Fishes 12
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was a change to Mason nearly overnight. I wish I could take credit for it, but I dared not be so careless.

He held out Angelique's chair for her the next time she came for breakfast. Perhaps no one would notice that he did the same for me next. That didn't matter. One look at Angelique's pleased expression showed me that she was satisfied.

Mason was more attentive to her also. When she started going on about some local gossip, he indicated his interest as he ate while asking some questions.

I prayed this mirroring nonsense wouldn't occur back-to-back, which would be ridiculous.

The duchess was pleased. Mason still did not drink Angelique's coffee so I saw to it as they carried on with their friendly banter. When he laughed, I paused at the door before entering the kitchen. They really were a handsome pair.

Five minutes later, I set his coffee down, picking up the old in the process and his hand slid against mine as he took it.

Our eyes met and I squinted at him. His eyes opened and he remembered our bargain.

After that, he stopped touching me. That wasn't the response I was after but I decided to not be picky.

They were all cheerful by the time I skulked away to the kitchen for breakfast. It was early still, and I had to do Ms. Phanne's chores before lunch time. In the afternoon, I would need to teach Lana. It was a busy day ahead.

I was halfway through dusting the study when someone barged in and slammed the door.

"That was underhanded."

At Mason's shout, I turned to him, feather duster in hand.

"You said part for part. How dare you just leave without announcing that you weren't coming back? How dare you leave me with...with that fish?"

I took insult. Mostly because I'd thought they were doing well. To say I'd expected Mason and Angelique to find forgiveness in one another so quickly would be a lie. But I'd been hopeful when they seemed to get along . The fact that he could act like that, so convincingly, sent alarm bells ringing throughout my body.

It had appeared almost authentic.

"All right," I said, mostly in an effort to calm him. "Since you've spent breakfast with her, I can spend lunch with you."

His challenging posture relaxed. "Just the two of us?"

What was the alternative? Invite Angelique and actively ignore her? Something in his gaze told me he'd more than consider it.

"Very well," I agreed. Before he could open his mouth, I cut him off, saying, "But the intimate breakfast with just the five of you whenever she's here remains."

Mason considered it and nodded. "Fine." He turned to make his way out. "But I've been invited to Gregor's for lunch so you are coming along."

"With Angelique? Why, yes."

He paused at the door, sighed, then walked out. With that in mind, I shifted my lesson with Lana to the morning. That was a joy and I'd rather have spent the time with her than creepy Gregor.

After we were finished, I invited the duchess into the study. I'd invited Angelique as well, but she ignored me. Mason's gentleness to her in the morning resounded.

I explained the situation to the duchess who stood watching the desk.

The low sigh she gave off surprised me. She sounded defeated.

Our eyes met and she asked, "Do you think he's serious about never considering her?"

Her response threw me. "Our plan hasn't changed, ma'am. I'd just like to inform you so that you can guide Angelique better. She's ignored all of my instructions. I cannot help her if she won't listen."

Duchess Chamberlain rubbed her brow and agreed, "Even the coffee...." The way she wrung her hands spoke of distress.

"Ma'am?"

She circled the room then stood before me. "I have no quarrel with Angelique. No, I did not appreciate how things ended. But I understand the pressures of a father's will for his daughter to marry better than most. So I forgave her that fiasco. But the fact that she cannot do a simple thing on his behalf such as make the coffee to his liking is not sitting well with me."

Madness. This woman was talking utter nonsense.

"Ma'am, this isn't about coffee. It's about compounding wealth and favorable business ties," I reminded her.

The way her eyes settled on me meant she was considering even that risk.

"You and Mason—"

"Stop." I was gentle when I told her, "There is never going to be a me and Mason. I've expressed this and I will not deviate."

"But if he's courting you—"

"He's courting her also," I affirmed. "And I'll make sure my time is minimal. I will not forget the end goal. In return, I hope you will not forget your end of the bargain."

The duchess looked renewed when she drew herself up to her full height. "You've decided then?"

I made my way to the desk and retrieved the list of names from the top draw.

"My mother cannot speak on my behalf so if you could engage even a few of these families for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Their status is enough for me."

After retrieving the list, the duchess scowl. "Modest, indeed."

"But with potential and all in areas where I excel."

With a click of her tongue, she met my gaze and gave me a nod. "It's a pleasure doing business with you."

Everything in me said to give up on helping Angelique but I made yet another attempt once the duchess and I left that room. We were scheduled to spend the afternoon with Gregor so that meant being punctual.

Angelique trailed behind me. "What are we doing exactly? There is a butler."

I gave off a sigh as I selected one of Mason's favorite hats. His gloves I found in his study and I put those on top. The duchess followed us, though I wasn't sure why.

Spring was here but, as there was a chill, I chose a light scarf to go along with it. The ascot I selected complimented the vest he wore today.

"A butler is fine," I told her, "but it doesn't hurt to be useful, does it?"

We readied ourselves and waited in the foyer. As expected, Mason hurried out fixing his tie, asking, "Has anyone seen my gloves?"

I handed them over. Unsurprising, the tie gave him trouble.

He made no protest when I boxed his hands aside and replaced it with the ascot. Before he could open his mouth to ask, I handed him his hat and he smiled.

"What would I do without you?"

The kiss on the forehead had Angelique making a sound. I closed my eyes, cursing him.

He ignored us and gave his mother a kiss as well before making his way out. As was his habit, he would go on horseback and meet us there.

I did not relish the thought of riding alone with Angelique.

Before I turned to bid the duchess good day, she surprised us with the look of anger on her face.

"Angelique, dear," she said, "you may not see a lady when you look at our governess but she's well-trained and well-versed and obviously something about her extra care with my son is resonating. You'd be wise to follow her path. Do you understand?"

Defiance flashed in Angelique's eyes before she curtsied and I knew I'd be paying for this later on.

The carriage ride was tense. I had nothing to say. At this point, the least would be the better but she was more than ready for a fight.

"Were you jealous of breakfast this morning? Was that why you felt the need to show off?"

When faced with a wild animal, one must never stare at it head on. It was the same with women.

She'd already formed her own conclusions and dissuading them were impossible. Instead, I decided to control the narrative. Better that she thought of me as light competition. That way, all her small victories would prove more satisfying. At the very least, it might force her to make a bigger effort.

I watched the window as I answered, "Yes. This morning surprised me. But it's good to see him warming up to you."

Letting out a huff, she sat back and folded her arms. We arrived just before noon and she warned me, "Stay out of the way," before opening the door.

Mason stood bold. This time, instead of relegating the duty to Gregor, he help Angelique out on his own, taking the utmost care with her.

Once she was gone, he turned a grin on me.

But I couldn't accept his offer. "No," I mouthed. "I'll be killed."

Little by little, his smile faded.

Someone inched him aside and peered into the carriage. Gregor's smile took time to form.

At his offered hand, though my body screamed to be away from him, I accepted the help and stepped down.

Mason wasn't pleased. Angelique looped their hands together and he looked back at me just once before shifting his focus solely to her.

When Gregor offered his arm, I felt repulsed somehow but took it at a decent distance and allowed him to lead me to the manor.

The house was grand, a bit bigger than Mason's. his father was also a duke and I came to learn that he and Mason were distant cousins. They seemed like polar opposites. While Mason was verbose and often drew everyone's attention, Gregor was quiet and thoughtful...like a hawk. He was the youngest of three brothers and they were the next in line to be princes after the current ones.

In a different life, Gregor would have been a good prospect for me. Even with his off-putting personality, I would have considered him. Shame he wasn't Mason.

The main study of the house had Angelique marveling but it took me aback.

Gregor and his brothers were quite the hunters.

Even with the curtains open, the room was dim. Animal heads mounted the walls. A bearskin rug rested on the floor. A bear he'd help kill, he boasted.

These were trophies, I knew, but for me, from wall to wall, there was only death.

"You've hunted everything but people," I said without thinking.

Angelique gasped and Gregor laughed. He nodded to a painting on the wall and I lost power.

"Whoa." Mason caught me. When he focused on the painting, he looped his arm around my waist and guided me out. "It was a joke."

"But you saw that painting. It was a person." It looked like Edmond.

"It was a joke," Mason insisted. "I swear, it is a joke. He says it to all women to get a rise out of them. Nobody but you has believed it. I promise."

We were out in the garden by the time he stopped moving.

"Please don't panic. Take deep breaths."

What I saw of the garden didn't ease my worries either. Most of the statues were of beasts. Even the shrubbery resembled one animal or another. The painting flashed again.

"I think I'm about to be sick," I muttered.

"No. No. No." Mason took me further into the garden, hiding us behind tall trees. There was a stone bench there where he sat me, keeping a firm hold on my neck. "Breathe," he begged. "Please, just breathe."

Eyes closed, I obeyed.

With his forehead rested against mine, he drew in deep breaths and exhaled.

Other guests were arriving if the noisy chatter was any indication.

"Mason?"

Angelique's voice brought me back to myself and my job. I was supposed to be helping her.

"Answer her," I pleaded.

He stared me down and whispered, "You're in no condition—"

"Please."

His name came again and he set his face in a scowl and called back, "I'm here."

Tiny footsteps closed in and I stood and hurried down the path of the shrubs where I found an opening and slipped in. That wasn't all I found. What I saw took all my focus.

1