Ch.151 Utter Defeat
2.2k 7 81
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

But he had a sneaking feeling that the Devils he had been looking for were in that very same Forest and that was the second reason why he could not obtain his revenge.

 

Anyone who entered the forest would find themselves having to fend off elongated branches with sharp tips that moved around like snakes, and it would only get worse the closer you got to the core of the Forest where the Demonic Blood Tree was.

 

The first and last time he saw the Demonic Blood Tree was many years ago and it hadn’t been as strong, allowing him to get close enough to see it. But going by the increasingly baleful aura of the Forest, it was sure to have progressively grown since then and he didn’t even dare to enter the middle section of the Forest, talk less of where the Demonic Blood Tree was.

 

So after futilely sending some men into the Forest to search, he made the decision to forget about them for the time being and focus on the much more dangerous threat. The Phoenix of Envy.

 

The name ‘Phoenix of Envy’ was the title that the denizens of the South Continent had decided to call the terrifying green Phoenix with unprecedented powers that had enabled it to enthral people as it wished. 

 

Unfortunately, despite the united efforts of the continent, all it took was 10 years for the Phoenix of Envy to conquer the entirety of the Monster territory (Year 161 by that time). Asura, Babunda and a few of the other Demon Kings had fled the continent and the rest of them had been thoroughly grasped by the Phoenix of Envy.

 

To think that Emperor Asura who he had been rivals with his entire life had been forced to flee like a pitiful Beast was still extremely shocking, but whenever he thought about the events that led to it he couldn’t help but shiver with helpless fright.

 

The Phoenix of Envy was really too terrifying… It was one thing for it to possess immense might that not only surpassed his and Asura’s but also grew faster than theirs, but when unknown creatures from beyond the seas and even from the seas began to arrive on the continent with green coloured scales, furs, eyes or hairs, the resistance of the South Continent became utterly useless.

 

Somehow, the Phoenix of Envy possessed the ability to both ensnare and augment beings of any race and used them as loyal soldiers. There seemed to be different levels to it, seeing as only a few were able to mutate and gain green appearances along with strange abilities whereas the rest only gained a green aura and symbol on their forehead, but Ghost didn’t know enough to speculate.

 

What he did know was that the powers that those people gained possessed a strong enticement to both Monsters AND Blood Fiends, causing some of them (mostly Monsters) to betray their rulers and join the Phoenix of Envy.

 

Faced against a force like that, there was nothing that he or Asura could do. They were defeated. Almost killed in fact.

 

So just like that, the Phoenix of Envy, a being who they had eventually come to learn used to be a lowly Beast and not even the half and half thing that it was now… had become the new Demon Emperor and Lord of all Monsters. What a terrifying day that was.

 

Ever since then, Ghost had come to know the true meaning of perpetual fear. Not a single day passed where he could grasp peace of mind or adequate sleep. He would always wonder when his turn would arrive and if he should flee the continent like Asura had done before the Phoenix arrived and his losses became too great. Sooner or later the terror would attack and he would have to submit or flee, and since he refused to submit, would it not be best to follow in Asura’s steps and flee before he suffered and irreconcilable loss?

 

But in the end, the thought of having to flee in such a disgraceful manner was harrowing and he decided to wait for a little longer. His hope was that he would get lucky enough to stumble across  something unique that would grant him immense power, kind of like the strange 3rd eye that Asura had obtained a few years after the World evolved, but better so that it would enable him to fight off the Phoenix of Envy.

 

But that didn’t happen.

 

Nothing that Ghost expected or hoped for happened. The Phoenix of Envy didn’t come for him and he didn’t obtain any useful power. Instead, the Phoenix of Envy seemed to be rebuilding the Monster territory for its own purposes and ignored him like they hadn’t been viciously fighting each other for 8 years.

 

Like that, years continued to pass and other than a few strange things here and there, he was actually able to regain a semblance of peace. He was even able to build up his forces without resistance and rarely ever saw the daunting figures of the powerful creatures that had invaded his continent.

 

Of course, even if there was no fighting or warring, his territory kept on becoming smaller and smaller. Somebody from the Phoenix's new territory would cross the borders a little bit and build whatever without his permission, no questions asked... But to him, it didn't matter.

 

One day, he would learn all the strengths and weaknesses of the Phoenix of Envy and then use it against him, just like he did to Asura. Soon - it would be hard but soon, he would take it all back.

 

Everything that belonged to him, including the entire Continent, would eventually fall into his hands.

 

It was on that day, as he was thinking such bold things, just 2 years ago (Year 170)… that the Devils attacked.

81