Chapter #37: The Artificer’s True Colors pt3
331 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

And here it is, like a performer entering the stage. It's a sad creature from what I can see, some kind of abomination that must have escaped from the pits of the Evil Domains.

"A blood fiend," Ambrosia says and takes the vanguard.

At least I now know its name. The Threat Level 24 Blood Fiend is an enormous creature, reddish in color, and has a maw with several lines of razor-like fangs. It walks on all fours and its razor-sharp claws extend from each of its limbs.

"Anything specific I should be aware of?" I ask Ambrosia.

"These deadly creatures are known for their ferocity and tenacity. They even prey on other fiends. We should watch out for its Terror Gaze. Its effects are similar to the lich's Frightening Gaze that you experienced earlier, although it can only affect one target. If it affects you, then you will be an easy feast," she tells me, now back at her casual snobbish and carefree look.

"Fuck, there's something wrong with the difficulty level of this game," I monologue once more, but both of my girls don't pay attention to my rambling. The blood fiend has their undivided attention.

The fiend is by a third higher level than Ambrosia. However, the vampiress has us as support. I think that we will be able to somehow defeat our nefarious opponent.

Ambrosia takes the lead and I follow right behind her, casting the last Tier-1 spell I have available in my spell slot for today: Sleep. As the enchantment takes place, I notice that another blood fiend is charging at us from the left side at full speed.

"Ambrosia, There's another!" I shout at her.

She stops and curses, "For fucks sake, I forgot that they usually come in pairs."

"I'm glad you remembered that now," I spit back ironically, but I regret it, as she stares me with a menacing look, shaking me to my core and making me remember my position and who the actual boss here is.

Not being fully able to concentrate, I manage to set only the first blood fiend into a magical slumber. It's a partial success, partial failure. The thing is, that the second one continues raging a path towards us.

Both Elektra and I stand behind Ambrosia and cast Fire Bolts, causing as much damage as possible. By the time the creature is close enough to engage in a melee battle, four of our attacks are successful and decreased its total HP bar down to 75%. Now it is time for hand to hand combat. Having Primal Savagery on the full leash, I attack the creature from the side as Ambrosia has its undivided attention. The creature and Ambrosia aren't at the same level, however, each blow inflicts around the same amount of damage at each other. Having Elektra support us from behind and me constantly attacking it with my sharp claws from the sides, we manage to dispose of it after a few more hits, but Ambrosia has now below 50% HP.

I barely have enough time to catch my breath when I see the first blood fiend awaken from its slumber near Elektra, claws ready to tear apart her throat. I intervene, heading there as I tell her to fall back and let me handle it for the time being. The creature immediately jumps at me and performs a horizontal attack, burying sharpened claws deep into my flesh, tearing apart my leather armor. The pain is unimaginable!

You received a critical hit of 11 points, my NCI informs me as I fall hard to the ground, barely having any HP left. I feel my life force fading away.

Ambrosia runs to my side and immediately fends off the monster momentarily, thus saving my life. I barely manage to get up, my HP bar having only 2 points remaining. Elektra has managed to hit the creature with two Fire Bolts and now its HP is down to 85%. I cast Finger of Death followed by a Fire Bolt. When we finally slay the evil fiend, it leaves Ambrosia with only 10% of her HP. It's barely a victory, but at least we survived and thanks to our Vampiric Ancestry, our wounds will begin healing soon.

"Victory!" I exclaim as I fall exhausted and tired hard to the ground, onto a pile of gold coins.

A new stream of notifications blocks my vision as I see that I've leveled up again, reaching Threat Level 7, and from the looks of it, Elektra and Ambrosia have leveled up as well. Not that they would know or understand the difference.

"I hope this was the last one," Elektra says in a husky voice.

"On the bright side, it wasn't a dragon... or giant spider," I smirk.

"What's this?" Ambrosia points her index finger towards an ornamented chest.

Finding the courage to stand up, I see the glowing chest in question. Initially, I thought it would be a big one made of precious minerals or maybe even metal. Instead, all I see is a small one, half the size of a medium box. The material is wood, but I'm sure there's more to it. I sense no threat, wondering at first if it might be a mimic of some kind. As I study it closer, my imagination goes wild again and I catch myself thinking that instead of a regular tree, this chest's wood must have been made by some kind of powerful wizard, embedding it with his magic, rather a normal earth-born seed. What's undeniable though, is the sense I get from it. Yes, the contents of the box contain some type of conduit, something that connects it with another reality back into this realm. Perhaps it's a way back into my world? Well, I am about to find out soon!

2