Chapter 20
29 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Adam's residence. Drawing room.

Adam was currently waiting for his second guest, Lady Charlotte Stoller. She was in charge of any information gathered by the knights in the council. Those knights include attendants like Elena or independent knights assigned on various missions throughout Aurora and its subordinate worlds.

Suffice to say, the information and network she has access to is something Adam is very interested in acquiring. He was pleasantly surprised when David managed to arrange a meeting with her before his trip in the endless forest. Of course, Adam was going through mood swings. Not that he regrets it. While he didn't wish to look so violent, he was true to his thoughts. A little bit of tact would have helped, but that wasn't something he could control at the time.

A few moments later; he hears footsteps coming from the hall outside his room. That wasn't noteworthy, given he was expecting Lady Stoller and his maid at any moment. The thing that caught his attention is the additional pair of feet he could hear. As he refined his body, his senses also grew. Of course, with the way the process happens, knights gain greater control the higher their tier. The footsteps sounded heavy. 

'Probably someone accompanying Lady Charlotte.' He thinks to himself.

Sometime later, the doors to the room open. Lady Charlotte along with a middle-aged man stepped into the room followed by his wolf maid. The man was good-looking. Salt and pepper hair with a similarly colored trimmed full beard. He was quite tall, about Adam's height with a toned body. Somewhere between a swimmer and bodybuilder. The right mix between power and agility. He was fully armored, and the way he presented himself made it seem like more of a habit than a statement. The few scars littering his armor were a testament to his experience. All in all, a fine specimen of a man.

As they stepped further inside the room, Adam stood up to greet them, arms wide and still holding his lit joint. 

"Lady Charlotte, a pleasure to see you again. You must forgive me for my previous outburst. I was going through a phase related to my body refinement. I'm sure you understand." He turns to the man. "I don't believe I've met your companion."

The knight gives a slight bow of her head. "Greetings, sir Adam. This is Leonard Stoller, my husband. And, please do not worry about last time, I had my guesses at the time. All knights go through such a phase. I am glad to see you healthy of body and mind."

Adam extends his free right hand to the man. "It is a pleasure to meet the husband of such a fine and valiant Lady." 

The man extends his hand to shake Adams. The ghost of a smile appeared on his face. "The pleasure is mine. She can be quite the handful at times, but it is what attracted me to her." His wife acted deaf and mute, waiting for the men to finish their greetings.

Adam walked back to the couch while gesturing at the one opposite his. "Please have a seat." He turns to the maid. "Get us some refreshments." Turning to the couple, he asks. "Any preferences? I was able to acquire this nice strain of coffee from a tropical world under the council's control. It was quite costly, but I recommend it greatly." 

The man gives a slight nod, fitting his quiet persona while his wife answered in their stead. "We would love to try it."

The maid nods and exits the room, leaving Adam alone with his guests. He then started with the reason for the meeting. "So, Mrs. Stoller. I have a few doubts plaguing me in regards to your situation. I would appreciate it if you'd clear them for me." Seeing the lady knight nod, he continues.

"I'm curious as to the reason you left your sponsor. The other doubt plays into the first one. That is, what is your position in the eyes of the council? Given the extent of your reach and the number of knights present in the council; I'd assume the council would prefer to have you under them than under a single magus. Could you enlighten me?" 

Charlotte nodded at his questions. "You are right, sir Adam. We are technically under the purview of the council heads. While it is as such, they only want to make sure that the knights in the council are available when needed. Any other matter is under my control, as long as I don't affect the deployment of knights to their assignments. As for why I left the previous sponsor..." She pauses, a hint of dissatisfaction appearing in her eyes.

"He was a knight himself. And just like you, he was also a special student under the watch of the council heads. He was trying to find a way for knights to progress past our current tiers, something the council heads encouraged. As the years passed and nothing came of it, he was getting paranoid, afraid that we would try to use his failures to denounce and replace him. He was getting quite delusional, and we figured it would be wise to leave before anything harmful happens to either party." She finished with a sigh.

Adam shakes his head. " That's a shame. Failure may cause some unfortunate changes in someone if they're not strong of mind." He pauses for a moment, then continues. "Let's leave such drab matters behind us and get to the subject at hand. Tell me what you wish from me as well as your offer. And I will tell you what I can offer you as well as my demands."

The knight straightens herself and starts. "As a special student, you are allowed certain privileges. We wish to make use of them. Of course, we will lend you the manpower to handle any matters pertaining to them. It will benefit both parties. One such example of a privilege is the number of subordinate worlds allowed under your control. You are allowed more than a regular magus. We want a share of the resources if you gain any and we will handle the work related to it."

She pauses to make sure Adam is paying attention. "Another demand we have is concerning some of the young and talented knights under us. We believe some of them deserve a higher status or a larger amount of resources. We'd like you to take them under your wing and provide for them. Of course, they will act as your attendants and perform their job properly. You won't pay them for no reason. In return. Whatever information the knights under my network gain is made available to you. Also, if you ever need manpower for any reason, as long as it isn't too dangerous, we can help you without the need to go through council channels. Of course, that applies to knights only."

Adam asks her a question that's been on his mind for a long time but had been put aside, until now. "You mention resources. According to my knowledge, resources are aplenty. Why do you make it seem as if they're lacking or in high demand?"

Charlotte raises an eyebrow at the question. "Sir Adam must be new to Aurora. Resources from lower-tiered worlds, which are the majority when compared to Aurora, are not as effective for us as they are for people who originate from said worlds. A knight or magus from Aurora will need to consume an X amount of resources to gain a fraction of the benefits someone from the original world gets with a smaller amount. Despite that, due to the higher quality of mana available on Aurora, our people are at the peak of power compared to the majority of the cosmos. The number of worlds comparable in quality and strength, that have been found by us, can be counted on one hand. This is due to us strengthening ourselves with a higher quality source as opposed to someone originating from a lower-tiered world." She said with a hint of pride in her voice.

Realizing her inner feelings are coming out, she coughs in her hand to rein herself and continues. "The majority of the resources present in the cosmos benefit us less than most people. Our best gains when we plunder are not resources to consume but resources that have a chance of being grown in Aurora. Resources grown in Aurora are of a higher quality automatically due to the environment. It rarely happens, but it is what we seek the most. That is also why your status is so coveted and held in such high regard. The number of resources grown in Aurora is lacking when compared to the number of people who seek them. People with your status have first pick along with an almost unlimited amount available to them as long as the council has it and it is a reasonable demand. That is also why you feel they're plentiful. It is because you have much more available to you compared to a regular magus or knight. Your perspective is skewed by your position. It is rare for one to become a special student as soon as they join the council after all." She finishes with a slight tone of envy in her voice.

Listening to her explanation; a light bulb went off in Adam's head. He's always wondered. For what reason did the people of Aurora plunder so much? It turns out that whatever they gain is not enough and not as beneficial to them compared to others. If they have to consume that much more than others, it makes sense to seek more. 

Adam himself did not need that many resources, but not everyone can have a smooth sailing path like him. He has Zero, the nanites, and his genetically enhanced body. Not everyone has such talent and tools available to them. Seeking resources to supplement themselves is a logical conclusion. With the number of people in the council, Aurora alone would not be enough. Or rather, it would not last long. The Council does not wish for everything to die out. They ensure that all resource points aren't harvested at once, guaranteeing they may regrow safely with time, thus preventing anything from slowly disappearing.

Satisfied with his newly gained knowledge, he addresses his guest, ignoring her husband who has been meditating ever since he sat down.

"I see, it makes sense. Now. Your demands aren't too unreasonable. For the knights you wish to place under me, I will have Elena pick and choose. I will not sponsor that many. I still have to think of any future subordinates I may hire. I will have Elena pick four, and they will be placed under her charge. You may rotate the four as you see fit. I believe it is reasonable?"

Charlotte had to hold back a snort at the mention of his attendant's name. "While not preferable, she is qualified enough to teach the younger generation. Four is enough. Thank you."

Adam nods, ignoring the dissatisfaction aimed at his attendant. He did not care much for the backstory. It seemed more childish than anything else. 

"As for your first demand. It will be decided on a case-by-case basis. The worlds, for example. I'm not even sure if I'll annex some for myself. I have all I need here after all, and I don't have enough subordinates to justify it. As for the other privileges. As long as it does not inconvenience me in any kind of way, you may use them. How does that sound?" 

There are many privileges and advantages allowed to him that he's not aware of. Things like his voting right to new proposed rules or fighting for jurisdiction over certain resource-rich subordinate worlds. He does not care much for such things. Whatever he's needed has been made available to him, no need to bother himself with other issues when he's busy with more important matters. Politics is one of the things he disdains the most. He would avoid it as long as he's able to.

The knight thinks to herself for a moment. The maid chose this time to enter the room with the refreshments. Adam clapped his hands. "About time. I'm not sure if you've tried this coffee before, but the taste is simply wonderful. Of course, I'm an avid coffee lover myself so don't take me at my word. Please, help yourselves." He spoke while waving the maid away, pouring the coffee himself instead.

Charlotte poured a cup for her and her husband. The room grew silent while the occupants enjoyed their cup of bean juice. A few sips later, Charlotte restarts the conversation. " I agree to your demands, Sir Adam. The knights under us look forward to working with you."

Adam nods, satisfied. "Great. Out of curiosity, for what reason do you wish for me to take care of some of your talents? I will try to poach them if they catch my eyes. Surely that's something you've taken into account. Would it not be better for you to keep them around to better your faction?"

Charlotte shook her head forlornly. "You're wrong, Sir Adam." She held her husband's hand. "My husband and I are getting old. We don't wish for political power. We want to pave a way for the future generation of knights. We don't know what criteria the council heads use to choose the special students, but we believe that there are buried diamonds everywhere if one simply bothered to look. You poaching them would be even better. It might provide them with more opportunities to shine. Our ultimate hope is for a few of them to shine bright enough to gain the backing of the Council. Who knows? They might figure a way for us to break past our current tiers and gain a more respectable status in Aurora."

Adam lifted his cup in the air. "Cheers to the future generation. I myself am a lover of the talented and ambitious, as long as they have a good head on their shoulders. I guarantee that if any one of them impresses me enough, forget the council, I will personally ensure they get whatever they need to succeed. If they have a solid plan, of course. Talents lead to a flourishing civilization, it would be a shame to leave them buried in the dust." He took a sip while internally adding. 'That is if they're useful and under my control.'

The lady knight nodded satisfied, while her husband shot him a pointed look as if he could read his thoughts. Adam ignored his gaze, of course. She responded. "I agree, Sir Adam. While we knights have reached our current peak, we may discover a path to further tiers in the future. Just like the council heads."'

Adam nodded to her statement. "That makes sense. If you're not advancing, then you're stagnating. Stagnation leads to desolation. We don't want that for Aurora, do we?" Finished with his coffee and making sure the couple is done as well, he stands up. "It has been a pleasure. I've enjoyed our conversation greatly. Unfortunately, I have other plans for the day." He extends his hand for a handshake. "I hope to continue another day, but I don't think we have much left for discussion. I expect a lot of good to come from our cooperation. For the future of the younger generation and the council." 

He shook Leonard's hand first and then turned towards Charlotte, who shook his hand and nodded at his statement. "I'm heartened to see your attitude, Sir Adam. I also hope our partnership proves to be fruitful."

Adam started walking towards the door, followed by his guests. "Great. I shall have Elena contact you for the young talents you wish nurtured. I'm in the process of looking for a personal assistant. When I do find one, I shall have him, or her contact you in my stead to handle our cooperation as well as any issues that may arise in the future."

Charlotte nodded. "I understand. I look forward to the future. Have a good day Sir Adam."

Adam gave a slight bow of the head. "And you as well, Mr. and Mrs. Stoller."

He watched his guests walk in the hallway for a moment before he turned around and headed towards his office for some private time. 'Finally done for the day. I just need to meet with Robert's patron in the coming days, and then I'll be able to focus back on my body. I still have the council mission to take care of, and I also have to look for a personal assistant. I'll look for the assistant before the mission. I'll have them take care of my matters here while I'm gone performing the mission.'

On the side of the Stoller couple

Charlotte and her husband, Leonard, walked in silence until they left the premise of Adam's mansion. A while later, Leonard opened his mouth. "He's not trustworthy. You should be careful."

His wife snorted. "Of course he's not trustworthy. No magus is. It doesn't matter. We're not looking to make friends. We need him, and he needs us, that's all that matters. As long as he doesn't harm the people under us, his goals are not important. If anything, his personality is beneficial to us. His kind always like to believe they're playing others like a fiddle. Let him think so to his heart's content, heck, let him poach our people. It does not matter." 

She looked at her husband with love and resignation. "We're old Leonard. I know you like to go out for the occasional mission, but doing this?" She waves around. "Playing around with all these mind games? It's tiresome. Let him do what he wants. As long as the people under us are taken care of, that's all that matters." 

Her husband held her hand. "You should find a replacement. We'll retire to a nice secluded world. We have more than enough to buy territory."

His wife looked him in the eyes. "I'd love that, honey." She kissed him gently on the lips. "I'll look for a replacement once I'm sure everything with Adam works out." 

Her husband wordlessly nodded. They kept walking in silence, the sun masking their features showing only a couple holding hands.

***************************

Author's note: Yoo peeps. Finishing with a touch of romance. Awwwww. I like to believe I have a romantic bone hidden somewhere in my 206 bones. Lol. Biology joke. Plus, I was listening to some Usher and Trey Songz while finishing the chapter. These guys can sing the panties off a girl. So yeah. Anyways, small info dump regarding the reason for the plundering ways of Aurora. It kind of makes sense in hindsight. A stronger foundation means a need for higher quality resources. If you don't have high quality? Go for quantity. While it doesn't exactly work like that, its the gist of the situation. 

The next chapter is the last meeting before a small time-skip, maybe? Who knows, inspiration might hire truck-kun's services. I also like to write this kind of chapter. It helps me practice my writing skills, creating different characters with different personalities. The Stoller's POV was meant to show you that even if Adam likes to believe himself smarter than most, not everyone is dumb. The same way he can read some people, some other people can read him. Being smart does not make you some sort of social mastermind who can hide in plain sight. While he does well socially, experienced or trained people can see through him. He's not experienced or trained after all. He's not young overall, but compared to some of the people with long lifespans, he's considered a youngster. I try not to mention lifespan too much because it does not really matter as of this moment. I might clarify it later down the line once I've figured out a proper way to introduce it. Either way, hope y'all enjoyed the chapter.

Leave comments, reviews, likes, etc, etc.

Lazy, Out!

0