4) Alcetta Arrival
96 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[ Henkrie, Luirene - Capital City of Luirene, Seat of the Royal & National Councils - August ]

"It's been quite a while since we've come to the capital, My Lady. Henkrie seems to not have changed a bit since while we were gone."

"Is that a good thing or bad thing, Portia?"

"... You can never say anything nice, My Lady."

"Niceties do nothing but cover up the bitter truth and you know I've never been one for sugar."

"... If Her Grace's intention is to marry you off she's got her work cut out for her. No one wants to marry an old cynic in a young lady's body."

"My status and money are more than enough to make up for my personality, Portia."

"And if they take in a mistress? What of you then, My Lady?"

Sophia finally looked away from the city scenery through her window and towards her maid, sitting across from her in the carriage that had been smoothly traveling against the paved roads of Henkrie for a decent quarter hour, face pinched before relaxing into a smile that would melt a heart in a way rather contrary to common association.

"Anything I want, Portia. I could take a mistress myself if I so desired. I could kill their mistress and have them fed to the kerosi my mother raises, make them watch if I'm in that sort of mood. Or I could have them buried together, alive and dead in the same love they shared." The young lady's jovial tone could convince an uninformed eavesdropper of her giving a simple recounting of a particularly enjoyable social event. Portia's countenance continued to be relaxed, not a single fluctuation in her eyes. "Do you know why I could do that, Portia?"

"Of course, My Lady."

"Why then?"

"Because you are a Montsworth. And Montsworths-"

"Will repay every debt owed, and nothing will stop them."

"Yes, My Lady. Debts must be repaid on time and with interest, of course."

"You're not as much of an idiot as you pretend to be, Portia. I admire that about you."

Something in Portia's honey lavender eyes flashed, much to quickly to be recognized properly, but enough to be seen before her entire self seemed to light up in joy as if a puppy had been put into her arms.

"Thank you, My Lady! You're not as bitter as you act either!"

"I often wonder why I haven't had you replaced with someone quieter."

"Thank you for not doing so!"

Done with the nonsense that was likely to keep spilling out of her maid's broken faucet, Sophia directed her attention back to the carriage window. The brick and stone of Henkrie's architecture weren't anymore interesting than what was to be said, but at least it wouldn't frustrate her to the point of a smile. They hadn't passed the Mientis Cathedral yet, arguably the most interesting scenery to be found in a supposedly capital city apart from Besenya Palace and their destination of choice, Alcetta Academy. Women of all sorts walked or rode the paved streets, going about their daily business.

At the very least, Henkrie was populated like a capital city should be. People flowed in and out on the daily, by foot, by carriage, by boat, by horse, by portal, by any means they could potentially afford. The only reason they'd traveled so inefficiently was that she wished to see the countryside in Luirene. It was one of the few truly beautiful things about the kingdom left that Sophia could properly appreciate without becoming disgusted or bored out of her pretty little head.

"Coachwoman, how much longer do we have to travel for?"

"No more than half an hour, My Lady. Would you like to stop to stretch your legs or visit one of the shopping districts?"

"No thank you, continue on."

"Yes, My Lady."

Thirty more minutes of nothing then.


"My Lady, we've arrived at Alcetta."

The carriage slowing to a stop before a gated assortment of buildings finally broke Sophia out of her malaise state, removing herself from the window as the carriage door was opened by a woman in a footman's morning uniform who offered her hand to her. Sophia took it with little issue and was helped down and out of the carriage with Portia following shortly after her.

The warm red brick that one could see through the gilded gates of Alcetta were a bit too bright for Sophia's sensibilities, but so was the constant movement of other ladies and their carriages and footmen and other workers who seemed to have to chitter and chatter wherever they went, regardless of what was being said. Like hens pecking and clucking without any meaning to any of it. 

What a bother. Sophia couldn't help but wish for the chill of Oriua House over this.

[ Welcome, Player! The Game Shall Now Officially Begin! Beware of Your Actions, They Have Reactions! ]

Oh thank god, I thought I was gonna die of autopilot boredom!!!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

2