Chapter 1
47 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

 

 

 She sort of appeared right before December started. Towards the end of November. I remember heading to the front of the shrine to get my shoes. It was early morning and I typically went out to get groceries while my brother got time to wake up from his nightmares. That morning I found my mother speaking to someone. I couldn't really tell who it was until I passed the corner that led from the hallway to the entrance door. There, I saw Baja. With her usual sinister look although her smile seemed welcoming. She always kept her lips inward, like an old person without dentures. Nonetheless she noticed me nearly instantly while nodding to whatever my mother said. They'd always converse every morning. It didn't seem like anything strange. Until I got closer to get my shoes from the shoe compartment. Just behind Baja, who wasn't any taller to begin with if you ask me, stood a young girl without shoes on … excuse me for that being the first thing I noticed! 

 

 I mean, the floors were so chilly that morning, that was the first thing I sought. It reminded me that I also had to call the heat technician. He'd promised to stop by the previous day but never did! Winter was fast approaching for crying out loud! Plus midterms, there's no way I wanted to get sick at the final stretch. That loudly old coot! I'd have to stop by his place at a later point. He's the only one that tends to the towns shrines since the power cords stretch off into the mountain side known as Shigiri. No one dares go in there because of the scary rumors that those who've committed suicide in there; roam looking to entrap all who enter as to not be alone. I mean, they should have thought things through if you ask me but that wasn't my concern anyway. I had school to get to, breakfast to make; a life to live! That is, until my mother turned to me and explained as I slipped my shoes on. 

 

 It went something along the lines that we now would have visitors cohabiting in our shrine as a means to raise extra cash. The same thing my brother had mentioned a few nights prior. Why was she telling me this? Not like I had a problem with it at all. This very subtle fact I noticed, led me to face her as she slipped a bottle into her mouth, drinking up its contents like a baby hooked to a bottle. Did I mention my mother loves to drink in the morning. That's drunkards for you. In any case, this lady suddenly coiled her arm around my neck and pointed at the mute girl. You know, the odd one not wearing any shoes. Apparently she'd be our first client for our rental family. Courtesy of Baja. She brought her all the way to us, that witch! I said it before, I have no problem with renting a few rooms but the problem was this girl. She seemed like a flat out Lolita. The kind you'd find in some stereotypical Manga. Her two cowlicks didn't help at all and her sleepy expression only screamed jailbait. I say all of this because of my brothers sister complex. I mean, this guy would raise hell if he got attached to her. He'd been imprisoned well over three times over the last month's for confusing random girl's for my deceased sister. This would be a problem begging for an even bigger problem to slam right into a missile barrage of larger issues! But money was involved. My mother never turned down money, so I understood. She told me not as a means for me to decide but rather … and that's how I found myself being followed by this girl. Mogi. Our first morning together was something. I never got a peaceful moment ever since. Or at least for a while over the weeks that followed. 

 

For one, she didn't listen to me. Although I offered her a pair of shoes, she never listened. My mother invited Baja in and sent me off to buy groceries. The girl behind me sort of just followed me for no reason without saying a single word. I mean, come on. You could have at least greeted me. It's weird being followed by a girl. It's a first for me. I've never really had anyone like that. I had a twin sister but I don't have any memories of her. So I've never been around a female my age. Well, except my crazy childhood friend Kija.

 

 Though she avoided me lately because of something I did. Girls man. This one in particular. 

 There were three stops we'd have to make. One of which was an errand, for my mother's booze. I tell you, it's her drinking that has us in turmoil half the time. Now we were resorting to being a rental family?! My luck. I spaced out, before I knew it I was standing in front of the old letter board and  slid by the red curtains. Kija, a classmate of mine, greeted me hesitantly. She already knew what I was there for. You know that girl, the childhood friend I was talking about? Yeah that's her. I could tell she was still really angry at me by the way she avoided me and bolted up a flight of stairs to the second floor of their home. The first being the base of her family's operations as a small Ramen shop / liquor store. Quite the mix. Have you ever had noodles that'd get you drunk? Neither have I and I was not about to try even if Mr.Sakamoto really wanted me to. He seemed to always be chummy with me. Maybe it's because he and the father I never got to know were close back in their younger days with my mother. None have explained much to me but from what I can tell, that guy is nothing but a lousy seed donor. I could go on about my thoughts on dead beats but I had other places to get to. Stepping outside, I found that weird girl again. 

 

 This time she was knelt down, staring at crates. Glass crates that had baby turtles inside of them. The heck? I reached for her shoulder, nudging her to stand. She didn't weigh much. I noted. It felt like I could throw her even with the slightest tap. What was it anyway? She seemed really focused on one particular one that only had one turtle. It seemed smaller than the rest. The vendor selling these turtles was a fisherman I'd seen around here and there. It didn't seem like he'd have much business but he came out from behind the small stall he'd set up and asked me if I intended to buy some turtles. Commenting they're great for growing and eating. I nearly gagged. What's with this guy? I replied it was nothing, I was only wondering how much the small turtle was. He explained that the turtle is worthless since it won't grow and over the last few days, no one has bought it. All of its counterparts being bought except it. Jeez, guess I wasn't the only one down on luck huh. The small turtle exuded a tiny aura of shyness with doom and gloom. I'd have left it, but this Mogi girl stared intently at it without saying anything. I tried to grab her wrist to leave but soon found myself … actually buying the turtle?! With my own money no less! 

 

 What kind of wizardry?! I couldn't help it. I just felt like I needed to get her it. The gaze she gave me didn't help. As soon as the little turtle jail was in her hands, her doopy expression returned. It wasn't until later that I'd find out how much of a mistake that was. A total of fifty yen for that turtle. Still I felt a bit relieved knowing it wouldn't be eaten now. My sentiments were definitely shared by the girl that continued to follow me. What was it the old lady had called her? Maggie? No… Mogi. 

 

She still hadn't said a single word. Not even a thank you after getting her that turtle. It went on the same through my trip for the other groceries. Gosh, it would have been nice if she at least helped. I made it home with all the bags stuffed in both my hands, my shoulders were on fire but it was finally over. I practically dropped the bag, having forgotten my mother's bottles were in there too. The clasp of the glass striking each other sent me into a scurry to make sure nothing broke. Thankfully nothing did, but that didn't mean nothing was broken inside as I'd soon come to find out. 

 

The old woman was gone but my brother was passed out cold on the floor with my mother wrapping him in a futon. If I weren't used to it, I'd probably be confused too. 

 

 As usual he was struggling and I guess my mother had informed him we'd now have a Lolita living with us as the first new member of our rental family. This hunch further reinforced when he flopped over and started wiggling towards Mogi, who'd just entered the living room. My mother dove onto him, I cringed at the sound of a crack. Surely his back. 

 

 My mother swung her finger at me, asking if I brought her drinks. Of course. These two. I clenched my hand into a fist. I'll get her the lousy drinks. Or else she'd attack me too. I was in no means in the mood for a work out that'd consist of me avoiding projectiles, where she'd turn anything into a weapon. I still had a really long day for school after all. So I got to cooking while Mogi stayed with me in the kitchen. I eventually got to asking my mother where the old hag went off to after setting a spread of breakfast for her and my brother. I placed some for Mogi but she just stared at it. Nonetheless, my brother was dragged off into his room before he went off to his clerk job. We still had to work around things with him. From what my mother said, the old woman would be stopping by another time to give her the money for the first month. We'd be taking care of Mogi with everything else. Wait, everything else? Didn't she have belongings? And other stuff? Just what was going on? I found that clearly strange but my mother told me to not ask as long as there was money involved. For her convenience of course. Was it safe to even leave Mogi with these people while I went off to school? I thought about it, but whatever. There's no reason for me to really care much but it's just common sense. 

 

 By the time I wrapped my brain around it all, I noticed it was already nearly nine in the morning. Drats! I had to go. I dove by the stool my mother sat on, only for her to grab the back of my collar; leading me to nearly choke! What the heck now?! Stop by kami’s for something he owed her? That's what she said but I was too late for school so I didn't bother arguing and went my merry way. 

 

 School itself felt like the only escape even though the information wasn't all that interesting. My friends who we’ll call Friend #1 and Friend #2 for now made it fun during the hour we could play rugby outside. The day wasn't all that different except at one point I glanced to the gated fences at the end of the field. The guys were clambering about the girls volleyball team and as those girls passed by, I noticed Mogi staring at me sleepily. The hell was she doing here?! I ran over to ask her that very question but found myself falling face first. Only a moment later did I see the others running to me. Someone had thrown the ball my way. I shouted for them to be wary of where they were flinging the ball only for Friend #2 to help me up, ranting to focus on the game not girls. Mogi! I glanced back but she wasn't there. But she for sure was on school grounds. Just my luck. I’d have to go make sure she's alright. Even though I shouldn't care at all. 

 

 I didn't even bother changing out of gym clothes. I used the excuse that I needed to drink water as a pretext to go find that troublesome girl. I thought she’d be with my mother but knowing she was living with us for the time being, does that mean she's going to a school near me? I never got to know her age anyway but she does look to easily be twelve or something. 

 

 My pensive thoughts got the best of me, I didn't pay too much mind since there weren't many people around anyway. Most of the students were now either in class or changing in the locker rooms. I stopped to look up at the second floor of a building and saw a few passing an open window. It was hopeless to go on a goose chase. I let out a sigh, slipping my hand to the back of my neck. That's the only thing that’d remind me to relax. Just then, there she was below a lamp post staring at me with that doopey gaze. What?! Mogi! I went up to her but found myself holding back the urge to shout upon reaching this girl. She only turned her head up to stare at me without saying anything. I asked if she had anything to say but she said nothing.. Was she mute or something? In any case, I couldn't just leave her around while I went to class. I thought over when I noticed her rummaging in the puffy coat she had on. Again, she was barefoot. I instantly came to that realization upon darting my sights to the ground. A ground that was littered with leaves and mud no less! It was a rainy day… and that's when my luck couldn't be any better. I felt a trickle patter on the back of my neck and like that drizzles ensued. I took her hand and tugged her along with me to find somewhere we could stand under. Nearby places, I chose to go under a bridge that connected where we were to the school observatory. There, she continued to be struggling with something in her pocket. What is it you have? I asked but she didn't answer and her struggling only led me to dig in her pocket myself and bring out some letter. From the way it was scrunched and the sporadic handwriting… it had to be my mother. How could Mogi find my school? Did that lady drop her off? No way! She’s passed out drunk on days like these. I squinted, taking a glance at Mogi tapping her feet in a puddle as she seemed focused on her reflection. Focusing back on the letter, I couldn't believe it. Now I had to go see Kami?! As usual there was no end to everything I had to do.. 

 

 There was no sense complaining. Nonetheless leaving school wasn't going to be easy. My bike was locked and wouldn't open until 2pm. I could still go get it but I knew that’d be a tall task to carry out knowing who was guarding that area. Guard. An arrogant middle aged bastard that gets his kicks out of pretending he’s some kind of guardian. Maybe I could have Mogi distract him though? But he’d only end up doing something perverted when I think of it. Drats. 

 

 When I tried to glance back down at Mogi I noticed- she was gone?! 

 

 Where? When did she move? I stepped out in search of her, little did I know she was at a short distance from where I'd been, now lightly levitating from the ground and her hand was soon taken by a girl. That I noticed when I tried to return to where I'd been and saw the girl speaking to her. That girl… She seemed familiar. She had the school uniform on so she must be from my school but and that's when I tried recollecting who she was. She definitely was in my grade but who she was exactly didn't appear in my mind and by the time I reached Mogi, that girl was gone. What exactly did she want with Mogi? I asked but Mogi didn't answer my question, Mogi only stared and that's when I heard a voice. From who? I turned around to see it was the same girl. An umbrella open and shoes in her other hand. From what she has I could tell she ran to get Mogi spare shoe's. 

 

 Is that your baby sister? I found her walking in the rain, said the girl. 

 

 --- 

 

 If you want this to turn into an actual manga series, share your thoughts and leave a comment if you want this to turn into 10 chapter's. 

 

 

0