Chapter 10: Base Upgrade
188 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ghost Unit Base In the New World. (The Cave)

After resting for a whole day, everyone began to get busy once it was sunrise. The development of the base took priority to maximize operational efficiency and also add extra security.

The plan was to clear the land next to the cave and construct a runway for the 2 large military drones to take off and land.  Construction for the helipads and hangars for the helicopters and the 2 large drones were also planned.

For extra security, Bravo had to put landmines, heat and motion sensors, security cameras, barb wires, electric fence and such around the base.

The cave had all the materials,  equipments, tools and machinery to construct and secure it.

Rex felt somewhat grateful that the arms dealer had stock piled of nearly everything they needed for the updgrade.

During their search for materials, etc, they stumbled upon some surface to air missile vehicles and radar mobile vechicles which were both american and russian made. This boosted the air defense for the base. They were not familiar with what type of flying creatures or UFO for that matter that exist on this planet, which is why they were not taking any chances.

For a whole month, they surveyed, cleared and constructed their base. Though it was with only a few upgrade, it was enough for their current strength and operational need.

With the lack of manpower, they could only do this much. 

Rex who is currently installing the fence, heard footsteps approaching.

"You know, we could use more people around here.." Gaz suggested.

"Yeah, but not just anyone. We can't hire just about anyone to be part of Ghost. We need those who wouldn't betray us and reveale our location.....after all, we work in the shadows." Rex responded as he briefly stopped doing his work.

"Yeah, you're right......we know nothing about the people of this place. We don't have database for the people here like the nameless organization,  so we don't know what they are like." Gaz agreed.

"Yeah, let's worry about that later......hows the planting of explosives going?..." 

"Almost complete......I would feel sorry for those trying to trespass....but I don't think  anyone wants to, after all, they said that the centre of the continent is the most dangerous for anyone and we are located in the centre."

"Still.....we should take precautionary measures if they decide to linger in this area." Rex said.

"Yeah, shouldn't forget the creatures too...." Gaz added.

"Yeah....we should continue with work. I want this base done before we explore this continent." Rex said as he continued doing the fence.

While Rex did the fences, the others were busy aswell. Some we busy with the runway while some where doing the hangars. Qwen opted to help Rex since it was the simplest job for her. 

"Say,....what is your plan for the future of the Ghost Unit if we were to never return to earth?" She asked as she kept working next to Rex.

"Hmmm....well, since we are here already, might as well continue with the mission of the Ghost Unit....regardless if it's earth or here.....the mission comes first." Rex responded.

"Which mission is that?..." she questioned.

"To stop tyranny.....protect the innocent and establish peace." He answered

"Even in a hellhole like this....there are still many people who would want to live in peace, whether they be humans or not. We will be the driving force to make sure they get it." Rex continued.

"You're just an ideal soldier any country would want. You stick to the mission given to you no matter what. But the difference is, you're driven by a strong moral compass." Qwen complimented.

"It's good to have a strong moral compass, if not, I would be a maniac soldier who would kill indiscriminately regardless if they're civilian or enemy just to achieve the mission." Rex explained.

While Rex and Qwen worked on the fense, the others were busy building the hangars.

"I wonder if they have dragons here too..." Kim, the geek among the group said as he helped building the hangar.

"Don't say it bro, like seriously, don't jinx us..." Pun who worked beside Kim, pleaded.

"Kim, it's not good to wish or even think of such things especially a dragon, trust me...its bad omen.." Kagi the South African warned his asian buddy.

"Oh come on guys.....cheer up, it's as if its going to happ...." 

Kim who was about to finish his sentence, got interrupted by a loud screek that came from the sky.  

Skkkkkiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaa.....

The sound was so loud, it sounded like a giant hawk.

"You were saying?...." Viktor who worked together building the hangar, asked sarcastically.

"EVERYONE....GET TO THE CAVE....NOW!!!..." Rex voice sounded over the comms as the incoming danger was fast approaching.

But before anyone had a chance to run, the surface to air missile quickly reacted as it flew up in the air to intercept the creature. The radar had quickly picked up the danger when it was within the radar range before automatically sending the signal to the missile to fire.

Everyone stopped as they saw that the missile managed to hit it's target which sends it crashing to the ground outside the parameters of the base.

"Atleast we know our air defence worked..." Kim said as he tried to give reason.

The three buddies who were working next to him just shook their heads and smiled.

"Viktor and Tim....on me, lets go and investigate what the hell that was..." Rex ordered over the comms.

"Will follow.."

"Lead the way chief..."

Both responded.

While the others continued to work on the base, the trio moved tactically towards the fallen creature cautiously. They had no idea what the creature was but they were going to find out. 

"Blind me.....it's a fucking dragon..." Tim exclaimed.

"Hmmm....though it's dead, the missile did not obliterate it. It's skin must be really tough." Rex gave his observation.

"Scales Master chief...really tough scales" Viktor corrected Rex as he pointed out the scales on the dragon. 

"Chief, why not remove all the scales and use it as trade when we visit the trading towns.....It would be something worth a fortune." Tim gave his idea.

"Why would we need such fortune when we are richer then the kingdoms here..." Viktor said.

"This could be our excuse to enter the towns.....they might have barred entery to a specific group of people....we might just ask the villagers back at Grof about this and also about the value of this scales." Rex explained. 

"It's massive though.....we might not be able to collect all the scales." Tim said

"We take what we can carry, leave the rest for later.." Rex responded.

Once they finished collecting their load they headed back to base.

"So what was it?...."

Kim the most curious one, was the first to ask.

"It was a big fucking dragon.." Tim aswered.

"See I told you....its bad omen to think such things..." Kagi warned Kim again.

Those who were not with the group when the conversation took place, had the confused look, as they turned towards Kagi.

"Care to explain? ..." Gaz asked.

"Ask him..." Kagi pointed towards Kim.

"Alright...alright....all I said was that if there were dragons here, but who would have thought that a real dragon would appear just seconds I said that." Kim explained.

"Might be pure coincidence or just luck or bad luck.." Gaz said.

"Or bad omen..." Kagi said for the second time.

"Alright......lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Hows the progress of the base?" Rex interrupted to ease the men.

"About 98% complete.." Kim answered.

"Good...lets complete the work.... for tomorrow, we will be going out." Rex said as he headed back to work.

4