Chapter 25: Geloof
73 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

January 5, 1615 Central Calendar, 09:06

Forest north Bosch Town, Doric Province, Parpaldia Empire

Irene Giovanni van den Bosch, the eldest daughter of a farming family in an Eastern Parpaldian town, was walking quietly among the snow-covered woods. Earlier in the morning, after seeing off her brother who went to the town in yet another attempt to search for a job, Irene picked up her bow and quiver and departed for the forest in order to try her luck and hunt some animals. However, against her brother’s words, who forbade her to go further into the forest, Irene, after some deliberation that was mixed with a tinge of desperation, opted to venture deeper where she believed that the odds of encountering a game would be higher.

She’d been skulking around for three hours, leaving footprints on the calf-deep snow that covered the forest region. Her brown hair, which was typically done up in a high ponytail, was hidden beneath the fur hood of her winter coat, and she wore a face mask to keep the bone-chilling air at bay. But eventually, enduring the cold after being outside for that long paid off when she came upon what appeared to be trails made by a small animal. Following the tracks, Irene soon came across a clearing.

This place… I don’t think I’ve been here before,’ Irene thought at the unfamiliar place, but as she remained vigilant and her eyes scanned the white-covered wilderness, she soon spotted a movement among the snow.

“!!!”

A small, white furry creature was seen hopping in the clearing. There’s no mistake, it must be a Dorian wild hare. Readying her bow, Irene picked an arrow from the quiver hanging from her right waist and nocked it onto the string of her bow, her sharp brown eyes tracking the hare as it jumped around.

Must be nice to be a hare… to be able to move around freely without a care in the world. However… for the sake of my family, I must strike you down!

Irene’s skill with archery showed itself, as after a quick aim, she pulled the string before releasing the arrow that split the air as it flew towards the hare, striking it square on the neck.

“Alright! Beginning of a lucky day!” Irene cheered with a bright smile under her mask as she approached her first hunt for the day.

The now dead animal, the Dorian wild hare, is a leporine species native to the Eastern Parpaldia, but can also be found as far north as the Kooze Kingdom’s southern borders. It was a commonly hunted animal in rural areas across the Doric Province, where hunters accompanied by hunting dogs will come into the forest to hunt these critters. The meat of the Dorian wild hare, sometimes called the “poor man’s chicken” among Parpaldian locals, has a stronger flavor than farmed chicken but can be served similarly.

Usually, Irene can find these roaming in the forest close to her home, but after the harvest failure resulting in food shortage and the price of daily necessities skyrocketing, more and more people come in and hunted all the game she once hunted so easily. In addition, sometimes they turn hostile at the presence of other hunters and harassed them to get out of their way. Even though Irene was aggravated by this, she knew that a young girl like her will be outmatched by these burly, scary-looking hunters and backed down grudgingly to pick what’s left of these aggressive strangers’ hunts. And now that she’d found one for herself, Irene was overjoyed after finally caught a game for the first time in a long time. At least, her family will be able to have some roasted wild hare meat for today’s dinner.

As she approached the dead hare, Irene took out her hunting knife, making a quick incision on the base of the animal’s neck before skinning it with her gloved hands and pulling the skin with all her might. After removing the head, she effortlessly snapped the legs and completed the process by gutting the belly to remove the internal organs. Having done this so many times despite her young age, field dressing this small herbivore came as a second nature for Irene.

Nodding at the hunted hare with satisfaction, Irene then stood up and glanced around.

“Hmm, this part of the forest seems still untouched by human hands. I wonder if I can find more of these…?” she wondered, weighing her options. However, she soon remembered about her brother, Ehren, and groaned loudly.

“Ah, right, Ehren. He must be angry at me if he finds out about this… but if I can bring more for supper, he will not be as upset, right? Perhaps a slice of good hare meat will calm him down.”

Irene convinced herself not to be concerned about her brother’s scolding, and she proceeded farther into the forest, marking her way with branches she picked up from trees. As she walked on, the previously scant vegetation got increasingly thicker, and the sunshine of the clear winter day ceased shining completely on the forest floor. However, Irene’s resolve exceeded her anxiety, as her body never stopped moving in response to her instinct to hunt for more prey, while her eyes darted around the increasingly dim forest, looking for a slightest movement. She clutched her bow with an arrow poised on its string the whole time.

There!

Out of the corner of her eyes, Irene noticed something small moved far to her left and turned to aim, finding it to be another hare. After adjusting her aim in a snap, she unleashed the arrow, instantly killing the creature mid-jump.

With this second prey, the young huntress’s grin grew. She repeated the process she did with the first hare and quickly returned to the marked post in search for yet another creature. She also prayed to the Goddess of the Hunt so that she can catch at least three more. Too hopeful, perhaps, but Irene was optimistic. This unfamiliar place turned out to provide more than she expected.

However, just as she caught her third hare one hour later, Irene saw a different-shaped animal trail, one with what appeared to be a paw with four sharp-pointed toes. Her eyes widened as she recognized what animal that made this trail.

“!!! Wolves!? Grr, damn it, I guess that’s it for the day, better get out of here before I ended up becoming the hunted one…”

Irene, greatly distraught by this turn of events, hurriedly finished field dressing the hare before backtracking along the marked path. As she ran away from the forest, feelings of fear of being watched by a predator mixed with humiliation and anger as memories of her getting harassed by the strangers in her territory surfaced one after another. But still, knowing when back down has allowed her to survive so far and Irene returned to her home on Bosch’s outskirts before encountering any nearby danger.

…………

12:00

The sight of the comfort of her home, however poor it is, made Irene sigh in relief, but she didn’t expect her brother to be there already. Usually, Ehren will go around the town until late in the afternoon searching for a job or food to bring home. However, this time it seems that it was not the case. As she approached, Ehren emerged from the back door and nodded in acknowledgment once his sister stood right in front of him.

“Irene. I see you’re already back, looks like you caught some wild hares today, good for you,” Ehren stated, pointing out the skinned hares that his sister brought home.

“Huh? Shouldn’t I be the one saying that? Why are you going home so quickly?” Irene laughed, but she can’t help but feel bad for disobeying her brother’s words.

Her brother let out a short snort, but his face suddenly turned serious.

“Actually, there’s something I have to say, let’s go inside.”

Irene nodded and followed Ehren inside. As the siblings gathered by the hearth, where Irene proceeded to prepare the meat for lunch, they waited for their mother who has yet to join them. They didn’t have to wait long, though, because their mother came out of her room and walked toward them with a noticeable limp on her leg.

The condition of their mother, a kind woman named Hellen, was always like that as far as Irene remembered. However, it wasn’t always the case. She used to be an adventurous soul who likes to play in the forest and came home after catching bugs or picking flowers and berries. When she became a teenager, she picked up the bow and became a huntress. In fact, it was during one of the hunts that Hellen first met Giovanni, a quiet village boy who would later become her husband.

However, not long after giving birth to Ehren, Hellen was struck by an infection that although it was cured by the town healer, did not completely heal her as Hellen’s left leg went limp, damaged by the infection. Nonetheless, her eyes never lost their light. Irene greatly looked up to her, who always staying strong even when hardships struck their family one after another like this. It was her deeds that inspired Irene to go out and hunt like she once did even though she had no reason to do so.

The fact that the incessant storms from September last year had rendered their crops incapable of providing them with the usual amount of food, and Irene’s hunting had played a significant part in sustaining the family over the recent winter months, gave Irene a somewhat twisted sense of accomplishment. However, she quickly banished those repulsive thoughts in disgust the moment it crossed her mind.

As everyone was sitting in the room, Ehren spoke, “Good. Everyone’s here.”

“What is it that you wish to tell us, Ehren?” Hellen wondered.

“Yes. Actually, this morning, before I go around the town, I visited the tavern first. It was then I heard it…”

Ehren went on to explain what he heard from the magical transmission device in the tavern he visited earlier. Especially the announcement from the Holy Empire’s government, a metaphorical ray of light among the dark clouds that hung over their land. When he finished explaining, the more mature members of the family were stunned as they realized the implication of Ehren’s statement.

“A-are you serious!?” Irene exclaimed, breaking the silence.

“I know it’s hard to believe, but it’s really what I heard,” Ehren replied, his expression still serious, “I’m not sure what to make of it, though.”

Hellen remained silent, mulling about the information that her son just conveyed, and before she could give an answer, Irene blurted loudly.

“Isn’t it wonderful!? Ehren, you’ve been looking for jobs for so long. I think you should take it!”

To her words, Ehren took on a very pained look on his face. However, he countered Irene’s overexcited remarks while raising three fingers to make his point.

“What…? Did you just forget that first, the work site is on an island so far away from here; second, in order to even get there, I must go to the capital first; and third, if I leave you all here, who will take care of the family? I just can’t. We don’t have enough money to even get there. That’s why I’m not sure. I even think that this whole announcement is useless,” he said bitterly.

“Uh… s-sorry.”

Irene, whose jubilation was shot down by her brother’s words, was depressed. Ehren’s news appeared to be too good to be true, so she became overly thrilled and ignored everything else. Ruud and Teresa, who are still too young, watched the exchange with their innocent curiosity. Meanwhile, Hellen, having calmed down, closed her eyes for a moment and pondered.

“I understand. But first, since it’s already noon, let us have lunch. I will think about this matter while we are eating. Irene, have you finished preparing the meat?” Hellen asked as she got up with her damaged leg.

“Ah, y-yes, of course!”

“Now let me do the rest.”

“Wait, mother, let me help you as well,” Ehren offered, to which Hellen nodded with a small smile.

As Irene ushered Ruud and Teresa to wait in another room, the eldest son and the mother set out to cook the hunted meat.

…………

Thanks to the hare caught by Irene earlier this morning, the lunch turned out to be a much more fulfilling meal than the one they have on the previous days. If Ehren wanted to ask where in the world Irene caught them, he did not question it. He himself was thankful that at least his family was still able to have something to fill their stomach, at least better than the scraps he brought home by spending what’s left of their money after wandering aimlessly for an entire day.

As for Ehren, just like the previous days, he managed to buy one loaf of bread before going home. When Hellen asked why he only brought one, he said that the price of bread had been raised. Technically he was right, the price for a loaf of bread was rising, but that had already occurred yesterday when he stole another loaf and brought them home.

Now, with the young Ruud and Teresa being told to rest in their bedroom, Ehren, Irene, and Hellen gathered by the hearth once again to continue their earlier talk.

“About the earlier, mother, I am torn. What should I do?”

The elder son started in a quiet tone as he stared at the lit-up hearth in front of him. His eyes, reflecting the flickering flames with the embers dancing around, did not attempt to hide his inner turmoil. Seeing her brother wearing such a downtrodden look upsets Irene, who unconsciously pulled the blanket that wrapped around her body tighter.

“I am done thinking about it, and I wanted to ask you this question. What is it that you truly desire?”

He didn’t quite understand the meaning of his mother’s words, so he asked back.

“Huh? What do you mean, mother?”

“I am asking what Ehren truly desires.”

Ehren went silent and asked himself in his heart the same question. However, shortly after that, he began to answer that question slowly.

“I… I want us to have food that doesn’t make us sick. I want us to have walls that hold back the wind. I want us to live a decent life—no, don’t tell me, mother, are you suggesting that I should go?”

Hellen nodded with a warm smile at her son’s question.

“Yes, I am. Are you not interested in that job offer?”

“W-well I am, but…”

Hellen did not miss the hopeful glint in Ehren’s eyes as he came home and conveyed the news, and correctly guessed her son’s desire. Who wouldn’t? The pay for the job offered by the Holy Empire is unprecedentedly high, and this family will be guaranteed a decent life if he can take it and sent those home. Besides, if they were to borrow some money just enough to pay Ehren’s travel expenses to Esthirant, they can easily cover the debt with that amount of money. However, at the same time, as a substitute for their father who went to war in a faraway land, he has a duty to protect and take care of the family, and it was his biggest concern that something would happen to them in his absence.

In his heart, Ehren really wanted to go but he couldn’t with those thoughts weighing on his mind, so Hellen was trying to clear her son’s doubts.

He glanced at Irene. “Mm! Don’t worry about us. We may be poor, but we are not so weak that a bit of snow can make us give up living. We’ll manage,” she said confidently. “Besides, do you forget that I am a huntress? Just today I just caught us a game, all I need to do is wal—I mean, luck! Yes, with enough luck, I can catch more and larger hunts, you see!”

As she caught her slip of tongue, Irene internally slapped herself. She realized that the whole point of this talk seems to persuade Ehren not to worry about them so that he can go for the job offer with a clear heart. If she told him that she did what Ehren told her not to do, wouldn’t that bring the progress back to square one?

With those words, the mother and daughter saw that Ehren just stared at the fireplace, then he began to tremble slightly and brought his hand to rub his eyes which were on the verge of tears.

“Are you okay?” Hellen reached out to Ehren’s shaking shoulders and asked in a concerned tone.

“I’m okay… it’s just… I-I understand. Mother, Irene, thank you very much… B-but are you really sure about this?”

“Mm-hmm. Rest assured that we will be alright, as for telling Ruud and Teresa about this, leave it to me. If this is what you think you must do, then I will support you, my son. I believe in you.”

“Besides, Ehren. It’s not like there’s anything you can do in this town, right? With all the days you came home empty handed, might as well looking for job somewhere else,” Irene pointed out rather bluntly.

“Hush, don’t speak to your brother in that tone, Irene.”

However, instead of getting offended, the teary-eyed Ehren let out a faint chuckle as he heard her words.

“Nah, she’s got a point. But now the question is… the travel expenses.”

“Ah yes, the textile merchant that lives near the town hall might be willing to lend us some money. He used to owe a favor toward Gio, so I think he will be more negotiable than the others,” Hellen mused, mentioning the affectionate nickname she gave to her husband.

Ehren sighed sadly at the words. Borrowing money… it is an act that their family has done their best to avoid even though they were poor. Not out of pride or anything, but because the risk that comes with it, which is to surrender oneself to the cruel chains of bondage should they fail to repay their debts, is simply too scary to even think about. Everything about this is a gamble, and he hated it.

“So we have to ask for money from others, after all…”

“It can’t be helped. We may have survived without relying on anyone for so long, but if this keeps up, we will eventually have no choice but borrow some money and hope that in the next harvest, it will be plentiful, enough for us to repay the debts.”

Listening Hellen talking about it reminded Ehren where Irene’s optimism came from. “It doesn’t mean I have to like it, though,” he grunted, stifling a small smile.

“Speaking of which, Ehren, when do you leave?” Irene asked.

“Hm? It’s best that I depart for the place as soon as possible. Also, I’d prefer to board a ship since it’s the fastest and safest route from here to the capital. I might have to wait in the harbor, though, so it can be a bit longer.”

Compared to the land route between the Doric Province and the capital city of Esthirant, the sea voyage by chartering a merchant ship is a much faster and safer option. Even more so after the food crisis struck, where reports of highwaymen attacking merchant caravans traveling on the road between the empire’s regions began to increase, not to mention the poor condition of roads and other hazards that might befall the travelers on their journey.

“Hmm, yeah, the sooner the better,” Irene remarked.

“Then, you should visit the merchant early tomorrow.”

Ehren did not seem to disagree with their words, so he just nodded silently.

After that, the family decided to spend their time together before their eldest son started making preparations for departing to the capital. Thankfully he has little belongings in the first place, making it simple for him to pack up things.

Next, telling Ruud and Teresa would be the most difficult part. But thanks to Hellen’s help, he somehow managed to convince his younger siblings that ‘he will be doing some errands and will be away for a while so that they can buy a nice meal.’ The way they responded to his words are so innocent and bright, as if the bleak situation of their town never happened. It actually caused a pang of discomfort in his heart at the thought of leaving them. But at the very least, Ehren isn’t going to head to some battlefield.

He is going to work hard and repay their faith in him to give them a chance to live a comfortable life.


Currently Publicly Available Information

DORIAN WILD HARE

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f376b794c6b58426a30477a352d673d3d2d313235333834333037342e313730373236663239366536366633313737323036343731303136342e706e67

The Dorian wild hare, also known by its binomial name, Lepus doriaeusgiven by the Holy Milishial Empire’s ‘Astra ed Luminem Institute of Biological Research’, is a species of hare native to the southeastern part of Philades Continent. It is an herbivorous mammal feeding mainly on grasses and herbs, supplementing these with twigs, buds, bark and field crops during winter. The Dorian wild hares are an active species, where they can be seen in broad daylight chasing one another around in fields. The Dorian wild hare’s fur color is yellow-brown, but during winter, they will turn into a complete white.

4