Chapter Seven: Don’t Cry Over Split Blood
27 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was the answer Akio expected. Yet, it still left her without words. If she did this, joined the vigilantes, she would never see her troop again. She would become a fugitive. But with murdering the enforcers, wasn't she already?

If I didn't kill them, I'd be dead.

This choice would change everything. She could just lie and join them until she was repaired enough to leave, though it was likely Indra would see through that cascade. She was no fool.

Akio had nowhere to go. No other choice. This was it, all she could do, unless she wanted to die.

"Fine. I'll become one of your vigilantes," Akio stated curtly, her voice void of emotion, almost robotic.

Until she recovered from her injuries, there was no way she'd be able to defend herself on her own. This was the best option. It was the only option.

Indra snorted, before whistling shrilly. "That's what I thought you'd say."

The others re-entered, Fluffy among them. The mamock bounded inside like an excited canine, stopping short when it noticed Akio. Snarling the mamock padded over to Indra, standing between her and Akio.

It's four black eyes narrowed, sending silent but clear death threats.

"Calm down, Fluffy. Akio is one of us now."

"H-Ho--"

Indra chuckled, though it was dry and humorless. "Information has a tendency of finding its way to me." She clicked her tongue. "You've also been tagged as dangerous, kill on sight."

An older model of holopad was tossed from Indra's hand, and landed soundlessly on the bed.

The headline made Akio clench her jaw. "Weapon Goes Rogue, Murders Enforcers".

Below that was all of the information from Akio's personal file, released to the public, and a reward for her capture or murder. "They attacked me first! Those Lizzassed starshitted bastards!"

Hawke picked up the holopad, his eyes going wide. "Seriously? Holy shit, your equipment is worth. . ."

Indra whacked his hand with her cane, snatching the holopad out of the air. "Let's not read all of her personal information."

Sheepishly rubbing his wrist Hawke nodded. "Yeah, sorry." He glanced up at Akio, his brow furrowed with concern, as if there were something he wanted to ask. But the words never came.

Akio met his gaze, sensing the fear and uncertainty wafting off of him. Was it because her status as a weapon was public and confirmed? Or was it something more? It seemed the latter, but Hawke wasn't ready to share.

This new information changed everything. Even if Akio healed up enough to leave, all of the commanders wanted her dead. She could never go back. Corwin, Arden, Hao, Iyar--she'd never see them again, except on the other side of a gun.

Her troop, her family. Everything was gone.

An empty numb clutched at Akio's chest, suffocating her, overwhelming the pain in her body as a single tear fell from her natural eye. She'd never see them again. She hadn't even said goodbye. Now, she wouldn't get the chance.

Part of Akio knew it would come to this, but she had clung to the hope that somehow it wouldn't.

The empty void inside her swallowed all of the emotions coming to the surface, she couldn't do more than stare at the ceiling, as silent tears trailed down half her face.

What now?

Why try?

Why live?

"As one of us, you live to fight another day, so that we can make the planet a better place," Indra cooed gently, the first to break the silence. "Don't allow yourself to wallow in what you can't change."

Had Akio said that aloud? Inhaling a shuddering sigh, she gave herself a few moments to simple breathe. It was a new start, a new beginning. Not the one she wanted, but the one she had.

She was free. Freedom always came at a cost, losing her family was hers. All this time she had been forcing herself to do everything the commanders asked of her, because she didn't want to lose the only thing she had.

But now, she was free. Finally free. Sure Akio had a large price on her head, and the threat of death looming over her, but she didn't have to kill, ever again.

She was more than a weapon. More than a number. She was Akio, a Se'li, and even though her choices were limited, at least she had them.

Bolivar walked over, his heavy footfalls shaking the floor. "We should get moving before the enforcers come looking for her. If we're caught harboring a fugitive like this, we'll be killed."

Eris looked down at her own holopad, which was of course the latest model with gold edging and easily fold-able sides. The hatred that had glowed in her eyes earlier became replaced with fear. "We should leave her. Did you see the number of kills on her file?"

Indra snorted, walking around fluffy. "Tell me Eris, when have I ever seen anything?"

Hawke and Bolivar shook their heads, though the two had matching amused smiles forming. Was Indra blind? She had amazing accuracy for someone who couldn't see.

Eris rolled her eyes. "I'm being serious. Six is a danger to all of us."

"Akio." Indra corrected. "She's not their weapon anymore and should be treated as a Se'li. And really?" Indra gestured to Akio. "Like that? Do you fear for your life with this Se'li who can barely move if at all? Grow a spine, you're a LizzDraken. You breathe fire."

A small chirping noise proceeded from a device in Hawke's pocket. He pulled it out, his expression turning serious with his lips set in a firm line. "We need to leave, now. My cart is around the back, let's hide Si--Akio in there."

Everyone nodded in agreeance, before Bolivar picked up Akio gently, cradling her like a small child. Compared to him, she certainly looked to be one.

The group separated to make it seem less conspicuous, leaving Akio buried beneath wares as Hawke and Bolivar pulled the basic wooden cart.

Not being able to see her surroundings put Akio on edge, but it was safer this way. Even if she saw and calculated, she didn't have the ability to fight, she was an immobile target. Dead if spotted.

Calm breaths. Inhale, one, two, three, exhale. The worst thing Akio could do was panic, especially since it was a bit harder to breathe in the thick sack she was placed inside. Tiny bits of light streaming in through near microscopic holes were the only things she could see. She needed to trust the complete strangers who lived here far longer than she had. The strangers that took her in and were putting their lives on the line to protect her, even knowing who she truly was.

It didn't seem a natural concept to Akio. Who in their right mind would commit such idiocy?

The dissonance of voices informed Akio that they had now entered the main street. Shouts of sellers hoping to gain attention, the scent of various foods, and the bleating of animals echoed between the buildings. Though Akio had only just strolled through here yesterday, it seemed like turns ago, as if it were a different lifetime. Nothing was the same now. And it never would be again.

Akio bit her lip to stifle a cry of pain when the cart ran over a bumpy surface, slamming her injured shoulder repeatedly into the floor of the wooden cart. Instinctively, she wanted to reach up and grasp it. If only she could move her other arm. Using the strength of her abdomen, she turned to lay on her side, alleviating the throbbing agony.

How far was the mansion? Despite having been in many worse situations, this was definitely among the top ten in regards to discomfort.

"Human, stop the cart. We're supposed to do routine inspections, because there's a rogue weapon on the loose," a sharp voice commanded.

Starshit. Akio slunk the lowest she could into the cart, holding her breath. With blinding pain that nearly sent her into unconsciousness, she reached across herself to retrieve a knife from her forearm. She bit harder into her lip, causing lavender blood to seep into her mouth. The act of fetching the knife made her shoulder throb with unbearable intensity.

Blood oozed from the torn stitching, puddling beneath her. It was a fight to keep her eyes open, but she refused to be taken or die without fighting. If they kill me, they will die drowning in their own blood.

A familiar growl filled the air before several footsteps retreated.

"They should know better than to intimate a mamock, I've told so many this," Indra said with a fake sigh.

Letting out a breath, Akio collapsed onto her back as the cart began moving again. Her eyelids were heavy, her body weak, but she couldn't allow herself to pass out. There was a chance she would never wake up.

The conversation between Bolivar, Hawke, and Indra seemed distant. Akio couldn't make anything out beyond the hum of their voices.

It seemed as though she had only blinked, before her body was being roughly jerked out of the cart. Hawke grunted loudly, his arms trembling in obvious strain as he wrapped them around her waist, almost falling to the ground with Akio when she slammed into it. The stitching on her shoulder tore completely, causing lavender blood to ooze from the wound and down her arm.

She bit her tongue, preventing herself from crying out. The pain caused her stomach to churn, the dizziness from the loss of blood made it a task just to hold up her head. How long had Akio been out? What happened?

The suns were still in the sky, it wasn't night. Had they been followed?

Hawke continued to drag Akio across the ground, until he set her back against a wall in the stone alley way. "Whatever happens, don't make a sound."

"What happened?" Akio whispered, her voice nearly failing her as her body attempted to lure her into unconsciousness. "Why are we leaving the cart?"

Hawke crouched down, glancing over his shoulder. Sweat dripped down the side of his face, and soaked through his robes around his heaving chest. "The secret force is looking for you. They were spotted a few miles back and started following us. If we're caught with you, they'll execute us all." He placed Akio's forearm dagger in her hand. "Their executions are long and horrifying. If they find you, stab here," he gently touched the side of the neck near her larynx, "it will be fast. You don't want to be caught."

Several armored footsteps approached their location. Hawke glanced at Akio, his brown eyes gesturing to the knife, to remind her of what he said, before he left the alleyway.

Hawke stepped out into the street, a bright smile on his face, almost like he was greeting a lifelong friend. "Fellas! How can I help you on this fine day?"

Five towering Drakens stepped into view. Black armor plating blended in with their matching black scales. Their robes were darker than the night itself, likely making them invisible with the setting of the suns. Large, protruding horns much thicker than Eris' made them appear deadly, dangerous.

One of them growled, showcasing their large knife-like teeth. "How dare you speak to us, human. This street has been closed off until the weapon is found. You're impeding our investigation."

Another, near identical Draken, save for its missing eye, smashed through the cart with one swift kick, shattering most of the contents.

Hawke's face fell, but he quickly replaced it with a forced smile, though on him that always looked natural.

Akio's breathing hitched when the first one grabbed Hawke by the collar of his robe. Part of her itched to get up, to stop it. But she couldn't move. And if she somehow did, she sentenced Hawke to death by associating him with her.

"You are out during the new set curfew. . ."

Shaking his head, Hawke tried to wiggle out of the Draken's hold, but it was fruitless. The towering monster was much stronger than him. "I heard nothing about the curfew being moved earlier. I've done nothing wrong."

The Draken slammed Hawke in the stomach with his armor plated knee. "Never interrupted a member of the secret force!"

Hawke doubled over as he was dropped to the ground, wheezing.

"As I was saying, you are out during the new set curfew, and you must be punished. Otherwise sector five's citizens will think they can start breaking all the rules," the Draken stated, their eyes narrowed. "Do you know what would happen if another rebellion arose in this sector?"

Shaking his head, Hawke stayed silent as a boot connected with his side, sending him sprawling across the dusty stone street.

Why didn't he get up? Why wasn't he running?

Akio's chest grew tight as she struggled to breathe, unable to look away from the crimson blood splattering the street and the walls.

Come on Hawke. Get out of there. Save yourself. Please.

The secret force drew batons similar to what the enforcers had, but with small spikes scattered about them. The Draken's encircled Hawke, like a nightmare from hell.

No. Akio couldn't let them, wouldn't let them. She was a stardamned weapon. When she went to move, she fell forward, using one trembling leg to push herself across the stone street, leaving a trail of lavender blood behind her.

Hawke gazed up at her weakly, blood dripping down his face, and gave a light shake of his head. Crimson stained most of his features, ripping at Akio's heart.

Which was when reality hit her. If she gave herself up now, his suffering was for nothing. There was nothing she could do to help him while weak and broken. It would only sentence him to death.

Hawke hadn't known about the time. No one had known about the new curfew, and it was there because of Akio. This was her fault.

Closing her eyes, she looked away, unable to stomach what she knew would happen next. The thud of each impact made her jolt, knowing that there was nothing she could do to stop it. Silent sobs shook her broken body, her weak, useless body.

This was wrong. Hurting innocent people for such a stupid rule.

No one is innocent.

Akio gritted her teeth. That wasn't true. The stupid mantra that she preached to herself every night for many turns wasn't true. It was a lie. A lie she told herself so she didn't accept what she truly was. A lie that would keep her from acknowledging the evils performed at her hand.

Akio was no better than the Draken's who were attacking Hawke. She'd run the blood of endless species in the street in the name of the commanders, and she had never looked back. Never considered that they were all framed or set up to ease her conscience.

What she did, what the secret force was doing, wasn't justice. This wasn't fair. This was evil.

It went beyond specist, beyond power trips to do such a horrible thing. And the commanders had sent her to help these Lizzassed bastards! How could they enable this? How could they support it? This was wrong. But hadn't Akio known all along that the commanders were never in the right?

The dizziness came back in full force, making her world spin, but she held onto her consciousness. She needed to know that Hawke was okay. Akio needed to know that he was alive. That he hadn't died for a stranger. For a monster.

The impacts stopped, and the armored footfalls disappeared into the distance.

Akio reached out her trembling arm, the furthest her injured shoulder would allow, while pushing off the ground with her only functioning leg. Each movement made her body shudder, but she couldn't just lay there.

Please be alive, Hawke. Please be alive.

Even though Akio hardly knew him, she knew he didn't deserve to die beaten in the street. No one deserved that.

The rest of the vigilante group emerged from the shadows.

Hawke rolled to his side, his beaten and bloodied body covered in wounds and bruises. His robe wa

s torn in several places, displaying gold and brown wings beneath a transparent layer of skin on his back.

He wasn't human. Hawke was a Harken. Is that why the secret force was so brutal?

Thank the stars he was alive.

Unable to continue the strained movements, Akio collapsed in the street, her body trembling and oddly cold despite the heat. Blood. She'd lost too much blood. The darkness grew closer, unavoidable, Akio could only pray it wasn't the last thing she saw.

Hawke. He willingly bled for her. Why would anyone do that? For a stranger? For someone that they knew had done horrible things? For her?

The vigilantes should have left her out in the street to be found and be done with it. That's what anyone else would've done. It was the logical choice. And yet, they didn't. Hawke didn't.

Akio felt herself lifted into the air before she was surrounded by black fluff. She didn't have the energy to acknowledge the pain, or make a sound as Fluffy proceeded toward a stone wall.

Bolivar bent down and gently cradled Hawke in his arms, following after the rest of the group.

The suns faded from sight as everyone moved into a stone tunnel, headed to the only place safe from the evils of this world. But they were spoiling it, by bringing Akio, one of the worst evils of all.

0