Chapter Thirteen: Changes
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just as Akio was about to pull away, Indra grabbed her by the oi’ek and pulled her in closer, deeper. 

 

Akio’s hearts fluttered as if they had wings, the thrill of the moment leaving her elated. She’d never kissed anyone, cared about anyone, not like this. 

 

When Indra pulled away, it was over much too quickly. “I-I need to think—about this.” 

 

Indra grabbed her walking stick and ran out the door.

 

The thrill disappeared, with an odd emptiness left behind. Was this disappointment for something Akio never knew she wanted? Part of her wanted to run after Indra, but she knew that she needed space to think. This was new and confusing. 

 

Akio dried off and dressed herself, unable to take her mind of the sensation of Indra’s grasp on her oi’ek, pulling her in before pushing her away. It was weird. She didn’t understand it, any of it. Why had she kissed Indra? Why had Indra responded and changed her mind? 

 

This was just… weird. To go from wanting to die, to simultaneously excited and terrified for ten seconds, then plunged into disappointment was. . . weird. 

 

Akio picked up her pills, putting them in the pocket of her grey pajamas. 

 

She walked slowly back to her room, making sure to hold to the railing, in case her cybernetics went out again. So many confusing feelings left her emotionally drained. Tomorrow, she’d think about all of this tomorrow. All she wanted to do now was crash into her bed. 

 

Akio opened the door without stepping inside, just in case something else had been rigged to it in her absence. Nothing fell. 

 

With a sigh of relief, she stepped inside and closed the door behind her. Hopefully the nightmares would be kind enough to let her rest for at least an hour, maybe more without interruption. 

 

After tucking herself into bed, Akio laid there, her body exhausted, but her mind racing. Thoughts of soft pale lips and the meaning behind the kiss didn’t allow her the solace of slumber. Growling, Akio flopped onto her stomach pulling a pillow over the back of her head. Maybe if it was darker, it would help. 

 

More than an hour passed with no success. 

 

A gentle knock sounded on the door. “Hey Akio, I brought your  dinner.”

 

Part of Akio was hoping it would be Indra, but perhaps it was better that it wasn’t. She got up, forcing her stiff muscles to move to unlock the door. 

 

Hawke handed her a plate and an eating utensil. “Want some company? What happened to your hand?”

 

Talking to anyone had to be better than being stuck with the unresolvable situation in Akio’s head. “Sure, I’d enjoy some company.” Akio looked down at the deep cuts on and around her knuckles, giving Hawke a reassuring smile. “Nothing, it’s fine.”

 

Hawke sat down in the corner with two plates of food that disappeared before Akio took a bite of hers. After eating about half, she set it aside. “Have things gotten any better, with my reputation?”

 

Based off of the piss earlier, Akio knew Chester hadn’t grown any closer to accepting her, but maybe some of the others had. Being weak like this had to ease a few, at least a little. 

 

Hawke dabbed his mouth with a napkin. “It’s gotten worse, actually. There’s been a lot of rumors going around too.”

 

“Even after I donated the last of the money I had on me to better the training grounds? That didn’t do anything?” Akio asked.

 

She wished she didn’t care about the others' views of her, but in order to get past the hate, Akio needed to prove herself to the group and earn their respect. 

 

Hawke shook his head. “That was passed off as a public display to buy their affections, it made them hate you more.” 

 

Akio threw up her hands, flopping onto her back on the bed. “What do they want from me?” 

 

“They want you to: die, stay crippled forever so they can beat you to death, turn yourself into the government and die, and well. . . I think you get the idea. That’s the sort of reaction at least half of the group has when you are brought up.” Hawke sighed. “I just don’t get it. They’ve never reacted this way to any new member before.” 

 

Rolling onto her stomach, Akio looked over at Hawke. “Have you ever had a rogue weapon join before me?” 

 

“Well no, I suppose we haven’t,” Hawke said, adjusting his ponytail. 

 

Akio nodded. “I’ve spent most of my life being treated like a ticking bomb, this isn’t entirely new to me. I’m just worried that if it doesn’t change, that will fall apart. There has to be something I can do.” 

 

A device in Hawke’s pocket chirped, he picked it up, looking down at the screen of the mini holopad. “I have to go. Just, be careful, Chester isn’t the only one who wants you dead.” 

 

Somehow, Akio needed to prove, not only to the vigilantes, but to herself that she belonged here. There had to be a way, and she intended to find it. Akio wouldn’t give up, she'd get up and keep trying, not for them, not for her, but for Indra. 

 

….. ….. ….. ….. …..

 

From that point forward, therapy became easier. Save for the occasional dysfunction of the gear, Akio felt stronger than she had in awhile.

 

After a month, she was able to resume some basic strength training. The circuit she was allowed would’ve been easy for her past self, but the amount of time she had struggled to simply walk made it difficult. 

 

For the first week, she couldn’t get past the second circuit. 

 

Now, on week four of the circuit, Akio made it to the fourth. It rotated between jumping jacks, burpees, pull-ups, fifty push-ups, and a two minute plank. This would be the first time she actually made it to the finish. 

 

Breathing deeply, she lowered herself toward the floor repeatedly, getting the closest to it that she could manage.

 

Twenty, twenty-five, thirty, forty, forty-five, fifty. 

 

Akio’s chest heaved when she repositioned herself into the plank, counting the seconds. If she could hold it for the entire time, she’d be cleared to do more, to work harder and regain her strength. It felt amazing. 

 

Her abdomen burned fiercely from the exertion, her weary muscles trembling like a plant in a storm. One more minute. She could hold it for one more minute. 

 

Others moved around the gym, intentionally avoiding her while they used the surrounding equipment. It was better than before. Just two weeks ago several members had attacked her during a session, which was why Indra had decided it would be safest for Eris and her to accompany Akio until she was strong enough to defend herself. 

 

The members were punished, but it didn’t stop the murderous glint in their eyes. 

 

One hundred forty-five, fifty, fifty-five. 

 

Akio’s arm gave out, but she caught herself with the cybernetic, shaking out her natural arm and putting it back. Sixty.

 

Collapsing onto her stomach, Akio rolled to her back and grabbed her water bottle, taking a swig. She made it through the entire circuit. Maybe she wasn’t the strongest yet, but she certainly wasn’t weak anymore either. 

 

Eris offered a hand and pulled Akio to her feet. “You did it! Now go do the entire circuit again.”

 

Akio’s brows shot up. “Are you serious?” 

 

Akio had just barely gotten through the fourth circuit, she didn’t think she could do a fifth. Her limbs were like jelly, all she wanted to do was lay down and sleep. 

 

With a laugh Eris slapped her on the back. “No. Why would I ask you to do it once when you can do it three times?” 

 

Akio coughed. “Three more circuits?”

 

“Don’t listen to the Lizzassed starshit,” Indra said, walking across the room from her stool. “You’ve done enough for today, we can add more things to the circuit starting tomorrow. In addition, you need to retrain your combat abilities. Make sure to warm up, I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

 

Indra turned about, leaving quickly. She never stayed around long enough to talk. How much longer would she be thinking about what happened? Or had she already reached a conclusion she didn’t want to share?

 

Tomorrow morning, Akio would ask. It had been almost two months since they shared the kiss and she had to know where Indra stood. Akio needed an answer. 

 

“Make sure to prepare yourself. Indra may seem weak, but she’s actually really difficult to spar with,” Eris declared walking with Akio back to her room. “She’s wiped the floor with my ass more than once.” 

 

Akio didn’t say anything, too lost in thought about how she was going to broach the subject with Indra and when. Should she ask before they spar or after? Before would probably make things awkward, depending on the outcome. After would be best, that way if it didn’t end well, they could part ways and have time to cool off. Not that Indra would be likely to get heated over th—

 

A door impacted hard with Akio’s face as it slammed open. 

 

“I don’t care if the weapon says she’s one of us, someone like that can never be trusted. Six could be waiting for the moment to kill us all in our beds,” Chester spat, clearly in an argument with someone. “That’s why I have to--”

 

He paused when he noticed Eris standing there, and went back into his room as a Draken and Lizz skittered off down the hall. Both were fuming. 

 

“I don’t want to imagine what that was about. It doesn’t surprise me that he’s planning something. It’s why I’m training, right? To protect myself,” Akio said, looking at Eris with a sad smile.

 

Eris growled, smoke puffing out of her nostrils. “You shouldn’t have to fight against those on the same side. I don’t know why Haim hasn’t kicked him out. It’s clear the starshit won’t be accepting your presence anytime soon!” The words were intentionally loud, it was clear Eris wanted Chester to hear them. She wanted a fight. 

 

The door slammed back open. 

 

Chester narrowed his glowing red eyes. “You will never understand, Eris. You still have your family. What Six took--” he choked, turning to face Akio. “Every time I look into your face I see them dying. Your presence here is torment.” 

 

“If it makes you feel any better, I see them every night. I may not remember their names, but I’ll never forget their faces,” Akio said quietly. “I don’t expect you to forgive me. I’ll never forgive myself. But, I really do want to make a difference and fight against those that made me into a weapon.” 

 

“Do you really think I’m going to believe that? Lies are what you’re trained to do.” Chester shook his head, curling his scaled hands into fists. “Be smart and never show your face to me again. I only want to see you dead.” 

 

The door slammed shut as he disappeared back into his room. 

 

“Was that a death threat? We should go to Haim,” Eris declared, starting down the hall. 

 

Akio grabbed her by the arm and stopped her. “No. He said he wanted to see me dead, not that he would kill me. If we get him in trouble for expressing his feelings, it’ll only make the tensions worse. Half the troop already hates me, I don’t need that.” 

 

Hesitantly, Eris nodded. “If that’s what you want. I’ll ask Bolivar to watch your door for the rest of the week. He’s a trained bodyguard, he knows what to look for.” 

 

Akio shrugged. “I don’t think that’s necessary, but if it would make you feel better, that’s fine.” 

 

Even though Akio acted nonchalant, part of her was glad to not be left alone while still less than half-strength. Anyone here could easily overpower her, the thought terrified her. Especially after she experienced the beating a few weeks ago. But now, she was stronger than she was then, and she would continue getting stronger until she could mop the floor with even Indra’s ass. 

 

….. ….. ….. …… ….. ….. …..

 

Falling through the air once again, Akio landed with a thud. 

 

Indra twirled the green glowing bow between her fingers, fluidly stepping back into a fighting stance. “Don’t fight with your eye, your right side is blind. Fight with your other senses. What you can see is limiting you. Again.” 

 

Indra had no idea just how much what Akio saw was limiting her. The loose fitting black pants and crop top Indra wore were probably the most visually distracting thing in the room. Stars. Akio needed to focus. Why did Indra have to be so. . . well, hot?

 

It was strange to feel this attraction. Akio had never experienced it before, and she was glad she hadn’t. Imagine trying to accomplish all she had while drooling over her instructor. Stars. 

 

Akio grabbed her pink glowing bow and got to her feet. Okay. Focus on the other senses, the sensation of the weapon in her hands, the gently cushioned floor on her bare feet. The slight chill prickling her natural skin. The sound of Indra’s calm breathing. 

 

Stepping back into a planted stance, Akio inhaled deeply through her nose and exhaled through her mouth. 

 

Listen for Indra’s breathing, her movements. 

 

With her eye still closed, Akio spun on her heel, doing a low sweep in the direction of where Indra was standing a few feet away. She then did another turn, leaping backwards with the momentum, trying to land a hit on Indra’s bow. 

 

The resounding clank indicated a hit. Akio opened her eye to see Indra quite surprised behind her. Akio’s bow was in a stance between her shoulder blades while Indra’s was out in front of her at an angle. 

 

“That was a strange way to attack. Backwards? Nice one,” Indra said with the ghost of a smile. 

 

Akio beamed, satisfied with her small victory. It was after more failures than she cared to count. “I thought that might throw you.” 

 

The gym stood empty, since it was already lunch hour. Now would be the best time to ask. 

 

“Have you had time to--think?” Akio asked, retracting her bow back into its handheld state with a click of the button in the center. 

 

Indra cocked her head to the side for a moment.“Think? About?” Recognition filled her features. “Oh, that, well, yes and no. I’m not sure how to feel about it.”

 

When Akio was about to step forward and put her bow away, searing pain shot up her side, making the cybernetic leg collapse. She fell forward, knocking Indra to the ground beneath her. Akio caught herself on her natural arm. 

 

Neither said anything for the next few awkward moments. 

 

Heat rose up the back of Akio’s neck and to the tips of her ears. Her oi’ek pulsed multi-colors of mixed emotions, though the most dominant of all was the pale pink of embarrassment. “I-I’m sorry, the cybernetic gave out. I didn’t do this on purpose.” 

 

“Then why haven’t you moved yet?” Indra asked, her chest rising and falling rapidly. 

 

Akio immediately pushed herself off, putting more weight on her natural side to avoid the possibility of falling a second time. 

 

Indra got up quickly, brushing herself off and grabbing a large sweater from the bench. She pulled it over her head, then retrieved her cane, fiddling with the handle. “About the, um, kiss, it’s nothing against you. I just don’t think I can stomach beyond a certain amount of physical intimacy. And I’m worried that if we pursue this, that it will go places I can’t.” 

 

“I’d respect whatever boundaries you have, if we had one,” Akio stated quietly. “But I understand if you don’t want to pursue this.” 

 

“You can’t say it didn’t throw you when I wanted more and then stopped.” Indra let out a humorless laugh. “There’s weeks when my skin crawls and I can’t bear the idea of anything against my skin.” 

 

Her lip turned up in disgust as she fiddled with her cane, drawing the sword, and putting it back. The entirety of Indra’s body was trembling. “Living permanently in darkness makes others think I’m weak and defenseless, and for a time I was. Something happened that I can’t forget, before I learned to fight back. That kiss, brought it back. I spent the rest of the night throwing up.” 

 

Akio swallowed, at a loss for words as she watched silent tears fall down Indra’s cheeks. 

 

“Can you be in a relationship with someone you might never be able to do more with than hold her hand? Or maybe hug once a month? I can’t promise anything else, and even that can be too much.” Indra inhaled a shuddering breath and turned to leave. “You know what, don’t answer. I don’t want to know. At least this way I can pretend you would’ve said yes.”

 

“You should stick to training with Eris from now on. I have things to do,” Indra stated, not allowing any time for a response as she fled the room. 

 

Akio stared after her, frozen in place, still processing what just happened. But she knew if Indra had given her time, she would’ve said yes. 

 

….. ….. …… …… ……. ……. …….. ……. ……

 

Another two months went by with Akio training every day to regain her strength. Her body ached, and the cybernetics seemed to continue fighting against her, though it wasn’t nearly as painful as before. 

 

“Come on, land a punch, you’re too slow,” Eris taunted, bouncing from side to side in the sparring area. 

 

Akio panted, placing her hands on her knees. They had been at this for hours now. Having five surges scattered throughout the sparring session certainly didn’t help her energy levels. As awkward as it was, Akio needed to find Indra and have her scan the cybernetics. 

 

“If you don’t land a punch, it’s five laps around the mansion for you,” Eris stated with a wicked sneer. 

 

Oh stars, not more laps. 

 

Repositioning herself, Akio met Eris’ gaze. “Bring it.” 

 

Akio dodged the first onslaught of blows by doing a shoulder roll to the side and then blocking with her arm, the side of her leg, and arm again. 

 

The routine repeated until Eris had nearly pushed her off the edge of the mat with a side kick to the gut. 

 

Coughing, Akio regained her balance, cussing at herself for letting a blow slip under her defenses. If she fell off the mat, it would be over, and she would be running five laps. Akio hated running. 

 

She sprang forward, doing a shoulder roll to dodge another attack, and met Eris’ next kick with her own.

 

She hooked the leg used for the block beneath Eris’ knee, and propelled herself into the air with her standing leg, releasing, and delivering a spinning kick to Eris’ ribs. 

 

Not giving the LizzDraken a chance to recover, Akio turned around, leapt into the air, and delivered an uppercut, grabbed Eris’ arm on the way down and threw her off the mat upon landing with the gained momentum.

 

“Ha! No laps for me today,” Akio spat, her chest heaving from the effort of the fights. 

 

One out of thirty? Better than yesterday. It wasn’t a good score, but it was better than zero. 

 

“Starshit, you didn’t need to hit so hard,” Eris groaned, still laying on the floor. 

 

Did Akio hurt her?

 

Quickly rushing over, Akio stumbled over herself as her leg shut down, ending up on the floor beside Eris. “This damned cybernetic, stars!” 

 

“Why haven’t you fought that hard for the other rounds?” Eris asked, sitting up and holding her jaw. 

 

Akio grimaced, the surge shooting up her side. “I didn’t want to hurt you.”

 

Eris punched her in the arm. “You‘ve been holding back on me, that’s an insult. I want you to fight full on everytime, if you don’t that sours the victories.”

 

“Fine. I promise to stop holding back, as long as you can take it,” Akio said with a taunting smile. 

 

Rolling her eyes, Eris huffed. “I’m the strongest fighter here, don’t ever go easy on me.”

 

Akio stood up after her leg finally started working. “Wanna go again?”

 

“Hell yeah.” 

 

The two sparred for another few hours, finally evening the score to thirty for Akio and thirty for Eris. After the final round, Akio’s arm and leg shut off, their power flickering. Eris, helped Akio to the infirmary after contacting Indra.

 

Akio stared at the floor as a scan was run over her body, checking the fusion, the circuitry, and general functionality of the cybernetics. 

 

“Nothing is showing up in the scans. It’s fully fused, and reads normal. How long has this been happening?” Indra asked, her hands tracing over the brail readings of the screen. She paused over one section, feeling over it again. “Huh, that’s weird.”

 

Akio watched Indra’s repetitive movement. “What is it?” 

 

“The main circuit board has been receiving some interesting information. I need to look into this further, it may be the root of the problem.” Indra continued feeling over the same spot. “You may go now, thank you.”

 

This was the first time Akio had seen Indra in two months. It was strange to see her businesslike. “Could we talk?” 

 

“No, I’m busy. You may go,” Indra spat, her tone clipped. 

 

Without argument, Akio got up and left the room. Maybe she just needed more time, or perhaps this was the new normal. It was like Indra had allowed Akio a glimpse of who she was before slamming the door and locking it with chains. 

 

For now, Akio would focus on continuing to regain her strength. Maybe someday her and Indra could at least be friends. Even if Akio secretly longed for more. 

 

….. ….. ….. ….. 

 

Another two weeks passed. The training grew harder and closer to the level Akio had been prior to her injury. Her sparring with Eris had become like a spectator sport to some of the vigilantes. The two fought at speeds most could only hope to attain. 

 

The final match of the day became so heated, that Eris had managed to sear the wall with her fire and send spectators running. It wasn’t the only thing that got damaged. 

 

Haim was not pleased and made both Eris and Akio repaint the entire gym as punishment for the damages they caused. Which, of course, resulted in a bigger mess. 

 

Akio still stood by the belief that Eris started the paint war, even though the true cause was the ‘accidental’ glob Akio had splattered on the LizzDraken’s face. 

 

It didn’t seem to matter how much scrubbing Akio did, the paint didn’t want to come out of the carpet. 

 

Eris snickered from across the room, covered almost entirely from head to foot in white paint. “Twas a glorious battle. I just wish Haim would let us use the good cleaning products.”

 

Akio continued scrubbing to no avail. “There’s better products? Because this certainly isn’t working.” 

 

“Yeah, they’re hidden in his office. If used wrong, they can be dangerous,” Eris stated, pausing for a moment and looking up at Akio. 

 

It was as if in that moment, their thoughts connected, coming to the same conclusion. “We need to break into Haim’s office.”

 

The two threw the rags into the buckets of off-brand cleaner, and crept down the hall, backs pressed to the wall, and hiding behind statues. Their footfalls were silent, even their breathing was controlled enough to be unnoticable. 

 

When they finally stood outside of Haim’s office door, Eris looked at Akio from the opposite side, and signalled for her to go first, before she dropped into a low crouch. 

 

Akio nodded, inching the door open and stepping inside the unlit office. It didn’t appear that Haim was present. “It’s clear,” she whispered back to Eris who joined her. 

 

The office chair turned around, Haim rose a brow, and clasped his paws together. “Nice try. Go back and clean the gym.” 

 

With an exasperated sigh, Eris led the way back to the messy room. Both spent the rest of the evening scrubbing. 

 

…… …… …… ……. …….. ……..

For the first time in months, Akio entered the mess hall. It wasn’t that she couldn’t have walked to it on her own, but both Eris and Indra agreed it wouldn’t be wise for her to interact with the rest of the group in such an unguarded setting until she was strong enough to defend herself. Now that she mopped the floor with Eris’ ass, it was no longer a concern. 

 

Akio stood patiently in line behind ten others, without anyone guarding her. It was oddly terrifying. Her hearts raced as she continued to acknowledge the body language and movement of the others in the room around her. 

 

Two tables to the right, five vigilantes watched her every movement. In front of her, she occasionally caught glances that wafted hatred. What made it worse was that everyone in this room knew about her condition, that if she bled, without her pills she could die. At least in her past life, her file was secret. Now an entire planet knew her weakness. 

 

Akio let out a long breath, trying not to focus on her group mates as potential threats. . . even if they were. They deserved the benefit of a doubt. But if they stepped out of line, she was capable and shoving them back into place. No one, not even those who claimed to fight for the same side would be allowed to get a hit on her unscathed. 

 

A whoosh of air alerted Akio to the first attempt. She raised her cybernetic arm and blocked the punch with a resounding clang, then flicked it around to grab the arm of the attacker and pin it behind their back. 

 

The Gebul cried out, trying to squirm out of her grip. “Let me go, bitch.” 

 

“You’re the one who attacked me, nice to see you again, Devin,” Akio hissed at the much taller red and black Gebul. “Unlike you, I don’t plan to send anyone to the infirmary.” She shoved him forward, releasing his arm. 

 

The bastard had been part of the group that beat on Akio during her early stage of recovery, one of the many she expected to attack her. If not for the damned rules, she would pay him back right here and now. 

 

Pain shot through Akio’s spine, and she crashed into the table, food splattering all over her clothes. She met the next kick, blocking it with her leg. 

 

A Draken Akio didn’t recognize sneered down at her, their golden robes swishing as they stepped back, daring her to fight back. 

 

Akio had no intention of letting that hit go without retaliation. She grabbed the plate of food already ruined from her hand in it and threw it at their face. 

 

Chaos broke out as food and punches were thrown throughout the mess hall. 

 

Five or more attacked Akio in unison. She dodged, blocking, and throwing punches back. Several hits connected regardless, impacting with her stomach, spine, and face as the amount of attackers grew in size. 

 

A shrill whistle sounded through the room, making everyone stop and cover their ears. 

 

Akio heaved, blood dripping down the side of her face. What in the stars' names did she need to do to stop this from happening again? It seemed like every time Haim’s back was turned, there was another fight. 

 

Respect. Somehow, she needed to earn their respect. But if fighting among members was against the rules. . .

 

Akio ran through the mess to the table where Bolivar and Eris sat, surprisingly unaffected by the fight that occurred. “Eris, I have an idea but I need your help.” 

 

….. ….. ….. …. ….. …..

Night fell over the cavern. Any place untouched by the artificial light was plunged into complete darkness, which made sneaking out that much easier. 

 

Unbeknownst to Haim, Eris and Akio had arranged for a fight, to settle all grievances once and for all. They journeyed to an unused part of the cave, far from the mansion and prying eyes. 

 

If the disgruntled vigilantes wanted a fight, Akio would give them a fight. When she proved to them and herself that she was no longer the weak, hobbling Se’li, they would respect her. 

 

This needed to happen. For them, for her, for everyone. Maybe after they got the violence out of their system, there would finally be peace in the mansion. 

 

Akio let out a long breath, adjusting her light, black armor as several footfalls echoed in the cavern behind her. Hopefully this would work, and she didn’t die. She shook the thought away. She was stronger now, there was no way she would lose. 

 

“I’m looking forward to this,” Eris whispered, cracking her knuckles. “I’ve been wanting to kick some of these starshits asses since they started being aggressive.” 

 

“You didn’t tell the others, right?” Akio asked, keeping her voice hushed when Eris turned on her glowing bow. 

 

“Those goodie goodies? Stars no, they’d shut it down. I made sure to provide a distraction for Bolivar, he’s too protective sometimes, but I suppose that makes sense, it’s his job,” Eris stated with a sigh. 

 

Akio turned on her glowing bow, allowing the light to help guide her further into the cavern. Part of her was relieved to know that there would be no interference, but the other part knew this idiocy could have a bad outcome. 

 

Once they were far enough into the cavern, Eris lit several lanterns with her fire, setting them around the large, round space. “Okay you starshits, here’s how it’s going to work: you can use any weapon of your choice, except spikes, electricity, and knives. If I catch any of you cheating and pulling any of those, I will burn your hand so bad you won’t be able to use it anymore, got it?” 

 

Unhappy murmurs sounded through the fifty present, but they nodded. 

 

Eris stepped into the center of the room, twirling her bow theatrically like a ringmaster. “This is one on one, you get two free hits before Akio is allowed to attack you back, since she has enhancements and most of you do not. If you’re on the ground for more than ten counts, you lose and we move on. Who’s first?”

 

“I am,” a familiar voice stated before stepping out of the crowd. 

 

Chester wore black plated armor that covered him entirely, save for a single ungloved hand, and his head. “I want the first fight.” 

 

Of course he did. It was finally time to settle this, then they could move forward. 

 

Akio retracted her bow, stepping into the center of the room and calming her breathing. “You get two hits. Hit me.”

 

Chester disappeared into the surroundings. His metal covered fist connected with Akio's face. Then he grabbed her by the oi’ek throwing her to the ground, the impact echoing throughout the cave. 

 

Blinding pain shot up Akio’s spine in unison with the pounding of her oi’ek.

 

Akio rolled to her stomach and sprang up, only to have a surge travel up her leg and bring her to her knees. Pain shot through her skull as her face was slammed into what she assumed was Chester’s knee, over and over. 

 

She pulled out of it, kicking him in the side and got to her feet. Akio wiped the blood from her brow, closing her eyes and listening for his movement in the cave to aim her next attack. 

 

A skittering sounded to her right, she raised her natural arm and blocked it. Preparing to send her own attack in response. Her cybernetic arm jerked backwards. Akio screamed as it pulled at the muscles it was fused with and ground against the socket. 

 

What in the stars?

 

A kick landed on her side, throwing her to the floor. 

 

Akio grabbed the cybernetic arm, her hand trembling as she forcefully yanked it back into the proper position. There were surges, it had shut off before, but that was nothing like this. What was going on? 

 

A ringing sounded through the cave. Eris stepped away, her eyes still focused on Akio with concern. “Oh hey Indra, what’s up? Fighting, Akio? No, what would make you think that?” 

 

Chester’s camouflage wore off, and Akio used the opportunity to send an onslaught of quick, calculated attacks. A side kick, punch to the gut, uppercut, elbow to the ribs, and an axe kick to the shoulder that threw him to the ground. 

 

The Lizz skittered to his feet before she could finish him, typing something into a device Akio hadn’t seen in his hand until now. 

 

Her cybernetic leg twisted, pulling the muscles of her glutes and back so tight it felt as though they would snap. Akio gasped, losing her balance and catching herself with her hands. Was. . . was Chester doing this? 

 

The ear piece Akio had crackled to life. “Why the fuck are you fighting? Someone is hacking you. I’m trying to counter hack and make something to stop it. Just hold on Akio.”

 

Hacking? Cybernetics can be hacked? Akio inhaled sharply, the realization dawning on her like a punch to the gut. She could be hacked. Akio could be used as a weapon to kill anyone a hacker wanted. 

 

She coughed as kicks impacted with her stomach, over, and over. 

 

Starshit. 

 

“Okay, this is over,” Eris declared, stepping forward, only to be blocked off from Akio by others. “It’s going too far.” 

 

The instant Akio’s leg moved back into its proper position, she threw a punch to Chester’s solar plexus and tried to grab the device from his hand, but he was too fast and ran to hide in a corner as several other vigilantes ran forward. 

 

So that’s how it was.

 

If they were going to cheat, Akio wouldn’t hold back. She intended to show them just how dangerous she could be. 

 

She charged for the incoming crowd, hitting their weakest points: behind the knees, back of the neck, eyes, face, crotch, and took out ten within seconds. 

 

Chester continued messing with her cybernetics, but Akio expected it now, using the weird positions and pain to her advantage. When her leg twisted back, she turned around and used it on a rear attacker. 

 

When a surge traveled up her body, she electrocuted anyone she came into contact with. 

 

After what seemed like forever, the cybernetics stopped fighting against her. 

 

“I got up what I was working on, we’re on our way,” Indra’s voice cracked in her ear. 

 

Akio’s chest heaved as a mixture of sweat and blood dripped down her body, some hers, some others. 

 

There was something she needed to do before they arrived. Whirling around she narrowed her eyes at Chester. “You little starshit. How long have you been fucking with me?” 

 

She grabbed him by his arm before he could run and slammed him into the cave wall. “How long, Chester!” 

 

Akio punched him in the face and stomach, over and over, until he spat blood. She refrained from using her cybernetic arm, even though he deserved it. “How long have you been hacking my cybernetics, you little worm?” she growled, throwing him to the ground. 

 

He whimpered, hiding behind his arms. “Ever since the new ones were installed. Pl-please don’t kill me.” 

 

Akio kicked him in the gut, and grabbed him by his shoulder. “I made a vow never to kill again, and I never will.” 

 

She dropped him on the ground. “Never fuck with me again. I’m done trying to please starshits like you. I’ve moved on. It’s time you do too.” 

 

Akio limped over to where Eris stood, the other fifty were on the ground, groaning at their feet. 

 

Haim and Indra ran into the room with a group of thirty armed vigilantes behind them. 

 

Haim sucked in a breath. “What the fuck were you doing?” 

 

Spitting lavender blood on the floor, Akio looked over at Haim, her entire body trembling from exertion. “Earning respect.” 

 

Sharp pain shot through the side of Akio’s head when a cane impacted with it, before Indra threw her arms around Akio’s aching, and bleeding body. “Never do something so stupid again.”

0