Chapter 31: Be, and It Is – Tornado of Desires
73 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the break time is over and its time for their turn, Meteos Roguerider and Walman Falkenhausen without hesitation strode to the center of the field where they will proceed with the testing of the Second-Generation Manadriver, which basically using it to their hearts' content. Now that their teacher Robin had shown them all the general idea of how to use the device, they decided to go straight to test the advertised ability of this awesome magic tool: using installed spells as 'ingredients' to a more diverse, instantaneous magic casting. Granted, the repertoire is still quite limited, so they must be considerate of their desires or else it could risk the device crashing.

But progress is progress.

"Hmm, how should we proceed with this?" Walman muttered, staring at a Runite Charger in his hand. He was given the same model as Meteos, a regal gold and white-colored Manadriver that was for some reason named "BIRTH-DAY", in capital letters, by its maker.

"How about I go first?" Meteos offered.

Weighing his options, Walman responded.

"Sure, you're the smarter one. I think you can figure it out easily," he said, feeling confident that his childhood friend will breeze through using this new device just like Meteos had with everything else. Besides, didn't he say that he 'got the gist of it' earlier? Walman concluded that it is best that he observed how Meteos do it first.

Meteos paused in inserting the green Core Circuit into the Runite Redoublizer and turned to look at him with a slightly stunned gaze.

"What are you talking about?" he muttered softly, but audible enough for the brunette to hear.

"Eh? What?"

There is no trace of resentment in Walman's tone as he said those words. To be fair, Walman in his teenage years is much more timid compared to his adult counterpart in the previous timeline and it is safe to say that their relationship in this new life is very much warmer than the estranged rivalry they once had in Meteos' old life. But Meteos did not expect him to say that line so openly. So, a future tragedy can be avoided by being nice.

"......Never mind," Meteos lightly shook his head.

After signaling Fiolina that he is ready, Meteos pressed the Runite Charger against his palm to start the activation, causing the BIRTH-DAY Manadriver to emit a noticeably higher-pitched beeping sound than the A.M. Revolution used by Robin.

"So, wind magic spells, talk about lucky. It just happens to be my element. The spells for Gale, Great Breakthrough, and Wind Protective Wall, regardless of its purpose, they all manipulates air pressure and velocity. With a bit of mix and match, their spell components can combine to create the effects of several spells I know of," Meteos mused.

The fact that he memorized many magic spells down to their components and is able to determine combinations on the fly reinforced Walman's opinion about his friend's intelligence.

He turned to face the still-standing stone pillars among the rubble that littered the clearing.

"But I only desire to destroy that stone with wind magic, what do you think this Manadriver will produce?"

Walman brought a hand to his chin and pondered for a second.

"Er... I'm not too familiar with wind magic, but... maybe something destructive that is not whirlwind?"

"Okay. Well, time to find out. Proceeding with the experiment."

Feeling his heart pounding from anticipation, Meteos took a deep breath to calm himself, exhaled, and then took a stance, spreading his legs with knees bent and his left hand extended forward. Meanwhile, the right hand holding the Runite Charger was brought close to his waist. As he channeled his mana to the device, powering up the Manadriver, it started to emit very faint green particles forming a vortex around the Runite Charger. Meteos concentrated and reaffirmed his desire.

"Grant me the power to realize my desire!" he shouted, bringing his right hand forward to punch the air with all his might.

"SEIYAAA!"

In an instant, the particles transformed into a highly compressed wind bullet rotating at a very high speed that shot through the field in a straight line. Although the wind bullet was invisible to the naked eye, the result was immediately shown as the stone pillar that Meteos targeted suddenly exploded in a shower of debris and dust, reducing the target into a jagged rock half of its original height.

"!!!"

Walman who stood some distance behind Meteos felt his jaw went slack, awestruck as his friend's magic obliterated the stone pillar in the blink of an eye. The only indication that the magic activated is the barely visible particles moments before Meteos punched the air and a stone pillar just exploded. It's just like what he had read in the books, that although wind magic is not as grandiose as fire, water, lightning, and earth in terms of visual, it is, in fact, the deadliest basic element if used right.

"......Hmm, there's no mistaking it, that is a wind bullet. A Drilling Air Bullet, to be precise. So that's how the Manadriver interprets my desire," Meteos muttered in satisfaction as he relaxed his stance.

The Runite Charger's built-in amplifier caused the mana to double its power, resulting in a larger-scale replication of the Drilling Air Bullet, a long-range wind magic that was generally used to assassinate people by destroying their heads with tremendous pressure on a single point. When Meteos and Walman's eyes met each other, the former gave the latter a small smile and a nod.

"It is easy to use. The computer and the amplifier are working properly, all you do is think of a goal and channel your mana, then release. Now I'll do it again but this time without using the Charger."

Meteos attached the Charger to the belt on his waist and took the stance again. This time, however, he made a different gesture. In a swift motion, he spread his hands to both sides, then brought them crossing in front of him. As the green particles appeared and swirled in front of him, Meteos brought his hands close to his sides. The particles rotated even faster and shrunk in size, gathering into Meteos' hands.

"Feast your eyes on this! Technique development! Lámhach Stoirme!"

As Meteos thrust both of his hands forward, unleashing the magic with a name Walman never heard before, the particles transformed into a barrage of Drilling Air Bullets that flew toward a group of stone pillars. Even faster than the first one, multiple circular holes suddenly formed simultaneously on the sturdy pillars followed by dust and snow that the magic kicked up.

He then made the punching the air motion again, unleashing a fairly strong wind bullet and quickly turned to yet another stone pillar. With every blow he made, the stone pillars suddenly lost a chunk of themselves as the magic tore through them, but those were still nowhere as strong as the very first Drilling Air Bullet he conjured.

"How should I feast my eyes on that!? I can't even see them... Scary..."

Walman shuddered to imagine himself standing in the way of those invisible projectiles. What he did not know is that even a nearly-soundless wind bullet that can suddenly turn a person or a monster into a bloody shower upon impact is still considered quite "flashy" by wind magic standards. There are even more silent techniques where the caster can simply manipulate air to choke an enemy to death or to transform the air they are breathing into razor-sharp winds that ravage their bodies from the inside.

By the time Meteos finished casting the magic, a group of stone pillars a hundred meters away from their location was reduced to ruins, where the still-standing ones were riddled with holes and damage that can be seen among the billowing dust and snowy cloud.

The silverette turned toward Walman, panting slightly, and gave him a thumbs-up. His friend stared at him.

"Hey, Meteos," Walman started. "What the hell is Stoir—whatever that you yelled earlier?"

"Oh, that. Lámhach Stoirme. I made that name up. It's Enysfalian for 'Storm Shooting.' I just couldn't help myself," Meteos answered cheekily.

"Ah, I see!" the brunette pounded a fist to his open palm, "Well... I already forgot most of its lessons. My Enysfalian is very rusty."

"Walman, you live in Leiden and your neighbor is a Druid. Yet I find it amusing that you somehow understand Rucymish more, of all things."

"Blame it on my dad and his Navy buddies, I guess," Walman shrugged. "Maybe I should come up with cool names for myself!"

"Sure. Maybe you should use your grandpa's mother tongue?"

"Herzlander? Oh, hell, nah. That's even worse. But by the way, how come you're the fluent one? That language isn't even from this land."

"Well, I can be very curious about things," Meteos chuckled. "I can teach it if you want."

"Hmm, it's very ironic... but I'd love to."

…………

Robin learned that one of the Second-Generation Manadriver's characteristics is that due to its advanced computer, even if one knows what spells are installed in the wielder's device, there are so many possibilities that it is hard to predict what magic will come out of the caster's desire even if she can narrow it down based on the elemental affinity. The wielder can even potentially invent new magic without knowing. Due to the very faint particles that appear upon the magic's activation, it cannot be seen from her place. But by looking at the damage on the stone pillars, which took the form of spiraling holes, she concluded that the closest existing spell capable of creating that effect is the infamous Drilling Air Bullet.

'So of all magic, the one that appears is that technique. I wonder what kind of desire Meteos wished for when he cast that magic? Is it vague or detailed? Man, so many unknowns with this one,' Robin thought as she observed her apprentice's handiwork from afar with arms crossed and narrowed eyes. But for now, let her cheer for her apprentices. And so, she stood up from her seat and yelled loudly.

…………

"By the way, Walman, I think next someone is going to say, 'Holy shit,'" Meteos joked.

"Huh?" the brunette raised an eyebrow at Meteos and snorted. "Yeah, right."

"OOOOOH MYYYY GOOOOOODS!"

Robin's yelling sounded from the edge of the clearing not long after that. Hearing it, Walman roared in laughter while Meteos tried to fight back an embarrassed blush.

"Dammit."

It seemed that even with his future knowledge, he can't predict what people will say next. But how in the world did Robin do that?

…………

"Holy shit!"

Aym, an agent of the Ancient Arms Analysis Tactical Operations Department's Control Division, whisper-yelled from inside the car parked away from the Training Ground. As he watched Agent Flamberge's two apprentices performing the test, the silver-haired one, Roguerider, stepped forward and took a fighting stance before punching the air. The next thing he knew, his invisible magic—wind elemental, there's no doubt about it—destroyed a stone pillar as if it was hit by a 20 or 30-millimeter magic light gun. The subsequent attacks, although noticeably less powerful, are still enough to reduce the surroundings into a ruined mess.

Aym's companion, Sitri, decided to give her own two cents.

"According to our information, he's the one with wind affinity. I'm guessing that is an overpowered version of the Drilling Air Bullet. Well, we can't be sure if it's an exact Drilling Air Bullet or just a replication that resembled that technique. It all depends on the device's ability to compute the user's desire and project it, which is a very broad ability already."

"Drilling Air Bullet, huh...? I did not expect the Manadriver's desire-granting ability to be that great, when all he has is spells of basic techniques."

"But regardless of the Manadriver's power, we also have to take the user's own proficiency into account. Look at him, there's no way someone unfamiliar with wind magic or a newbie can cast something powerful but controlled like that."

Aym rubbed his chin, "Makes sense, reports say that the person of interest has been practicing since his childhood. So do his friend. Them being under Agent Flamberge's apprenticeship only serves to intensify their training regimen."

Sitri did not say anything further, keeping her eyes glued to the distant clearing. Demonstrating a Drilling Air Bullet seems fitting to test the limits of the Manadriver, a revolutionary magic technology, the masked redhead thought.

Among the magic practitioners, wind elemental magic seldom received enough appreciation because of its less flashy nature. However, the Drilling Air Bullet is an exception due to its infamy as the favorite technique for the Holy Milishial Empire's assassins and its historical significance, being a magic that makes this country what it is.

First appeared during the Warring Kingdoms Period more than 3.000 years ago by the name of "Ventus Terebratoria," the magic spell was invented by Prince Hollowrain, a town elf who would later become known as His Majesty the Emperor, Milishial VIII. He first used it to snipe the king of an invading southern dragonfolk tribe at the time during an ambush, heralding the end of the dragonfolk's domination over the land east of Runepolis, the reconquest, and then the unification of the fractured Middle Lands (this region's name before the term 'First Civilization Area' was coined). As the elven prince desired a strong country but was aware that his people also consisted of humans, dwarves, and beastmen who were less attuned to magic compared to his own race, the prince ordered the creation of a magic tool that can replicate his technique's effect at all costs, and as a result, inspired by this magic, the weapon called 'gun' was born.

It was also from this spell's characteristics that the Milishians later learned the concept of 'rifling' to be used on their smaller firearms because they wanted to replicate the spinning projectile effect of the spell without expending more mana to spin a bullet inside the barrel. Because of the existence of this magic, the Holy Milishial Empire technically never experienced the era of smoothbore guns.

Funnily enough, when the usage of quasi-rifles began to become widespread among the unified Holy Milishial Empire's military several decades later, they finally began to discover ancient relics in large numbers, among them an Ancient Sorcerous Empire's firearm dubbed the 'Lightwing Carbine,' a spirit magic gun (a type of magic firearm that uses two rails of magical arrays to propel projectiles). For centuries the Holy Empire's gun design did not evolve much because the barbarians that keep invading them did not even know what a 'gun' is and were very easy to defeat. It was until recent times and after observing the Muish Civil War, where two warring factions using guns fought each other, that the Holy Milishial Empire took a giant leap in their gun design by introducing machine guns and true rifles equipped with the bolt-action mechanism.

The Ventus Terebratoria magic allowed Prince Hollowrain's people to acquire a very clever and easy way of murdering people. Among other things, it allowed them to push back their invaders and put an end to the Warring Kingdoms Period, bringing peace to the Middle Lands as the victorious Holy Milishial Empire, even though they started the period living as a collection of oppressed weaklings.

The rest of the history is just like what the Milishians are taught in schools: after unifying the Middle Lands, His Majesty the Emperor decided to stop the wave of conquest and built their position in the international community through diplomacy as the strongest nation in the known world, and the Second Amendment limiting uncontrolled magical arts practice.

Sitri sighed, "It seems that we will have much to report."

Aym replied to her words sympathetically, "And it's just the beginning..."

"Mm, yes. It's only the beginning..."

The two masked agents continued to observe the proceedings.

…………

"Alright, Walman. The sun is getting up but it's still cold. Why don't you make things warmer a bit?"

After a round of discussion, Walman Falkenhausen whooped as his turn came and picked up his Runite Charger.

His affinity is fire, the most aggressive element of the basic five. Almost all known fire magic is used for attack, to reduce enemies to cinders. A fire elemental mage always tries to overwhelm the enemy with powerful strikes from a distance, while defense for them means stopping an enemy attack with an even more powerful attack.

However, in order to destroy the stone pillar, simply burning is not enough. Walman's flames are not hot enough to melt rock, so he must think of something else related to fire that can destroy it... explosion.

After activating the Manadriver, Walman readied himself with a low stance, slowly lifting to aim the Manadriver at a target while his other hand supported it, holding it at the elbow.

"In order to destroy a stone pillar using fire, it must be able to explode upon impact. I get it. My desire... is for that stone pillar to explode... using my magic," Walman said as he channeled his mana to the Runite Charger, bright red particles began to coalesce around the knuckle.

Meteos grunted. As a side effect of his friend's fire magic charging, he can feel the temperature around him rise a bit.

'Fireball, Exploding Flame Shot, and Running Fire. It can be done, but it will be taxing if he wants it to be truly destroyed,' he thought, deciding to stay close to Walman in case something undesirable happens.

…………

"Ohoho, it's the fire element boy! Now, what kind of magic will come out? Is it a fireball? Or is it an—"

"Quiet!" Sitri chided, smacking the top of Aym's overexcited head with her backhand.

…………

The charging magic power finally took a bright red ball of energy spinning wildly in front of Walman's Runite Charger.

"Fire!"

As he willed the magic power to destroy his target, the energy ball then transformed into a destructive-looking beam of flames rushing to the stone pillar.

BOOOOOOOOOM!

Upon impacting the standing stone, it granted Walman's wish in a grandiose fashion: the magic exploded on the rock with a loud roar, engulfing it in a pillar of fire and debris. Not only that, as the sheer heat of the flame beam melted the snow on the ground, it conjured a line of water vapor in the place where the attack passed.

"HAAAAAAARGH!"

Walman channeled more mana to the Charger. Not knowing how much mana was needed to manifest his desire on the reality, the boy decided to give as much as possible, increasing the intensity of the flame beam.

CRACK-BOOOOOOOM!

"How's that...!?" Walman shouted, looking at the result with trepidation.

After several seconds of firing, the raging wildfire soon subsided, revealing the extent of the damage he had inflicted on the target. The top part of the stone pillar where the flame beam struck was blown away, leaving a deformed chunk of rock just like Meteos' wind bullet did to the helpless object earlier.

".........Ugh!"

Walman collapsed to his knees with ragged breathing, but Meteos immediately jumped in and held his friend.

"Are you alright?" he calmly asked.

"It's hot."

"You don't say," Meteos snarked, but gently helped him sit on the ground.

"I'm feeling spent just from that one attack already..."

"You overexerted your mana when you charged that magic. But Walman, that was lit. Pardon the pun."

Walman chuckled at his attempt to cheer him. Then, the sound of boots rapidly crunching the snow caught their attention and when they turned to look, their teacher Robin had already been on their way, running, while the Aikon Corporation secretary Fiolina trailed behind her.

"Report!" Robin shouted the moment she arrived.

"Walman has a mild case of mana exhaustion."

Walman just spent around thirty percent of his total mana reserves in that single attack which happened in a very short time. In normal circumstances, a mage will try their best to avoid this, carefully managing their mana consumption so that their loss of energy happens gradually. In a more severe case, the sudden exhaustion that came crashing like waves can knock someone unconscious.

"I understand. You need to take a break," the Mage said, crouching to meet Walman's gaze and checking his body for visible injuries. Fortunately, there were none besides his sweating face. The protective gear that the boy wore protected him well from the fire.

The brunette boy slurred, "A bit of rest seems nice."

"Good. Now let's go. We have an entire day to do this. Take it easy."

"Next time try a more controlled approach with your magic," Meteos advised.

"I will."

"Okay, Walman, now let me do this. Here goes!"

"Huh? W-what are you doing!? Hey!"

With a cackle, Robin lifted the boy from Meteos' arms and carried him on her back before bolting to the nearby warehouse in order for Walman to recuperate. The poor Walman was too tired to do anything, so he just covered his eyes in resignation.

Meteos crouched to pick up Walman's Runite Charger that was left behind, running his hand on its surface. It's warm and appeared to be undamaged. One of the Runite Charger's components, the Discharge Wings, did its function without fail, harmlessly discharging a portion of the excessive mana that Walman channeled earlier to prevent the device from overloading itself and self-destructing.

"Will he be alright?" Fiolina muttered. "I... uh... I did not expect all of those things, those are amazing, but I'm worried about your friend..."

"Don't worry. Walman is not a weakling. With one or two hours of rest, I think he can resume the testing if it's okay with you."

"N-not at all! Take as much time as you need. This is a part of my job, after all."

"That's relieving to hear. On the bright side, we have another thing to review. I have so much to talk about."

The beastwoman gave him a nod. It is still around seven o'clock in the morning, a long day awaited the four of them—and their two unseen observers.

"......Heh, good grief."

Meteos suddenly let out a short chuckle, drawing Fiolina's attention.

"Is there something wrong, Mister Roguerider?" she tilted her head.

"Ah, nothing, don't worry about it," he waved off Fiolina's inquiry.

'Fiolina Bucciarati. Your face might not show it, but you are very excited seeing people doing their magical spectacles, aren't you? Judging by your tail, that is,' Meteos thought slyly as he walked behind Fiolina to the warehouse.

Fiolina Bucciarati of the raccoon-dog Daby Tribe has a soft and bushy tail as part of her demi-human traits. Even though the beastwoman tried her best to keep her facial expression impassive throughout the entire thing, her tail was not. It subconsciously moved following her emotions, wiggled adorably whenever she witnessed a magic spell being performed or when one of them interrupted her explanation, and slumped when she is worried. It seemed that no one, not even the tail's owner, paid attention to this, but Meteos did, and it amused him.

People really are unique.


17:30

Aikon Corporation Headquarters, William Ameir District, Runepolis

As the sun was setting, the CEO of Aikon Corporation, Victor Legendorga, was sitting inside his office, leaning on his desk with his fingers crossed. Facing him is Fiolina, his secretary who was giving him a verbal report on the morning's activities at the Ancient Ministry's Training Ground.

"...that concludes my initial report about the prototype's testing, Mister President."

When Fiolina finished her report, Victor leaned in his chair and spun on it, turning to face the sprawling metropolis behind his office's window panes. After taking a deep breath, he abruptly shot up from his chair and shouted.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

Victor was jubilant. To say that the test is successful was an understatement. It took him all of his willpower not to jump and interrupt Fiolina's report every time she mentioned the Second-Generation Manadriver's newfound capabilities.

Victor turned around and spoke cheerfully, "Fiolina, thank you for your work. Now, come closer."

He motioned his secretary to come closer and then produced an envelope from his outfit, which was then handed to the beastwoman. It was the bonus he had promised to give to her upon completing the task. Fiolina, who had anticipated this, bowed in gratitude, but as soon as she laid her eyes upon the label, she widened her eyes.

"Forty-five percent...!?"

"Oh, yes. About the fifteen percent that I will give you... I feel that is too few for your troubles, so I triple it. How is that?"

Fifteen plus forty-five, that means Fiolina just acquired a 60% bonus of her usual salary, which is already high. She was at a loss for words, still feeling that she did not really do much other than running a simple errand and watching her favorite magic spectacle to deserve such an amount of money.

"Never mind, you must be tired. You can go home now, enjoy your weekend, Fiolina."

"M-Mister President... thank you very much... e-excuse me..."

"Mm... good evening."

After Fiolina exited the office, the CEO opened a document detailing the Second-Generation Manadriver from a stack of papers sprawled on his desk. To be able to use magic power, one part that the inhabitants of this world were born with, without having to recite cumbersome spells that become increasingly longer the more powerful the desire behind it is, is the everybeing's longtime dream. Even the Holy Milishial Empire's magic technology cannot eliminate this obstacle completely, only reducing the time it takes to do so.

However, one woman with an ambition set out to find ways to eliminate said obstacle. Her name is Robin, and with fortunate circumstances brought by her encounter with a pair of youths that now became her apprentices, she succeeded in inventing the device that can defy the longstanding rule of casting magic in this world: the Manadriver. Her ultimate goal is to be able to use magic to realize one's own desire without having to go through the lengthy process of chanting spells.

Following her footsteps, Victor Legendorga ordered his company to create a better version of the Manadriver that can do what the First-Generation Manadriver cannot. And that effort has borne fruit.

To say that the testing of the Second-Generation Manadriver is a success is an understatement. Although its three-spell capacity is regrettable, the inbuilt computer's ability to use them as resources is a huge achievement for such a small device. Fiolina even reported that the three participants of the testing managed to cast new magical abilities of their respective elemental affinities that were unseen before. In other words, they just invented new magic spells by just desiring it to happen.

Alas, the device cannot memorize the computation it produces, and as a result, those new magical abilities were lost. It is doubtful that any attempt to replicate it will result in the exact same thing. Victor's incompetence and lack of foresight had denied the people a chance to learn those new inventions, develop them, and pass them on to future generations. That was a shameful display on his part.

"I must rectify this mistake at once... that's right..."

Victor pulled his grimoire and called for the R&D chief to come to his office and discuss the future improvements of the Second-Generation Manadriver. He will be busier than ever, but Victor didn't mind it at all, because on this day...

It was a happy...

...Happy...

...HAPPY BIRTHDAY...

...to a new age filled with excitement.


23:14

A dark-haired and brown-skinned man sitting at a chair inside an office room sighed with a complicated look on his face after listening to the report conveyed by his subordinates, Agents Sitri and Aym. After Robin and her apprentices finished testing the Aikon Corporation's Manadriver at around thirteen o'clock, their hidden observers immediately left the area and prepared to report to the Ancient Arms Analysis Tactical Operations Department's headquarters, a complex hidden somewhere in Runepolis. And now, they just finished explaining what transpired during the day.

The man addressed as the superior gave a glance at the folder and several magic photographs that the two agents took before leaning in his chair and snorted.

"Legendorga the Younger... that neket iadet. As useful as an ally he might be, he is way too whimsical for my liking. Is everything a plaything in his eyes?" he grumbled.

There is no denying the Aikon Corporation's usefulness as a partner. This company collaborates with the Ancient Ministry by manufacturing and supplying magic circuits as the Ministry requested, with their products outclassing others in terms of quality. To have his company achieve this feat that no other company has achieved, Victor Legendorga must have his fair share of brilliant minds working at his Condor Tower. This is also one of the reasons why the Aikon Corporation's employees formed the second-largest majority of the additional personnel that the Ancient Ministry drew into the Alpha Edge Project from the available worker pools after the RMA.

"None of this would have happened if he takes his time and contacted us in advance so that we can prepare things. But nooo... he had to contact our esteemed Director personally and shoved his new toys. You have to be kidding me. Also, what the hell is the Director even thinking? None of his stunts make any sense at all."

The development of a Heavenly Vessel is already adopted as the Ancient Ministry's future policy. There are unexpected developments along the way, but the overall situation is favorable. However, Arsene Lippin, the Director of MOASEC, somehow promised, or rather blurted, to His Majesty the Emperor himself that a new Heavenly Vessel can be completed within two years. The problem is, the upper management will absolutely never accept if the new Heavenly Vessel turns out to be only a slight improvement from the previous series. Everything must be a great leap in terms of performance to catch up with the Ancient Sorcerous Empire's own Heavenly Vessel as much as possible before they returned. So when Victor Legendorga approached Lippin with a device containing an even more advanced magic circuit, the core of the Holy Milishial Empire's advancements, the Director accepted it without a second thought.

'That's what you get for appointing an inexperienced guy to the job, I guess. Lippin should have never even become a leader in the first place. That is all that man's fault!'

His thoughts wandered back to Lippin's predecessor, former Minister Bandero Capone, who blundered so hard that he got fired and this series of events started. At least, unlike Capone, Lippin is willing to bear the responsibility for his actions and tried to make the leading organization in humanity's protection live up to its name.

'No matter, there is no use dwelling on the past events.'

The man sighed and looked at his subordinates again, "That being said, Sitri, and Aym, you did a good job. From now on, you are hereby ordered to stand by and return to your ordinary lives tomorrow."

Sitri and Aym bowed again before exiting the office.

…………

The eeriness of a dimly-lit empty hallway greeted the two agents upon exiting the office room. The headquarters, which was designed to confuse intruders, was designed in such a way that it resembled a creepy labyrinth that feels somehow exists in this world and not at the same time. However, for the agents who were practically entities lurking in these spaces, they can navigate through the headquarters with ease.

As they walked, Aym stretched and let out a loud yawn.

"Finally, we get to exit this funny-smelling maze and back to the real civilization! If only we are not bound to secrecy, I would've already been bragging about being able to work side by side with you to my friends," he sighed longingly, causing Sitri to roll her eyes.

"Keep your job as an agent out of your ordinary affairs or else..."

Aym turned at her with an offended look, "I'm not that stupid, ma'am."

Upon reaching an intersection, the two parted ways to head towards the changing room of their respective genders before exiting the headquarters.

"Well then, Agent Sitri, I'm off, see you around," Aym said, offering his hand.

Sitri shook Aym's hands, "Well, if you miss me so much, you can find my real face everywhere. Be careful on your way home... Aym."

The masked man bowed and departed in the opposite direction.

…………

When Sitri entered the changing room, she encountered another woman inside, arriving just as she draped a red scarf around her shoulders. It was Flamberge, an agent from the Operational Division who just returned from a temporary assignment at the Runepolis Magic Academy several months ago. At present, she was assigned to watch over the Ancient Ministry's designated person of interest, Meteos Roguerider, and help him with his little projects. Yes, this is Professor Robin Calvello.

Sensing her presence, Robin turned around, grinning as soon as she saw the masked woman standing in the doorway.

"Oh my. Is that you, Sitri? Long time no see!"

"Mm, indeed, my dear Flamberge," she nodded. "But like what I said to everyone, if you miss me so much—"

"Your real face is everywhere, I know," Robin finished, rolling her eyes. "Not that I miss you that much, or at all."

"You hurt my feelings."

Sitri pouted and walked to a locker to start changing. The masked woman finally took off her black mask and slowly undressed, changing the black-colored suit of light armor she was wearing for a white button-up over a black undershirt, a matching skirt, leggings, and boots.

The person behind that mask is a sight to behold, with flowing red hair, a shapely figure, and a delicate face belonging to a young woman in her twenties, even though her real age is already three decades old. However, what will catch the attention of many is the redhead's golden eyes, where instead of round black pupils, vertical slits were present in their place. Those bewitching orbs are the mark of Sitri's heritage: a beastwoman of the snake Bemiu Tribe.

While she was putting on her change clothes, Sitri asked Robin, "How are you doing, Flamberge?"

"Oh, yes, I just heard from the Chief. You and Aym were there earlier. Well, I'm a bit exhausted and sore in places, but I just took a good rest before reporting here, so I am fine and feeling refreshed. By the way, Sitri, how do you like the show?"

"Stellar, as expected of Flamberge. Also, it seems that you've gotten yourself some really interesting students, that person of interest and his friend."

"Heeh, I know, right!? Did you see Meteos creating wind blades—oh, wait, never mind, those are invisible, or Walman's flaming beam!? They are so creative with their new toys that I think we just invented one or two new magic back then...!"

Sitri listened to her fellow agent's chattering with a smile that she never showed while wearing that black mask. Earlier in the day, Meteos, Walman, and Robin took turns practicing with the Second-Generation Manadriver, testing its limits and creating new magical techniques on the fly. The session also unexpectedly doubled as a language lesson because Walman, the son of an ethnic Herzlander hailing from northern Magicaraich, was ironically getting a Herzlander language lesson from Meteos, an Enysfalian. All because he wanted to name the moves he just created.

After finishing dressing up, Sitri sat down across from Robin.

"I know, I was there, remember? At this rate, I'm really looking forward to call you Master Calvello."

"Thank you. I will definitely become a Master, like my mother and father before me."

"Mmm... what an ambition... Very well, I still want to talk, but seeing that you are making preparations to head home already, I will not hold you back anymore."

"Well, grimoires exist. Use them," Robin pointed out.

"Ah, yes. You're right. I'm afraid I will be too busy with my ordinary affairs to have a chat, but I will try."

Robin smiled and stood up, picked up her bag, and headed outside. But after only walking for a few steps, she stopped and turned back.

"Oh! One more thing..."

Sitri tilted her head, wondering what Robin has to say.

"Goir... Meteos told me the meaning of that word! You snake, you've been calling me a 'hatchling' this entire time!" she yelled at her indignantly.

Sitri blinked once, then twice, before a laugh escaped her.

"Pfft... ahahahaha! You just realized it now!? Took you long enough, Goir."

"Hmph! You've got to be kidding me! I seek retribution for this! Name a day and place for a spar, I'm going to destroy you for teasing me of my ignorance," Robin challenged.

"Wait until I get my hands on a Manadriver myself, and then it's on, how's that?"

"Fine, it will be more exciting that way. Until then, see you again, Gránna."

Robin uttered that last word with a smirk before disappearing into the hallway. Hearing that word caused the beautiful snake-woman to sweatdrop.

"'Ugly,' really, Flamberge?"


AIKON CORPORATION Research Data

RUNITE CHARGER

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6a6832552d4171315553775649413d3d2d313238303439333437372e313732313337613737326639393435663833343536363430303933342e706e67

The Runite Charger serves as the user’s primary spell launcher device and a weapon. When the user pushes the knuckle into another part of their body (typically the other hand) it activates the entire system, switching from ‘Save Mode’ to ‘Operational Mode.’

The Runite Charger consists of the following parts:

  • Power Grip – The Runite Charger’s grip. It to suctions itself onto the user’s palm to prevent it from falling off during movement. A round connection terminal part is located in the middle, loaded with the appropriate magic spell to create that effect.
  • Power Trigger – A trigger used to launch spells, greatly reducing the user’s strain on preparing and casting the spells. Built into the Power Grip.
  • Discharge Wing – The outer sections. They discharge any excessive power that might flow back into the Runite Charger during spell casting, preventing it from self-destructing.
  • Energy Stream – The lights the Runite Charger emits whenever it performs a function. A clear window on the Runite Charger allows people to see the energy within, informing them of the state of the Runite Charger.
  • Insulator Wall – The grey metal insulation parts which shield the Runite Charger’s inbuilt computer from excessive energy when a magic spell is released, also intended to protect the internal mechanisms when the Charger slams into an enemy or an object.
  • Analyse Eye – Two round units located at the front edge of the Runite Charger, used to adjust the launched spell’s focus.
  • Charge Terminal – Two black slots on the front edge of the Runite Charger, it allows the Charger to slide onto the Runite Redoublizer for storage and amplification. It also acts as a mana conductor, responsible for realizing the user’s desire and project an effect into the reality.
3