Syphon 2
20 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I knew something about arrogant people. That went without saying, because I'd grown up with my mother.

So arrogance was easy to spot. Three weeks into me throwing away Gregor's letter, whoever he was, a man came calling at the manor.

It was purely by accident that I answered.

My head bowed with a curtsied, per my breeding, I stood to the vision of something amazing. The man almost looked beautiful, he was so handsome. I didn't much care for the blond hair, but his chiseled jaw was eye-catching.

His gaze didn't linger on me too long. In fact, he stepped past me and called Mason's name.

Very well, this encounter was no business of mine.

Footsteps traveled down the hall, then something slammed into the wall. One of the coat of arms fell. I did not need to look, metal slamming against wooden floors told me as much.

Mason was barely in his jacket once he arrived in the foyer.

"I told you, I'd meet you there!" he insisted. But in his petty anger, he could barely get himself into his coat.

Rather than allow him to perhaps ruin my hard work, I marched to him, held his shoulder, snatched the jacket from his grip and shook it out.

Once I helped him into it, I circled back around and tapped his chin so that I could fix his collar.

He grimaced all the while like a sick animal.

Perhaps he was annoyed by my lack of courtesy towards his friend, but I did not care. Better his friend saw him being pampered than others on the street saw him walking around looking like a pauper or a madman.

With a brush of his shoulders, I stepped back to admire my handiwork. The vest and jacket looked absolutely brilliant, if I could say so myself.

"A thinner necktie would be best," I told him. "Go and retrieve one and I shall do it up nicely."

He stared at me. And although I couldn't understand his expression, it was worrying. His eyes drifted past me to his friend next then to me again.

When his lips formed into a straight line, I ordered, "Go and fetch one."

The humiliation in his eyes was misplaced. I'd be gone soon enough and he could tell his friend he'd fired me.

I didn't know why he stomped off in a hurry. I didn't know why he listened to me at all. A firmer man would have put me in my place or even raised a hand to me long ago.

Perhaps in this one way, he had a good trait; he wasn't short-tempered with me—with any of the women in his family.

His mother was a terror, however, so I feared that my mirroring of her behavior might have been why he'd given up so easily.

Now with him gone, the gentleman calling gazed upon me in a strange way.

"Governess!" Lana called, hurrying down the spiral staircase. As soon as she caught sight of the gentleman, she slowed and picked her nose up.

Filled with pride, I watched her. It was rare that I'd smile, mother always said they'd give me wrinkles, but I thought one or two would be well worth it for Lana.

She was a joy.

When she reached me, I crouched down to meet her.

"Oh," she gushed, "we'll have so much fun! Brother is going fox hunting, so he won't interrupt us and—"

I held my index finger to my lips and she caught my meaning of never sharing private things in front of company.

Lana leaned in to whisper, "Now we can do a proper lesson. And you can teach me the piano better."

"Of course," I promised.

A gentle cough roused me to stand up straight. "So...you are the governess I've heard so much about."

Lana gripped my hand and I forced my usual non-smile.

"Yes, I am. For now."

The grip tightened and I peered down at her. This, too, she must learn, letting people go.

Of all the other children I'd taught this lesson, I regretted Lana's the most. I was quite fond of her.

"I am Gregor M—"

"Oh," I interrupted him, alarmed with being confronted with someone I'd so rudely disregarded. "I...you'd sent me a letter."

Gregor smiled with a nod. "I had. And your reply?"

"She didn't even read it," Mason bit out as he arrived back. He puffed out his chest, looking rather bold and menacing. "Not even a bit."

My cheeks warmed. Everything in me wanted to take out my fan and strike him from ear to ear. That wasn't information a guest required.

Instead, I sighed and snatched the necktie.

Mason raised his nose as I put it on him, but that prideful posture sagged when I pulled the ends tight, constricting his airflow as I said through gritted teeth, "Only one person gets to humiliate me, and my mother's not here. Cease with this nonsense now."

His thick Adam's apple bobbed.

I'd made my point.

With a sigh, I decided that perhaps this was my payment for not treating him with more care, so I was slow and meticulous as I fixed his collar.

Once he stood before me, I allowed myself a second set of wrinkles.

"Did...are you smiling?" Mason marveled.

I felt cold. My sudden expression had Mason recoiling back with a shudder.

His childish insults were tiring so I took Lana by the hand and said, "Why don't we make ourselves a lovely snack before we practice?"

Lana's blue eyes widened. "Are you able to cook as well?"

It wasn't my absolute forte but I had one ore two dishes that I could serve even the royal family if I had to.

"I'm not very good at cookies so why don't you help me make some?"

Her face lit up and I smiled back. Mason's words about my smile came to me, so I forced myself to stop.

"If...." Gregor leaned to the right, trying to see my face. That was difficult from the hair that guarded my eyes, buy I noticed him and waited. "If it isn't too much trouble, why not accompany us on our fox hunt?"

Mason gasped. When I looked at him and saw the palpable worry there, I was disappointed.

"That is all right," I said. "I'd rather remain here."

"But—have you ever been fox hunting?" Gregor asked me.

I hadn't. But it was clear to me now that something strange was afoot and I was in no mood for games.

"I wouldn't want to impose. Besides, Lana'll make for a lovely date today."

The little girl nodded with a big grin.

Gregor crouched, much like Mason did when a bribe was in store.

"But Lana, do you know who else is coming? Beatrice."

A shriek erupted, one that had my eyes nearly rupturing.

"Oh, may we go?" Lana begged.

Hands clasped together, she hopped up and down.

This...absolute traitor.

One look at Mason and the scowl there meant he did not want my company. I couldn't blame him. I decided to make everyone happy.

"I hadn't planned on it. But I'm sure if I tell your mother, she'll accompany you."

"No!" Both siblings protested in unison.

At my flinch, Mason looked from his sister to Gregor then to me finally and said, "I'd...would you consider accompanying us?"

I remained defiant. "No."

Mason let out a sound. Lana hurried to him, begging to see her friend who apparently only came on holidays and never for long and who knew when she'd be back—it could be ages, years, decades!

No matter what, I resolved to let them go alone.

After letting out a huff, Mason stood bold and told me, "You're still an employee here as of now. Do not forget that."

My posture shrunk but he wasn't done with me.

"What do you have that's of such importance that you cannot do your job?"

Nothing. In all honesty, I had nothing.

Therefore, I lowered my gaze and gave no response. It wasn't my first tongue lashing, and it probably wouldn't be my last.

Everything moved so quickly after that. I hadn't even realized Lana'd gone for my coat until she showed up again and helped me into it without waiting for the butler to do the honors.

My boldness adequately syphoned, I followed after them much like a dog would its master.

Mason helped Lana into the carriage. He waited for me, but I stopped walking. He didn't wear an expression of anger as he climbed up. Gregor offered his hand but I ignored it and hurried in on my own.

1