Rifle 22
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I awoke to find myself staring down the barrel of a rifle. The black on black of the night afforded me no insight into my ambusher's identity and although this was my first time with a gun to my face, the light of the lamp illuminated it rather well.

My day rushed to me in a flash, allowing me to relive the most memorable day of my life. I saw myself galloping behind my new wife, neither of us speaking, though I longed to assure her we would be all right. In truth, I did not know.

We hadn't returned to the city, but in fact, a little beaten down cottage on the outskirts. It was so tiny, I wondered how it held a family of four, much less five when the governess had lived there for a time.

The little door opened to show a beautiful young woman, weary and tired, well before her time. I waited at a distance with the horses.

"I'm sorry I couldn't stay till the end. But the boys were in a temper."

"It's all right," the governess replied, much softer than her usual tenor. "I came to get my things—well, some things. Can I leave the majority here?"

Her sister hesitated then rubbed her arms and confessed, "If you mean the money, I'm sorry. He's long found it."

The governess gasped. "What do you mean! How could you let him take it—?"

"I didn't let him do anything. I'm sorry. But—it's not like you paid while you were here."

Body stiff, the governess fired back, "I've been steadily sending you money for years now."

An awkward silence lulled between them. Her sister lowered her gaze, muttering, "You don't have to rub it in. You sound just like Mother. And I don't need you to turn up your nose at me now that you're properly wed. We can't all be as lucky."

"Your problem isn't luck, sister, it's stupidity."

In seconds, the door closed in her face.

She stood there for some time, trembling.

I wasn't sure what to do so I kept my distance until I could no longer stand it. One tug at her sleeve had her turning towards me. For a time, we walked. I was unsure how to suggest we ride. Besides, where would we go?

There was only one idea left—her mother. I couldn't say it and she couldn't say it, and it was no surprise that we took our time riding into town. We arrived just as Edmond flicked the reins and made his way down the road, the governess's mother sitting quite comfortably in the carriage.

Between the governess and I, there was no jewelry to sell, and nothing to trade. We'd need the horses, so I mounted and took the lead and she followed.

When I saw her beast slow, I paused and looked back at her.

It was the best she could do so we dismounted and went to the river to get the horses water. Night caught us by the time we made it to the main road again and that forest was where we now rested.

That was, until the rifle's arrival.

"This is private land," a voice said. "What business do you have here?"

What business indeed? My heart thumped against my chest, but I could only think of the governess and my blunder. In an effort to respect her, I allowed her to sleep at a distance. Now, I feared for what might have happened to her in the night should she have been muzzled and dragged off without my knowledge.

A gasp told me she was still close by but rather than run, she thundered toward us.

She connected with something and the rifle jolted.

"Miss?" the voice inquired.

"Oh, Edmond, it is you."

Edmond lowered the rifle and held the lamp up to the person clinging to him. He patted her head and stepped back to take her in.

The first thing he focused on was the dress. "You look rather lovely, Miss, but I reckon that dress has seen better days."

Next, he held the lamp up to me and let out a sigh.

Due to his skin color, it was hard to make out his expression, but his voice sounded his disappointment well.

"I suppose I am to blame for your impromptu visit?"

He told us to remain there and he skulked back to his estate. Thirty minutes later, he returned with some blankets, a few bags, and a basket.

He set down the extra lamp and said, "I told your mother vagrants were squandering and she'd best wait at home." But as he spoke, his close proximity to the lamp afforded me a direct view of him. His eyes pleaded when he asked the governess, "Would you meet with her? She's worried for you night and day."

My wife looked away and he sighed and continued his inventory.

"I apologize," he told me, "but the shirts I've secured are my own. I hope that's all right—"

"Nonsense," I said. He was a smart man because now I could not refuse his generosity without insulting him. "We're much obliged."

He stared up at the governess for a long while before admitting, "I had to beg your mother to allow me to take some of your dresses. She was intent on fighting me. I hope you know this. Therefore, some are your sister's as well. And not many of them are of the best quality. I apologize for that. But in her eyes, she did not want you to return and find your things gifted and perhaps feel unwelcomed."

Still refusing to regard him, she muttered, "I'm sorry to impose."

"It's no imposition." In the end, we received two bags.

One for her and one for myself. Never had I felt so grateful.

The food would have to keep for a few days, and although my stomach grumbled, begging me to feed it, I resisted.

"I can get you breakfast at least. But nothing beyond that. She won't allow it." Edmond stood and handed me one final thing. The rifle. "You're a man with a wife now. You must protect her. You were smart enough to sleep on my land but what would have happened if some blaggard happened upon you two? And with her sleeping so far from you?"

Shamefaced, I accepted his gift, fighting against my pride. Pride had brought me here and he was right, pride could have cost all of us dearly.

"I understand," I said, though I defended myself. "But I'd intended to put myself in harms way instead—"

"You are sleeping unarmed out in the open with a young woman. You as a man may fight off an attacker alone. Imagine for a moment what would happen if they caught her first and you were rendered helpless due to their threats to her."

Never had I been scolded so gently and yet...I felt wrecked.

I clutched the rifle close and nodded, for what else could I do?

Despite Edmond's insistence that we sleep in the barn, the governess refused. In the end, we slept where he found us and after a hearty breakfast the next day, Edmond saw us off. He secured our horses, far better than I could, and the rifle as well.

He gave me one more bag which was so heavy I nearly dropped it. As I suspected it was money, I was adamant in my refusal.

"Ammo," he corrected.

My face heated. "Blast." I hefted it over my shoulder and secured the belt. "I'm...I'm so sorry. I will pay you back. I promise."

Edmond smiled up at me and begged, "Take care with her. She's got a long way to go. Promise me that much and I need no repayment."

Before I could open my mouth to protest, he hurried to the governess and held a small purse to her. She shook her head.

Edmond sighed. "I've been saving this for your wedding, do you know?"

Face crimson, she answered, "I'll have a proper ceremony one day and invite you. I swear it."

The smile was forced as Edmond stepped back and waited or her to set off into town. When I thought to follow, he stepped in my path.

Our eyes met and he said, "This is for her. And you will give it to her or we are no longer friends."

I looked past him to the woman in question then gave a sigh and accepted the purse. I tucked it into my inner pocket and thanked him before galloping after her.

We arrived in town in good time but that didn't help with the problem of where to stay. I felt more confident with the rifle but took no satisfaction in the idea of having to use it on anyone.

"Do not worry. We'll work and pay him back," I assured her.

But ammo wouldn't be too hard to come by. I decided to check and see how much I'd have to save for. When I opened the bag on my chest, I nearly fell from the horse.

A coin hit the ground and I dismounted fast and snatched it up. After checking to make sure no one else saw, I called her to dismount and we hurried to a nearby alleyway.

"What is it?" she asked.

I opened the bag to show her and her hands flew to her mouth.

It was a fortune.

"We must give it back," she insisted.

Usually, I'd agree but today, something in me changed. When I regarded her, still wearing her once pretty wedding dress for a second day, I simply couldn't.

"We can't." I closed the bag and said, "I'll visit the bank and then we'll look for a place to rent."

She set her mouth to protest but I did not give her a way out by insisting. Like me, she wound down eventually and gave up.

The amount was good for now and we visited several places. The cheaper areas were a travesty. I feared we'd enter as people and exit the next day as mouse food.

Better living arrangements meant more money. I felt confident I could secure a job so I, after a great whisper fight with the governess, took that.

We could only afford a place with one bed. There was a table and chair as well, and that was enough. Another problem presented itself after we settled into our new home for the night.

The night.

We hadn't had a wedding night.

Of course, I thought along that vein and she did as well because she lingered for some time, waiting for me to finish my calculation of our funds before going to sleep.

At this rental price, not accounting for food, we wouldn't last more than two months. To be sure, the governess was a thing of beauty but our wedding day and theme thereof resounded—I was responsible for her now as a husband.

Risking a child was not wise at this moment.

Lamp in hand, I stood from the table and she, near asleep, rose with me. But after I reached the room with the bed, I said, "You can sleep here. I'll take the next room."

The shock in her gaze made me hesitate. I should have explained it but she gave me no chance to as she hurried in and closed the door.

I stared after it for some time then sighed. With that, I made myself a promise: we'd be a proper couple, a proper family, but I wouldn't consummate until I could earn enough for at least one month's rent. She was still young and she could label me all sort of scoundrels and perhaps even escape me and find another man...but not if I compromised her.

So I went to my own bed-less room, woeful on many levels.

0