Chapter 3: Burning Resolve Awakens!
129 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Calamity

Huh... who's there?

Don't be afraid.

It was the same voice. The sadness filled within it was enough to make him sad as well. He had always been one to shoulder the burdens of others, but for once, he wasn't sure he could take on this sadness.

Am I dead...?

"It's okay. Don't be afraid."

Who are you?

 "Elira."

Just as she said those words, he woke up. An all to familiar voice exclaimed "Ohhh!! You're awake."

Mae.

She had been sitting besides him with a book in her hands. Her armor and gear were all taken off and she was wearing a simple light blue dress with frills at the skirt and cuffs.

A single red gem rested right on her bosom. "I was beginning to worry you might not wake up at all."

"What happened... how long was I out?"

She closed the book promptly. "Well, to answer your question, you got knocked out by a level 2 lesser goblin. I was prepared to help you out, but it looks like the rest of your team took care of them beforehand."

"As of how long you've been gone..."

She tapped the bottom of her chin. "mmm...I'd say its probably been a week since then."

"I see..."

He tried to sit up-right in bed. But a shot of pain spread throughout his entire body.

"Try not to move. While it was an inferior goblin, it did hold a blessing."

He grimaced. "A blessing? The hell is that."

She laughed. "I guess I didn't quite express that before. blessings are skills innate skills that sometimes cannot be learned by others no matter how proficient they are. That goblin seemed to have been deemed worthy by one god or another. "

 "It was... unusually competent for a goblin. Every hit it did emitted lightning damage from its tips and it so happened to hit you precisely at the C-1 Cervical vertebrae. Just as your brain connects to your spine."

She yawned. "Luckily, it was only level 2, so there shouldn't have been much strength behind it. The reason why you got knocked out for so long I suppose is... well, because you're weak, Rhys."

"All of my years, I haven't yet heard of an adventurer knocked out by goblins. So you must begin to train yourself."

"Hey, to be fair, there were 2 of them."

She laughed. "I suppose you got lucky you didn't face the one with the spear. However... you most of your comerades are already levels ahead of you. In the week that you've been gone, they've all leveled significantly."

She got up to go. "I'm simply doing my part in watching over you for failing to save you from such a strike. But now that you're awake, I'm sure you should be able to manage just fine. If you wish to quit being an adventurer, your money shall be awarded to you as well."

The two robed ladies came in just as she had opened her door. Her shift appeared to be over. She turned around and playfully stuck a tongue out at him before waving him off.

"How long until I'm able to move?"

"It should only be a day or two. We've been gradually repairing your system throughout. The most you should experience is casual soreness. We'd recommend you take it easy after that."

"I see..."

so everyone else is already leagues ahead of me.. That won't be an issue. I can catch up. I definitely... won't be useless. Not in this world too.

One of the ladies dropped a heavy bag on the table next to his bed. The clinking of metal rang for several seconds on after.

"Huh..what's this for?"

"Well, are you not resigning?"

"Resigning? Where'd you get that idea? I was summoned to this world because she needed help, wasn't I?"

"Who needed help?" The two looked concerned.

"Elira."

They heard the name, but seemed completely unfamiliar with it. They shared a nervous glance at each other before finally nodding.

"There's no one by that name among the 12 adventurers who summoned you."

"Oh and by the way-" The other one butt in. "The only adventurers that are aware of your transmigration are diamond rank and above. Please refrain from casually speaking of it."

"Anyways, if you still wish to train to become an adventurer, we cannot stop you against it. However..."

She stood up. "I'd highly advise against it. How many adventurers have we seen come and go? You are astoundingly weak. Not everyone of your ability is cut out for adventurer's work. We've seen many die in the process... I'd rather not watch yet another one."

 "Among the group...are there others who have also quit?"

"Well of course. Naturally, not everyone is willing to do what may be necessary."

"Then, I have one more question for the both of you."

The duo looked at each other before sychroniously nodding.

"What exactly is it that you need help with? Why did you call us all over here?"

They now stood and turned to leave. "Unfortunately, they do not tell us much. Only that a horrifying evil is headed for this world. One so powerful, they require the help of summoned heroes."

"Any more information will actually have to be taken from the guild head." They promptly closed the door and left."

He ate the rest of his food before slowly drifting back to sleep. In that tranquil slumber, was when his dreams began to visit him again.

"Please....reach me."

"Who are you? Where are you?"

The calamity is coming. Faster than ever. You must help me before it can progress.

"You who I called here. You are the only one. Reach me...and once you do, reverse all of this."

"Where are you?"

"...."

"..............."

"...Hurry."

"You may find all your answers in the Valley of Red Grass."

"The valley... of red grass."

He woke up instantly after that. He was panting heavily. The toll of these odd dreams were beginning to toil with his mind.

He got up. It appeared it was still the middle of the night. Laying in bed wouldn't do too much. He needed the breath of fresh air and to at least move his body.

He got up, surprisingly the pain he was feeling wasn't too bad. He cracked his neck. As he stretched the rest of his body started creeking. "..Hm?"

Something shiny caught his eye at the foot of his bed. A suit of armor all comprised of leather, a small dagger, and a small leather buckler.

"...who?" He instantly activated his Mana to visualize the God Aura."



Round Buckler Shield: Lvl 1                           Dagger: Lvl 1, *+2 puncture

      Sawtooth Blade: Lvl 1, *+4 Severance

Leather Greaves: Lvl 1                        Leather Gauntlets: Lvl 1 *


Upon closer inspection it gave him details of their max damage properties, as well as class requirements.

He picked up the gear only to find a notebook underneath the gear. "Huh...this was-"

It was the same book Mae was reading earlier. He quickly peered through each of the list on the book. It seemed, it was an instruction book she was writing.

The first line read as follows.

"Do not get all sentimental. I simply do not wish to see you die so pitifully. This book will not ensure your safety should you choose the life of an adventurer, but it should very well ensure your confusion is deterred."

"I see...heh....thank you, Mae." Unlike the two sisters, Mae was clearly confiding in him. The only reason she would take the week to write this book would be because she was certain he would choose the life of an adventurer.

Does that mean she bought me these as well? He eyed the gear that was left to him.

That's right. Even if I'm weak... even if I'm far behind the rest of the others. I was brought into this world to be a hero too.

Even with his soreness, he geared up with all of his necessary tools. He felt much stronger in them. The dagger rested in his greaves comfortably.

The first step wrote.

1. First and Foremost, Familiarize Yourself With Weaponry.

-Swinging around weapons you are unfamiliar with will result in just embarrassment.

There was a poorly drawn picture accompanying this of Rhys getting hit in the back of the neck after missing his first strike with the chakrams.

Alright. I guess I can't delay.

He breathed in, and working through the soreness in his body, swung the sword down as fast as he could.

He could feel his body ache and tingle with pain.

That's right. If I want to catch up... I can do this. I'd have to train 10 times harder than everyone. I can handle at least this.

He repositioned himself. Swinging again and again. There was no coordination in his wielding efficiency. But, he was certainly learning how to move his sword better.

Again, and again.  And Again. With each swing, his arms got heavier, but he continued.

335....600....781...928... Sweat was dripping down his entire body, and obscuring his vision. No matter how tired he was, he kept going.

Swing. Swing. Swing.. 1800..

.....3286

...................3287

..........................3288

.................................3289

Until suddenly, he was awoken by the sound of birds chirping. Before he had even realized it, the sun was out.

5