general.

Several proposals were submitted. One officer suggested that they create nets made of iron that will be hung around the warship to catch a torpedo and make it explode away from the ship. Another suggested that they extend the warship’s armor belt to underneath the waterline. Meanwhile, another officer suggested that they create a dedicated compartment specifically made to absorb the detonation of torpedoes. Each and every suggestion was listened to and discussed by the other participants of the meeting.

The elderly officer, who was silent until now, finally shuffled in his seat and raised his hand.

“Chief d’Artagnan?”

“Yes. You all raised good points. However, the best way to protect a warship from underwater attacks is of course by not getting hit.”

The elderly officer, who is none other than the Commander-in-Chief of the Muish Royal Navy, Admiral Jean Pierre d’Artagnan, began his opinion by stating the obvious. Some of the executives who were present were put off by his nonchalant attitude and contorted their expressions in dismay.

“From Maurice’s explanation, the Empire’s Lancelot magic torpedo has a size around two times larger than our own. Therefore, it is safe to assume that it is at least twice more powerful, faster, and has a longer range compared to our own torpedo.”

As he continued to talk, d’Artagnan held up three fingers to emphasize the points. Unlike the other dejected officers, the head of Mu’s navy calmly analyzed the information at hand and presented his thoughts clearly.

“In my opinion based on the information from the Intelligence, the Empire’s decision of mounting them on small ships and cruisers is reasonable. The Empire’s small ships and cruisers are capable of speeds up to 30 knots. Normally, their small caliber guns made them manageable in a fleet battle. But now, in a hypothetical naval battle between Mu and the Empire, these small ships and cruisers can charge into our fleet, launch their Lancelots from their effective range, and use their speed advantage to escape the bombardment of our slower ships. First and foremost, keeping the range open as much as possible would be the best course of action.”

One of the participants, Admiral Edouard La Rochelle, the commander of the Central District Fleet, frowned as he listened to d’Artagnan’s explanation.

“But then only the main guns that will be usable in such a situation, and I doubt they are enough to discourage the attacks from ships carrying Lancelots.”

Muish Royal Navy’s battleships carried an armament consisting of a pair of twin large guns complemented by numerous smaller guns of varying calibers which are intended to destroy sailing warships, which is the mainstay maritime force of the world’s nations other than Milishial, without needing to waste expensive main gun shells on weaker enemies. Although these guns have a faster rate of fire, the existence of long-range magic torpedoes of Milishial will discourage battleships from closing into ranges where these guns can fully operate at their utmost potential, and in turn, the Lancelots will probably outrange these smaller-caliber guns, making them useless in preventing a torpedo attack from HME’s small ships.

“So what will you do then? Making as many battleships as possible?” one officer asked, his face incredulous.

“No, not quite. What I’m thinking is to make individual battleships carry as many heavy guns as it could,” d’Artagnan replied.

La Rochelle immediately understood where this discussion is heading. Meanwhile, d’Artagnan reached for inside his bag and pulled a stack of papers before ordering his aide standing beside him to distribute it to the officials.

“When the Intelligence gave their report to me in advance, I thought it was a good time to introduce this, so I quickly ordered the staff to make copies and bring them to this meeting.”

The document distributed by the old admiral is exactly what La Rochelle is predicting. The handout that d’Artagnan presented is a concept for a battleship. However, it is different than the battleship they know in that the ship has a main battery of a dozen large guns in eight turrets, the smaller secondaries are nowhere to be seen.

Ah… so this is what you’re aiming for, Admiral,’ La Rochelle thought.

Admiral d’Artagnan, who assumed the office of the Commander-in-Chief of Muish Royal Navy not too long ago, advocated for a new design of a battleship armed with uniform main guns and high speed. However, when he first proposed this, he is opposed by a group of Muish Royal Navy officers who deemed it an unnecessary act that will provoke an arms race with the Holy Milishial Empire that they cannot win and that their current inventory is already enough to maintain their neutrality. These officers were called Les Neutralistes (“The Neutralists”) although their attitude made them more fitting to be called Les Défaitistes (“The Defeatists”). Meanwhile, d’Artagnan is supported by a group of young naval officers who called themselves Les Innovateurs (“The Innovators”) and were derided by the Neutralist faction as Les Marmots (“The Brats”).

Despite the opposition, d’Artagnan ordered the design studies anyway and bid his time. La Rochelle knew this because he is often involved in discussions with the admiral.

“Several adjustments might need to be made, but by removing the smaller secondary guns and installing a uniform main battery, an individual battleship will have a superior reach and firepower compared to older battleships, enough to discourage small ships to charge in and launch their attack.”

Now, let’s see how the Neutralists will counter this argument without losing their credibility.

“Besides, one battleship carrying a uniform main battery is able to replace two to three of our old ironclads and battleships, which meant less manpower, consumption, and maintenance needed. In the long-term, we could have fewer, but more effective battleships.”

“So, the trading quantity for quality…”

“If you’re afraid that this will provoke the Empire, in the first place, our ten battleships will never be able to compete against the Empire’s twenty-four anyway. This is merely a measure to maintain our neutrality in the face of evolving threats. You don’t need to fear anything.”

D’Artagnan nailed his argument by reassuring the Neutralist officers who cannot say anything in return. Looking satisfied, he continued.

“Next, let’s discuss the countermeasures against air-launched magic torpedoes, shall we?”

The meeting between the naval executives continued. In the end, the Neutralist faction begrudgingly accepted d’Artagnan’s proposed countermeasure against HME’s Lancelot, which is openly supported by the Innovator faction.

Shortly after the decision was made, d’Artagnan gathered a group of people from both factions in the Muish Royal Navy to assist him in the detailed design process. The road for the development of Mu’s first all-big-gun battleship, which was also intended to demonstrate various new technologies added later in the design process, has begun.


Currently Publicly Available Information

KINGDOM OF MU

A country located in the northeastern part of the Second Civilization Area, also known as the strongest country of the region and the known world's second most powerful nation, being one of the five superpowers

A country located in the northeastern part of the Second Civilization Area, also known as the strongest country of the region and the known world’s second most powerful nation, being one of the five superpowers. Mu is different from other nations in the known world in that it uses primarily mechanical technology that uses little to no magic, while its neighboring countries are known as magic-users.

Mu is a constitutional monarchy, with the King and the royal family playing a symbolic role, while the Parliament played a legislative and executive role. However, in emergencies, power can be concentrated on the King with the approval of Parliament.

Mu’s foreign policy is marked by its stance of perpetual neutrality and friendly relationship with other countries, although it has occasional border skirmishes against Leifor’s neighboring vassal states.

4