Day 3 (Part I)
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Heart pumping, pulse racing - Chiyo can feel the adrenaline course through her veins as she runs, the air exiting her lungs in short, gaspy exhales.  

“You bitch! Get back here!”

Her blood runs cold at the sound. The colour drains completely from her face as the thud of footsteps grow closer with each step. 

The loud, intrusive pulse that drums in her ear blocks out any other sound within the dark space. Forcing her legs to move faster, she runs, runs like her life depends on it. Even if there was no exit in sight.

As if God is playing a cruel trick on her, Chiyo finds her foot caught by an invisible force as she comes hurdling forward. She beats at her legs, shouting at them to move, to do anything. 

Please.

“Don’t think you’ll be able to get away from me,” A toneless guttural creeps into her ear “Ever”

Before she can think to react, something had already wrapped itself around her body and dragged her, kicking and screaming, into the depths of darkness. The void consumes her whole, her cries muffled for none to hear.   

——

Chiyo wakes up drenched in sweat. 

She lurches from the bed, eyes darting around to find herself still safe within the confines of the hotel’s luxurious bedroom. Alone. Thankfully. A weak stream of silver spills through the gaps in the curtains, a faint attempt to light up the room.

Dawn must have not broken yet. 

Bleary eyed, she manages through some incredible force of nature to manoeuvre past the vague geometric shadows to tumble into the bathroom. 

It’s just a dream. 

Chiyo feels her head weighing more than usual. She fumbles for the bottle of paroxetine hidden inside her make up pouch and it clatters loudly to the floor, all that’s inside spills onto the marble tiling.  

He’s not here anymore. It’s just a dream. 

With the pills back inside the container, she stands back up. The face that stares back at her is surprisingly a sight for sore eyes. The same unruly baby blue hair and eye bag heavy face watches her with a rivalling tiredness, yet she’s glad to see it. Glad to see that she’s still here. 

She reaches out and their hands meet in the middle, the glass cool under her touch. She knows she keeps doing this. This same worn out routine. She’s tired, exhausted of seeing the same haunting reminder. And she hates it, despises the disconcerting and pitiful way it frowns back at her. But it’s better than admitting that that wretched face is nothing more than her reflection. And that she’s helpless against herself. 

Staggering backwards, her hand knocks against the cup on the countertop. The room is congested by the sound of breaking glass, a million fragments scattering across the floor. Chiyo blinks, as if snapping out of a daze. Immediately, her eyes fall to the mess on the floor. Reaching to gather the broken shards, she winces. Red stains the floor, colours creeping from between her fingers. Trickling onto the sleeves of her pyjamas, bright red blooms into patches of darkening hues. With a gripped fist, she curls into herself. 

“Please”

Just leave me alone. 

——

0