Chapter 2: San Onofre
5 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked around the bar, the address was correct, but it didn't seem like the right place. The place was mostly empty, except for a bartender and a few men scattered in the corners, each sitting as far away from the other as possible. The only exception to that rule was a man sitting across from the bartender, seemingly laughing at his own jokes. From his laughter, they must be some damn good ones.

 

I glanced at the photo once more. That was him, the contact I was supposed to meet up with. I wiped the sweat off my brow before walking over to take a seat next to the man.

 

“Have I died and gone to heaven?” He loudly asked, turning to face me fully. “Because I think I’ve seen an angel.” He ostentatiously emoted, wildly moving his hands around and spilling some beer from his mug. 

 

The rest of the men in the bar were now looking in my direction, hungrily watching me like wolves watching a lamb.

 

“Charming.” I spoke under my breath. “Reyes?”

 

“The one and one.” He lowered his voice. “If you meet any others, let me know so I can, you know,” he clicked his tongue, feigning cutting his own throat, “take care of them.”

 

“I was sent by Sidonis.” I crossed my arms over my chest.

 

“May I just say you’re gorgeous when you glare?” He leaned forwards, allowing me to smell the alcohol on his breath.

 

I clenched my jaw shut before standing up and walking towards the door. As I walked out of the bar, I could hear the crunch on the gravel as someone followed me. I glanced over my shoulder to see Reyes keeping pace as I made my way to my ride.

 

“Can’t believe Sidonis finally found someone. Especially someone as sexy as you.”

 

I turned on my heel to face him, forcing him to a stop. “Drop it before I drop you.”

 

“Ooh.” He lifted his hands up in mock surrender. “Feisty.”

 

“I was sent here to get your help with the job; now, are you going to help or not?” I crossed my arms once more before Reyes’ eyes drifted down to my cleavage, causing me to drop my arms once more.

 

“I suppose it is what I’m paid for.” He sighed dramatically. “But before we leave, I must tell you, before this job is done, I’m going to fuck you, beautiful.”

 

“I don’t sleep with co-workers. I already told your boss that.” I shook my head, tired of men in general. “Are you done with your pickup lines?”

 

“About.” He shrugged. “This your ride?” He ran his finger over the Challengers fender. “She’s almost as fine as you.”

 

“Get in.” I walked over, climbing into the driver’s seat. “I’m back, Wes.” He wagged his tail as he climbed into the backseat, watching as Reyes took his spot. “Where’re we headed?”

 

“San Onofre. An old nuke plant down by Oceanside, you know it?”

 

“We use to call it the twin boobs.” I cracked a smile, quickly hiding it before he could see. I pulled the car into drive before heading out of the parking spot towards the plant. “How long you work for Sidonis?”

 

“Some time.” Reyes vaguely responded.

 

“He also give you a marriage offer when you started?” I glanced over at him through the side of my eye.

 

Reyes laughed loudly, causing Wesson to bark, obviously unsure of the commotion in the usual calm car. “What a sleaze bag.”

 

“Are you saying that in hopes I won’t think you’re as sleazy as him?” I looked over at him fully as we pulled onto i5. “Because at least he wasn’t as forward as you have been.”

 

“What can I say,” he laced his fingers behind his head, “I’m a womanizer. The ladies can’t resist me and in time you’ll see the charm. They always do.”

 

I rolled my eyes at his comment. “Sure thing. Now,” I shifted my tone, “onto business talk. How much do you know about these shards we’re going after?”

 

“I doubt more than you. Sidonis paid the workers at San Onofre.” Reyes changed the topic as well, seemingly not willing to even answer one of my questions. “Means we should be guided to where we need to and not be disturbed.” He explained.

 

“I prefer not to have to shoot anyone.” I glanced over at him, before turning my attention back to the road.


We had parked the car a bit away from the nuke plant, leaving Wes to watch over and make sure no one got too close. I had driven past here before but never gotten this close. It’s a lot larger than I first had expected and a much longer walk, leaving Reyes and me plenty of time for an uncomfortable silence. Eventually, we found our way to the man who would guide us. He took us through most of one of the nuclear reactors, telling us facts about the plant before the world went to shit. Interesting facts, sure, but not what we’re here for.

 

“You need to put these on.” The man stopped, pointing to plastic full-body suits. “We all do.” He stated before grabbing one off of the wall and beginning to put it on. Reyes and I looked at each other before following his instructions. After some time we were all changed and permitted, by our guide, into the next area of the plant, leading us to large safe doors. The man unlocked the door for us, opening it then and motioning us to go inside. Before us sat a mesmerizing pool of turquoise water.

 

“Shit.” I whispered a curse, looking at the beautiful waters. “Never seen anything like that before.”

 

“It’s highly irradiated.” Our guide butted in, taking any thoughts of a nice swim out of my mind.

 

“And it’s also where we’re headed.” Reyes looked over at me, a lopsided smile on his face.

 

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” I looked back at him with a humorless expression. “I may not have been to school, but I know damn well radiation isn’t good.”

 

“But that’s where the shard is.” He motioned towards the pool.

 

“Fuck me.” I sighed, looking back over at it. “Can’t we just get a pole or something?”

 

“The shard, according to my information, is about twenty-five feet down. Too far down for any pool cleaner rod. And, don’t worry. I will.” He winked, coming this close to my fist in his face.

 

“I don’t recommend it.” The man spoke up, seemingly shaken by this notion.

 

“The water will be safe due to the shard.” Reyes assured me. 

 

“And I’m supposed to believe that for what reason?” I crossed my arms. Reyes sighed before laying down on his stomach, reaching down to touch the water. He looked back up at me to see if I believed him or not. “Why don’t you go in if you’re so sure about it?”

 

“Can’t swim.” Reyes shrugged after standing back up.

 

“I can’t really either. Only when my life depends on it. And that’s too far down for me.”

 

We both turned our attention to our guide, who quickly put his hands up. “No way.”

 

I took a deep breath looking back down at the waters. “Fine. I’ll do it.” Or at least die trying. I unzipped the suit, stripping down into my underwear, leaving my clothes in a messy pile on the walkway. Reyes watched me with a sideways smile, looking me up and down. “Say anything and I’ll shoot you.”

 

He put his hands up in surrender, taking a step back. “Good luck.”

 

I looked down at the water for a moment, before diving in, moving my body to swim as far as I could with that momentum. I swam and swam for what felt like forever. My breath was starting to give out. I couldn’t hold it for much longer when I heard a low hum and saw a glow from on the side of the wall. Pushing myself, I swam down to it and grabbed it. Instantly I didn’t need to breathe in anymore. The small shard vibration’s pulsed through my body.

 

Casually, I swam back up to the surface, taking a breath as I exited the water. Reyes held a hand out to me, helping me back onto the walkway. “I was worried about you. Glad you came out okay.”

 

“For now.” Our guide quietly added.

 

“The shard powers the entirety of Los Angles.” Reyes looked over at him. “It’ll protect from the radiation.”

 

“I didn't really believe him, but I didn’t have to breathe anymore after I grabbed it.” I looked down at the shard. “So, maybe it really will.” I paused for a moment before looking up at Reyes. “If we take it, does that mean the colonies nearby will lose their power?”

 

Reyes shrugged casually. “Most likely. Unless these guys can figure out how to get the plant running like it used to.” He motioned towards our guide.

 

“Can you?”

 

“Likely.” The man writhed his hands. “You--you should take a shower before you leave.”

 

“No point in changing until afterwards.” I picked my clothes up off the floor and followed the two men towards the showers. Once in the shower, I stripped down and began to clean off, keeping the shard in my hand per Reyes’ recommendation. “What exactly can these shards do, Reyes?” I called out to him over the water.

 

“Lots of stuff, some stuff we probably don’t even know.” He answered vaguely. 

 

“How’d you get involved in all of this?”

 

“I’m a scout for Sidonis. I’ve found many of the shards through a locator, which is why you have the locations for them that you do.” 

 

“If you found them and you know where they are, plus you’re already on his payroll, why hire me?”

 

“Probably ‘cause I can’t swim.” I could hear the smile in his voice. No doubt all too proud of himself for that one.

2