Chapter #15: A Ghastly Night pt2
128 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking at it from the ghoul's perspective, I understand now their motives behind all that façade. They need me not only because I am of the living, but because in their eyes I'm a powerful magic caster, at least as far as they know. Ghouls gain their powers by consuming their enemies and that's how Immenithes has gained his strength. He is the Alpha of their pack, while Esteri is his second. She was the perfect puppet, one that meant to make me feel safe and drop my guard.

Scanning them with my Insight, I get their full stats. Esteri is Threat Level 10 while Immenithes is Threat Level 7. Many of the others aren't that far off. Strange, if Esteri has a higher Threat Level, then she must be the Alpha and her father the Second. That cunning bitch… Well, it doesn't matter right now. The thing is that I helped the villains of this quest while I slaughtered the rightful Black Knights. It's evident though, that even if I hadn't appeared, they would have held their own against the Black Knights and even slaughter them. Too bad I wasn’t on the right side of this quest…

"Wait..." Ambrosia says just as I turn my back on them. I see her nose sniffing the air.

I try to pick up on what she senses but all I can smell is lilac, rosemary, and various herbs that the ghouls have been using to mask their scent from me. "What is it now?" I ask confused.

"It seems the Knights have brought out a Ghast to kill your new friends," Ambrosia answers.

I sense by the look on her face this was discouraging her. I am not sure what a Ghast is, but it didn't sound good.

"We have to leave now," she demands.

I look over toward Esteri, Immenithes, and the others. They aren't the frightened merchants I had been ready to lay down my life to save before.

"Please, help us," Esteri pleads, still holding her head down in shame, "I promise we were never going to harm you. I am the real leader of this group and I promise no harm will..."

"Enough," I say as Esteri reaches out to grab my arm. She is still acting helpless even now. I don't let her touch me. I can't, not after how she has lied and manipulated me. Looking back it should have been obvious she had been the real leader. The way she fought the Black Knights, the way she led me to the river. I had been a fool. She wasn't a puppet, she was a puppet master. "Ambrosia," I turn towards the sexy vampiress. "What is a Ghast? Will they survive if we don't help them?"

"No. They won't and good riddance," she spits on the ground toward Esteri.

I’m about to agree with her, but then I get an pop-up notification through my NCI.

Optional Quest: Kill the Ghast

Now, this notification has me intrigued. The bad thing about some Optional Quests, is that I don’t get a clear reason of why I have to do things. Instead, I have to guess. Chances are if it is that strong, it will come for us after it finishes them. It makes perfect sense if we stay here, cooperate as a large group, and increase our chances of survival.

"We'll stay long enough to fend off the Ghast and the Black Knights, and then I never want to see any of you again," I turn my head from Ambrosia toward Esteri who cracks a smile. I can see her canine fangs hanging out just above her bottom lip. Even with the illusion gone and everything that happened, she still looks innocent, fragile like a doll.

"Fine," Ambrosia relents, "but first burn the bodies of the Black Knights."

"Burn the bodies?" I ask.

"We can't that's food for weeks! If we burn the bodies we'll starve," Immenithes says. Ambrosia looks at him and he quickly steps back hissing.

"Your kind can live off deer and boar. Burn the fucking bodies or we'll burn you," Ambrosia demands and I play along. Sparkles of fire hover over the palm of my hand, implying for the violence to follow if they don't comply. I can see a slight smile arising on Ambrosia’s lips.

"The smell of flesh will attract the Ghast," Esteri says and she’s right. In fact, I’m just as lost as her.

"Exactly, now start putting those claws to good use and dig a pit. Throw your herbs inside of it. All of them. Any oils you might have," Ambrosia demands.

I understand now. We are setting a trap.

I start walking towards where the ghouls are digging, ready to join in when Ambrosia stops me and says, "Not you."

I comply and stand right beside her, watching as they work. Several of the ghouls dig while the others prepare the bodies for burning with kindle and stones, to create a large fire pit.

"Take this," Ambrosia says, passing me two pieces of small cotton. She has two of her own stuck in her nose. I follow her example. When the pit is about four feet deep, she turns towards Immenithes and tells him it is time to ignite the flames and for everyone to prepare for what is to come.

Even with the cotton balls shoved up my nose, I can still smell the stench of burning flesh mixing with the herbs. I want to gag.

"Now, light the trees around the pit on fire but leave the path open," Ambrosia demands. The ghouls follow her every request and after a few minutes, fire surrounds us on our left and right. The only exit is a path through the woods behind us.

"The Ghast will come charging towards us. When it breaches the trees, it will fall into the pit. From there you will light it up with a Fire Bolt. The Black Knights won't be far behind it," Ambrosia pulls a dagger, the same one she had before.

There is silence. The ghouls wait around the pit, some in plain sight, others hide behind large rocks for extra cover. Two of the ghouls have picked up bows from the Black Knights' battle. Their claws look like they aren't used to holding such weapons, but still, I know they will manage if it means the difference between being undead and dead.

"Wait," Ambrosia whispers, holding her right hand up in the air, fingers side by side. She closes her eyes as if she is listening to something as quiet as a heartbeat. Almost immediately she crouches down, covering her ears. At the same time, I hear the loudest ear-piercing shriek. My entire body feels paralyzed as my ears begin bleeding and my health drops by 5 hit points. As I stand there unable to move, I watch the Ghast emerging from the trees.

Ghast. Threat Level 11. HP 48 out of 54.

4