Chapter 56: Queen’s Escape
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ulura had a mission. The moment the neutralization chip controller was disabled, she was to break free of her cell and find her classmates that were also locked up in Lagram prison – starting with Nepalo – the only other in the maximum security wing.

While having failed at the tasks they had been given, the former Martians had shown some potential that merited resurrecting them after their expected death during the Class Battle. And then they were meant to join the ranks of the organization Rale and Ukris served as mindless slaves. This plan wasn’t successful that time around but with the undead having returned to wage proper war on Barilia, Ulura and co. were going to be targeted once again.

So what they needed to do was gather the whole class and run far away from the prison, from there deciding what they will do in the future. Together. For if ever the young Nightsong were to say who she had felt closest to in all her life, it was actually her classmates. The same group she and the other stronger members of her class had mistreated and bullied time and again. Yet she hoped that saving them now would convince the ex-Martians to forgive her and perhaps, even trust and follow her again.

As for her parents, after learning of her father’s murderous intent toward her and knowing full well her mother would do the same if she had her way, the Nightsongs’ child had decided to use the first opportunity to sever all ties with her blood family.

Thus she attempted to use her green laser deva again and again while inside her cell, waiting for the moment when it would manifest to know the controller has been neutralized. Eventually she simply started banging on the glass walls and screamed due to her rising frustration, not paying any attention to the burning pain caused by the energy of the cell’s defence mechanism. All that mattered was her escaping along with those she still cared for.

After what felt like an eternity, a pulse of green lasers was discharged from her fists that had already been bloodied from coming in contact with the defensive energy so many times, indicating the promised time had come. The next pulse released was purposeful and much stronger, the black-haired beauty going beyond a 15% output for her deva the moment it became certain she had regained her use of it.

Had the deva output augmenting implants still been in her, reaching a higher power level wouldn’t have been a problem, but those had been removed surgically when she had been brought to Lagram. Therefore she would need to suffer some more before this was over – a fact Ulura could come to terms with if it meant ensuring the survival of her family. As the former high-school tyrant tried to adapt to the pain spreading throughout her body, her second pulse clashed with the energy inside of the cell, shattering it along with the glass beyond and initiating the crumbling of the entire structure.

Miss Nightsong wasn’t around by the time that crumbling was finished, however, having already teleported in the corridor-shaped space between the rows of cells, running down amid the chaos caused by the other prisoners breaking free to find Nepalo. From what she had glimpsed just before she had done that, Rale had already freed himself, meaning it was more than likely he would go after the two highest-ranking targets in the maximum security wing right from the start. She needed to be faster than him. Faster than anyone that stood in her path.

These thoughts made her further surpass the allowed output for her abilities, causing Ulura more and more agony, but she paid it little mind. Her vision was what her whole being had been focused on so she could spot Nepalo as soon as possible, due to the size of the maximum security wing this happening pretty soon. A spray of crimson energy caught her eye, teleporting directly in front of its source to see if her intuition was correct.

There indeed stood the Martian King and leader of the Ares Trio as well as the strongest member of her class and her closest friend and advisor, Nepalo. Barely having had any contact since they had been put in this wing, whatever words either one had thought of to say to the other upon their reunion seemed to elude them now. The shock of both the reunion in itself and the circumstances of it was too much to allow for a normal thought process, seconds later their ability to think straight only being further challenged.

Explosions were seen above, leaving a gaping hole at the upper end of the ramp next to the cells that led back to the surface. While this sight along with the tremors accompanying it drew the attention of all the escapees, what followed managed to keep it focused on one thing for quite a bit longer. Shrieks that would haunt the dreams of all those to have heard them filled the space around the maximum security wing as tens, if not hundreds of inhuman silhouettes descended down the ramp with great speed. It was only when they drew close enough to be reached by the lighting around the cells that their appearance become clear.

They were all demons – taller than a man though quite slender, barely having any clothes to cover their bodies, with beige skin riddled with fresh short stitches and big horns and a spike at the end of their long tails with the color of blood. All the creatures bore identical dark purple symbols on their chest and the back of their hands, their two most distinctive features being present on their heads, however. Their eyes were covered by wine red bandages that had symbols glowing in electric purple written on them, lacking any hair whatsoever but instead having a small chasm on the top of their heads, out of which were spewn reddish-purple flames and rose ample amounts of dark purple smoke.  

From what little she knew about demons, Ulura noticed these ones lacked wings – one of the chief characteristics of the species, but while considering that unusual, she managed to redirect her attention faster than any of the inmates, pulling Nepalo to her side again.

(Ulura) ‘Nepalo, look at me! We have to get out of here! Right now!! We need to get the class together and get as far away from this place as possible!!’

She had never seen her friend look so aghast, Nepalo having always been the main pillar that supported her and the one Ulura actually relied on for strength. Then she came to a realization connected to her thoughts from before leaving her cell.

It was time to change things. It was time for Ulura to change and the moment that would mark that transformation’s beginning was now, when she would finally step up and defend those close to her. For if she didn’t, none of them would remain alive long enough to get another chance at reconciliation.

Sunbird’s former Queen shook the Martian King several times while shouting at his face, completely ignoring all the horrific acts taking place around her. So much so that she didn’t notice one of the demons had jumped at her until the very last moment.

Her realization coincided with a fist clad in crimson energy pulverizing the monster’s jaw before the force of the attack sent it flying back through the ranks of its kind, Nepalo who was responsible for that looking at Ulura now.

(Nepalo) ‘Sorry about that. It’s not everyday that you get your deva back, get out of prison and get attacked by hordes of demons. I can teleport faster, so hold on to me. We’re getting to the surface in one go.’

(Ulura) ‘You’ll need an output a lot higher than 15% to achieve such …’

Nepalo pulled her to himself a second later with a smirk, making her heart skip a beat due to the two not having been this close in a while.

(Nepalo) ‘You’ve already suffered some damage from going overboard, girl, so don’t be telling me what output I’ll need.’

He teleported the two aside with a burst of his deva, Ulura using the second they spent floating amid nothingness to wrap her arms around the leader of the Ares Trio even more. She had got out of her cell with the intention to provide all the support her classmates needed, but when she was with Nepalo and he behaved like this, she just couldn’t help but lose some of that resolve. Whatever mask of fortitude she had put on simply slipped away when she was in his arms and nowhere else felt as safe for her as by his side.

And there was also the fear at the back of her mind about what the two would be faced with once they teleported at the other end of the ramp, so the sole moment of blissful peace that had presented itself could not be wasted.

When the black-haired beauty’s feet touched solid ground again, she opened her eyes, having tried to steel her nerves as much as possible for what was coming. Distraction and hesitation could not be tolerated from this point forward until the former Martians were gathered together and at a safe distance from the prison.

The situation in the medium security wing for deviants was just as dreadful as what was taking place under it: demons had infiltrated this area as well and the prisoners had used what level of output they could muster to escape their cells. A difference in comparison to the maximum security wing was that there were guards here that were still active, only these ones did not rely on anti-deva batons or miniguns. Each of the thirty or so members of their group carried one or two high-tech anti-deva weapons, firing large quantities of projectiles of an elemental or different type at both the convicts and the monsters in a desperate attempt to not stop, but kill them.

If anything, this situation could prove useful for the King and Queen on the run as due to the chaos all around no one would take notice of them moving around in search of their classmates. And soon enough it became apparent that they weren’t the only ones who had such plans as two other familiar faces stood out amid the melee when Ulura got a good look-around.

It was Hock and Gorudora, both wearing yellow prisoner jumpsuits, the former carrying the latter on his back while moving through the clash between guards, prisoners and demons as fast as a 15% output allowed him with his Daroid. Every now and then he would have to pierce through an obstacle with his Sairoid, his friend providing support by throwing carmine bolts at whatever he missed. Gorudora was also the one to spot Ulura and Nepalo, trying to warn Hock seconds before the two duos bumped in the other.

(Gorudora) ‘Hock, stop! Stop it!! Ulura and Nepalo are straight ahead!!’

The dual energy compound user discontinued the use of his scarlet energy right on time to avoid hitting Ulura or Nepalo, the four strongest Martians being reunited with plenty of shock for each of them, followed by just as much joy.

(Hock) ‘That was a close one! And to think I was even worried you guys might not make it out of there!’

(Nepalo) ‘Coming to rescue us, were you, shitheads?’

(Ulura) ‘All of us are going to need rescuing if we don’t move soon, though, so let’s get to it. Hock, Goru, have you seen any of the others?’

(Gorudora) ‘The moment these demonic bastards got here, they managed to snatch some people from the class before we could stop them. Mia, Kia and Lara went after them while Hock and I decided to go down to look for you two.’

(Ulura) ‘Alright. We stick together from now on and move as quickly and efficiently as possible. First we’ll rendezvous with the Hera Trio girls and anyone else we find along the way and then we’ll get back whoever the demons have captured. Once we’re done with that, we’ll get the hell out of here!!!’

(Hock) ‘Any ideas as to where we’re gonna go after we escape? As I think the city is pretty …’

Proving once again to be the one who values his classmates’ lives more than anyone else, Nepalo didn’t let Hock finish, grabbing him and Gorudora by the necks as his skin started to turn pinkish-red, his eyes – yellow, his hair – into a cluster of long and thin strands sticking out in all directions.

(Nepalo) ‘We’ll discuss that part later! First we have to escape this damned prison and I’ll make sure that happens! I’ll lead the way while you three support me by cladding me in your devas!! Also, Hock and Goru will watch our flanks while you, Ulu, will be on top!’

(Ulura) ‘You mean you want me to get on your back? But if you fully transform right now, the damage …’

This time around Ulura’s concern for his well-being infuriated her friend who roared as loud as could be at her while growing in size and muscle mass that caused his red prisoner jumpsuit to rip in several places.

(Nepalo) ‘Didn’t I tell you already?! Don’t lecture me about holding back when the survival of our class is at stake!! Get on my back right now!!!’

Miss Nightsong followed the order she had been given by the Martian King, Hock and Gorudora being left with no choice in the matter at all as they glanced at Nepalo before looking at each other with confident grins.

(Gorudora) ‘Well, this strategy has been pretty efficient in the past.’

(Hock) ‘As it will be this time as well! I’m going to speed Nepalo up as well, so you better keep those keen eyes of yours peeled, Goru! If anyone will be able to spot our guys at such speeds, it’s gonna be you!!’

The quartet was just about ready to depart on their journey through madness when the floor under them caved in, from it exploding a fountain of grayish-black water that had streaks glowing in light red here and there. Out of that fountain came the same demon who had conversed with Ukris before releasing her earlier, flying straight at Nepalo and choking him with one hand on his throat while laughing.

(Kar) ‘Trying to run off already? Because the demons scared you, maybe? Too bad, children, for the true terrors still lie ahead!!’

Hock, Gorudora and Nepalo tried to combine the scarlet and crimson energies and carmine bolts of the Ares Trio to counter the attack they felt was coming, Ulura swinging with only her index fingers to unleash the mightiest cutting technique of her green laser nails. The crossed beams formed as a result of those two swings were perfectly countered by an identical set of beams, only the ones used for the counter being black in color. This was Ukris’ doing, as sparks erupted from the clash of the mother and daughter’s techniques both of them shouting at the other consumed by anger.

(Ukris) ‘Just what the hell do you think you’re doing?! Turning your back on me is fine, but don’t you dare turn your back on our organization!!!’

(Kar) ‘Save it, Ukris! These four are bound to serve us, no matter what they do!!’

(Nepalo) ‘Like hell!!’

Nepalo’s words along with the trinity attack by him, Hock and Gorudora elicited a grin mixing mockery and delight from Kar, azure flames with just a tinge of light red to them forming amid the water swirling around him and completely neutralizing the trio’s technique.

(Kar) ‘EXACTLY.’

The demon’s strange flames were then mixed with his even stranger water, the two bringing about a burst of hellish steam that the four strongest Martians tried to block together, but to no avail. Gray steam with streaks of azure and light red covered everything, the three colors infusing amid a sudden wave of suffocating dry heat to turn Ulura’s surroundings black. What she felt next was being slammed against and pushed through one wall, then another and then another, the might of this attack being greater than even anything Ukris was capable of. Flesh was ripped, bones – broken, all the while Kar Summerbolt’s steam burning everything away.

Finally the crushing through things ended, the young Nightsong being able to open her eyes again, her nose having already registered the stench of blood, her ears – the sound of fires burning close by. Although her bloodied body was ravaged by pain coming from multiple new sources, each with a different level of acuteness, she still tried to look for Hock, Gorudora and Nepalo, from whom she had been separated, before taking a look at her condition.

Having been hammered into a minicrater in Lagram’s inner courtyard and unable to move freely, Ulura could only study her surroundings from the sight provided while lying down. All the buildings that were a part of the prison complex had been set ablaze, some being engulfed by the same type of flames as the ones spewn from the chasms on the lower-class demons’ heads. The watchtowers had been brought down, the fences – torn apart, some undead soldiers going through a pile of corpses to split it into several smaller ones, by the looks of it separating the dead by how mangled their bodies were. Other soldiers had gathered and watched over the ordinari and the deviant prisoners both from the medium and the maximum security wings, plenty of demons being visible amid their ranks as well.

At the far end of the courtyard a number of crafts had begun to land, some being of the black heart type, others – of the silver wasper type, Ulura having been shown images of both back at the Nightsong mansion’s basement. More soldiers exited the vessels that had already landed, their attire being of two types, the black-haired beauty guessing the differences in their appearance were meant to separate the deviants from the orginari among them.

Yet for all that she saw, the young Nightsong could not find the one thing she was looking for – her friends. Given that, she found the strength to overcome the agony pulsing through her body at least for a bit and stand to her feet, being able to turn around freely now and see what was behind her.

That is when she found them. All the members of her class, beaten-up and bruised as much as her if not more, had been brough to their knees, a screeching demon standing behind each of them with Hock, Gorudora and Nepalo having just been brought to the frontmost part of that group. Hock and Gorudora were held down by a pair of demons that shared quite a few of Kar’s characteristics while what held Nepalo was a female humanoid with wolf traits and three eyes.

The others had been stabbed by a couple of horns identical to the ones sticking out of the lower-class demons’ heads, Hock having a number of blades made of hellish winds pointed at him, Gorudora being wrapped in chains of hellish energy. Out of the entire group Nepalo hadn’t suffered any additional damage, but the Martian Queen noticed there was another problem with him – rather than finish his transformation into his monster form, he was regressing back to his human version. And the reason for that was the palm the wolf monster had put on the back of his neck, most likely that woman possessing a very powerful energy absorption deva, in this case using it to drain enough of the Martian King’s deva energy to not allow him to transform at all.

Soon enough, the ranks of the captors were joined by Kar and Ukris and finally by Rale, Kar being the one to step closest to Ulura as the attention of the beings of terror holding her classmates was focused on her.

(Kar) ‘Since you’re allies to the Nightsongs, I’ll give you one last chance. Take a look at each other, Martians, and decide. Especially you, little Ulura. Will you serve us while preserving the bonds with your friends, or will you serve us as mindless puppets? Either way, as I already said, you’re all bound to serve.’

0