Chapter IV
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Some time later, Marus rose from the soft carpet of moss and last year's leaves and awkwardly pulled on his linen pants. While doing so, he glanced at the half-naked Ayte, who was watching him with a satisfied smile.

- Where are you in such a hurry? - She asked, sitting down on the moss and grabbing his wrist. - Didn't you feel good? Stay with me a little longer.

- We've been gone too long. - He answered a little frightened, lightly shaking her hand. - Our parents might start to suspect something.

- We're at the right age now. These things happen. - she replied, unmoved. - Your father will understand. It's about time you had a wife.

Hearing this, Marus sobered instantly and began to think about the consequences of his actions. He liked Ayte, it was true, but he did not know if he liked her enough to make her his wife. He realized that she had deliberately taken advantage of his intoxicated state to approach and ensnare him.

- I'm not promising anything. - he said in a slightly cooler voice. He threw on his shirt and grabbed his gray robe and belt, lying on the ground. - It will be better if we return separately to the ceremony. We'll talk later.

- Good. - Ayte answered sourly, but she knew that she was already very close to her goal and she shouldn't push it now. - We'll talk when you're ready for it.

***

Marus stealthily returned to the priest's house and mingled with the celebrating crowd. The party was in full swing and most of the beer barrels had already been emptied. Some also enjoyed the stronger mead that had been brought in clay pots. All around, laughter echoed and games were being played. Much of the food had already disappeared from the tables. Marus returned to his seat and put on some fat cottage cheese mixed with cream, egg and honey.

- I finally found you! - came his father's voice from behind him. - I thought you were lost somewhere. I was getting worried about you. Where have you been?

- I needed to sober up a bit, Father. - Marus said evasively, getting up from the table. - I drank too much, but don't worry, I'm better now.

The blacksmith who had accompanied his father laughed tubically and patted him on the shoulder.

- Let youth run wild, Lutho. Youth has different rules. The god Patrimpus is watching over him now. Some things are beyond our control.

Marus' father sighed resignedly, understanding Arwist's words perfectly. Each of them had once been young and done foolish things. After a moment, he looked at his son with fatherly love.

- You have finally come of age and become a man. - He said solemnly and grabbed Marus by both shoulders - The time has come for me to treat you as an equal. Therefore, I have a gift for you that will remind you of all this and give you a proper status in our community.

Lutho turned his face towards the blacksmith and nodded discreetly, and the blacksmith handed him a bundle wrapped in cloth. Marus' father handed it to him after a moment and smiled slightly. He looked at it with undisguised pride.

- What is it, father? - Marus asked curiously.

- See for yourself and find out. - he replied.

Marus untied the cord, unwound the cloth, and was stunned. In front of his eyes there was a single-edged sword slightly longer than his forearm, a hatchet with a blade tied with a cord to a curved handle, a knife and an elongated piece of metal flint with a stone. A leather shoulder strap with a metal buckle completed the entire set.

- Do you like it? - asked his father with a smile - It's all yours.

Marus grabbed the hilt of the sword and lifted it up. Its weight did not bother him at all. He cut through the air with the blade several times with ease. The blade reflected the light of the bonfire that was already lit by the priest's hut.

- Wonderful," he said with appreciation and undying admiration.

- I can take credit for that, too. - said the blacksmith immodestly. - I made it for you myself, as well as the knife and the axe. The rest come from the peoples of the far south, your father bought them especially for you.

- Thank you, Father. - Marus finally said, deeply moved. - I do not know what to say.

- Don't say anything, son - answered Lutho with a shrug, putting his arm around him. - Let's drink some more mead. There should still be a full pot here somewhere...

***

The next few days went by faster than anyone could have expected. Spring meant working on the land and with the animals. No one had time for themselves. Work went on from the morning hours until the very evening. Marus now spent most of his time in the fields, driving a wooden ard. The sharpened share was partially sunk into the ground, loosening the soil where the sowing was to take place. The ard was pulled by an ox that was tied to a cross pole. Marus was assisted by a young boy from the village who led the animal by the rope, walking in front.

In the meantime, the world has greened up thanks to the rains and sunshine. Life returned to the forests again. It was also getting warmer every day, heralding the approach of summer.

Marus tried to avoid Ayte for a while, as if that would somehow make her forget what had happened between them. She did not give up, however, and eventually caught him alone as he was returning from the field.

- Marus, we haven't seen each other since that feast... - she started a bit shyly with blushed cheeks. - I was afraid that you had already forgotten about me.

- I haven't forgotten," Marus replied and sighed. - I'm sorry, but I just don't know if I feel and want the same things as you. I don't think I'm ready for marriage yet.

Tears suddenly came to Ayte's eyes as she realized that Marus wanted to deny her.

- You are stupid! - she shouted angrily and punched him in the arm - How can you do that! You were my first!

She hid her face in her hands and sobbed. After a moment, she turned and ran towards the village through the tall grass.

Marus looked behind her guiltily. This was difficult for him, and he had never felt as bad as he did now. But he had a feeling that he would do her greater harm by agreeing to their marriage.

He returned to the cottage and found his father there sitting behind a table contemplating a clay bowl.

- How was work today? - His father asked when he saw him.

- The field has been prepared for sowing. - Marus answered briefly and sat down heavily on his stool. He was in no mood to talk. Marus sat down on a stool and sat down hard. Lutho looked intently at his son.

- What do you think of Ayte? - He asked suddenly. - She is a nice girl. She's been asking about you a lot lately.

- I don't know. - He answered honestly.

- If you want, I'll send a blacksmith as a matchmaker. - He said seriously. - However, I am not pressuring you, it should be your decision. Think it over carefully. Besides, I would like you to take a break tomorrow to go horseback riding. It will do you good, and our young horse needs to be ridden. I will take care of the farm during that time.

Marus nodded in agreement and went to his side of the hut. He lay on the mattress for a long time, thinking, but finally exhaustion overcame him, and he fell asleep.

2