Chapter 2: Shelter, Food and Pots
60 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Now that I have caught the fish, I only need to cook it to make sure there aren't any parasites. I read before that there are a few fish parasites that can survive even if their host is dead and can still infect humans, being in the middle of a forest, I wouldn't want to get any of that. You can never be too careful. "Now I only have to set up the fire and gather some clay while the fish cooks." I made a small fire pit and pilled the dried leaves onto it. to start the fire I decided to use the Spindle method to start a fire so I needed a string to make the bow and the thorny vines were the best material I can use to make some string from.

I went down the cliff and used a rock to sever the vines and remove the 1 Inch thorns from it. The thorns seem to be rather sharp and sturdy o I gathered them all up for later use. I made some string for the bow and save the rest for later. using the bow I started to rub the stick into the wood to make some ember but it was a little hard so I sued a thorn to make a drill and made a small hole and a grove where the ember will pass through. After rubbing the sticks for a few minutes, smoke started to come out so I transferred the ember into the pile of leaves and started blowing it until I got the fire going. I slowly piled some twigs and some wood to make sure the fire has enough fuel to go on, place the stick with fish near the fire, and went to the river to gather some clay.

Making pottery was rather simple, shape the clay, let it dry and then bake it in the fire. The knowledge I got from reading the books in the library became rather useful for me. I remember that firing the clay pots will help it retain the water longer and also make it more sturdy so I started to make small pots of various sizes, cups, a plate, and some bowls then I left them in the sun to dry.

After finishing, I checked up the fish and found that it was already cooked so I started eating. The fish tasted a little sweet and was so tender, it tasted delicious even without any condiments. I never had fished this tasty before, though I don't know if there was fish like this on Earth since I never bought fresh fish. After eating I walked around to look for a cave I can use as a shelter and where better else to look than the cliffside, so I walked down the cliff.

After about half an hour of walking I found an abandoned shallow cave, probably dug up by an animal and about a hundred meters from the river, there was a small clearing around it. I gathered the pottery I made, brought them to the cave, and also transferred the fire there. I made a brick mold using wood and gathered more clay and some dried grasses to make some bricks that I can use to make a makeshift kiln to bake the pottery. Using the clay and straw mixture, I made about 30 bricks, a flat circular bottom with some holes in it to let the heat through and a conical top with a chimney which I both reinforced with twigs to make it more sturdy then let it dry in the sun. I also need some concrete to assemble the kiln so I need to find some limestone. I only need to wait for it to dry.

Even though the cave can serve as a shelter, I still need to improve it a little. Having a wall to block the wind and keeping animals out is a good addition so I started looking for some dried branches, saplings, or dead trees. The forest had a lot of wood I can use, mostly saplings as the tree branches are rather too hard to cut, however, it took me a lot of time to cut them to size. I laid the cut wood vertically and tied them individually to another wood that passes them horizontally to give it more sturdiness. After making the 2 walls I dug up a small ditch about a foot deep and propped up the wooden wall slightly slanted into the entrance of the cave and fixed it into place with big rocks and burying a portion of the wall. I also made a door using the same method and used some strings so that it can be opened and closed. Using the leftover mixture I used for making the bricks, I plastered it into the wooden wall so that wind won't pass through. I also made a makeshift bed using dried grass and with that my shelter is done.

It was already past noon when I finished and overall it took me nearly 6 hours to make such a crude wall. If only I had the tools I would have finished it faster and easier making that my next goal, acquiring tools. I didn't have any metal though and even if I had some I would need a forge to make tools which I also don't have. "Sigh, I wonder if the cheats just came late. I could use some help right now." with no other choice, the only tools I can make are wooden and stone tools. "Great, now I devolved into a Neanderthal using stone. good thing that I read on all topics so I know how to make the tools." I grabbed my sturdy stick and walked out of my humble cave and head towards the river where the stones are abundant.

Walking around the edge of the river, I chose some flat stones and took those that looked like I can use as an ax, a hoe, a spear, and a dagger. There's a small boulder that can be used as a grinding stone to sharpen these rocks near my cave. I can also use the thorns and some embers to make a hole and fix the stones into a handle using some string. "Maybe I can even make a saw using the thorns but how will I keep them in place? Sandwiching them between two sticks will make them too thick to be used as a saw. Gluing them should solve the issue of being too thick. Hmm, should I make some glue using wood sap later?" I set the idea aside and decided to look for food.

Since I was near the river, I used my stick and whack some fish. I was able to catch 4 slightly bigger fish than the one I caught earlier. I removed the fish guts and tied the fish using some of the rope I made into my stick. Then I walked into the forest and looked for some edible fruits or plants and was able to find a group of plants that looked like potatoes. I dug up some of the potatoes and left the other for later consumption. "Well, at least I now have some carbs for my diet." I walked out of the forest and placed a marker in one of the trees to show where the potatoes are located. "This is a little far from the cave. I should set up a plot and plant some of these. It will probably take a month for the potatoes to grow and one or two more months until they will be ready for harvest. I should ready the pottery for firing so I can gather some water for both consumptions and for watering the crops." being satisfied with the food I have collected I walked back the way I came while collecting some sturdy sticks for my tools on the way. 

While I was walking back, I found a limestone deposit on the other side of the river. "Now I can finish the kiln I'll come back and collect some later." This also means I can make some roman concrete if I ever make a house. Sure the cave can do the job but having a proper house will help keep my morale high But I still need to make the tools first." I also left a mark using a big rock and tied one of the sticks I found. after I finished the marker I found the things I gathered that I set down and it looked like a large pile. "I should make some baskets so I can carry more whenever I go out. It will be easier to carry and will allow me to gather more. I will make it later while I'm resting." while I was thinking about it I felt hungry so I hurried back to my cave. 

After I reached the cave, I checked on the pottery and the bricks. The pottery was already dry so I went and collected them and placed them on one side. I placed 2 fish and potatoes over the fire and set aside the rest for later. While waiting for the food to cook, I made baskets out of the dried grass and string. After I finished two baskets I took the fish and potato out of the fire and started to eat. The fish had more fat than the previous ones I caught making it more flavorful. The potato was a little sweeter than your normal potato and tasted rather nice even without salt. After eating I rested for a few more minutes and made more baskets then, I picked up my trusty stick and went out with the baskets to gather some sand and limestone.

After reaching the area I marked I collected some smaller pieces and used a nearby rock to further crush the limestone into powder. I collected one basket of the powdered limestone and another basket for the sand which I brought back to the cave. I dug a small hole about 1 foot deep and about 1o inch wide and placed the dry bottom part of my kiln over it. Then I mixed the powdered limestone with the sand to make a sort of mortar , though it probably won't be as strong as modern day mortar, and then I arranged the bricklayer by layer until I reached the cover, while using the mortar to hold them together and left for it to dry.

I moved the clay pots inside the kiln, I would have liked to put a glaze into but I don't have the material needed. After arranging the pots, I covered the entrance with a slab on rock and started a fire into the pit under the kiln.  and by using convection, I no longer need to blow air to keep the fire going. I decided to add more wood and left the pottery to bake and check it out tomorrow. 

I went back to my cave and made a small firepit, across my makeshift bed, inside to keep me warm at night. I then cooked the remaining fish that I caught earlier with one potato and ate them as I watched as the night came. The sunset was a sight to behold and the view at night was even more amazing. You could see a lot of stars up in the sky. It was also the main reason that convinced me that this was another world, there were two yellow Moons. I watched the sky for a few more minutes then I close the door and laid into the bed. I remembered everything that has happened today and felt the fatigue catching up. Felling sleepy, I closed my eyes and hoped that tomorrow I will wake up back in my apartment and that maybe this was just a realistic dream, with that thought, I slowly felt my consciousness fade as I drifted to sleep. 

...

In a large hall decorated by the finest stones and metal, a figure could be seen sitting on a simple chair in front a table that looked out of place in this big hall while holding what seems to be cup of tea was watching a mirror like device. It was showing a sleeping man that seemed very tired. "Well, he certainly was the right choice. After arriving, rather than panicking or being angry like his predecessors, he was very calm, adaptable and quick witted. I hope he can help start a flow this stagnant world and bring change. I guess it is finally time to meet him" The figure flickered and disappeared and the large hall was enveloped in silence once more. 

2