CHAPTER 41: REMINISCE BEFORE THE JUDGMENT
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A week after the events in Nebula it was time for Zoran Lawell to pay a hospital visit. But this wasn’t just any visit as Saya and Hikaru, the ones in the worst condition after the battle, were getting discharged then with everyone who fought by their side having come to pick them up to go together from the hospital to the courthouse.

The only ones who were going to be on trial were the five Summerbolts along with Yuki, Seiren and Zoran, but the others had all been called as witnesses, hence the reason for all of them gathering at the present time. Mr. Lawell came to the hospital with a delay as he need for first pick up the lawyer who was going to defend the group, that man standing beside him as he entered the building. The lawyer looked a bit older than the headmaster, had shiny blond hair with a very stylish hairstyle, olive green eyes and skin with just about the same tone as Zoran’s.

Upon stepping inside the hospital’s lobby that had walls painted in light blue with dark yellow lines passing through the middle and an overabundance of potted plants of all kinds, the first thing they noticed was the chaos at the reception desk. And as expected, the ones causing all the chaos were precisely the people Zoran and the lawyer had come to pick up with Hikaru and Seiren being in the center of the conflict.

(Seiren) ‘-Now that you’re healed, I’m free to get my revenge on you, Summerbolt!!!’

(Hikaru) ‘-Really?! Are you that eager to get back in a hospital bed yourself? I’ll beat you worse than Gorudora did, just so you know!!’

(Seiren) ‘-That’s fine with me! I’ll even risk going to hell if I can rid the world of you!!!’

Looking at Hikaru up close, he still bore some burn scars from overusing his deva, the same being valid for Saya who was pulling her son away from his rival, but her state was even worse. Mrs. Summerbolt’s hair had now become predominantly gray and it seemed to Zoran she had rapidly aged with a couple of years, this change only making her look her actual age, of course, but it was still very shocking.

The rest of the Summerbolts and the Earthlings were not fully healed as well, having bandages wrapped around parts of their bodies while others were covered with plasters, but they appeared to be feeling well enough. They were definitely healed enough for Saya’s family to contain the destruction she was trying to unleash while restraining her son, the Earthlings doing the same with Yuki who was pulling Seiren away from Hikaru.

(Saya) ‘-Will you at least tell me why you want to kill my son so badly this time?!!’

Seiren pointed a finger at Yuki, looking more outraged than ever.

(Seiren) ‘-Because of her!!’

(Yuki) ‘-Me?’

Miss Iceflame was about the only one who seemed baffled by this revelation, the hydra master’s answer coming as little surprise to the hot heads of different ages around them.

(Seiren) ‘-Although I was already beaten at that point, I saw what Hikaru did to you very clearly! And I’ll never forget it!!!’

(Yuki) ‘-Is this about the two of us using a combined attack to finish off Ukris? You were knocked out, so I couldn’t really use an attack like that with you, could I?’

(Seiren) ‘-THAT’S NOT IT, DAMN IT!!! (the enraged gaze on his red face singled out his rival now, who also seemed confused) He transformed himself into the lightning cloak that was wrapped around the original during the final stage of your attack! Since that cloak was wrapped around you, it was no different than he himself touching your whole body!!! (his wrath reached its literal boiling point as his whole body burst in vermilion fireworks) The punishment for such a crime is death and the duty to carry out the sentence is mine and no one else’s!!!’

(Hikaru) ‘-You sick bastard!! Turning myself into something Ukris wouldn’t recognize as a threat while staying close to her was the best way to finish her off!! If you’re too stupid to see that, there’s truly no hope for you at all!!!’

(Seiren) ‘-It’s not about how it was done! It’s about who did it!! (he swung his explosive fist at Saya’s son) I’LL NEVER ALLOW A LOWLIFE LIKE YOU TO PUT HIS HANDS ON MY PRECIOUS BABY DOLL!!!!’

Zoran used a blast of his phoenix flames to separate the two then, stepping in between the groups that had gathered around the rivals along with the lawyer.

(Zoran) ‘-Could you please contain that anger at least for the moment, Seiren? (everyone quieted down as they looked at the newly arrived duo) We’re on our way to court to stand trial and I don’t need further charges to be added for anyone here before that. (Seiren became the focus of Zoran’s attention now) Plus, fully cladding yourself in your deva for too long will go beyond the 15% output your chip allows you to use and will indeed put you back in a hospital bed. Don’t forget you’re not in a Class Battle anymore.’

(Vega) ‘-Well, I’d say a hospital bed is preferable to a prison cell, so maybe you should join this brawl rather than break it up, headmaster. If all you guys go overboard with your powers, you’ll be in such bad shape that they won’t be able to arrest you for a while longer.’

After hearing Vega’s proposal, the Summerbolts seemed to be entertaining the idea of going all-out again, the hospital personnel around them being petrified by the very possibility that such a thing could happen. Who knows what kind of tortures they had had to go through while caring for so many monsters prone to outbursts, Zoran thought.

(The lawyer) ‘-Do not worry, ladies and gentlemen. None of you are going to prison, I can assure you of that. (he motioned toward the exit with a small polite smile) Now if you have concluded your business here, please, follow me.’

Shortly after the whole group left the hospital building, Sunbird’s headmaster looked at Seiren again, noticing his suspicious gaze was focused on the lawyer.

(Seiren) ‘-So this guy’s supposed to be defending us? Where’d you dig him up, Mr. Lawell?’

The lawyer seemed highly irritated by that comment as he turned to look at the young Blackscale.

(The lawyer) ‘-You ought to have more faith in your father, boy.’

That sentence put the whole group to a stop as Zoran couldn’t help but smile studying their reactions, his companion’s face now looking just as pleased as his own.

(Zoran) ‘-There you have it, Serego. If your own son couldn’t recognize you, we’ve done our job well.’

(King) ‘-I think I’ve really lost some brain cells while recuperating after the battle. This guy … you’re saying he’s Seiren’s dad?!! (the muscle-bound glutton’s face was overtaken by surprise and confusion) He looks nothing like him! He doesn’t even sound like him!!’

(Serego) ‘-Well, that was the whole point, King. I’m the best lawyer for trials like the one you’ll be a part of and I wanted to do everything in my power to help my son, but due to my connection to one of the defendants, they wouldn’t just let me defend this group.’

(Zoran) ‘-So I asked Sunbird’s beloved nurse and deputy headmaster, Miss Neana Ilre, to use her restructuring deva on Serego and completely alter his appearance, his voice and so on. I myself provided credentials for him, so it will all seem a 100% legit in front of the jury and the judge.’

(Exo) ‘-Is that why the law … Mr. Blackscale said no one’s going to prison? Because we’ll be cheating during the trial?’

(Tokura) ‘-The hell with you, Ex! What’s cheating is putting Yuki, Seiren and the Summerbolts on trial in the first place as they’ve done nothing wrong! If Mr. Blackscale’s intervention will help clear their name, I’m all for it!!’

Zoran noticed Tokura didn’t mention his name in the group of wrongfully accused people, wondering if the student along with the others thought he is actually guilty. Breaking in the Nightsong mansion with force to find out their secrets on the day of the Class Battle and then intervening in that Class Battle was a crime of course, but the headmaster still hoped Seiren’s father could save him from the worst sentence.

(Graid) ‘-Alright, then, Serego, old boy, we’re counting on you to save our asses.’

Serego and the Summerbolts smiled at each other after Graid said that as they were crossing the street.

(Serego) ‘-I’ve saved your asses before, Graid, haven’t I? Have no doubt I’ll do it again this time around.’

As Serego started chatting with the rest of the family while being questioned by his son about his current appearance, Zoran moved closer to Saya and Hikaru, still trying to come to terms with Mrs. Summerbolt’s new look.

(Zoran) ‘-I know everyone else is going to be fine, Saya, but what about you two? What were the results of the final check-up?’

The mother and son looked at each other, both of them sighing and then looking away.

(Saya) ‘-Well, I was told I can never again use Merutera’s Bloodless Covenant, nor go beyond a 100% output. If I do, my body will not be able to handle the stress and I’ll die. Also, my lifespan has been shortened and I will now age like normal people as the special aging inherited from my mother has been stripped from me due to abusing my deva. Seems this last battle altered the very nature of my body.’

The headmaster feared he would hear bad news, but this was still a bit too much to take, trying to hide how broken he was by this revelation to not sadden Hikaru further. The boy had been through enough already growing up without a father and now he had learned his time with his mother was going to be shorter than expected, so the last thing he needed to see was how sad others felt for the same reason.

(Zoran) ‘-Shortened … with how much exactly?’

(Saya) ‘-Depends on how much I abuse my abilities from now on, really. But the important thing is I’ll live and will still be of some use to my family.’

(Zoran) ‘-Right. And Hikaru?’

(Hikaru) ‘-I’m also not to go beyond a 100% again or my lifespan will be shortened like my mom’s. And since this was my first time of going overboard to such an extent, I’m not to use my deva at all for at least two weeks.’

Seiren heard that as he had just finished interrogating his father, interrupting Zoran’s conversation with the two Summerbolts.

(Seiren) ‘-Well that’s just crap!! How are we supposed to settle our score about Yuki, then?! I can’t wait two weeks to kill you!!!’

(Yuki) ‘-Seiren! Now’s not the time for such things!!’

Yuki snapping at Seiren seemed to calm him down a bit, but then he assumed an overly thoughtful appearance – something Zoran had rarely seen happen. And never had that happened when the pervert was looking at Sunbird’s headmaster.

(Seiren) ‘-Wait a minute. You called Hikaru’s mom by her first name. (he then looked at his father) And you brought my dad to act as our lawyer in secret. (finally his attention’s focus became the Summerbolt old dogs) And the way Graid and my dad were talking with each other … all of you … you know each other, right? Like, really know each other?’

Zoran didn’t have time to look around the faces of Serego and all the Summerbolts to decide which of them had been surprised the most by the realization Seiren had come to. Maybe this realization was most shocking for Mr. Lawell himself.

(Iziya) ‘-We do, yeah. Saya, Zoran and Serego were in the same class in high school.’

This time around, all the Earthlings were shocked with Yuki, Hikaru and Seiren taking the leading positions, the adults around them smiling once again while observing their reactions. With the busy lives each of them led at the moment, Saya, Serego and least of all Zoran could afford to spare any time to reminisce about the past. Thus, when an occasion to do that presented itself, each of the now old dogs welcomed it.

(Hikaru) ‘-But then … (his eyes were moving fast between the faces of his mother, Seiren’s father and Sunbird’s headmaster) … that Class Battle my mother told me about … the two of you participated in it as well?!’

(Serego) ‘-A bit more than that, actually. We were the main stars of our class during the Battle. Just as Hanaru, Ukris and Rale were the main stars of the enemy class.’

(Yuki) ‘-Hikaru’s father … he was in the same class as the Nightsongs?!’

(Rose) ‘-Technically Rale wasn’t a Nightsong back then, but yeah.’

(Hikaru) ‘-You’ve got to tell us more! What happened exactly?!’

(Saya) ‘-You really want to know about that here, now?’

The answer came unanimously not just from Yuki, Hikaru and Seiren, but from their classmates as well, the brats’ eyes shining with curiosity as everyone stopped in front of the imposing court building. They had reached their destination very fast, but then again that was no surprise as the courthouse stood on the other side of Deckstoru’s central plaza near which the hospital was located.

(The Earthlings) ‘-YES!!!’

Saya, Serego and Zoran looked helplessly at each other before nodding with a tired sigh and then turning their attention to the brats again. Seeing how engrossed they had become in the topic of discussion, if they didn’t provide at least some information about their past exploits, the youngsters were only going to harass them later. And everyone needed to be as calm as possible during the trial.

(Serego) ‘-We’ll just give you a quick summary of what happened, however, as we don’t have time for anything more detailed right now, got it?’

The Earthlings nodded in unison as their eyes were so fixated on the three former classmates that Zoran felt like each of them could catch fire just from the intensity of their listeners’ gazes.

(Zoran) ‘-The final stage of deciding the outcome of the battle turned out to be a clash between our trios.

Serego fought Rale back at Nebula’s deciduous area all of you have now seen, Saya fought Ukris in the pinewood and I faced Hanaru in the rocky area at the end of the park.’

(Hikaru) ‘-Mhm. And then?’

(Saya) ‘-I defeated Ukris and Serego beat Rale, but then a few still barely active members of the enemy class finished us off, everything being left in Zoran and Hanaru’s hands.’

(Hikaru) ‘-So when you said the Battle ended in a draw … (now he looked at Zoran) … that draw came from your battle with my father, headmaster?’

Zoran could only muster a nod as the more he looked at Hikaru and the more the Class Battle of the past was discussed, the more memories from that time crept out of his mind and came into light again after being buried in darkness for years. And while those memories were mostly filled with joy, the pain of knowing Hanaru, with whom the headmaster had experienced so much, was no longer alive overshadowed the joy to a great extent.

(Hikaru) ‘-You knew him as well, then? My father?’

Graid pat Zoran on the back with enough force to remind him how strong Hikaru’s uncle was even when he didn’t want to be, his laughter being even stronger however. And just like before, that laugh both relaxed the phoenix-morph and embarrassed him.

(Graid) ‘-Oh, it was so much more than just knowing him! Old man Zoran here and Hanaru were bitter rivals! (he glanced at Hikaru and Seiren) One would say they were the Hikaru and Seiren of their time!’

Right after he said that, Iziya hugged Saya over the shoulder and pulled her forward with a laugh as loud and lively as her brother’s.

(Iziya) ‘-And Saya was their Yuki!’

The Summerbolt brother and sister’s barrage of embarrassing remarks had been unleashed, the only solace the further ashamed Zoran found in all this being that Saya seemed just as flustered as him, as did Yuki, Hikaru and Seiren.

The Earthlings felt things had got a little awkward, but didn’t seem too keen to put an end to the torture for those affected, Serego definitely not being the most reliable choice for a savior in this situation as he too was enjoying himself. Then there was Rose, beaming with joy more than anyone else, Sunbird’s headmaster deducing the cause for that was mainly pride for Iziya and Graid’s antics. It was after all well known those two had inherited their annoying sense of humor from her.

Saya was not one to allow others to embarrass her for long, though, so in the end her kicking Graid to one side and pushing Iziya toward the stairs leading to the courthouse’s entrance was what put a stop to the whole harassment episode.

(Saya) ‘-We agreed on not going into too much detail, you bastards! And don’t forget why we’ve come here!! Focus up or we’ll end up laughing our lives away in prison!!’

(Graid) ‘-Now, now, sis! Izy and I haven’t agreed to such things!!’

Iziya now turned around and winked at the Earthlings with a grin.

(Iziya) ‘-So you can count on us for sharing more spicy details from the past, kids!!’

Saya passed through her sister and her brother, grabbing both by the necks at that point and dragging them inside the building with the temperature around her noticeably rising. Whether the cause for that was her solar flame deva, her anger or both, no one could say for certain.

(Saya) ‘-And you two can count on me to personally beat both of you up if you keep aggravating me!! I’ve done it before and I’ll be more than glad to do it again!!!’

With the fiery mom dragging her siblings forward, Zoran was able to enjoy a moment of peace and look at Yuki, Hikaru and Seiren again, clearly the revelations made having affected those three the most.

(Seiren) ‘-So who do you think was stronger, Summerbolt? My dad or yours?’

(Hikaru) ‘-That’s not playing fair, Blackscale. You’ve seen what your dad is capable of while I’ve never seen mine in action.’

(Yuki) ‘-Well, we can’t say if Seiren knows everything his father can do, either, as I bet you didn’t know about all of Saya’s abilities prior to the Class Battle, Hikaru.’

(Seiren) ‘-I think my dad’s stronger.’

(Hikaru) ‘-I guess we’ll never know. (the rivals butted heads, gritting their teeth in the other’s face) But we can always defend their name by deciding which of us is stronger! The winner’s dad will also be the stronger one!!’

(Seiren) ‘-Now we’re talking, lightning boy!!’

What followed was Yuki grabbing the two and dragging them forward while making sure they were far enough from the other to not make any contact in a manner similar to what Saya had done with Iziya and Graid.

(Yuki) ‘-Trial first, vendetta later, you two!!’

Maybe Graid and Iziya had a point. Perhaps Yuki, Hikaru and Seiren were indeed the Big Three of their time and Zoran wondered what fate had in store for them from here on. He also dreaded learning the answer to that question, however, as that answer could entail a very unpleasant scenario if things went south in the courtroom they were about to enter.

0