Chapter #21: A Maiden in Distress pt2
97 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Well, my HP bar has seen better days and I can't explain how useful a Save and Load option would be for the Real-World Game. The times I would Save before an incident, make a mock battle to see how things unravel, and then Load again were countless. For me this process was like second nature, although many Players like my friend Smeme considered this kind of play through as cheating, or boring... This game is different though and I have to abide by its rules... for now.

I cast Mage Armor, and a protective magical field surrounds me. I feel my skin hardening, making it as tough as leather armor. Good, now time for the next spell in line: Infestation. It’s a conjuration cantrip spell that causes a cloud of parasitic insects to attack the target I wish. Admittedly, Infestation is a weak spell compared to others, only causing up to 6 Hit Points of poison damage, yet I can force my victims to move in the direction I want.

My prey, a level-3 bald thug, is the unlucky first that the mass of primitive, yet effective insects attack. Warped in a colorful sea of thousands of cockroaches, fleas, mosquitoes, and hornets that buzz and hum, the thug can feel the toxins causing significant harm on his skin. From where I stand I can see his skin boiling and blistering as it swells with red growths. It might only be a few Hitpoints of damage, but it looks horribly painful.

You have achieved a 4-Point Poison Damage, my NCI informs me.

All I care about is that the thug is away from the others, ignoring my deadly claws and maw. I take but only a few moments to finish him, my claws slicing proficiently across his throat with a Critical Hit that depletes his HP bar to 0. Great, now I must finish the remaining two for this optional quest to succeed. I wonder how the game will reward me for my valor. I have a few things in mind...

As the duo of mobsters attacks me, I cast Infestation once more to the nearest target and my parasites cause him a 3-Point poison damage and force him to retreat in the opposite direction. Buffed with Primal Savagery, I'm able to quickly dispose of the other, now dumbfounded thug, who's foolish enough to neglect my enhanced body. With a couple of slashes, I kill him effortlessly, but savagely compared to how I use Lush, my vampiric sword. The third and last thug falls prey to my Fire Bolt, ending his existence.

A surge of energy floods me and I see I've leveled up, reaching Threat Level 5! A myriad of messages pop-up before me, almost making me lose sight of my surroundings. I dismiss the level-up notification.

Another pop-up fills my vision with a new notification: Optional Quest: A maiden in distress completed!

Just disappear already, I'll check them later in my Adventurer's Log. Darn, more notifications coming!

Your Spell Inventory has been updated and new spells are now unlocked! My NCI informs me and I see two dozen new Tier-2 spells in my Spell Inventory. I'm sure I'll be able to put them into good use later but I wonder why all these spells appeared now that I reached Threat Level 5. It would make sense I gain spells with each level gained, but the game decides to reward me with them after I'm Threat Level 5. Well, I shouldn't be ungrateful for what the game masters provide. I dismiss the pop-up notification. There might be a reason, I think...

At last, yes, a wonderful victory! I saved the steamy wizard girl, leveled up, and gained a ton of new spells to play with.

To my surprise, I feel a cold hand on my shoulder, but the caress is familiar. "You did rather well, pet," my sexy vampiress commends me. "I can feel a surge of energy pulsating from your body. I wonder if you taste better," she adds and presses with her fingers the stabs at my back. The touch is intentionally rough and I flinch.

"Ouch, that hurt!" I protest and now see her holding with her other hand the heads of the two remaining mobs that managed to escape from me earlier.

She brings her fingers close to her nose and sniffs the red liquid, her nostrils widening as she takes in the scent. The aroma of my blood is exhilarating, I can see it in her eyes as she licks her fingernails, then casts her gaze on me, evaluating me as if I'm ripe enough to devour. A chill passes down my spine and I'm left to wonder if I'm just a pet for her or a domesticated animal waiting to be slaughtered.

Disrupting the awkward moment, the wizard girl approaches us quickly and bows before me. She wears a shimmering blue cloak with a cowl that compliments her skin-tight shirt. Her tantalizing skirt is cut in a way to reveal her feminine curves and I get that sexy wizard vibe. She is a knockout and I want her on my team. Staring at me with her green, confident eyes, I get a feeling of intimidation, the kind of look a hot girl that knows she is hot, opposed to how awkward and reserved I am right now. She stands before me, all prideful and composed as if she's in control, and to think I was the one who saved her a few moments ago.

"Thank you," she finally says with a smirk. "It seems you weren't in need of a savior."

Ambrosia throws the heads of the two thugs to the side. A splashing bang follows as they crash to the ground. She gives the wizard a boring half-shrug. In a competition of intimidation, the vampiress would surely be the winner.

"I think you should come with me," she offers as she shoves her hands in her pockets.

"Come where?" I want to know. "We're heading to..."

"Who are you? And what do you want in this part of the city?" Beautiful and savage Ambrosia intervenes, her Charm skill in effect, although harder to implement on the same gender.

A tooltip notification above the girl's head tells me she's been Charmed by Ambrosia.

"I'm Zoe, a wizard apprentice belonging to the Phratry of Helios. I was heading to the Adventurer's Guild for an important mission when I saw a mob attacking you and thought I'd help. A very important quest will take place soon and I think you'd be of substantial help to the expedition and the kind people of this city," she tells us and I notice she's holding a purple vial that she took out of her pocket. "Take this, it's a Potion of Lesser Heal. It will replenish your life force."

Involuntarily I get the vial, staring at it with a single eyebrow raised. Not sure if I'll be transformed into some kind of frog or if it's some kind of trap. I'm reluctant to drink something a hot wizard chick just offers me, although her wide, almond-shaped eyes put me at ease. I just saved her, there's no way she harms me.

"Drink, pet," Ambrosia orders me, a wary look on her face, seeing me in that pathetic state.

3