Ch.31 Brotherhood Formed From Adversity
6.3k 7 197
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A whole month had passed before the 2 Beasts did something other than twitching with their eyes rolled up and saliva dribbling freely.

 

KAHK!

 

Raiko was the first to snap awake and choke on the saliva and unsuspecting inhabitants that was no doubt filling his throat. He began to shiver as he briefly reminisced the never-ending nightmare that he had to undergo this entire time.

 

Fortunately, he managed to break out when he had finally built up resistance, an unforeseen benefit that would aid him in future.

 

KOOOHK TUH!

 

Draco suddenly spat out a glob of spit containing a few bugs onto the floor indicating his revival but creating a nauseating sight.

 

But Drako was in no shape or form to care about such trivial things. He looked around wildly, like a cornered beast looking for it's predator. To see such a mighty figure like Drako now act like a helpless prey was just too regrettable, if anyone from the Snake clan was to see him now, his reputation would vanish like smoke.

 

Fortunately, Drako soon calmed down when he saw there was no one else here apart from Raiko who was currently getting up and preparing to leave.

 

Hisssss!

 

Drako hissed at him to grab his attention, successfully making the Tiger turn around in slight shock and more confusion.

 

To be honest, Raiko had completely forgotten that Drako was here. He had more pressing things in mind like the condition of his mind and body, moreover, he had been away for an undetermined amount of time so he needed to check in his territory as soon as possible.

 

'Does he seriously still want to fight?' Raiko thought warily, he was honestly tired of fighting right now and didn’t want to go head to head with the snake knowing things could get out of hand.

 

But against Raiko’s expectations, Drako dipped his head, briefly flashing the suspiciously familiar antlers attached to his forehead before raising his head and looking into Raiko’s eyes intently. 

 

This action was a complete shock to the Tiger because the meaning of this gesture wasn’t light at all. Since there were many Beasts with different types of vocal abilities, there was no way to achieve conversation yet, so the 2 leading Beasts -at the time- (Dodo and Jörma) came up with a set of gestures as a temporary substitute.

 

{ 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐡’𝐬 𝐍𝐨𝐭𝐞: Spirit Beasts can communicate mentally. }

 

There were 2 common gestures that everyone used, 1 was to completely lay on your belly with your head touching the ground, indicating surrender or submission. The other was to slowly nod your head to the other whilst maintaining eye contact, this action meant that you considered the other an equal and that you respected them, more importantly, it meant that you were seeking friendship with the other. If the other was to reciprocate the gesture, it meant that they were accepting the offer of friendship.

 

Raiko was completely stunned. Was this still the same evil Snake that chased him all the time? At first he was angry, how dare he still seek friendship with him after all they had done? Was his desire for revenge something that could be disregarded so easily just because the other finally acknowledged him?

 

Complex thoughts like that flipped through his brain, agitating him further and further until he almost began growling. Any other Beast wouldn’t be so pressured, it would be a yes let’s be friends or no how dare you, let’s fight. Magic Beasts had both a low IQ and EQ after all.

 

But Raiko wasn’t stupid in the slightest, he was someone who had entered the 2nd stage of Anatomy Refinement which had granted him greater cognitive abilities. So he was able to assess how he felt about things and what was the smarter decision to make.

 

Just as Raiko was deciding to walk away, ignoring the Snake and letting their feud continue, he thought about all the things he had experienced. Anatomy Refinement, Conquering Territory and becoming a Beast King, all of these things happened because of the Snake that had entered his life.

 

If it wasn’t for that harrowing event, he would still be a nobody. Which, to be honest wasn’t all that bad because even if he was a nobody, he had no ambition and his life was never in jeopardy as a great Tiger, this thought made him feel like turning away from the Snake again.

 

But the key word ambition suddenly grabbed his attention (of course, it wasn’t actually that word, but it is what could be interpreted from his thoughts), he realized that ever since he began subjugating other species, this is the emotion that had occupied his thoughts! Thoughts of revenge? They would only come back whenever he encountered the Snake and a fight was immediately started.

 

Raiko was beginning to realize the immense LACK of care he had for this so-called revenge. He never had time to think of such things and he always had fun everyday when he increased his strength along with those in his territory.

 

Raiko sighed. To think that an intelligent Beast like him was being ridden by reflex ghost emotions… such a disgrace.

 

It was this thought that enabled him to think of the other things both he and Drako had gone through, especially with the recent bout with the Guardian of The Forest. Thinking about how both he and Drako, two apex predators being put into such a critical condition because of the mere presence of a herbivore of all things, Raiko felt a slight sense of companionship, the kind you feel when you and another overcome something dangerous together, especially with the situation as crazy as it was now.

 

Raiko sighed one more time before reciprocating Drako’s gesture and accepting his offer of friendship.

 

Drako paused for a moment, seemingly stunned before turning around and slithering away. Looking at the view of his back, Raiko felt that the Snake seemed to have become more mature, making him chuckle.

 

He too turned away, walking back to his territory with a slow gait.

197