Letters 5
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I sat in the study, a fire burned in my gut. In return for finishing out the year, I could gather favorable business for my father's stores. My father was the driving force behind my decision to weather this, I told myself, but in fact, it was for my mother, my new stepfather especially.

I did not hate my mother. To be true, I detested her and could not stand the thought of her for more than a few seconds, but I did not want her dying in the gutter.

At the very least, she should expire in a tiny box of a room, neglected by the nurses and slowly robbed of her jewels once she was properly addled.

As the witch had me far too early to bring about that satisfying end just yet, I'd pay her back for what she'd put into me. I'd pay her husband back.

I had yet to answer Edmond's correspondence. I would do so and try to explain the situation...casually.

The quill in my hand dripped of ink but no words came to me.

A soft cough roused me from my thoughts and I sat up to see Lana lingering at the doorway, something behind her back.

"Governess, may I enter?"

As puzzling as her words were, they were good manners so I turned in my chair and held out my hands to her.

"I have a gift for you," she gushed. Her tiny feet carried her to me so fast, I imagined her beautiful frock floating. "Here."

Thrust before me was a letter atop a very expensive box of chocolates.

I recognized the maker right away but the letter was of a bigger concern—nothing was written on the envelope.

Lana's big blue eyes took me in, and I knew why. It was custom to share with someone. This was one of her most favorite aspects of etiquette. It wasn't uncommon for someone to bring a gift for others, something they themselves liked, so that they could partake in it together.

But as she saw a treat, I saw a problem.

"You have an admirer," Lana insisted.

For me, that was not the case. I rubbed her arms and told her what I'd been told, "A gift given in secret is no gift. It's a payment."

Lana's smile dissolved. "But...even from an admirer?"

I cocked my head and asked, "Why would someone keep their admiration a secret?"

Her eyes blinked as if she'd never considered this avenue.

"The only transactions done in secret are bribes," and murders was how the quote went but she was young so I said, "and crimes."

Most of the radiance faded from her face and I hated being the cause.

"If a man ever gives you something in secret, you cannot accept it. Do you understand? You have a very powerful last name, and a scandal of any kind can cause a lot of damage. It is the same for meeting in secret. Anything you must do in secret without others knowing is wrong. And it's cheap." I held her face once her frown was total. "And you are not cheap."

Lana stared down at the boxes and pouted. "And it's wrong to take a bribe?" At my nod, she picked her head up and begged, "Even a small bribe?"

"Even a 'small' bribe," I insisted.

She held the letter up next. "What about this?"

I did not focus on it, only said, "Bring it back to where you found it, unopened, to make the guilty party know that we cannot be bought. And if you cannot, simply throw it away." This was a rare chance and I was glad for it. It allowed me to highlight something about Lana that would cause her harm in the future. "Darling, it's a little similar to how others promise you things when they want you to act a specific way. It seems fine now, but it really isn't a favorable trait for a lady. A lady cannot be bought."

She made a whimper, which surprised me.

When her reddened eyes met mine, she opened her other hand to show a smaller bag of sweets.

I gasped. Now I regretted my words. Without a doubt, I did, when she turned and ran out.

"Oh no." I watched her retreat. Perhaps I was too harsh. I considered it. No. Finally, I concluded that I was in the right. But I would speak to her and soften my words going forward.

My letter was hardly finished, I'd already written the address. But with my head so jumbled, it was best I take extra care in how it was written.

Instead of anguishing over it any longer, I sought out Lana. She was sweet and did not deserve any self-doubt so young.

I found her in the family room as she flung her bag of sweets at her brother's chest, proclaiming, "I won't be bought."

The sight of him had me pressing my back against the hallway wall to hide from view. When had he arrived back? He usually made a ruckus upon entering and exiting the house.

"Bought?" The dummy probably stared down at his little sister then did what he always did, crouched to meet her face to face as he tried to reason with her. "It was just a gift."

"Why?" When he didn't answer, his sister said, "Here. She does not want it. In fact, she nearly threw it in the trash."

Mason stumbled. "What? Do you know how much this cost?" After a long bout of silence, he asked, "Tell me again what she said."

A sigh sounded Lana's frustration. "She said there was no need for gifts given in secret. Only bribes happen in secret."

Eyes closed, I rubbed my face. I suppose one more slight to his character wouldn't make much of a difference now.

"Why don't you give it to her directly?" the girl suggested.

"No. It's all right. Let's eat your sweets together." He moved around then returned close and said, "Is that all right? Not the chocolates. They are far too expensive."

Lana waited a long moment before she surprised me by refusing, "I don't think I should."

I hated myself by the time I returned to the study. Surely it was all right for a little girl to get sweets. It was rare for me to doubt myself but lately I started to wonder. This business with Mason confused me. Nothing in my behavior was untoward or inviting. So why was he suddenly so focused on me?

Finally, I returned to the desk and sat down to write. I was candid with Edmond, letting him know of the lucrative propositions and that I did not want mother privy to who sent them their way.

He would understand my feelings. Once I was finished, it was well past lunch time and I wondered why Lana hadn't found me for her lesson yet.

I searched her out instead. She often played with her dollies by herself, turning into a miniature governess giving her inanimate friends strict instructions.

What I heard was something else, but not entirely. "Posture."

"Ow." Mason winced. "How is this fun exactly?"

"No back talk and sit up."

I paused at the doorway to something rather charming.

Sitting on his tiny chair, drinking from his tiny teacup, Mason followed his sister's instructions.

My feet took me back into the hall out of sight before I could counter that action. With their stark age difference, Lana was rather lonely. It she'd had an older sister, they could still play together but Mason was not known for his gentle nature.

Still, it was nice to see them in one another's company for so long.

"Do you fancy the governess?" Lana asked.

Mason sprayed his tea. I'd taken it for shock but it turned into laughter. "Isn't that obvious by now?"

Lana didn't share in his joy. "I do not think she likes you."

"What? Of course she does. Name one woman who does not like me."

"The governess."

He grunted. "No. It must be something else."

"Governess said that when things appear complex, it's an illusion and the easiest answer is the correct one." Lana attested, "So isn't it simply that she doesn't like you?"

Mason took a long time in answering. "But what's not to like?"

"Well, you're loud. You have terrible table manners. You never help her into the carriage. You also get really angry and bang on tables. You're never upfront. Like some conman—"

"Wait, wait, wait. Has she said all these things about me?"

Had I?

"No," Lana answered. "But all the things she says a gentleman will do and I must look for...you never do any of them."

Those words shut him up long enough for me to think of a way to interrupt them.

"But handsome men can get away with such things," Mason declared.

He wasn't wrong.

Perhaps his posture drooped when he said, "Lanni, you think your big brother's handsome, don't you?"

"You're talking nonsense. And Governess says that if I'm around a boy who is asking me questions I don't understand while bringing the focus back to his looks, he's up to no good and I'm to kick him in his business."

Mason winced.

I closed my eyes, teeth gritted as I imagined him crouched up with his legs crossed in is small chair.

Lana asked, "Is that bad advice?"

For a long minute, Mason said nothing then muttered, "No. No, it actually makes a lot of sense." He let out a sigh. "It's good advice. Take it."

"Why don't you be upfront and tell her what you feel? Governess said that a direct person is far more trustworthy than one who schemes. A schemer is a swindler."

The next gasp had Mason striking his own face. "This woman!"

I longed to leave but I had to know how much damage my womanly advice was going to do in the long run.

"But why do you like the governess? Although, she's far nicer than that terrible An—"

"Don't say that name," Mason warned.

That unanswered question anchored me to the wall; I'd intended to leave.

"Don't you like the governess?" Mason challenged.

"Well, well yes. She's awfully funny. And she doesn't smile much but when she does, she's so pretty. And she does everything well."

Mason affirmed, "Well, there you go." They said nothing for some time until his panicked voice shouted, "Wait? What have I said to upset you?"

"But I cannot do any of those things well. Does that mean if I cannot, I won't be loved either?"

The silence had me pressing my back against the wall. I wanted to laugh and let her know that it all didn't really matter in the end.

"That's not what I meant," Mason grumbled. "Besides, Angelique wasn't very good at any of those and she was still popular."

"Wow. You said the name." Lana muttered, "But doesn't Mother refer to her as trash?"

Mason groaned. "I can't win." Finally, he said, "I don't know why I'm fond of the governess. I just am. I'll be candid. I didn't like her at first. Not until the first day she cooked for us. It was amazing, I'll tell you. I suppose I just want to have that meal forever." He sat in quiet contemplation before saying, "But maybe you're on to something about the simplest answer. Perhaps...she's not what she says. Perhaps the problem lies with her."

I scoffed and drew myself up to my full height. Now instead of retreating, I decided to do my job.

My feet landed heavier to announce me before I entered. "Time for our lesson, Lana."

Lana jumped from her chair. "Will we learn the piano today?"

With the way I felt, that was the last thing I wanted. "No. We will read."

There were several books out that we'd been making our way through. When I turned back to them with the intent of asking Mason to excuse us, he was already gone. He took his chocolates and letter.

On the table, Lana's bag of sweets rested, uneaten.

Today's lesson progressed well. Mason left the house before supper. He did not return for the entire night. Perhaps he went into town and did what men did there.

Before preparing for bed, I returned to the study, intent on finalizing my letter only to find...it was gone.

1