23- The moon witch
52 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sasha was stalking time, occupying herself until she could return to Greg. She had done the exact same thing before, hiding away, taking tasks from Esmeralda and trying to forget. This time was different. She had the misfortune to have assistance from the one she wanted to erase from memory. And at this very moment they were walking towards the witches forest, trying to collect ingredients fo a love potion. It was hilarious. Still she didn’t laugh. She had air aim clear in front of her. Grow strong enough to kill the king. This was just another obstacle along the way she had to endure. 

The forest of the moon witch were full of ghosts on the full moon. They looked almost like the mushrooms, white manlike things flowing around with red dots, and surprisingly solid upon interactions. Their main purpose in life were protecting the forest and its inhabitants. Tonight that meant they were on witch hunt. 

“One would assume they could spare some of the mushrooms”, Elias said. He pointed towards a fur. 

“Mark the place, and let’s keep on moving. I want to find at least two more before we start picking”, Sasha said.

The strategy was to find three good mushrooms. As soon as they started to pick them the ghosts would attack. Sasha preferred doing a quick grab and run and be out of the wood before the creepy creatures started trying to tear parts of her from her bones with their sharp teeth’s. 

“I always thought ghosts were fluffy things without a single  bone in their body’s”, Elias said. “Never guessed them to be so bloodthirsty.”

“You have to have sharp teeth's to eat you way through walls”, Sasha said. “They actually do not have bones thought. Only a lot of teeth’s.”

“Yeah, guess that’s why the give small kids nightmares.”

“No, I have been told that must be the poison in the mushrooms, they shouldn’t have walked this woods from start”, Sasha mused. “My mother brought me here when I was three.”

“And my mother told me to not pick fight with witches”, Elias told. “Guess we both are bad listeners.”

Sasha laughed. Yeah, she was as bad at listen as she was good at cutting ghosts to pieces. 

“I see two underneath the birch three. Which way out of this wood?”

“The straightest path is covered with ghosts. I say we go straight through, coming out in the back and then take a long way around the thing to get back”, Elias suggested.

“I tend to agree.”

Elias turned backwards, heading for the mushroom underneath the fur. 

“We shouldn’t take more then?” 

“No”, Sasha answered. “That would be greedy. We should be happy with these.”

She was following Elias with her gaze, her total body tensed and ready to pick the mushrooms as soon as she saw him go for it. If they were two picking at the same time it would initially confuse the ghosts, giving them some valuable seconds. 

With one hand on her sword, and the other one snatching up the two white and red mushrooms, she scanned the area. Three ghosts had spotted them, two of them deciding to try to cut off Elias way to freedom. Sasha ran for the path going further into the forest, slicing the ghost in front of her in two as she ran through it. 

“They are regenerating absurdly quick”, Elias shouted as he ran past her. “Hurry!”

“Look up in front of you!”

They had definitely chosen the wrong path. In front of them was a wall of moist and white sheets. Five ghosts were materialising, and the three they had sliced to pieces were starting to move. 

“Back to back, we have to fight them!” Elias shouted.

Sasha immediately moved over, all the time eyeing their opponents.

“We have to move together, towards the exit. They will wait, and become more. Never stand still with ghosts wheezing your neck.” Sasha started to move sideways, the sword close to her body. 

“Let’s rush to the open space in the sun, and then stop and cut them to pieces.”

They moved slowly, Sasha looked from the ghosts to the sun. It was a bit far, would they be able to reach it in time? 

“On three, and then back to back, immediately”, Elias said.

She never had time to think, Elias was already counting and she had to choose between fight them alone, or keeping up his space. 

“I fucking hate you”, she hissed, bouncing towards his back, and slicing open the first of the ghosts. 

“Love you too”, Elias said and she heard the ghosts fall around him. 

She had two of them far to close, feeling their breaths. They would tear a part of her off and she had no time. In a sudden bright idea she dropped to the ground. The ghosts were going for Elias neck. She had more or less no time, but she cut off both their legs. 

“No we run!” Sasha shouted.

They had slowed down the ghosts close by, but their roar would attract more. 

“Drain the salt, grow in earth”, Elias chanted.

They run shoulder to shoulder. None of them looked backwards. 

“What was that for?” She asked.

“It will slow them down, the regrowing going slower, bounding them to the place.”

“Ghosts at the way out! Change path or fight?” Sasha asked, pointing towards the two ghost blocking their path to freedom. 

“Fight!” Elias said. 

“Then fight we will.”

They ran straight towards them. Sasha bent down, picking up her knife instead of the sword. It was even odds, and she aimed at getting close, holding the sharp teeth’s at a distance. 

The ghosts were pure white and more solid than the previous. When they came closer Sasha regretted her choice of weapon but it was too late. They were tall. 

“These are not common ghosts. You aim high and I will go low.” Sasha said.

“I might have heard of these ones”, Elias said. “Whatever pain they inflict, just go for the meadow. They cant follow and I will heal you. Do not hesitate Sasha!”

Sasha had heard the rumours as well. This was going to hurt.

“Broken and sorry. I don’t know what you are coming from, but my knife will inflict dreams”, she felt the magic inside of her. The knife would probably be useless on them, but inflicted with some of her magic she could at least do some harm. 

When she moved, the ghosts moved, they mirrored their every move, hindering them from leaving the forest. 

Elias thrusted forward, his green sword hitting right through the stomach of the ghost. However solid the ghost looked, the sword ran just right through it without any harm at all. 

“Do us wrong and be slave to the wood for eternity”, the ghost laughed, grabbing Elias by the shoulder. 

“They are solid only when attacking!” Sasha shouted, running forward, pushing her knife in the waist of the ghost.

The ghost immediately backed of, dropping Elias. At the same time she felt the bite of the other one in her arm. It was aiming for her knife. Elias sword was brushed against her skin, cutting right through the chin of the ghost. 

Sasha shifted hand, holding the knife tight and running straight ahead at the first ghost. They would work in pair. She would force it to attack, and Elias would take the second round. 

Her knife sliced all the way through the ghost as well, as she bumped into the very solid body of it. She heard it scream and smiled. The magic tore at it from within and she really hoped the nightmare hurt. The ghost opened its mouth and went berserk on her shoulder. Sasha screamed.

Elias sword cut the ghost in two. The pain was making her eyesight blurry. 

“Run Sasha!” 

Elias grabbed her arm and pushed her forward. They heard the second ghost just inches behind them. Sasha held the knife tight. The meadow was so close. 

“Trust me.”

She heard Elias voice before she landed on the ground. He took the most of the hit, as he rolled them out off the wood, and into the open field. 

She saw the ghost disintegrate in the sun. It was a wonderful sight. 

“That was close”, she said. Her back to the ground, Elias at her side. 

“Does mushroom powder counts?” He asked.

“It does”, Sasha said. 

He picked up her hand, the warmth of his magic soothing. 

“I think we deserve some rest.”

“Yes. I do want to rest.”

The soft magic flowed in her body, singing its soft lullabies, taking the hurt away. Slowly mending what has been broken. 

”Good work rebel.”

2