Flawless 14
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That unfortunate head-stomping had also led to a slight change in Marian's behavior and attitude. When she'd heard that Kobal intended to dine with Andrea, she sent out an invitation to the E instead, requesting a formal dinner with the entire family.

And Gara, still with the intent of saving herself until she found a way to draw Midge out, invited herself along.

Andrea was sorry she had ever offered an invitation to Kobal in the first place. It would be one thing to share a dinner with someone, just one-on-one, but never in her wildest dreams would she have purposely entered into a dinner with her entire family.

Her father sat at the head of the formal dinner table, with Marian on the right and Dominic on the left. Andrea sat far at the other end, Gara opposite her. It was all for show because her father had no power. Though the patriarch sat at the head of the table, he said nothing and did nothing but sip his water or eat from his plate now and again.

Rene and Kobal had situated themselves at the other end, with Rene opposite Andrea's father. Kobal was to her right. Andrea dined beside Kobal, with Gara sitting across from him.

"So, Rene." Marian's voice was almost like a song—although to Andrea, it would always be a funeral dirge. "What are you doing now?"

As they talked, Andrea studied her mother. It was one of the few times that she could or would have an excuse to look at the woman. Marian looked young today. Andrea wondered if she might have been in a good mood. Lately, when her mother seemed less tormented, she appeared rejuvenated. Her face was still thin and gaunt, though, and prominent veins protruded on her bony hands that rested atop the table.

"I've heard you recently asked for a loan to start a business."

And then, quite reluctantly, Andrea forced herself to look at Rene. She could only stomach it for a moment; she had to look away for fear she'd stare. Rene's eyes were big—not completely buggy, but big. Being hazel green didn't help. Her long nose nearly hooked due to its size, and although her teeth weren't so bad, she did have a weak chin that gave her a constant overbite. That wasn't the most unattractive thing about Rene, though. That would have to be her posture, her sniveling voice, the way she'd whisper as if she were stupid. Her brown hair was tied back in a ponytail, which Andrea thought was ill-advised because the woman was losing her hair in the front.

Then it came, the nasal, high-pitched voice.

"Well, I...I...I, ah. Garbage."

She finally got the word out, but Marian's ghoulish face was blank.

"Sorry?" she said.

Kobal watched Rene with a proud smile, and when the woman tried to answer again but managed only a small whisper, he sat up to interject. "It's really a brilliant idea, ma'am. In fact, although I know it's poor form to do this at a formal dinner event," Kobal gushed, ready to come up out of his chair. "I'd like to ask that you consider it for your own facilities."

Marian's face indicated she was still confused.

Kobal continued, "Rene's method goes beyond just recycling as the Colony does. It's used in all walks of life, including, sometimes, food."

Gara choked on a sip of her water, but Kobal kept going like he hadn't noticed.

"The method leads to zero waste. Some of the techniques are being used in the Colony right now. Once they test it fully and give their approval, which I'm very sure they will, you'll find a handheld device in all Colony lodging. Right there, with Rene's name on it."

Dominic watched them with a smug smile and muttered as he picked up his cup, "So long as it's not her picture."

Andrea saw Kobal frown for the first time. To her shock, the E became serious.

"I'm sorry, Master Dominic. Did you say something?"

Marian waved Dom's remark off. "Don't mind him. If you have a diskette with any details, please leave it with us before you return home. I promise to look it over."

Kobal forgot his bitterness and smiled. "It will save you so much money, and they'll be taking off soon. So—"

"That's enough." Rene glanced to her E and whispered, "Enough already."

Face red from the reprimand, Kobal sat back and nodded. "Sorry."

The food laid out was an eclectic mix. Kobal looked down at his meager portion and at Andrea's equally small helping.

"Aren't you hungry, Mistress Andrea?"

"No," Andrea answered.

"She doesn't need the title 'Mistress.'" Marian's voice carried. "So please don't be so formal."

Ah, that was more like it. Andrea was wondering when the evil would come out. Her mother'd been quiet, almost civilized, to her for days. Behavior like that only put Andrea on edge.

Kobal glanced between Andrea and Marian and nodded. "Very well. So just Andrea is fine?" At the smile, he focused on Andrea's younger brother. "And Dominic—"

Andrea took some satisfaction in seeing her brother bristle.

"Did I make a mistake?" Kobal asked.

It was the widest smile Marian could manage. "Dominic's standing is solid."

"Well, this is rather confusing," Kobal said. "If it's all right with you, can I just go back to doing things the simple way?"

Gara reached across to take several portions of the E's meal away. Her action was met with a smile. "I know you don't need it," said Gara. "Right?"

Kobal bowed. "Not really, no." At the hush that fell over the room, he looked to Rene for guidance and saw the cold frown. "Darling, are you all right?"

Rene moved her hand away before it could be touched. "Do you two want a room?"

"Don't," Kobal whispered as he tried to eat. "Don't be silly. Can't we just have dinner without you making a scene?"

Seeing the eyes on her, Rene struggled to find a good retort, but she eventually gave up on her efforts and just kept her eyes on the table.

When Gara reached out to take more, Andrea shooed her away. "Stop it!"

"What?" Gara asked.

"You're embarrassing him. Cut it out," Andrea scolded.

Their short squabble died down when Marian's voice carried yet again. "So Mr. Kobal, what is your pedigree?"

"Pedigree? If you're asking about my background, I'll save you the further interest. I'm not only from two cultures, but I am, in fact, biracial. And both of my parents are from low-level backgrounds. Neither with formal education." At the silence that met his comments, Kobal seemed satisfied. "Is that what you're asking?" Andrea took note of the fact that Rene frowned, no doubt uncomfortable with having all of that information disclosed so casually.

Marian studied Rene and said, "I thought you were engaged. But that's not possible, I see."

"Oh no?" Kobal sat up. "And why's that?" he challenged.

"Do you know the laws of the wealthy, Mr. Kobal?" Marian asked, leaning back in her chair.

"I don't concern myself with them. Only the ones I have to enforce. I work for the Assembly. And as you know, those other nine E's and I serve as—"

"Lie detectors, yes."

"No. More than that. We're also the jury. We keep it balanced. Rich or poor, high-class or low-class, Yule or E—it's a fair trial."

"If they make it to a trial, sure."

"What does that mean?" Kobal asked, surprised.

"You didn't answer my question; do you know our laws?"

"Faintly."

"Then you'd know that with Rene here being the only child in her household, it is her responsibility to marry into more money and bear offspring. Her family has never deviated from her culture or race. They are very valuable—"

"And they are dying out," said Kobal, interrupting her. "There will come a time when 'purebloods,' as you so unwisely call yourselves, will have no way of breeding within the same racial or cultural sphere anymore. You will have to branch off."

"That I understand, and I agree. But most of us will go down with the ship, so to speak. She's responsible for her household. She must at least marry someone with some standing. That way she can secure her future."

"Her mind is her future," Kobal fired back, calm and measured. "Once the Colony stops viewing purebloods as antiques and sees them for the bloated, credit-sucking parasites some have become, they'll eventually have to earn their dollar differently. Bigotry is bigotry."

Marian sat up, and asked through clenched teeth, "Are you calling me a bigot?"

And a parasite. Andrea blinked, impressed by the majestic E's boldness.

Kobal mimicked her action; he was stern though polite. "Are you saying it is not bigotry to insist on 'preserving' a race?"

"We are living proof of the original settlers of this colony. The fact that our ancestors chose to marry of the same race and culture does not make us bigots. And now, as you've said, since potential spouses are getting hard to find, mixed children of the same culture aren't discriminated against."

"Not much, no."

With her brow furrowed, Marian spoke in a measured tone. "The Colony will never get traces of the original settlers back once we've died out. It is valid for them to acknowledge that by supporting purebloods. We are living relics, and you'd be wise to not forget that."

There was a tense silence that was broken by one word. "Specimens."

Marian blinked, quite confused. "Pardon?"

"Specimens. You make it seem as if the Colony was founded by wanderers who thought that burying themselves underground was just a nice, novel idea. This place was a prison, and that fact should never be sugarcoated or glossed over. And yes, the upper crust are direct descendants from the original 'settlers,'" said Kobal, emphasizing the word with air quotes. He continued, "But it's time to let go of that now."

"Mr. Kobal," Marian began and Andrea knew that tone; she'd had enough. "Being a member of the Assembly affords you a great deal of respect, but please do not let that go to your head. You've reached your limit now."

Kobal took a moment to respond, and Andrea resisted the urge to smile. This was another reason she loved Kobal; the man was fearless.

"I respect your views and your culture," the E said. "I just see things differently. Instead of preserving that culture with people's actual physical bodies, it is best to do so in art or business. That's why Rene's idea is so brilliant. She—"

"There is no way in hell she's going to marry you."

Kobal had no response. He paused, maybe waiting to hear a voice call out and disagree, but when he looked at Rene, he found that the woman wouldn't meet his gaze. Andrea was sorry to see Kobal's forlorn expression. The E's lips twitched as he tried to show a weak smile.

"So I have a proposal for you," Marian continued.

No doubt still shaken by the prospect of having to go home alone, Kobal turned to look at Marian. The motion made him seem possessed, as if his head would have continued to do a full 360-degree turn.

Marian nodded to Andrea. "How about Andrea?"

"What?" Andrea asked, jaw dropping.

Her mother gave her a look that made her shut up right there on the spot. All eyes settled on Kobal, who now wore the stony expression of a diplomat.

"Andrea will get a small stipend once she's married and out of here," Marian said. "You have no status, but if there was a hierarchy for E's, surely the Assembly is at the top. You already know, Mr. Kobal, that you are quite handsome. Andrea's not bad to look at either. I will admit she's slow. She's more than a bit stupid. She cheats and lies, and she does steal on occasion. But she's not very strong, and she doesn't stray too far from her house whenever she does go anywhere. I can't say much about her being faithful. She's basically bedded every servant of age—but they keep letting her, so maybe she'd be useful for you that way, too. Please don't tell me it's impossible to work around the touch factor. I'm old enough to know better." Kobal tried to interrupt, but Marian raised her hand to stop him. "As far as usefulness, there isn't much there, but she does have a little standing and her stipend. I would be—we would be willing—to offer a dowry for her if you would consider taking her."

Kobal's expression couldn't be read, but Andrea and even Gara gaped at Marian.

"With all due respect, ma'am," Kobal said, "Andrea is a fine person, and I would enjoy her company greatly, but—"

"It's because she can't control herself around food, isn't it?" She glanced to her daughter but didn't allow her gaze to linger too long. "Yes, that is a poor weakness. Roughly a month ago she had some work done to reduce her fat level, but as you can see, she's rapidly gaining it back. But maybe whatever offspring you hire a breeder to have for you won't have this unfortunate flaw."

Andrea kept her eyes on the table at first, but those words made her regard her own body once more. The button on her trousers was hidden under the roll of fat that formed because she was sitting. She was starting to feel the difference in her body and energy level, but she had been trying not to think about it. Having herself laid bare was almost too much for her to endure.

"She's not flawed. And as I've said," Kobal went on, "I'm flattered, but—"

"Come now." Marian sat up, her voice sharp. "Surely you'd take this chubby whore over the likes of Rene."

Gara flinched.

Kobal put his fork down and sat up, rigid.

"Excuse me, ma'am. What did you just say?"

Rene held Kobal's shoulder, urging him to calm down, but Kobal shrugged her away, still waiting for an answer.

Marian kept her eyes on her plate as she took a dainty bite of her food. "Rene's family teeters on the edge. It must be pretty bad if she's willing to consider marrying someone with no status or standing. That would negate her house, forcing them to find a business angle just to make ends meet."

"Just like with you."

"Our standing is far higher than Rene's family. And as much as I wouldn't wish Andrea on anyone, I do feel some insult that you'd take that ugly inbred monstrosity sitting beside you over the chubby dumb-dumb."

Both Andrea and Gara looked up at Kobal as he moved his chair back and stood. The E's hands came to rest on the table; he needed a moment before he could respond.

"Rene has worked hard to be where she is," Kobal said. "She's got ambition. She doesn't hurt anyone, and she's the kindest person I've ever met. Nobody at this table holds a candle to her, not even me, because although she can forgive all this disrespect, I do not have the patience. I'm an E, and I am a part of the Assembly, so you know I won't break this place in two, taking the people in it to hell with me. But I will tell you this, and this is the nicest way I can put it: unless you apologize to her wholeheartedly, then you will be my enemy from now on."

Marian picked her glass up and sipped it with a smug smile. "Try it if you dare, E. I fear nothing from you. We have two E staff, one of whom is a twin, and I'm sure you'd hate for me to have Tannenbaum and Queen hunt you down."

Kobal let out a slow breath. "Is this how you want to do it?"

"Make sure to take your freak show with you when you go. I'd be more than happy to offer you a bag to cover her head so as not to frighten the children."

Kobal said, "Thank you for your hospitality."

He turned to Rene to help her up, but the woman wouldn't budge. Rene just shrugged him away.

Kobal sighed. "Julia, we have to go."

"You always do this." Rene folded her arms. "I'll leave on my own. I don't want to be near you right now."

The E took a step back, genuinely surprised. He looked down at Andrea's mother again to see the slight bow that held a hint of gloating behind it when she said, "Good night."

Andrea found herself standing when Kobal made another attempt to reach for his soon-to-be-former fiancé, but Rene didn't even acknowledge him.

"It's all right," Andrea whispered. "I'm so sorry. Gara and I will make sure she gets home safely, I swear."

Kobal didn't meet her gaze; he only turned, walked into the wall, and faded from view.

They all continued to dine in silence—Rene even managed to take a few bites—and it took another grueling forty-five minutes before Andrea's family left the table. When they did, Andrea and Gara helped Rene get to the wall and call the System.

The System's voice greeted them. "Stand by."

Rene kept her head hung as the wall took on a softer texture, liquefied, and sucked her through with a faint pop.

0