Chapter 71: To the World’s Defense Line
28 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

January 8, 1616 Central Calendar

Second Civilization Area

The sea region southeast of the Mu Continent is an expanse where ships traversing the route rounding the continent’s two southernmost capes will have to pass before entering the Minerva Ocean. In this area, exactly one week after the new Central Calendar year, three ships could be seen sailing on a southward journey. Ever since the day dawned, the sky over there was the color of pewter, with clouds scudding across the heavens like tattered sails. Braving the icy wind that whipped off their starboard bows, these three ships maintained a neat single-column formation, separated from each other by one cable length while trailing wakes like white ribbons that traced paths through the almost dark water.

The three ships, being identical in shape, belonged to the same class of metallic gray ships slightly over 100 meters in length. Seasoned sailors observing from a distance would have instantly categorized them as belonging to either the Muish or Milishial make. As one went closer, the absence of telltale plumes and smokestacks would narrow the possibility to the latter, but a final detail would shatter all those expectations: from the masts of each ship fluttered flags in a striking color that starkly contrasted the ships’ somber gray. It bore no resemblance to either cool-toned banners of the two aforementioned premier superpowers.

“What a dreary weather. Feels like the sky itself is mourning the end of the holiday season.”

Words came out from Gireis, the squadron commander on board the flagship Barthelma in front of the three-ship formation, adjusting his coat slightly and glancing at the sky through the enclosed bridge’s windows.

The ship’s captain responded, “Aye, Commander. Not the most welcoming sight for our voyage in these beauties, is it?”

“True, but at least some gunfire drills would help lift some of the monotony, wouldn’t you say?”

“Yes, sir. We’re looking forward to it.”

“Good. Let’s get better while we’re at it.”

Gireis was pleased with his men’s high spirits despite the bone-chilling climate and bleak scenery.

Gigantic naval vessels of their kind had been long the sole domain of the Kingdom of Mu and the Holy Milishial Empire in the known world as a testament to both their advanced technologies and shipbuilding capability. However, after almost a decade of arduous negotiations with the Holy Empire and a multitude of geopolitical considerations, overtures of a certain middle power from which Gireis and his unit belonged had finally prevailed. After no less than ten rejections, the Magicaraich Community managed to obtain these coveted ships to bring about a turning point to this country’s de facto navy, the Abteilung Seeverteidigung (MAS, “Maritime Defense Department”). Their dark red flag, with white and green stripes on the bottom and a depiction of a white hexagonal shield near the upper right corner, thus proudly flew on these new ships since their commissioning back in the spring of last year. This training voyage of the 1. Kreuzergeschwader (Cruiser Squadron 1) belonging to the 1. Verteidigungsflotte (Defense Fleet 1) is the fourth since acquiring the ships, where every maneuver and simulated attack honed the skills of the crew and tested the limits of their extraordinary vessels.

Traditionally, Magicaraich’s ships are armed to mainly protect against pirates roaming their part of the southern Mu trade route rather than taking on the fleet of another nation. However, the increasing capabilities of individual naval ships possessed by Magicaraich’s strained northern neighbor Mu pressured them of a necessity to modernize their own maritime defense capabilities as well. This naturally meant ramping up their own capabilities, but with the Holy Milishial Empire apparently and rather conveniently looking forward to expanding their exports at that exact time period, the approved 1610 Maritime Defense Modernization Act resulted in the purchase of five iron bamboo alloy-using hulls built by the Holy Empire for export purposes, three of which were already in commission with the MAS.

While the Holy Empire built the hull and engine, they did not provide weapons, and the Community subsequently armed them with their own weapons—six state-of-the-art 105 mm breech-loading Schnelladezauberkanonen L/40 (SZK, “rapid-fire magic cannons”) as main battery and seven available hand-cranked multi-barreled rapid-fire guns for air defense—and then commissioned the first three completed as the Barthelma-class protected cruisers BarthelmaHatebrand and Vicelinus, easily the largest and most formidable ships in their navy but something that even the small ship classes of the Milishian navy outclass in terms of size and technology used. The Holy Empire, wanting to develop the capabilities of its lesser shipbuilders, directed the construction of Magicaraich’s new ships to them while the powerhouses continued to roll out the most advanced ships the known world had ever seen.

Not thinking much about the fact that their country had ended up becoming a part of the Holy Milishial Empire’s experiments and what seemed to be a scheme to further whatever interest they might have, the crew of the 1. Kreuzergeschwader continued their voyage and finally reached the location to start their scheduled gunfire drills.

“Gunnery drills! Prepare for battle stations!”

Following the captain’s command, orders ricocheted across the ship like well-aimed arrows. Crew members scrambled to their stations with movements more precise and practiced in this drill compared to the last. Operated by its crews, the six single mounts of each ship’s main battery swiveled to the port side. Unlike all magic guns branded as “Spirit” magic cannons which imbue inert magic shells with mana within the cannon mechanism and their famous blue rainbows generated by the shell firing, the squadron’s SZK L/40 cannons look and work like early Muish naval guns, but fires shells laden with red magic stones capable of unleashing fire and explosion magic, usually effective against ships made of wood but will struggle to penetrate a metal ship’s armors. Hence, with their magic technology level not yet allowing them a high level of flexibility in playing around with mana, the Magicaraich Community has manufactured solid Panzerbrechende armor piercers although not as many as the Hochexplosive they commonly use.

Watching the two forward mounts visible from the bridge turning into position, Gireis and his staff waited for the report to come.

“Ready to fire!”

After that, it’s up to the conductor of this orchestra of fiery magic to signal the opening.

“Open fire!”

For the next hours, the BarthelmaHatebrand, and Vicelinus transformed into floating infernos, spitting fire from their guns with their crew aiming for an unprecedented high rate of fire for their standards.

While the drills continued to push the crews and their vessels, a certain ‘flying bahamut’ was leisurely cruising in the sky far to the north of their position, making its approach to land at a certain harbor near the southernmost point.


January 9, 1616 Central Calendar, 07:30

Mir, Magicaraich Community

Close to the country’s capital Avest in the southernmost regions of the Second Civilization Area is a port city named Mir, situated on the estuary of a river that empties into a gulf that the Magicaraich Community shared with its western neighbor, the Nigrat Union. The city center lies further upstream, in the very north of the city, with most of the inhabitants living on the eastern side of the river; the area west is dominated by the port, industrial estates, and a forested region. The city’s coastline on both sides of the river mouth is relatively undeveloped with long sandy beaches prevailing. Despite its historical connection to a trade route linking the prosperous east with distant western realms, the jarringly low civilization level of the latter and sporadic pirate raids, along with Leifor’s domination and the thriving northern trade route let by the more technologically advanced Mu, divert both traffic and resources away from Magicaraich. Consequently, its cities such as Mir primarily engage in the less profitable trade of raw materials with the west.

Yesterday evening, Adonis Roguerider, the 19-year-old manager of a certain division within the Milishian conglomerate Roguerider Foundation, arrived at this city accompanied by his fiancée Adel Legendorga on a business trip to Avest located further inland. The appearance of a colossal flying boat from the Central World sent ripples through Mir, a city accustomed to the lumbering pace of sailboats and sometimes early paddle-wheeled magic ships. As the brightly painted behemoth slowly descended from the grayish sky to settle into the harbor on that cold and snowy day, attention was immediately drawn from the dockworkers and nearby citizens at its appearance, anachronistic when compared to the cityscape.

The next day when the city is still waking up from the night’s slumber, Adonis led Adel out of the lobby of a certain hotel where they were staying in Mir’s city center to be greeted by the freezing air that nipped at their cheeks while the morning sun that day was a pale disk in the heavily clouded sky.

After fixing the fur cap she was wearing, the golden-haired beauty bundled herself deeper into her thick maroon coat. “Ah… Adonis. Why do we have to go out so early in the morning?”

“It’s just because of the weather, the time is already past seven,” Adonis pointed out. Both of their breaths formed small puffs in the frosty air.

Adel pouted. “Past seven or not, it’s barely light, and look at this weather! It’s like someone dumped a giant bucket of snow on the entire city.” She lightly kicked at a snowdrift, sending a spray of white crystals shimmering in the pale light.

“You can stay inside if you’d like. I understand if you prefer the warmth inside.”

Adel, however, shook her head with a playful smile. “Uh, huh, that’s nonsense. I didn’t come all the way to Mir to sit in a cozy hotel room alone.”

“As you wish, then,” Adonis raised an eyebrow but cracked a small, almost imperceptible smile.

With Adel trying to keep up with Adonis’ brisk pace, they navigated the streets for a while until they found a passing carriage. The bearded driver, bundled up in layers of thick clothing like them, pulled the reins to a stop upon noticing Adonis hailing him.

“We need a carriage to the southern district on the western bank,” Adonis announced.

“The shipyard, eh?” the driver chuckled, rubbing his gloved hands together. “That’s quite a trek in this weather, young sir. But I’m your man. Hop in, I’ll get you there in no time.”

The carriage, though sturdy and well-maintained, made the mundane cars back home feel like luxurious vehicles. Still, it offered some respite from the biting wind, and Adel snuggled closer to him, her warmth a welcome counterpoint to the chill that felt somehow better than the magic-induced warmth that Adonis could cast on himself.

As the two occupants chatted while the carriage trundled westward, the cityscape gave way to sprawling industrial estates with chimneys spewing plumes of smoke into the leaden sky popping out in some places. Those cylindrical structures commonly associated with the Muish in this world could also be found in this country, which is a civilization that relied on a blend of magical and non-magical technologies as a shortcut to compensate for what the current Magicaraich lacks in each other’s technology. Consequently, Magicaraich gained recognition as a land where clever hybrids were made, showcasing an advanced level beyond the established standards of the civilized countries and distinct from the two leading superpowers.

Whether the balance between the two halves leans on which side differs on each person’s opinion, but the developments in the last decade seemed to made this country gradually become more Central World-leaning. Magicaraich’s necessity to ramp up its capabilities within the limits of what technology it could access was borne out of the restrictions imposed by the two leading superpowers that limited the outflow of their advanced technology to other countries. But as the Holy Milishial Empire advanced, the second-ranked superpower Mu to their north felt immensely threatened and proceeded to try to keep up with their greatest rival. And in turn, the Magicaraich Community which openly supported the losing Anfang Republic that tried to secede from Mu during the Civil War felt fear as their strained relationship with them never healed and they were uncertain about what direction Mu’s often tumultuous political landscape will bring their country in the future.

But at the same time the Milishian economy seemed to be viciously sweeping its competition, they became more open to relaxing export restrictions to their closest allies. Being a sufficiently advanced civilized country friendly to the Holy Empire, Magicaraich’s overtures and arrangements made by the recent decade finally bore fruit and by exporting resources to the Holy Empire, they succeeded in obtaining various capabilities from the Holy Empire that, although outdated, could be considered revolutionary for them. Among them is the 1610 Maritime Defense Modernization Act, which approved an order for 2 coastal defense ships, 1 armored cruiser, 5 protected cruisers, and 10 small ships built by the Holy Empire’s shipbuilding companies for the MAS. The Barthelma-class was part of the first batch which will see completion of delivery in mid-1616, while the rest of the ships still under construction will be delivered by the end of the year.

In the present day, not content by simply buying foreign ships made with outdated technology, an ambition simmered within the Magicaraich Community to develop its domestic shipbuilding capabilities—an ambition unknowingly stoked from layers underneath the surface by the Roguerider Foundation, which several years ago used their connections within this country to buy a certain shipbuilding company in Mir. Although officially the AG Ingenieurbüro für Schiffbau Mir (IBSM, “Mir Engineer-Office for Shipbuilding) is now owned by a local successful businessman renowned for shrewd investments and a profound market understanding over the past decade to accumulate immense wealth, this individual is part of the Foundation’s clandestine network. The real controller of this company now resides in the San Redentore District of Runepolis.

Sometimes, the Foundation’s interests align with the Holy Milishial Empire’s Order of the Ancients. But while the Order prioritized the country’s interests first and foremost, the more proactive Foundation typically advanced beyond the Holy Empire’s policies and used their surroundings as a front to pave the way to the original vision harbored by the reincarnator of Ars Goetia, Meteos Roguerider: to establish the so-called “world’s defensive line” against the threat of the Enemy of All Races in a world that doesn’t need any more Civilization Annihilation Game’s victims devastating their home. Playing by the rules and keeping the setting mostly intact, the Four Horsemen mainly worked to expand the scope, wanting to see if this can bring him happiness, to see if the reincarnator’s selfishness can truly loop back into selflessness, changing hatred for the unknown into love for this world.

This time, Adonis wasn’t just deciding to be a random early riser. With him arriving three days before his scheduled business trip to Avest to officially inspect the expanded branch office of the Foundation’s Danu Appliance, he had chosen this quiet morning for an abrupt visit to the refurbished IBSM shipyard and its office. He had reasons for seeking the cloak of dawn.

“Here we are, young folks! Be careful not to trip on the ice, there’s been quite a bit of snow lately!”

The carriage soon rattled and whined as it finally lumbered to a stop at a corner near their destination’s location. With a sigh of relief, Adonis stepped out, followed closely by Adel. The silver-haired man reached into his pocket and generously tipped the jovial driver, but before walking away, he casually motioned to the cold air and said, “Treat your friends, or buy something nice for your family. It seems that Helheim is leaking to the world or something today.”

“Huh!? This much money…! A-are you sure, young one?”

“…Did I stutter, sir?”

The driver, still blinking in surprise at the hefty wad of bills in his hand, chuckled. “Well—ahaha! If the weather keeps throwing these wintry tantrums, young one, you can be sure I won’t forget who saved me from frostbite today! And if you ever need a ride again, you just holler for ol’ Adolf! Hahaha!”

Adonis nodded and returned the smile, tucking his own hands deeper into his coat pockets. “I’ll remember you, Herr Adolf. Have a nice day.”

With a final wave, the driver urged his horses forward. As he disappeared into the labyrinthine streets of the port district, the driver can no longer remember either Adonis or Adel’s face, with only a vague recollection of a fare on a cold, quiet morning. It was a time-delayed magic intended to erase any memory of the couple’s faces or the details of their visit once the driver was some distance away from Adonis. He wanted discretion, but he’s not that secretive either since the Fourth Horseman is completely in control of the situation.

“………”

Adonis didn’t spare any more glance at the now empty street before he ushered Adel to walk in the IBSM office’s direction.

I am Helheim.”

When he got home, the carriage driver Adolf did bought something nice for his wife and three children. This is not the end of his brush with the Foundation, although he didn’t know it.

…………

AG Ingenieurbüro für Schiffbau Mir Main Office

The IBSM’s main office is situated just one block away from its new building berth designated as Dockhalle 1 where its towering gantry crane can still be seen from the two-storied building. There is also a large dry dock nearby that was constructed after the Foundation’s secret takeover of the company. After demolishing the existing one, a large sum of investment was poured into the project, resulting in a building basin more than twice of its original size, boasting dimensions of 200 meters in length, 37 meters in width, and a depth of 9 meters. This enlargement brings it closer in scale to the dockyards commonly seen in the two premier superpowers, and under favorable conditions in Magicaraich, it becomes feasible to domestically manufacture something like an ironclad armed with turrets or an ocean liner within this facility.

With their arrival being an unusually uninteresting sight and largely ignored by the staff inside, Adonis and Adel were ushered into a richly furnished office by the receptionist after the former obviously used his privileges to circumvent the need to make an appointment with the president to their convenience. If anything, the president is hurrying to meet them from his home right now, although Adonis did convey a message for him to take it easy.

“Our visit will be a brief one, but take a seat.”

Settling into a couch inside the empty office and seeing Adonis wandering inside the office as if it were his own, Adel called out to her fiancé. “Hum… Is this really how people like you pull the strings of the world from the shadows?”

“There’s no need for theatrics when it’s not needed. Those are usually the Order of the Ancients’ thing,” Adonis replied.

“I see.”

Adel’s fingers traced the smooth leather of the armchair in contemplation. Induction into the Foundation’s network by her beloved’s family had been a whirlwind for the blonde beauty, tilting her world sideways by the revelation of a clandestine organization steering the society from the shadows. The existence of the Order of the Ancients as Emperor Milishial VIII’s silent sentinels and its implications was almost too much for her to process even after working closely with them for half a year.

“The Order…” Adel continued in her musings. “I suppose you could say they did their jobs as intended. Protecting their own and keeping things safe, even if it means bending the rules sometimes.”

“Yes. But their focus is inward. They see the world through the lens of the Holy Empire’s needs. Although our interests sometimes align, the Order’s narrow tendency sometimes causes them to lag behind.”

Adel tilted her head curiously. “Is it their lens that is too narrow or is it your family’s vision that is too broad?”

“Only half a year ago I realized that my youngest brother carried a burden so great on his shoulders for who knows how long,” Adonis remarked, playing his role.

“Hmm… No wonder he’s so driven in his studies, there’s a bad future he wanted to avoid.”

“For his sake, this world must be better.”

Adel’s response, soft but laced with a knowing smile, broke through the stillness that came with his declaration. “Despite the air you like to project, Adonis, the way you talk about your brother shows that you really care for him, huh?”

“Hm.”

After a comfortable silence that followed, the office door swung open with a soft click, and the man that the couple wanted to see finally appeared. In entered a man who, despite his mid-40s, moved with the purposeful stride of someone half his age. His maroon tailored suit, impeccably pressed and polished despite his supposedly urgent visit, spoke volumes about his success in Magicaraich’s business world. To this man, Adonis and the Foundation that he represented were the most important benefactors that allowed him to rise to his current position.

And thus, when his gaze landed on Adonis, a flicker of respect replaced the initial surprise on his face. “Ah, welcome to my office, Young Master,” he greeted with a slight bow. “Please forgive my tardiness.”

He gestured towards the chairs, his eyes briefly glancing toward Adel before settling back on the young man. “Do I have the pleasure of meeting the lady accompanying you?”

Adonis paused from his exploration of the office and nodded. “Adel, this is Franz Früchtenicht, the president of IBSM. Herr Früchtenicht, this is my fiancée, Adel Legendorga of the House Legendorga of Runepolis. She’s Lord Victor’s niece.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mister President,” Adel gracefully inclined her head, giving enough courtesy to mask her embarrassment in not being capable of correctly pronouncing the man’s name.

“Ah! The relative of the world’s most prominent telecommunications empire! The pleasure is all mine, Milady.”

The president gestured towards the chairs again. "Actually, I noticed the flying boat yesterday, but I must say, this is such a pleasant surprise! I wasn’t expecting you to come here so early. Young Master, now that I’m here, please have a seat. To what do we owe this unexpected honor?”

“You can say that we’re just being polite,” Adonis nodded languidly before settling into his seat next to Adel. “I thought might as well stop by before leaving for Avest.”

“Ah.”

“But I also come bringing something. As a token of our continued enthusiasm for your potential, we at the Foundation have prepared a little something extra as an incentive for your company.”

“…Incentive?”

Eyeing the president’s raised eyebrows, Adonis settled further into his seat and adjusted his cufflinks.

“Indeed,” he confirmed. “For your use, we’ve compiled a collection of materials to the best of our ability for you, ship designs and technical specifications among others. Study those. Furthermore, along with some of our personnel, I intend to spread the good word about your company during my visit to Avest. I wouldn’t be surprised if you find it easier to attract skilled individuals looking for a job after that. This we believe will serve as a significant boost to you, yes?”

The president’s expression transformed into one of profound gratitude. “Your generosity astounds me, Young Master…! Imagine the possibilities that we can open… This… this truly a gift beyond measure… Surely there’s something I can do to repay this favor?”

“I’ll tell you if I need something,” Adonis replied with a dismissive shrug. “But your good work here is enough. You know the rules, right?”

“O-of course… After everything you’ve done, I wouldn’t dare…”

“Hm.”

Adonis rose from his seat, signaling the end of their brief meeting. “The materials will be delivered by my flying boat crew after I depart for Avest. Make good use of them.”

With a final nod towards Adel, who was watching the exchange, the young man bid farewell to the older man and strode out, exiting the office to leave the president who wondered what to make of all his good fortune in recent years.

…………

“Huh.”

“What?”

Finding themselves back outside and walking to find another carriage, Adel let out a surprised huff as they exited the IBSM office as soon as they entered, the entire meeting for her lasted in what felt like a mere blink. “That was… quick,” she finally managed a coherent sentence.

Adonis cast her a dry glance. “Get used to it. Did you expect a five-hour boardroom presentation? The planting was already done years ago, what we’re doing is just spreading some fertilizer.”

“Well…”

“You’re thinking that I’m going to micromanage everything, don’t you?” her fiancé raised an eyebrow.

Adel pouted and crossed her arms. “Hmf… I guess… but it feels weird, you know? Like we dropped a bomb and walked away without seeing the explosion.”

“It is what it is. Besides, that is basically what we’re going to do for the next two weeks in Avest.”

In response, Adel puffed her cheeks with a retort forming on her lips. But before she could utter a word, Adonis’ comment cut through the air.

“Don’t do that. You look ugly.”

His words, though delivered flatly, landed with a surprising impact. Adel’s playful demeanor faltered, replaced by a mock indignation. “Adonis!” she exclaimed. “How could you say that?”

They continued their walk with Adel’s playful indignation momentarily forgotten. Their path led them past a tavern nestled between the brick buildings that they passed on the way to the IBSM office. Now that they were not in a rushing carriage, its wooden sign creaking in the wind and the warm glow of its interior felt like beckoning them to enter.

“Hmm,” Adel remarked at that sight. “I hear Magicaraich is famous for its spiced mead. A shame we can’t try any.”

“Don’t even think about it. As far as our people are concerned, we’re still underage for drinking.”

Adel teased. “But we’re not in Milishial anymore, are we? Surely they have different laws here.”

“A shame. My dear betrothed is going to be tempted and join the ranks of such retardation. You’re a noblewoman with a reputation. People are going to revile me for ‘corrupting’ you while we’re away. Just months away from our marriage, no less.”

“Oh, hush you!” Adel giggled. “But alright, alright, I jest. Besides, who says being a noblewoman means I can’t enjoy a little adventure?”

“If you want, let’s take a proper tour of the city center. Perhaps there’s something there that might tickle your fancy.”

Adel’s face lit up at the suggestion. “I’d love that! Lead the way, love.”

For the next few hours, the couple wandered through the places in Mir’s city center before returning to the hotel that evening. Their time together spent before Adonis resumed the Foundation’s maneuvering in the heart of Magicaraich Community became an unforgettable moment for the young Legendorga.


January 16, 1616 Central Calendar, 22:00

Runepolis, Holy Milishial Empire

Roguerider Family Residence, San Redentore District

Staring at the timetable attached to a whiteboard inside his bedroom, Meteos contemplated the upcoming events in which he and his siblings would partake as members of the Ancient Ministry. Tracing his finger across the neatly scribed timetable, he occasionally let out hums of anticipation at this month’s schedule alone. On the land side, today it was announced that the Pattern 15 Bizorm will be entering service with the Imperial Army.

Just ten days ago, the skeletal frame of the third Gold-class magic battleship, the Glamdring, had begun to take shape at one of the Academy Yards’ massive facilities. Nine days later, the fourth ship Orcrist would grace the empty space next to her and her other sisters, the first ship Callandor and the second ship Andúril, to complete the first quartet of the Golds assigned to the RMA to build as part of the two-decade-long Naval Programme’s second phase. Two days after the 25th, Project OWL’s first magic aviation mothership Orphan Wolf Legend would be launched from the same shipyard. Following outfitting, she was slated to be commissioned in mid-1616 as a training carrier with a mixed crew drawn from both the MOASEC and the Imperial Navy. The plan then outlined the ship’s transition to a combat role much later when the MOASEC fully handed over the carrier to the Imperial Navy.

The “strongest navy in the known world,” except that title felt hollow. It will take a while for the Holy Empire to really earn that status, that’s a bitter truth. While progress was undeniable, the Holy Milishial Empire still trailed behind the Annonrial Empire in technological prowess. Their sleek, impossibly overpowered warships and air force for this world’s standards will continue to be a grim reminder of the gap they still had to close. On the bright side, the personnel who saw the Rogueriders in their work were said to be more proficient in their work, as if something sparked in them to be more hardworking. Good for them, then.

Yet, there was solace in the next achievable objective: “parity with the Gra Valkas Empire and/or equivalent civilizations.

Parity. Not yet dominance, not even superiority, but a leveling of the field in a head-on clash. For example in individual capability-wise, the Golds and their successor Mithrils in this timeline roughly sit on the same level as Meteos’ projected enemy for them: the behemoth of a battleship Grade Atlastar, while their air force’s magic jets will simply swat the enemy like flies from the sky. However, the GVE started their part of the Civilization Annihilation Game by churning out ships and aircraft at an alarming rate. At this juncture, the situations of their surroundings did cause the HME and GVE to choose differing priorities in production.

“Eventually, this ‘wall’ that is the world’s defensive line plan should also be converted into a ‘bridge’ for this world to be better,” Meteos sighed at the end of his observation, turning to the three siblings who came to his bedroom that night.

Two, actually, because Adonis who sat at the edge of the bed is a hologram produced by Meteos’ X-Deviser. His eldest brother was currently in Avest, inspecting the local branch of the Foundation’s subsidiary company and approaching their Magicaraich network especially those who held positions within the government and business world. Using the G4 Manadriver technology to evolve the Astral Projection Magic, owners can now use them to conduct long-distance communications beyond voices and texts.

Bridge, huh? Tell me about Mu, Meteos. How will you handle them?

The boy in question looked up and grimaced. This anomaly of their world is the sole civilization untouched by the ability to do magic. They were a technological marvel on their own, certainly, but their lack of what Ars Goetians have made them vulnerable. Any move the Holy Milishial Empire made to pursue their capability to resist against the Enemy of All Races, would inevitably come at Mu’s expense as the effect of that move made ripples in this world.

“That’s an absurdly complicated matter—honestly, that’s the mastodon in the room nobody wants to talk about.” He ran a hand through his silver hair, holding back frustration. “I’m good at tinkering with engines and making magical alloys sing, but the nature of your question is not my forte. What do you want me to do…?”

Fine, then. We’ll see what we can do on our end, but this is also a problem that you also need to think about.

Meteos nodded slowly. The situation in Mu of this era is not really good, especially in the regions of the former Anfang Republic. In the Second Timeline, he might have opted to ignore their problem, but now the least he could do is to hope that the ripple effect of the world will not fuel the ethnic tensions there to devolve into something like the actively enforced segregation that he encountered in his travels of Ars Goetia.

“One more matter…” he muttered and turned to Ace. “When you planted the souls of my younger siblings into my mother when we were still in the Second Timeline… do you also set the due date?”

Ace sighed. “…Yeah. It’s on the 28th.”

In response, Ashera next to him loudly slapped her thigh. “Ah, shit, that’s just one day after Project OWL!”

“Then, I will do this,” Meteos interrupted. “Finish attending the launch on the 27th, then take a flight to Leiden. Are you okay with that?”

“What do you mean, ‘Are you okay.’ ‘Course we do,” Ashera raised an eyebrow. It was a weird question.

“Right. It’s settled then, we’ll all be there. Even if it’s just for a day.”

A chorus of assent echoed through the room.


Currently Publicly Available Information

MAGICARAICH COMMUNITY

A country located in the known world and belongs to the Second Civilization Area. Its official name is Magicaraich Alliance of Academic Institutions (Hochschulbund Magikaraich). Located at the southeastern portion of the continental landmass, a large portion of its northern borders is with the Sonal Kingdom, while the rest borders the Kingdom of Mu. It is also bordered by the Nigrat Union to the west.

Magicaraich has a rare system of governance. It is described as a collection of states, each one has its own government which doesn’t have any jurisdiction with one another. However, they are represented by the Dean of the Alliance and its council which is represented by each academic head. This presence caused Magicaraich to be recognized by other countries as a nation.

By blending the technological advancements obtained from Mu with magical technology, they have developed a hybrid of mechanical and magical technology, surpassing the technological capabilities of some major powers in the known world. Therefore, they are considered a de facto semi-major power.

A large number of Magicaraich’s ethnic groups live in the southern Muish region. In 1574, they formed the ‘Anfang Republic’ and declared independence from Mu. In the ensuing civil war that lasted from 1574 to 1582, the Magicaraich Community provided support to the secessionist forces, which led to a strained future relationship with Mu after the Anfang Republic’s rebellion was defeated.

2