2. Just Another Job
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tor walked into the headquarter to pick up a mission as usual. And as usual, Maria is waiting in the receptionist. “Good morning! You came earlier than usual. Another dungeon exploring quest I take it?”

“Indeed. I don’t want to miss out on it. The amount of exploration quest keeps getting lower.”

“There is more demand in patrol and small expedition rather than dungeon exploration these days.”

“Well, I’m fine as long as I still able to do more of this. Thanks Maria.”

“Don’t forget your supply, this one is another long exploration.”

“I won’t”

***

He just finished getting his sword from blacksmith when he meets Sina along the way. “I prepared your supplies,” she said while offering a leather satchel bag. “At least it gives you half a day or one day extra.”

“Thanks. I appreciate it.” He took it. “How’s life?”

“Pretty nice. Business running as usual again.”

“Good to hear.”

“You know how my business is seen by the church,” she chuckled at his response.

Tor just dismissed it. “I will be away for a while as usual.”

“Here, I brought some fuel for your lantern. Take care.”

***

He stood at the mouth of the cave. This one is a normal cave as most of it were. It wasn’t unique enough to warrant a name unlike Mah’ab and Tanam. That doesn’t mean it’s less dangerous though. There is a lot of cases of people disappearing since one might get lost or die if one isn’t careful. After staring at the gaping mouth of it for a while, he went in without hesitation.

Not far from the entrance, he jumped sideways to evade a bull charge. It pointed its middle horn at Tor before lunge forward.

Before the stairs down to second level of the cave, the path was blocked by a goo. It’s so easy to kill as it is easy to burn, the reason why it became fuel for lots of fire source like lantern, torch, and bonfire. While alive, it can use its substance to devour anything even metal. By striking its core, he could salvage some fuel for his lantern. However, since he has enough fuel thanks for Sina, he instead burns it and ran away because as long as the core still intact, the burning goo can still attack. He just needs to wait a bit longer for the core to melt.

***

He was on the second floor. His back was against someone’s. The two were surrounded by cave goblins. Going against one or two of them is fine, but a group of more than five is a hassle.

“Any idea?” said the man with bald head Tor just met.

“Honestly, no idea. Just smack them I guess?”

“Sounds like a plan to me!” exclaimed the bald-headed man as he jumped onto the group and started swinging his sword, severing the monster’s head from their bodies.

***

A blonde woman clads in metal armor approached him as he sat down drinking. “What was that plan?”

“Smacking them.”

“That’s not a plan.”

“Sounds like one to me.” Tor said nonchalantly as he puts his supplies together into his bag.

“It’s just brute force!”

“So? You didn’t have any other idea anyway, miss Ala-whatever-it-is.”

“Alana.”

“That.” Tor stood up preparing to go exploring the dungeon again. “Listen, I don’t care about you. If you are searching for exit, just go straight to where I come from, and then took left at the diverging path.”

“Wait a second! I’m not going out from here; I am doing quest!”

Tor was taken aback. “Wait what do you mean?”

“You heard it right, I’m taking an adventurer quest.”

***

Tor and Alana just defeated three lizard man wandering around the middle part of second level. Alana was picking up a head when Tor approached her. “You done?”

“Yes. So, where to next?”

“It should be that way. We are close to the third level.”

“Huh, I thought exploring second level would take longer.”

“I did this level before. The next one will be quite a challenge.”

“I can’t wait to finish the third level.”

***

Before them was a three-way path that leads to three different unknown places. Alana just waits for Tor to do something ... or choose something to be precise.

“What do you think?” asked Tor.

“Well, uh, I don’t know. This is my first exploration quest.”

Tor turned his head to his right side. “Hmm, then we are going this way.”

***

They rested in a room with subterranean river far in front of them. Alana is holding a piece of paper and a pen. Tor guided her to make a map, so they don’t get lost.

“I can lend you so you can create your own.” She offered.

“No need. I don’t want to waste them too.”

“Your loss. Anyway, why are you here?”

“I’m just doing my job.”

“So, you are one of those dungeon explorers.”

“Yes.”

"You are more of the typical dungeon explorer?"

"What do you mean, typical?"

"I met some of them in the capital. They were preparing for expedition quest. I was wondering why they were called a band of dungeon explorer rather than adventurer."

"Rough times, some of us has to spread out, doing other job to sustain ourselves. Most of the time we just explore the cave."

"I see."

***

They were walking through the narrow corridor of the cave when they heard rattling sound. They looked back to see several skeletons rose up from death. This is quite the problem since Tor doesn’t have any counter measure to go against the likes of undeath.

One creep closer to him and his smash the animated bone to pieces only for it to rebuild itself, giving time for Tor to move back.

“Can you cover me?”

“Sure thing.” Answered Tor. He thought she is probably going to do some church shenanigans that he couldn’t. But as long as it helps, he has no other choices. He kept smashing the skeleton to pieces before a light emanating from her sword.

“Thanks!”

The skeleton littered the ground. Alana was inspecting something when Tor approached her. “Find something?”

“No, I didn’t find what I need.”

“So, you will still follow me?”

“Seems so, hope you are fine with it.”

“I’m fine with it. Your skill is helpful here.”

“Happy to help.”

***

They arrived at a dead end. Behind them is an army of skeleton. Tor and Alana both ready their sword.

“Are we smacking them?”

“We are smacking them.”

Before this, they were just exploring the cave. Alana put the purifying blessing to his weapon so in the case of undead attack, he can fend for himself. They never thought they would face an army of skeleton.

***

They now stand above thousands of littered bones covering the ground. Just a tiny movement from their feet caused rattling sound. Alana and Tor tried to rest for a bit before continuing their exploration.

"I'll admit, that was pretty fun," smile was painted on her face as she said that.

"Sure is."

"Never thought I'd see fighting as something that at least give some kind of entertainment."

"How do you... 'knights' see fighting?"

"Mostly it's about duty, responsibility, or obligation. We swore upon the holy scripture that we shall purge evil from the earth. A more personal reason would be some kind of self-improvement. "

"Is that why you are here?"

"I have... my own circumstances. It has nothing to do with churches. Although, this amount of skeleton undead inside a cave should not be ignored."

***

Days gone by. While Tor was able to finish his quest, Alana ended up with nothing. They were greeted by the sight of people passing by and some adventurers walk into the dungeon. A refreshing sight after only looking at rocks and wall inside the cave. Alana and Tor part their ways. He went to the headquarter to trade in his bounty.

However, as he steps into the headquarter, the mood was awkward. Tension was rising. It is not a unusual thing for him to miss out on what's happening. So, he didn't mind it too much. He stood in front of the desk to report before asking Maria what was going on.

"It's the church. They came here the day after you went to the cave and then announce that they will settle here."

"How long?"

"We don't know."

***

"You found me," said Sina as she sat in front of a mirror in her sex lair.

"I figure you would be waiting for me."

"I suppose you want something?"

"I want to thank you." He dropped a pouch of coins more than the cost of getting extra supplies.

***

"Are you sure you will be okay with the church here?" said he as he stared at her bare-naked body yet to be covered by a piece of cloth.

"They won't do anything. They don't have any reason to do anything about it."

***

It was morning when he walked into the headquarter. There he was greeted by an unfamiliar sight. The adventurers coming there for taking a quest were aggravated. Their eyes fiercely glaring at the church knight standing in front of the receptionist. Tor isn't as angry as the other adventure, but he didn't want any problem so he waited somewhere in the room.

"These scumbag tryna took our job, saying that the cave is dangerous."

"They think they can just took our job away?"

The low murmur just shows contempt for the knights. One wrong word or move from the knight, this place would be one hell of a mess. The murmur stops when a thundering voice assaulted the room.

"You could use a more diplomatic way to approach us, y'know."

That voice come from the leader of this town branch of the guild, Marex.

"Marex, apologize for our lack of courtesy, but we have our reason for our hastiness."

"I hate that you have a reason for causing such a ruckus."

***

Today will be a short one. Lizardman mostly found in second level of the cave. But just before he went in, a familiar voice rang in his ear. He turns around expecting Alana to appear. He didn't expect the other two people with her.

"Alana, Sir Marex, Sir Paladin. Is there anything I can do?"

"I heard your little adventure with Alana a few days ago. I wonder if you would help us with your experience in exploring dungeon."

Tor took his time before answering his question. "I do this for a living. It was an accident that she tagged along with me exploring the dungeon."

"How much do you want?"

"Depends. What do you want me to do? If you just want me to be your guide, then the average pay is enough. How deep we are going? if we are going deeper I will need enough coins to sustain myself for the next two or three months."

"It's easy then. When can we go?"

"The day after tomorrow, I'm doing quest right now. And I want to have time to prepare."

"Fair enough."

Working with church is not the most pleasant thing to do. But money is money, as long as they can pay, it's a contract that he want to do.

0