Chapter 7
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zach couldn’t stop smiling. 

He didn’t know that Tynan had a connection to Cain Granger. In his past life, they were practically enemies. He wondered what could have happened for their relationship to change?

Well, it wasn’t his problem. He was already willfully changing the future. He would watch and see what was happening. 

The injury that paralyzed Cain might be related to Tynan. The succession fight was bloody. While Tynan eventually emerged the winner, there was no doubt that he’d suffered losses.

Zach already muddled that situation.

“Are there any shareholders in your company?” Wasn’t he looking for someone to manage his company? Wasn’t this a better solution?

“No. It is just me.” Cain answered.

“Fifty-fifty split or forty-five–forty-five split, with ten percent left in case the company goes public.” Zach didn’t like the second option. “I prefer a fifty-fifty split. I will waive all managerial rights and offer you the chance to purchase first if I want to liquidate my shares in the company.”

“This benefits me more,” Cain said.

Voices came across the line, but he couldn’t make out what they were saying. “You can think of it that way.” They would corner the market. He could focus on coding, which was his passion, instead of growing the business.  

“I have no reason to say no to this. That is contingent on…, ow.”

The sound of voices grew louder, but he still couldn’t make out what they were saying. Someone must have covered the phone.

While waiting for Cain to come back on the line, he picked himself up off the floor. He didn’t know how long he was down there. He ran through every word he’d said. His mind was only too satisfied to torture him.

Dragging his sore body to bed, he groaned in relief. If his phone hadn’t alerted him to someone searching for his information, he might have stayed there all night.

“Ahem. As I was saying, I would love to be in this partnership with you. We should do a forty-five split. I have two additional investors. Shit. Stop kicking me. Three. There are three additional investors.”

Zach wondered what was happening over there. He imagined Tynan was one of the additional investors. 

“I will come to the capital with the source code for my game. You can look at it before making a decision. It should be two to three weeks from now.”

“Appreciate it. Wait…,” Cain disappeared again. The sound became muffled again. 

Zach smiled. It is lively over there. 

Cain’s voice was stiff as he spoke, “That isn’t necessary. I will come…, I mean, on the weekend I will go to Pe City to meet you.” There were more loud voices. “It has to be the weekend. I have work. So do all of you.”

The sound cut off. 

“Sorry about that. Cain had to leave,” Tynan said. “He apologized and said Thursday works best for him. Are you busy that day?”

Zach didn’t believe for a second that Thursday was better for Cain. It was clear that Tynan wanted to see him again.

A tingly feeling settled in his stomach. He wanted it to be indigestion, but it probably wasn’t. “If I give you an inch, I feel like you will take a mile.”

“Just give in,” Tynan’s voice was velvet. “What are you afraid of?”

There was a bitter smile on his lips. “I’m a timid person.”

“No, you're not. Something about me scares you. The same thing that lets us know we would be good together.”

“You can’t know that,” Zach answered before he could stop himself.

“I shouldn’t have left Pe City,” Tynan said.

“Have you ever heard the phrase ‘taking it slow?’” Zach felt his moods swinging from one extreme to the next.

“I can’t do that. I’d never stand a chance. You’d run away.”

Zach couldn’t control the waver in his voice. “You can’t steamroll your way in.” 

Tynan chuckled. “Then you have to stop showing me things I like.”

He scoffed. “Is there anything you won’t like about me?” He was sure about it. Tynan was a rabid dog with a bone. He wouldn’t be satisfied until all of Zach was laid bare. 

“I’m sure if we are together long enough, I will find something I don’t like.”

“Go away Ty, flirting and arguing with you takes too much energy.” Today was too much of a rollercoaster. He was crashing. Struggling out of his clothes, he crawled under the sheets.

“Say that again?” His voice was low.

Zach pulled the phone before rubbing his ear. Tynan’s voice was too sexy. He felt his ear tingling. “What?”

“Call my name again,” his voice dropped an octave lower.

“Tynan.” Zach was going to have a wet dream tonight. There was no way to avoid it.

“That is not what you said,” he growled.

“Don…, and…, mean.” Zach fell asleep without realizing it. 

***

Tynan was worried and happy.

Vulnerable.

It was a side of Zach he didn’t think he would be privy to for a while. Behind the brass and bravado, Zach had a soft spot. Tynan doubted many people got to see Zach that way. 

It was adorable.

It was enthralling.

The soft and hard sides to Zach’s personality captivated Tynan. He wanted to see more. It was more insightful than the bold, flirty persona that Zach first portrayed. 

“How long do you plan to stand there smiling to yourself? A sarcastic voice quipped.

"Why are you here, Rain?" Tynan ignored the man’s question.

“Is that any way to talk to a friend? I came here to support you. I was shocked to hear you were interested in someone.” He hid the hurt he felt behind a teasing tone. “Who is he?” His voice was now curious and severe.

Tynan shot him a look. He was worried. Rain didn’t seem to have resolved his feelings as well as he claimed to have. “He isn’t suspicious.” Tynan chalked it up to Rain being the big brother of the group. It was best if he pretended not to see. 

Rain wasn’t willing to break the peace either. “How can you be sure?” There wasn’t anyone in their group that didn’t have experiences that jaded them. 

“He is nineteen years old. Independently wealthy. No connection to the Blackburn Family or S country.” Tynan was careful with what he said next. “It was the way he looked at me. The way I couldn’t look away from him. The fact that we could spend the day talking about the weather and it would be thrilling. He looked at me like he was waiting for this single encounter his whole life. The feeling was entirely mutual.”

There was a flash of pain in his eyes before it disappeared. “Are you an idiot?” he asked, his tone dry.

Tynan chuckled. When something is too good to be true, it usually is. “I was targeted.”

“So you know,” Rain said, unable to keep the satisfaction out of his voice.

In favor of their friendship, he was willing to overlook a lot, but he would have to keep an eye on Rain. “Not in the way you think. He wasn’t there looking for a romantic connection. He wanted to use me as a springboard to enter the capital.”

Tynan wasn’t in love; it was too early for that. He was in lust, but there was more to it. It was hard to explain, but he would regret it for the rest of his life if he didn’t explore this. It probably wouldn’t take much for it to be love.

“He is clear in what he wants, and I am not in his plans. He doesn’t want anything to do with me. Not that it matters.” Tynan wouldn’t back down without a fight. Zach…, once Zach let go of what was holding him back, he wouldn’t back down either.

Rain took a deep breath. He’d never seen that look on Tynan’s face. It hurt that look wasn’t directed at him, but he was happy that Tynan found someone. If he said it enough, it would be true.  “What does he want with Cain?”

“Didn’t you hear? They were talking about their company. I’m sure you took some shares.” Tynan kept his tone neutral. Cain and Rain’s relationship was between them. 

“I played the demo for Cain’s game. It is amazing,” Rain said, pride in his voice. 

“Apparently, Zach’s game rivals it but is in different genres.” Tynan didn’t understand, but Zach was too excited to stay calm when he found out about Cain.

“And you're sure he isn’t targeting us?” Rain questioned, burying the dark place the question came from.  

Tynan didn’t bother answering. Zach didn’t know about Cain until a second ago. He was genuinely shocked that they knew each other, shocked but ecstatic. 

Leaving the room, he didn’t look back to see if Rain was following. 

“Don’t I have a chance?”

Tynan paused. “I will pretend I didn’t hear that. I think I made myself clear on this subject years ago. Don’t disrespect me or Cain.” He didn’t know what had gotten into Rain. It had been five years since the other man’s confession, and Tynan hadn’t been kind with his rejection.

He didn’t look back. It took a moment, but he resumed walking. 

Rain knew what Tynan was thinking, but how could he be resigned. Tynan wasn’t interested. Not just in him, but in anyone. He kept a string of replaceable boys but never got serious. His heart plummeted when Morris sent him the message. 

He thought Tynan wouldn’t find anyone. As long as Tynan was single, Rain could maintain his happiness. Now that was threatened. 

He looked at Tynan’s broad back and bit back bitter feelings. With Tynan showing so much emotion, how couldn’t he try his luck? He would have given anything to have Tynan look at him like that. Speak about him like that.

Rain didn’t believe that the boy's motives were altruistic. He couldn’t. If that was true, it meant that Tynan just wasn’t interested in him, and Rain wasn’t willing to accept that.

He didn’t go back to join the others. He left through the back door.

Tynan looked at Morris, and he contemplated stabbing him.

“Someone had to do it,” Morris said. 

Cain sat with his head between his legs. His hands messed up his hair.

“Cain?” Tynan started.

Morris had meant this as a test. They’d all thought Rain had gotten over his feelings. Especially Cain. He hadn’t thought it would be this bad.

The breath shuddered out of Cain. He didn’t know what to do. He loved Rain to the point that he hated Tynan, but it wasn’t Tynan’s fault. 

Tynan wouldn’t apologize. He’d cut Rain out of his life for a period, and it was only because of Cain that their relationship eased. Cain probably knew Rain was using him.

They shared a round of drinks in silence.

“I always thought if I gave enough of myself, it would be enough,” Cain mumbled.

Morris hated to see the situation, but he didn’t mince his words. “Rain probably thinks the same thing.”

“Isn’t that the truth.” Cain didn’t know if the bitterness of his words clung to his tongue, but his drink became harder to swallow.

Cain had been in a good mood. He was looking forward to his new business venture. The situation in the Blackburn family was about to resolve itself. 

He rubbed his tired eyes. Things were simpler when they were in university.

“Don’t tell Rain about the information that Zach provided.”

“Rain would never hurt you,” Cain came to his automatic defense.

“If anyone else provided the information, I would be inclined to believe you, but I no longer trust Rain’s judgment. No, I can’t trust his judgment. You should understand. The same way you defend Rain is the same way I will defend Zach.”

“You don’t love him,” it was a statement. Cain knew that Tynan was too practical to fall in love at first sight. 

“It isn’t.” Tynan swirled the drink in his glass. “But it wouldn’t take much for it to turn into love.” Draining the last of the amber liquid, he continued. “It will never be Rain. Never.”

Cain heard his words, and he let out a breath of relief before his body tensed up. Tynan was right. He couldn’t tell Rain. He didn’t trust Rain not to sabotage them to keep Tynan isolated. 

Rain had done worse when Tynan rejected him in the first place.

 

  

2