The Unbreakable Mr. Tannenbaum 32
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Right cheek pressed against the bars of the jail cell, Andrea rubbed Tanner's callused hands.

Metal separating them, they sat side by side. Tanner's gentle cooing worried Andrea at first, but then she considered how long it might have been since Tanner was able to sleep easy, not fearful that someone might come after him once he'd nodded off.

More in an effort to soothe herself rather than her E, Andrea began to hum, and the hum turned into a song eventually. She hadn't sung in a long time; today was the first time she could sing without being reminded of the man who'd caused so many problems despite being dead.

When she was finished, she brought Tanner's right hand to her lips and pressed it there.

"Jan."

Andrea sat up. "Sorry?"

"I want to call you Jan. Johann Andreas N. the Fourth. Jan would work. And you can use a J instead of a Y, too. I know you were kinda proud to get a variation of a male name. So this could work. My cutesy nickname for you...is Jan."

Throat feeling parched, Andrea swallowed hard and closed her eyes. "My name is Nicolette. My...my informal name is Nicolette."

The quiet that greeted her made her uneasy until she opened her eyes and saw Tanner's solemn smile.

"Okay. I'll call you Nicolette when I take you in bed."

Cheeks heated, Andrea chuckled. "You sound so sure of yourself."

"I wouldn't say that." Tanner put his head against the bars again, and Andrea followed suit. "I'm not really sure you'll have me—"

"I'll take you. By the Colony, don't say stupid shit like that; of course I want you," Andrea insisted. "Hell, I'm about ready to rip this jail cell open and pounce on you. I want you."

Tanner looked up and let out a haggard breath. "I don't regret fighting for you, but I do feel bad about your boss's jaw. But he's a married man; what's he doing trying to put the moves on you?"

Andrea sat up. "No, he's not like that. Not even slightly. Hell, I—I swear, I think he was trying to adopt me."

They said nothing and then chuckled.

Resting once more, Andrea closed her eyes. "Jan. I like the name."

"Yeah." Tanner exhaled and said, "But I'd have to really push for everyone calling me Tanner...."

Eyes closed, Andrea grinned.

"Don't say it..." Tanner warned, but Andrea's smile only grew.

"Tan and Jan."

Tanner groaned. "Well, I'm not good with cutesy nicknames. Fine, forget it—"

"No. Jan is fine. It's a good name. I'd be honored."

The grip on her hand tightened, and Tanner asked, "So you'll have me?"

"Mr. Tannenbaum, I don't deserve you, but I want you. More than anything."

"And I'll provide for you," Tanner promised. "I can enter the ELETE Division. That's where I was headed before I went to jail. It won't take long. I'll just test in. Then we'll get a nicer place—a big one. With a big bathroom and everything you wanted. And—"

"I want to be ELETE," Andrea confessed. "I've tested and failed five times now. I even go to different sections so I can retest again. There's a test tomorrow, and I figured it was good luck because it's right when you got out. But look what's happened. But...but I'm gonna try again. And if you're proposing...." Her breath hitched. Tanner didn't interrupt her or laugh it off, so she calmed. "Then I'd like to do it the day I pass ELETE." The E had nothing to say, so Andrea said, "And you probably think that means we'll never get married."

"I don't know what it means," Tanner confessed. "I'll be here either way. So if you can't—"

"Do you know how badly I want you right now? How it's taking everything in me not to crawl through these bars to reach you?" Andrea waited, but no reply came. "Hell, if you were tattooed I'd drop to my knees and press myself up against these bars for you."

"Shut up; you're making me hard," Tanner muttered. "Besides." He looked up and around. "This is a public jail. We're being observed."

"Like I care."

"You care," Tanner teased. "Of course you care."

"Say the word," Andrea challenged him. "Right here. Right now. Any way these bars will allow."

"Stop," Tanner said, his body drooping once more. He made a soft noise in the back of his throat and quieted.

Andrea could admit that she thought of Tanner as the strong silent type, but the way he seemed to shut down was out of place.

With a sense of caution, Andrea eased closer to the bars and pressed her face there. She puckered her lips and said, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

Tanner slipped from her grip, and Andrea sat back on her haunches. "It was something that I said—I said something to upset you?"

"No."

A silence filled the room, and the cell, and even the small waiting area where Andrea sat, seemed too big.

Upset causing her nose to sting, Andrea pleaded, "If we really want to do this, we can't mess up like we did before. You have to tell me what's going on in your head. And I'll listen. I won't put any of my insecurities behind it. I promise."

Head hung, Tanner muttered, "I'm messing up your plans, that's all. I jumped into it again—like I always do."

"Like how?" Tears in her eyes, Andrea waited.

With a sigh, Tanner took off his coat. "Within a matter of minutes, I went from wanting to rip out your heart for not coming to meet me to wanting to fall asleep at your feet like a pet imp after I found out why you couldn't. So I made a decision. No more second-guessing or...or testing the waters. And even if you didn't want me, I wanted to acknowledge what we have—we had."

Andrea's heart pounded so fast she swore she could feel it about to thump out of her chest. Tanner rolled up his sleeve to reveal the tattoo, still red as it was freshly done.

"Tan...." Andrea gasped.

Face beet red, Tanner hung his head and whispered, "We can move in together after you make ELETE instead. But stop teasing me about...about sex. Because to be honest, the only reason I'm still sitting in this cell and not pounding you into a wall is because I'd get more jail time for coming out."

Andrea's cheeks burned, and their eyes met for an instant before she shot to her feet and kicked off her boots.

Her pace hurried, she rooted up her shirt, and struggled to undo the fancy buttons. "Damn these things."

From the ground where he sat, Tanner warned, "Don't you dare...."

"Royce, get naked, now."

"No." Tanner folded his arms. "This place is being observed, meaning audio and visual."

Andrea settled for ripping the shirt open. Luckily, her trousers were easier to unbutton, and she fell to her knees once she was bare. Holding the bars, she pulled herself close, her breathing short as she growled. "Then you'd better take me quietly."

Tanner's eyes flickered white, and the E gave off a low whine. Andrea looked up into Tanner's flushed face, pleased to see the brown eyes still staring back at her. They faded to white now and again, but overall the E was still in control.

"I haven't been with anyone since Reed. You don't have to worry," Andrea assured him.

But Tanner dropped to his knees, teeth gritted as he spoke against Andrea's gaping lips. "Don't you dare mention someone else's name when I'm about to have you."

***

Truth be told, Andrea wore a pleased smile when she finished buttoning her trousers and put on her torn shirt. The look on Tanner's face was grim, however.

Andrea sat down, slipped her feet through the bars, and called him close. "Hey, come here."

Shaking his head, Tanner stood watching her. "It was too fast again."

"Get over here." Andrea caught hold of Tanner's shirt and used it to yank him down. She smiled. "What we should be is thankful that these bars are spaced enough."

They shared a kiss. Though the bars were an impediment, their foreheads did meet. Andrea closed her eyes and let out a held breath, savoring Tanner, appreciating the very moment.

"You've accomplished so much alone," Tanner said. "Much more than with me. I'm humbled by it."

"You gave me my wish, Tanner; you've married me; you've made me a Tannenbaum. Because all this time, I wanted to be strong like you. Like, you were at a disadvantage, but you kept trying and trying. I wanted to do the same. I wanted to turn into a Tannenbaum. I was tired of being a Johann. Not with failing, but with never even trying. Just giving up before I even started. So I think it's ironic that you gave me my wish in the end. Maybe not the way I'd expected it."

As the silence lulled around them, Tanner combed his fingers through Andrea's hair.

Andrea hesitated before confessing, "I was going to send them a notice after I got ELETE. To Marian and the Gull. You know, to let them know I made it. To let my mom know I was all right." Andrea laughed, but her voice held no joy, "But Marian doesn't care. I did it again."

Tanner caressed her face, and asked, "Did what?"

"Just—I was just stupid. I thought...." Andrea paused and said, "I thought she sorta cared about me. And maybe if Marian didn't care, Gulliver would. But I know now that's not true."

The emotion from Tanner said the E wanted to offer some comfort but words failed him.

"Like, I thought about it, how—how she could have kicked me out. Or just let me stay there, eating however I wanted, maybe not even calling Victor to appraise me. She could have let me stay without a tattoo and no spouse and called the guards when I hit twenty-one. She could have easily gotten rid of me that way. So I convinced myself that she didn't despise me. Deep down, she didn't.

"She made me get the operation, she called Victor even though he hates being in the same room with me. She didn't let Reed be my suitor because she knew he was a bully. She even asked Kobal to take me, maybe because of how much I liked him. And I even excused how she talked to Rene. Because say what you will about her, she always said not to fault others for things they can't change. She'd never said anything bad about 'that poor child Rene.' She never even wanted me to change my face or my natural body. So I figured when she lost it with Kobal, it was because she was hurt that he had refused me."

After placing a kiss on Andrea's brow, Tanner whispered, "I'm sorry."

A thought occurred and Andrea smiled in spite of herself. "You know, I have one good memory of her, of Marian...Sure, she kinda laughed at me, but it did put my mind at ease. For the longest time, I thought that was proof she liked me even a little. She didn't bad-mouth me about my scar. If she wanted to, she could have used it as ammo against me."

"Scar...?" Tanner paused and then leaned away. "You mean that spot below your left breast that kinda looks like a third nipple?"

The way he said it made Andrea's shaky smile fade. "Of course that's a common misconception. It's just a mole, you see. I've read the archive back and forth and it all said that third nipple but Marian put my doubts to rest."

With each second that ticked by, Tanner gritted his teeth tighter. He muttered, "Oh...."

Andrea eyed Tanner and said, "We agreed; no secrets."

"No secrets," Tanner echoed, clearing his throat. "Do you really want an answer...?"

Andrea's eyes widened, "But...? But my evil mother said...?"

Tanner watched her with affection. "She must have some good qualities, Jan. Because you are one of the sweetest things I've encountered in this life. Let's go out somewhere when I'm out."

"I...." Andrea considered the invitation and said, "If you don't mind that my palate is limited now." At Tanner's look of confusion, she explained, "I can't—I don't eat sweets anymore. So we're kind of limited. But we can make something at home."

"Home? Who knows when that'll be? You said you'd be ELETE first, right?"

"But—"

"Then okay," Tanner said, cutting off Andrea's protest. "I think you meant it. So we'll wait. We'll move in once you become ELETE."

Bolts clicked and creaked, prompting them to sit up; someone was coming.

Kobal. Andrea hadn't laid eyes on the E in two years. She shot to her feet. "Kobal."

"Mistress An—"

"Jan," Andrea corrected him. "I go by Jan now. What are you doing here?"

"Covering up a family shame by the looks of it." Kobal met Tanner's gaze and shook his head. "I...I don't even want to talk about it."

Tanner's face turned bright red, and he struggled to speak.

Kobal raised his hand. "We turned off the video feed. So don't worry. The last thing Dad said before passing this assignment over to me was that I should make sure the cell isn't electrified and use the System to check for motion. Let me just say...yikes."

Andrea fought back a laugh, but Tanner didn't share the sentiment. His grim frown said it all.

"Come on." Andrea tugged on his hand. "It's funny. And the way he's acting like we would have been desperate enough to do something with the bars being electrified. Can you imagine someone showing up here to find us passed out from the charges?"

Kobal grumbled, "Apparently, it has happened. Either way, I'm...I won't judge you."

"Judge us? He's in jail. And let me say, the double standard where Assists can seemingly get away with murder is pretty awful."

"Well, little brother did beat Mr. Baker pretty badly. I had to come in to heal him. But that's not why he's in jail. The way he left that portal open and the System had to close it; we were just worried that he'd lose control. This cell would be the safest place to do that."

"Little b—" Andrea paused and looked between them. She rolled her eyes. "How many of you guys are there?"

"You don't wanna know," Tanner grumbled. He held the bars and asked Kobal, "How long do I have to rot in here? They forgot to set the timer, but I really need to know, because I'm going crazy. The only reason I haven't lost it is because Jan is here making pervy jokes."

"Jan?" Kobal asked and laughed. "Tan and Jan?"

"Tanner," Tanner corrected, but Kobal only laughed harder.

"Tan and Jan? By the Colony, that is awful." Kobal quieted when they didn't chuckle with him. "Baker's not pressing charges. He says it was some sort of misunderstanding or something. You're lucky Dad recommended you for the ELETE. They're giving you some leeway."

Andrea gasped. "Wait, are you saying he can come out?"

Turning to type along the keypad, Kobal nodded. "That's what I'm saying. I have to hurry up and get home. I don't want the wife to fret."

Rene. Andrea calmed, her smile solemn. "How is Rene?"

"Good. I wanted to say thank you, by the way. It was big of your mother to buy so many of the recycling prototypes last year, despite the bad blood. She and Gulliver are running that house, just the two of them thanks to our devices; they are our best sales model."

Andrea's foundation felt shaky, but Tanner squeezed her right hand and she calmed.

"I'm glad," she said, relieved when the bars slid back. As soon as there was enough room, she charged Tanner, jumping up to be caught. She was still far from little, but as expected, her E caught her without trouble. They kissed and Andrea groaned, longing for more. She picked up on Tanner's insecurity.

"No. Don't worry about the kisses. They're much improved, and I love them all the same. I swear. And we can work on it."

"No. Forget about that. It's still early; let's see if we can't meet that evaluation deadline." Tanner took her by the arm and dragged her past Kobal. "Because I really want to take you to bed."

"I'm still here," Kobal called out in protest. "You know, you can wait till I leave."

"Our luck is changing," Tanner said without a hint of doubt. "We have just enough time to make it. It's fate. We'll be starting our new lives in five hours if we play our cards right."

***

Five hours later, Tanner looked up at the black strip against the white wall and grumbled, "Gaw-ro ELETEs."

Tanner's name, E.R. Tannenbaum, appeared in blue, Jan Tannenbaum glowing in white beside it. He'd passed, and as happy as he should have been, seeing that his new wife hadn't been as fortunate left a sting.

"It's fine. Honest. At least I got to register the new name."

"It's rubbish," Tanner complained. "You didn't pass." He wanted to cry. "We're never going to have sex again."

"Hey, just because we don't live together doesn't mean we can't have sex. And when the hell did you become so horny?"

"Nothing's changed," Tanner said. "I'm just more vocal now."

"Well, whining about it won't help. And we can't achieve anything with luck and wishful thinking. We just go back to the drawing board and start all over again. You can go out and celebrate your win. It looks like I'll be studying well into the night."

Tanner sighed through his nose. "No. I'll come with you."

0