Chapter 7
258 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dale (POV)

Dale sat in a lotus position opposite his monster partner, Agni. They are inside the waste incineration section of the bunker. The feathers made from flames on the Agni’s dark metal body have grown in number and length over the last three days since she hatched.

While Dale is seated on a yoga mat on the floor, Agni is inside the oven releasing enough flames to cremate a human body. But, instead of destroying his Monster, the fire is being siphoned into her flame feathers.

The heat generated from the incineration oven is hot enough to make Dale’s skin turn red. Usually, people would dump their waste and leave the room before the incineration begins, but Dale had requested the Bunker AI to allow him to remain. It warned against such a foolish action, but Dale insisted because he discovered a connection with his Monster that required him to endure some pain. 

Dale’s Mind concentrated on the mythologies he learned about fire gods to the point where it drowned out his body’s discomfort from the heat. In this mode, Dale’s Mind could somehow link up with Agni.

As their minds melded, Dale recollected details about the Sun and mythologies that he had memorized during the final stages of egg fertilization. Helios, Apollo, Surya, Ra, Amaterasu, Freyr, Garuda, Mithras, Sol, and Hvar Kjshaita. All these Sun gods were worshiped or respected by ancient human civilizations. Their abilities and deeds are recited repeatedly.

Dale felt the presence of Agni’s Mind consuming his thoughts and desire to harness the traits of those sun gods. This continued for hours without a break.

The flames around Agni grew stronger until they finally gathered into a ball in front of Agni’s beak that kept compressing itself until it resembled a miniature sun. Finally, at the end of the fourth hour of meditation, Agni opened her beak and swallowed the small miniature sun whole.

The Rubies on her body shined along with the flame feathers, indicating that she was ready to evolve.

[Monster Partner Agni is ready to evolve!]

[Does User Dale approve the evolution request?]

“At last!” Dale yelled as he opened up the incineration oven to let Agni come out of it.

After four hours of reciting a long mantra of the solar mythologies, Dale believed Agni benefited greatly from his efforts. A new mystical aura emanating from Agni made her seem like something beyond just a fiery metal bird.

[Choose One Combat Style: Monster-User Fusion, Equipment Transformation, or Skill Transfer]

“Please explain each of them.”

[Monster-User Fusion - The user and the monster partner will be fused together when this mode is activated.

Equipment Transformation - The monster partner will become armor and weapons, which will then be equipped to the User when this mode is activated.

Skill Transfer - The User will be able to execute the skills of the monster partner or temporarily swap the skill with a paired User]

“Interesting… How do I pair up with another Monster App user?”

[Certain conditions have to be met to allow pairing of Monster Apps between different Users]

“Could you explain those conditions to me?”

[They are hidden]

“I see.” 

Dale gave up on that option because of how vague its powers are. He thought hard for a minute before sighing and resolving himself with his choice.

“I choose the combat style, Equipment Transformation.”

[Combat style has been selected and bonded to the User’s account]

“I really hope I don’t regret it.”

[Detecting Monster Type: Mind, Sun, Mana, Bird, Metal]

[Users who selected Mind over Body must choose one of the following to master]

[Enhanced Mana Regeneration, Enhanced Elemental Damage, or Extra skill slot]

“Give me the Extra skill slot.”

[Extra skill slot Mastery has been selected and bonded to the User’s account]

[Agni will now evolve into the Second form]

Agni’s body is enveloped in a white shining sphere that then shatters and reveals a five-foot-tall (1.5 meters)Shoe-Bill Stork encrusted with large rubies on its wings, beak, and eyes. In addition, the body is covered in sharp black steel-shaped feathers. From Agni’s wings, the top of her head and tail rose bright red flame feathers that faded into purple fire wisps.

Agni unfolded her black steel ruby-encrusted wings that spanned eight feet (2.5 meters [8 feet]) wide and increased the fire output of the flame feathers until the entire room was bathed with their heat. This Shoebill Stork closely resembled the Galarian Moltres in Pocket Monsters.

The flames licked at Dale’s red skin and then started to heal them back to their original color. Previous burn wounds he received from Agni are now completely healed. However, the flames had not damaged the surroundings, contrary to what should have happened.

The flames retreated into Agni’s body, which seemed significantly weakened by the effort. The rubies on her body had looked dull now. The glimmer they possessed after evolving has disappeared.

Agni’s ruby eyes and beak also took on a dull appearance. Even her flame feathers winked out of existence before she collapsed on the floor, groaning in pain. She looked like a dying phoenix about to turn into ash.

“Lina! What was that skill Agni used?”

After he asked the question, the Monster App projected the skill list.

[Monster Skills: Holy Flames (Beginner), Solar Charge (Beginner), Jet Propulsion (Beginner), FireBall Barrage (Beginner), Flashbang (Beginner)

Holy Flames- The Monster’s flames become Holy, allowing it to heal any wound or affliction. The severity of the injury or pain will drain more Mana to cure it. This skill cannot be activated without Mana.

Solar Charge- The Monster constantly absorbs the Sun’s energy through the large gems encrusted on its body, converts it into Mana, and acts as a Mana power bank. It cannot gather Mana any other way. This skill will be deactivated at night or in a space without sunlight.

Jet Propulsion- The Monster’s metal wings create Mana-powered jet engines with Mach 1 speed while flying straight. This skill cannot be activated without Mana or gets deactivated if Mana runs out while the skill is being used.

FireBall Barrage- The Monster creates several giant fireballs out of Mana and launches them at opponents. This skill cannot be activated without Mana.

Flashbang- The Monster produces a bright flash of light and loud sound to stun or disorient opponents without causing severe injury. This skill cannot be activated without Mana]

“These abilities are insane!”

Dale had spent the last three days on the Monster App watching videos uploaded by Tamers, who had successfully evolved their Monster partners into the second form. Rebecca suggested it because they gave insights on how to unlock the best abilities.

Your Monster’s skills are heavily influenced according to the elemental attribute chosen during fertilization. Especially if you had selected the Mind over matter option. If Body over Mind was your pick, one would obtain skills that boosted speed, raw physical strength, or bulletproof defenses. 

If one chose the equipment transformation, their partners would turn into the ideal weapon and armor. However, if the Tamer had no experience handling weapons or training in a martial art, they only got a highly detailed cosplay outfit. Thus it was recommended to pick something you are good at or experienced in to bring out your true potential.

What you crave is what you get! That is what Dale learned since he hatched Agni.

There isn’t any guarantee that everything you wished for would appear, but at least one or two of them would undoubtedly come through. But the Tamer must visualize or desire it enough that their partners understand the goal. The stronger the connection, the better the result after evolution.

It usually has to do with the Monster’s elemental affinity or attribute. For example, if one chose the sea option during egg fertilization, submerging in water helped the Tamer bond with their aquatic partner.

When Dale burnt his hands while cooking, he sensed Agni’s Mind trying to absorb his pain. At first, Dale thought getting burned was the only way to connect with Agni and asked the others if it was a good idea.

Rebecca, Mash, and the Twins thought Dale had gone crazy and suggested ways of feeling the heat without damaging Dale’s body to the point where it would be covered in severe burns. It all led to meditating inside the Incineration section of the bunker.

When Dale asked Mash and Rebecca how they were going about creating a mental link with their partner, he was surprised by how little they cared for what abilities their monster partners gained. Mash spent all his free time in the Gym training martial arts skills, and Twiggy watched him while munching snacks. Rebecca treated Luna like a slave and had the poor thing clean up the bunker with her slimy body, which had the properties of a floor cleaner.

The twins were ecstatic by the opportunity to get their pet Dinosaurs and turn them into armaments. So they began clearing the basic exercises needed to fertilize eggs. They also started learning to fight with a sword, shield, and bow. Dale admired the planning and vision for their future pets.

Dale wasn’t sure the mythological route would work since none of the Tamers who uploaded their strategies tried it out. Thankfully the results were beyond his expectations, and he was eager to experiment with the new skills. But Dale noticed that Agni looked exhausted from using the Holy Flames and didn’t seem to recover even though he gave her several minutes to rest and eat some of the leftovers from dinner. 

“Lina, what’s wrong with Agni?”

[Agni has expended too much Mana and is suffering from it]

“Can’t she just absorb more Mana by meditating?”

[According to the new skill Solar Charge, Agni requires direct sunlight to acquire Mana]

“Hold on… the Sun will only come out after several hours, and there is no way for me to leave the bunker even if there is daylight outside. Can’t she absorb the heat and light from the incineration room?”

[The Monster App says there are no shortcuts, only direct sunlight is the cure]

Agni began releasing mournful cries as she crumbled to the ground. Finally, she didn’t have the energy to stand up anymore.

Dale kneeled to the ground beside his partner and began stroking her long flame feathers to calm her.

“If I un-summon her, will the pain stop?”

[Agni will remain in suspended animation in the app, but it will not cure her]

“Unsummon, Agni!”

Once his Monster dematerialized, Dale walked to the elevator that connected the bunker with the frozen Alaskan wilderness above. The Bunker’s AI created a 3D avatar projection of a Butler that lifted its right arm to stop Dale.

[User Dale is not authorized to leave the bunker]

“Sorry, but this is kind of an emergency for me. I need some sunlight to help a friend.”

Dale pulled out the Monster App and showed him the Monster App.

[The President has forbidden anyone from leaving without permission]

“How do I get in touch with him?”

[User Masher Royce will be able to assist User Dale in this matter]

Dale was a bit upset with the AI not giving him a break, but he understood it was just following orders. Dale then walked to Mash’s room and knocked on his door several times.

When the door opened, Dale found a seven-foot humanoid Turtle staring back at him. 

“What’s up, Dale?” The Turtle-Man spoke with a voice that was like gravel stones rubbing against each other.

“Mash, is that you?”

“Course it’s me! I just fused with Twiggy and have been working out the new skills. Why do you look so surprised?”

“Just shocked by your choice. Won’t the turtle form make it difficult to do Martial arts?”

“Didn’t stop the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, did it?”

“Ah, I see.”

Mash then canceled the fusion form with Twiggy and changed back to his human body. Fortunately, the Monster App gave him back the clothes he wore before the transformation. Twiggy appeared by Mash’s feet before darting towards a strawberry that had fallen on the floor.

“So what brings you here in the middle of the night.”

“I need to contact the President and get his permission to leave the bunker.”

“Don’t tell me you are quitting on us.”

“Not quitting. I just need a bit of Sun.”

Dale then explained what happened with Agni and the pain she was enduring from Mana depletion. Mash was surprised by the problem and consulted with his AI to check if what Dale said was true. He was worried that Twiggy had a similar limitation, but to his relief, martial arts depended only on stamina and nothing else.

“Sorry, but the big guy puts the safety of his daughters above all else. So I don’t think it’s a good idea to tell him about everything we have been up to here.”

“No, he doesn’t need to know all of it. Can you just ask him if we can take his twins to the surface for a day as a Christmas gift?”

“A picnic in the frozen Alaskan wilderness? Are you out of your mind?”

“What’s going on between you two at this hour?” Rebecca grumbled as she walked out of her room and came over to interrupt their discussion. 

“Sorry, did you wake up because of us?” Dale asked.

“I evolved Luna into her second form a few hours ago, and I got too freaked out to sleep.”

“Freaked out? Did she attack you?”

“Nothing like that. Luna’s personality is similar, but her new form is terrifying.”

“So you won’t bring her out anymore? You won’t be able to use her skills.”

“Not necessary for a Skill Transfer user. I can activate her skills anytime I wish without summoning her.”

“Really? Like what kind of skills did you get?”

“I can now summon a giant golem, worker ants, and warrior caste ants made of Earth and Wood to do my bidding.”

“Damn! How many?”

Rebecca ordered her AI butler to reveal her Monster’s skills. Dale and Mash came to inspect the description.

[Tamer: Rebecca Lawman

Monster Type: Mind, Mountain, Mana, Insect, Wood

Monster Name: Luna (Terra Ant Queen)

Mastery: Extra skill slot

Combat Style: Skill Transfer

Skills: Terra Fortress (Beginner), Terra Warrior Caste Eggs (Beginner), Pheromone Communication (Beginner), Terra Giant Golem (Beginner), Terra Worker Caste Eggs (Beginner)

Skill Features:

Terra Fortress- The Ant Queen can terraform Earth and Wood elements around it to summon a one 10-foot tall Ant Hill around her body. The mound will be covered in layers of compacted Earth. Its structure can be manipulated to suit her needs as long as there is enough material and space. This skill requires Mana to be activated. Worker ants can improve and repair the Ant Hill with access to raw materials.

Terra Warrior Caste Eggs- When this skill is activated, an egg chamber is created underneath the hill where Soldier ant eggs fill the entire space. Seven-foot-tall Soldier ants made from Earth & Wood will hatch and be ready to fight with their mandibles every five minutes. Eggs will stop hatching if there is no mana to nurture them.

Pheromone Communication- The Earth Wood Ant Queen can use Mana to communicate with her workers, soldiers, and Golem. She can see what they see and instruct them what to do no matter the distance or depth underground. Skill deactivates when there is no mana.

Terra Giant Golem- Summon one Fifteen foot Tall Ant Golem made from Earth & Wood that will stand as a Guardian for the Queen. It will constantly absorb Mana from the Earth and transfer it to his Queen. The Golem is extremely slow, but it is also hard to destroy. If destroyed, it cannot be summoned for 24 hours. There is no other way for the Terra Ant Queen to gain Mana.

Terra Worker Caste Eggs- When this skill is activated, an egg chamber is created underneath the hill where Worker ant eggs fill the entire space. Ten five-foot-tall Workers ants made from Earth & Wood will hatch and be ready to work with their mandibles every five minutes. Eggs will stop hatching if there is no mana to nurture them]

“Anyways, what were you two talking about before I interrupted.”

“Dale wants to ask the boss to go for a picnic up top.”

“Why?”

Dale then explains Agni’s situation and brings her out for them to see.

“Hmmm… I think I have a solution for this.”

“Your ants?”

“Yes.”

“Can they make a hole through the bunker walls?”

“I have been itching to give it a try.”

Several hours later

The frozen ground on the surface collapsed and released a cloud of dust into the air. Several dozen five-foot-tall ants made of Wood and Earth emerge. Rebecca, Dale, and Mash appear out of the hole in the ground connected to a smooth tunnel. They find themselves in a dense forest near the bay. 

The first rays of sunlight broke through the forest canopy at that moment. Dale stayed silent as he watched the sun climb over the horizon and illuminate the beautiful landscape of Alaska hidden by darkness.

Beautiful mountains, ancient forests covered in mist, and the blue ocean where a pod of killer whales surfaced for air filled his sight.

“Come out, Agni!”

Agni materialized next to Dale, lying down, struggling to pick herself up to feel the rising sun's heat on her body. The rubies on her face start converting the solar rays into Mana, giving Agni more strength to lift her vast wings and spread them out to soak in as many rays as possible.

Several seconds later, the flame feathers on her body reignite, and she flaps them hard a few times before leaping into the air and climbing into the sky. The rubies on Agni’s body glimmered so brightly that he had to shield his eyes from getting stung by the glare.

Dale and the others watched as Agni climbed higher and higher before dropping down from the sky like a meteor. Then, swooping over the sea’s surface before using her wings as breaks to slow down and land back next to Dale.

Agni’s eyes showed gratitude as she nuzzled Dale’s head with affection with her huge ruby-encrusted beak. Dale and the others admired the Sun as it kept climbing upwards and bathing the world with light and warmth.

7