029
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Knock* *Knock*

“Come in” A sleepy voice was heard behind the old wooden door, somewhat broken by time.

"Ummm! .... Did an incident occur?" Wiliam asked as he yawned.

Ron entered the captain's quarters to find him lying on the bed, sleeping in his shorts.

"Nothing happened... But what the hell are you doing sleeping when the boys are having a party outside?!" Ron shouted angrily.

"I am the captain, not a sailor, I have to be up early to fulfill my duties" Wiliam said lazily looking at the intruder.

"Ha ha ha... are you seriously telling me that the captain is the first to wake up?" Ron replied, approaching a cabinet full of liquors.

"Come on, Ron, it's late... I just want to sleep... I'm a bit tired" Wiliam said looking at his friend stealing from his decanter.

"Of course and who isn't" said Ron as he prepared some drinks "It's been raining for a week and a half, we're all tired Wily, that's why they party, to be able to rest"

"Rest the spirit not the body" Completed Ron as he approached the captain's bed with two glasses and sat on the end

"My spirit doesn't need to rest, I'm strong Ron, you should know that more than anyone on this ship" Wiliam said as he took the glass Ron offered him and sat down to drink it on the bed

"If my spirit falls, who are these bastards going to lean on?"

"Ha ha ha... but look at the old shark showing his teeth" Ron laughed as he took a good sip "But we all need a break from time to time, Wily"

Silence filled the room as two men shared drinks, taking their time to appreciate the good liquor

"Besides, you carry too many things on you..." Ron said looking at his friend and as if shaking a stone off him, he asked "Adam didn't die of a heart attack did he?"

"Mmmm... why do you want to make your life bitter..." Wiliam replied somewhat annoyed, "There are things that it is better not to know and live happily in ignorance"

"Doubt is also bitter, you know...." Ron said, downing his entire glass in one gulp and going to prepare another,  "I haven't slept well for a long time thinking that he died because of what happened in the cellar"

"Mmm...." Wiliam looked at his old friend preparing another drink, but this time his hands weren't so skillful anymore, and from time to time he spilled a few drops on the floorboards.

But he preferred not to say anything and enjoy the silence accompanied by his friend.

With drink in hand and hands trembling, Ron asked, "tell me the truth....how did Fat Wily die?"

Wiliam looked deeply at his friend and taking a moment answered "he committed suicide because of his daughter, the boys noticed him badly all day, in the end he couldn't take it anymore and hanged himself in the kitchen"

"It's not your fault, it has nothing to do with what happened in the cellar, it was my fault I didn't realize it was wrong..." Wiliam said, starting to cry "The day before the incident the fat man came to see me and I didn't understand the clues he was giving me, he wanted to tell me that he needed help, but he couldn't find the words to say it"

Seeing the bad state of his friend, Ron approached him to hug him and comfort him a little.

"It's all my fault, Ron!" Wiliam yelled as he cried on his friend's shoulders, "I couldn't understand his pain, he couldn't give my sailor any words of encouragement when he needed it most."

"What kind of fucking captain am I!!" Wiliam shouted, breaking into tears.

1