19- The Book
45 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The dragon looked much bigger than before, her figure towering over them. Her wings were transparent, magic must have grown them. They were covering the complete sky. Sasha frowned, looking around.

“Since both of you seems to have a sudden memory loss I will refresh you”, Denise said. The dragon wings fluttered in the warm evening, the smell of apples and cakes blending, the still air suddenly turning rough. “You Sasha have caught the attention of the king’s guards.”

“Always the popular”, Sasha muttered.

“Your dear friend has to go back to the bakery and pretend we just about left”, Denise said.

Evelina squeezed her hand hard. Sasha squeezed hers just as hard.

“Do not worry Evelina. I will not let them capture us. Tell them we were going to the labyrinth. That will keep them occupied.”

“I will throw confusion dust in their eyes and have them searching the underground for days”, Evelina promised, a smile forming on her lips.

“And the ones that survives the labyrinth will make a nice meal for my dragons”, Sasha whispered back. “No go!”

Denise moved forward, shrinking each time her wings fluttered. Reaching Sasha she sat down on her shoulder.

“They will search the complete area, you know.” Denise said and folded her wings, her figure now petite and small, and the claws soft as silk.

“I know”, Sasha said. She put her hand on the sword. “I will not go down without a fight. I will slam this right through them.”

Her sword felt good in her hand, as a long lost friend, hugging her, fitting every curvature. She could almost feel the magic wanting to escape to the sword, giving her the advantage of a witch.

“If he hadn’t locked my magic away I would have won easily”, Sasha said.

The dragon snickered, her tongue sizzling close to Sasha’s ear as she rubbed herself against her chin.

“You will not go down. You are with me. Just be quite and watch.”

There was a soft pink smoke settling down around them. Sasha lifted a hand and petted Denise´s head.

Three men were coming through the backdoor, all of them having the emblem of the king. She recognised one of them, taller than most, and stupid as few. He had been present in the village. He had a heavy blunt sword, but it would take far too long for him to reach it. She could cut him in two before he had the chance.

“I hate him”, she whispered.

“Stay still”, Denise ordered. She blew out a breath of dragon smoke, whispering sounds at snake language, hissing and pouring more smoke over the backyard.

The men went around, talking to each other, obviously still unaware of Sasha and Denise.

“Look”, Sasha said, not being able to hold back. Denise hissed at her.

Out of the backdoor came Elias. He walked slowly and smelled the air, his yellow eyes seemed to pierce through Sasha and she took a step forward. Denise stuck her claws in her shoulder. Sasha grimaced and stilled.  He was obviously alive and didn’t need her to check on him. That would have been real stupid, walking straight to the lion’s den. She was pretty certain he wouldn’t walk her back to her mother.

Denise blew out more smoke. She whispered so low Sasha almost didn’t hear her. Oddly enough, when she just captured some syllables, what she heard was almost human, as if Denise was singing on an old rhyme her mother used to sing to her and Ivy when they were children.

“This is waste of time, I bet she is already down there hunting monsters”, the big guy said.

Elias shook his head.

“And why Argon, would she be hunting monsters?”

“That’s what I do when I have spare time”, Argon answered.

His friends laughed. Sasha squeezed the sword. She liked to hunt Argon. That was what she did in her spare time. Freeing the world from bastards, and this one was really just a big, lazy, egoistic killing machine. She would do the world a favour. Denise could fix the mess.

“Still Sasha”, Denise muttered. “Elias is clever. I will not be able to deceive him if you are fussing.”

“You two”, Elias said pointed at Argon and one of his companions. “Search the labyrinth, and if you see her, just keep watch and inform me. Do you understand that Argon?”

“You already lost her once”, Argon started. “I say we better…”

“Any harm, and the queen will personally kill you. Do I make myself clear?” Elias hissed.

Argon nervously flickered, not wanting to look at Elias. He started walking around, searching each and every bush, touching the apple trees and looking up at the crowns.

“Are you looking for apples?” Elias said. “Bet you get more luck at the bakery.”

“Ah, I just thought we ought to search the place properly.”

“Argon. The dungeons! Just go. I will wait here, if she decides to come back.”

Sasha was sick of waiting. The garden was nice, but the only more errand she had in the city was the killing of her father and that was not yet due time. Looking at Elias she smiled, it was time to move on, and she had a gift to Elias. She had prepared a potion, picking flowers and mumbling phrases from old witchcraft.

She moved silently closer, Denise whispering and the soft grass bending underneath her feet. Elias didn’t move. He stood there, looking at the entrance, he didn’t turn around. Sasha halted, she was close now. She inhaled his sent, standing still and slowly, so slowly leaning in closer. It would have been easier if she could have poured it into a drink, and even wiser if she just would have left. Instead she had to blow the fine powder at him, spreading dust in the air around him. It would so be worth it.

“Let’s move out of this town, it’s pretty full of the king’s men”, Sasha said, petting the snake dragon that sat on her shoulder. “Thanks for saving me. I am not sure what you’re whispering are doing but, thanks.”

“Its old magic. I whisper to their minds, letting their brain rest and fill in the area we were in with the background. You humans do think too much and really just should rest. I could make the town disappear if you want?”

“Cool. Could you learn me how?”

“If you live long enough, and take enough classes in magic. But as of now you are just a new born baby, your magic level pretty hilarious.”

“I´m a fast learner.” Sasha gulped, looking around. She couldn’t believe it. The old snake was bragging. The town had disappeared, and around her was just an open field with grass. “You are kidding me.”

“Just a bit baby girl. I can give you some classes as soon as you unlock what you have inside of you.”

“I have given the magic back to Evelina. It should be available”, Sasha tried to reach it, closing her eyes, the sight of the field disturbing her. “Nope, it doesn’t answer.”

“Elias probably put another criterion this time.” Denise said, and clicked her tongue, “just as I thought.”

The world around her came back, the town just as loudly as before. Sasha started to walk again.

“We have a day to walk, or we try to find a horse”, she said. “I want to go back to the village. I hope to find a book in the ashes of our house.”

“I eat horses for breakfast, I have a better idea”, Denise said.

She jumped down from Sasha’s shoulder. The small dragon snakes wing turned bigger, almost the size of Sasha. It looked ridiculous, the snake body hanging in the air.

“Can you ride?” Denise asked.

“Well, I probably will crush you”, Sasha said.

“I have tanked fuel, I can afford growing”, Denise said, and by that, the ten inch creature grew into a snake twice the size of Sasha.

She was beautiful, her long black body covered with scales glittering in the colours of the rainbow, and the pink wings having crests of black. The small horns were now magnificent long sceptres in red. Just the eyes were still the same dark blue.

“Well, jump on, the flight is leaving and you seem to have a ticket.”

Sasha sat down at the snake back, where Denise kindly enough had bended her body to a perfect saddle.  

She saw the missing house already from the sky. Where once a beautiful cottage has been, there was now just a big hole with black ashes. She couldn’t fathom this. Her mother had done this. Instead of fighting she had fled. Her strong mother had fled, like a coward she had turned her tail, burning her own home to the ground.

“It’s odd what we do for the ones we love”, Sasha said, pointing towards the ground, ushering Denise to land.

“To err is human, to forgive is divine”, Denise said.

She landed right in the middle of the grime. Black clouds of dust was spreading over the nearby area.

“Couldn’t have landed in the grass, could you?” Sasha complained and jumped off.

Denise looked baffled. She walked around in a circle and finally lied down in the bed she had done to herself.

“There is no book underneath me, I am sensitive to uneven beds”, Denise said. “If you prefer looking at the field I could arrange that. Otherwise I suggest you start to look around the old fireplace.”

Sasha stomped away, looking at the ground. How to find a black book in black ashes? If she just had her magic she would find the book in no time. Her fingers started to glow, she was searching the area, and although the place was burned down, she still felt the familiar feeling of home. There was still magic there! Underneath the ashes she could feel the orbs, buried in the ground, waiting for their owner. Less was wasted than she had feared.

“This place still feels like magic!” she exclaimed.

“Well it should”, Denise said. “There is a big black dragon sleeping in her nest. Of course it feels like magic dearest.”

Sasha rolled her eyes. Of course, she should have asked Denise. The dragon probably already knew where the book was. She walked towards the fireplace.

“Finally!”

Sasha turned around, almost at the fireplace when a voice from a man disturbed her. She looked at a magician, older than her, with a long black cape. He stood just outside the ashes, looking curiously at her. Waves of magic were pouring from his hands.

“Who are you, and stop that!” she said.

His magic was surrounding her, binding her to the spot.

“I am Dustin”, the man said, “and you must be the lovely Sasha.”

“Maybe, maybe not”, she answered. She didn’t like the look of the man, or the gleam in his eyes. Her hand was already on the sword handle, but her feet were stuck to the ground.

“No one of the fools in this village dares to tread the ashes. Off course you are her. But just to be sure.”

Winds of magic swirled around her. Sasha wielded her sword, but cut just air. She was not allowing this intruder to search her! The anger was boiling in her veins, and her vision blurred.

“You are her. Now, I want to know where your boyfriend is.”

“I don’t have a boyfriend”, Sasha stated. “And you have no right to stay in this village. We don’t need people like you here.”

The magician came closer, walking carefully at the ashes, obviously not keen on getting his shoes dirty. He was a fashion snob, buying stuff at the same place as the noblemen.

“I want to know where Isaak is, and you will tell me, or die. Do I make myself clear?”

“Isaak? And why do you want to know that?”

“Well, it’s not exactly a secret. The king has put a hefty sum of money at his head. I need to think of my retirement little witch”, Dustin said.

Sasha looked back towards Denise, but she was nowhere to be seen. She would have had a good chance with the sword, had Dustin just come a bit closer, and had he not been skilled in magic. Her grip tightened. She could throw it at him, at least she would hurt him badly.

“Just give me a reason”, Dustin said, forcing the sword out of her hand with some small movements of his hand, the magic obeying him and the wind turning against her in her own home. He was standing five steps away from her, still her sword hit the ground with a clunk. His magic was strong, stronger than Sasha’s had been, and she had not been a weak witch.

“You should have retired years ago. This is your biggest mistake.”

“Let me worry about Isaak”, Dustin chuckled. “I usually collect my money.”

“Isaak?” Sasha laughed. “No one threatens me and live.” She had no idea of how to fulfil her promise, but she despised the man in front of her. She would rather die than betray Isaak, and she had never before being bullied into anything. “You know who I am?”

“You? You are Isaak’s girlfriend”, Dustin said. “That’s enough for me. Now, I’m losing my temper with you young lady.”

He picked up the sword, his dirty hands on her belongings. Frustration teared at Sasha, her feet wouldn’t move and the damn dragon was nowhere to be seen. She was more chocked than afraid when she felt the tip of the sword at her breast.

“Are you threatening me?”

“Sorry mam”, Dustin said, forcing the sword forward. “but you will tell where Isaak is, and I will bring you along. My guess, I think you will make yourself useful.”

The sword actually cut her. Sasha marvelled before she circled away from it. He might have stuck her feet to the ground but she was not going to make it easy. She dropped down, moving forward to hit him on the knees but he was fast, moving backward, the sword still pointing in her direction. He laughed.

“This will be fun. I could force you to speak.” He lit up a small ball of fire in his hands just to crush it the second after. “Or, l could cut your skin. Let’s see how much you can withstand.”

Sasha felt a warm feeling inside, Elias orb heating up. Its magic was flowing towards the cut. Amazingly enough it healed her. Maybe she had a fair chance. She had no time to finish the thought before she saw the sword aiming at her again. The devil held her still with his magic, and the cut hurt. Her arm was bleeding, the cut deep.

“I will kill you”, she hissed between her teeth. The pain and rage welled up within her. Elias magic was good, but this wound would take time.

She needed her magic, and she needed to reach her knife, none of which seemed possible. It was not fair. She roared inside. Her inside exploded. The need to draw his magic inside of her was unbearable. That was when she saw it. She was in big trouble, but Elias magic was healing, and when in danger it did what it could to protect. 

Dustin cut her again, close to the last cut, but this time Sasha welcomed it. She drew in the threat, and felt the magic working with her. Dustin didn’t know what he had done. With one big smile she broke free. All of her magic was at her disposal. Sasha levelled and the pain just disappeared, her vision cleared. She no longer was a baby witch.

Sasha leaped forward, her hand catching the knife at her wrist. It was payback time. Dustin had a surprised look in his eyes. And before he had time to react, Sasha kicked at his arm, the sword hitting the ground.

“I don’t leave scars with my knife”, she whispered, cutting through his chest. “No one threatens my friends and live.”

He had no real chance. The man had never met violence like hers. Sasha put her force behind her knife, and the magic held the wound open, pulling out his soul.

“Bravo baby girl. You fight like a queen!”

“Denise”, Sasha said. She grimaced and hindered herself from turning around. “How come you waited until now to turn up?”

“I see you have an issue with waste deposal. Let me take care of that soul in your hands. I know where to trash it.”

“Well, it is kind of gross and makes me feel dirty”, Sasha said, squeezing the last part out of the body. “I guess I should apologise using too much force, but I really can’t muster the energy.”

She turned around then, looking at Denise. She had tilted her head, the blue eyes focused on the soul as she slowly whispered. The dragon sucked the energy inside her. Dustin left her hands as thin smoke as the dragon inhaled.

“His magic was stronger than yours. Had you been any slower I would have had to interfere”, Denise said as she swallowed the last smoke.

Sasha cleaned her knife, picking up her sword. The things she had done for Isaak. She could ask Denise to burn the man’s soul, but he was no threat any more. She looked at the big snake, the dragon was looking blissful, as if she enjoyed tasting some nice candy. Denise might be big and scary and knowing more magic that Sasha ever would. Still, Sasha was pissed.

“You let me fight to my death now, but you wouldn’t even let me scratch the knight at the bakery?”

“I didn’t want to blow Evelina’s cover. You had gone through too much to risk it.” Denise landed on the corpse. “Have to say, you really do fight good. I should have let you taken Aiden.”

“I could have had use for him now.”

“You never have use of a traitor”, Denise said. “He played foul. I have wanted him dead for years.”

“I´m no stranger to play foul” Sasha said. Aiden had a reputation. He had been working in the shadows, silently doing the dirty work. He never spilled his secrets, but there was some sort of glamour around him, probably coming from the talent he had and the money he spent. “What had he done to you?”

“You must have guessed he worked for the queen?” Denise questioned. The dragon landed on the corpse. She scratched at something in the ashes.

“Yeah. That explains the wealth.”

“He provided the queen and king with witches, but he was a greedy man with low standards. He took money from both sides. If you bribed him, he could change the target, providing the queen with the wrong witch.”

“Did he take part in Evelina´s kidnapping?” Sasha´s vision blurred. Her magic was running havoc, strikes of fire burning the already burnt ashes. Could one torture a corpse? She should ask the ghosts of Aliyah.

“Does the second crime make the first one smaller?” Denise questioned. “Or does it become worse, although it is less severe?”

Sasha shook her head. The snake was crazy, a fool was a fool and Aiden was better dead, as was the magician at her feet. Denise started to move, positioning herself around the corpse. The snake rocked from side to side.

“Catch this”, she said.

A black book was thrown to Sasha. It was flying in the air, and Sasha cached it with greed. The covers felt cold towards her hands, as the skin of a snake. This was a true treasure. This was what her mother didn’t want her to find.

“Thanks”, Sasha said.

“You are welcome”, Denise said, circling around the body. “You might want to look away.”

Sasha smiled, look away? She really wouldn’t like to miss the show. It was a rare occasion, seeing an old queen snake swallowing a human in one bite. As much as she trusted her, she was one scary dragon. Sasha eyed the scene, such a role model. There was just some shiny droplets of saliva in the corner of her mouth telling there had once laid a corpse on the ground.   

“Is there any chance a witch can grow wings?” Sasha asked.

Denise burped, scratching herself on the belly.

“No, not until you are dead at least.”

Such a pity. Sasha sighed and looked at the book that had brought her to this life altering question. It didn’t look much to the world. Still, it was a treasure with more value than all of the orbs that had hung around the house. Sasha brushed the book cover, the greyish worms on it predicting thunder. She opened the book, her fingers searching the words. She knew the precis page, her fingers found it on their own, as if they have been doing this many times before. There it was, the darkest of magic, turning witch magic havoc, destroying itself by madness. It was a pure spell, evil and divine, and so beautiful all on its own.

There was a way to kill the king, and she just had the right tools to do so. All she needed was a real strong spell caster. She knew exactly whom.

“Denise. We are done here. We are heading back to Ivy, and you will have to protect her.”

“Why, if I may ask?”

“I am going to fight.”

1