The Date Library
88 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was already ten days since the memorable fireworks festival, signalling that the summer vacation was ending. Ichinose Renge spent the last week of her holidays busy with her backlogs, mainly her online game events and anime. As she was about to head to bed, she went past through a pile of notebooks that she had set aside before the summer festival. She then recalled doing so because her parents reminded her about her homework; the realisation caused her to panic immediately given how she had yet to start anything at all. Not just one, but four subjects in total. She then remembered how she answered her parents: “Homeworks? It’s still two weeks anyway. I’ll manage.” 

 

Right now she was nowhere close to managing it. “Why do I say that it’s going to be fine…” she sighed. Granted, it was always like this every year; Renge barely managed to finish her homework before the new term started. But this year she felt like she wanted to do better… Probably related to how she was in her final year, or maybe it was because someone actually looked up to her? 

 

The homework was not that difficult and yet she still found it very difficult to focus on it. Renge opened the textbook as she started to read the questions, only to end up checking her phone and doing her mobile game dailies. ‘It may be because it is close to bedtime. There’s no use forcing myself to do it since I’m too tired, anyway.’ The purple-haired girl excused herself as she made up her mind to spend the rest of her holiday just for finishing the homework. Although, Renge knew full well that if she kept getting distracted, she would not be able to finish them…

 

    The third year immediately remembered her kouhai who always helped Renge to concentrate on her study. Granted, she felt bad and did not want to trouble Suzuyuki every time but she figured that she could try to ask. After all, she needed to finish her homework so it was indeed an important matter. 

Renge: Suzu-chan, have you done your homework?

Almost immediately, Suzuyuki replied,

 

Suzu-chan: Yes, I have done it before the summer festival since I can’t go without finishing it.

Suzu-chan: What about it, onee-sama?

Renge sighed a bit as she read that. She wanted to work on it with Suzuyuki; even when they were in different grades, Suzuyuki’s presence would definitely make her focus better.

As Renge admitted to not finishing her homework yet due to lack of focus, Suzuyuki chuckled while reading that. 

Suzu-chan: I am planning to visit the public library tomorrow. I think it can be a good place to study and finish the homework. Want to go together?

Renge was ecstatic as she read the message. She had not been to the library since her primary school trip, and she did hear that it was renovated earlier that year so she would not mind giving it a visit.

Renge: I’ll go! 

 

The older girl packed her books and stationeries into her bag as she was excited for the next day.  

 

[The Next Day]

 

[10:00 am]

The library was located on the highest floor of the Kagamioka shopping mall. Since Renge had lots to do, she proposed to meet starting from the mall’s opening time to ensure that she got a seat in the library; apparently since it was close to the start of the next term there were plenty of others like her who finished the homework in the library. Suzuyuki did not seem to mind, she was excited to spend even more time with her onee-sama. The two of them admired the library’s interior and collection, it did remind the first year about Tokyo for a while. Being early also allowed them to book a study room for the whole day, the library had several small ones as they knew that there would be a lot of Amanohara students who would study there. As Renge placed her books on top of the table, Suzuyuki excused herself to grab some books she wanted to read. As she was just allowed to bring home one book since she was a new member, she aimed to read as many books as she could for the day. In order not to distract Renge from finishing her homework, she ended up borrowing the manga to read at home instead. 

 

“Won’t your parents mind if you read your manga at home?” Renge asked as she peeked a glance at the book that Suzuyuki put in her bag. It was an older one-volume action manga, with a subtext yuri side couple. It was featured in the manga museum, and as the manga was over 30 years old it would be difficult to find a copy to purchase. Renge herself read it at her friend’s house during her first year.

“It’s just one manga, it would be fine. Besides, I could read it in my free time after I finished my home duties and all rested in my room.” 

The library, especially inside the study room, was tranquil, as it proved to be very good for Renge’s concentration. She even started with her most difficult subject, Mathematics, as her mind was still fresh. She put her phone in silence mode except when emergency from her family, and every time she got distracted, the first-year would look at her. Granted, Suzuyuki did nothing but let out a soft smile at her onee-sama, but Renge felt as if the stare was telling her to focus on her homework. The silver-haired girl would be with Renge the whole day, after all, so she could not waste her kouhai’s time.

[13:00]

Doing her homework in the library together with Suzuyuki proved to be effective, as Renge managed to finish her Maths homework. Only when she closed her textbook, did the drowsiness accumulate as she flopped on top of the table. “I need some coffee…” she muttered. It was already lunchtime as well they left their books inside the study room and went to the cafe a floor beneath. As they could not eat inside the library, they chose to dine in. Only after Renge sat down on the chair did she check her phone, mostly messages from her classmates and several on the group member chat. “I’m totally glad I’m here with you. Else I’ll spend the entire day getting distracted by my phone,” she said as she thanked Suzuyuki. 

“I am always glad to help you, onee-sama. I can also read more books than I have planned as there are way too many interesting books.” Suzuyuki had explored every section in the library and picked almost everything that interest her, after all. Their coffee arrived not long after they sat, with Renge ordering an iced latte, and Suzuyuki iced mocha. Renge had been to the cafe before but this time since she had her first sip after exerting her brain, the coffee tasted much more delicious. She even finished her first glass before her food arrived, in which she ordered fruit soda afterwards in order not to consume too much caffeine. Her second glass of drinks arrived together with her cutlet sandwich set, as well as Suzuyuki’s waffle. Renge ended up eating something heavier given how she needed as much energy as she could. 

 

Suzuyuki even gave half of her waffle to fill her onee-sama even more, in exchange for just one bite of the sandwich to try. The food in the cafe was also more delicious than ever for Renge, probably because she was exhausted. Then again, eating her meal together with Suzuyuki always tasted so good. The two of them did not have the luxury of time to chit-chat though, as they concentrated on finishing the meal. The two of them were going to spend the whole day together regardless.

 

[16:00]

As Renge finished her second homework, the clock indicated that it was already 4 in the evening. Time really did fly when one got occupied. She was wondering whether she should call it a day since she was already halfway done but not that she had anything better to do that day. Since she muted her phone, her classmates had made plans without her. Renge was thankful for that though, she knew that she would have gone with them otherwise and abandoned her homework once more.

Although at this point, she needed to do some refreshing to clear her mind up. “I can do with another sweet drink…” she muttered while staring at Suzuyuki who had finished another book on her reading pile.  “Let’s take a walk around the mall and see what we can get, then.” The silver-haired girl stood up and returned the book to the counter before heading out of the library with her onee-sama. 

 

“Any drinks that you want to have? I’m fine with anything.” Renge said, she had visited the mall since forever and had tried most of it, anyway. Even after the renovation, not many of the tenants changed. “I do have a place I want to try,” Suzuyuki replied excitedly as she started to lead the way. She seemed to have done her research about the location of the place she wanted to go as Renge wondered about it. What kind of place would someone from Tokyo be eager to go inside the mall? Surely, most of the drinks shops were franchises from the capital. 

 

Suzuyuki stopped in front of a teashop; it was the first time for both of them given how Renge had noticed the store to be there for a while but had never entered. None of her family, including her, drank tea that much, at best she had seen the teashop brand in a gift from somebody in the neighbourhood. Suzuyuki approached the storekeeper as she asked about some of the types of tea that she apparently had pre-ordered and had come to collect. The storekeeper also let them choose a pack of tea to drink in-store since they were already there, anyway. “What kind of tea do you want to drink, onee-sama?” Suzuyuki asked innocently. ‘There she goes, calling me onee-sama in public again…’ Renge blushed as she tried to calm down and reply, “I don’t understand much about teas so I’ll leave it in your care.” She heard Suzuyuki asking something about the tea as they took a seat to wait for the tea-making. The shopkeeper returned not long after, bringing two different sets of tea. One of them seemed to be already brewed, as it was for the older girl. As she took the cup, she could feel it being cold, surprisingly. The storekeeper explained that it was a cold brew: a tea package that was brewed in cold water overnight. So that’s what Suzuyuki asked about, before. In order to add to the refreshments, it was a mint tea, to add. She did not even need to add sugar to feel energized.  Suzuyuki smiled seeing how her onee-sama seemed to be delighted in drinking the tea she ordered for her. “If you like it, I can teach you how to make it at home,” she said. Her own order also arrived as the storekeeper brewed the tea leaves on her table elegantly. Renge had seen something similar in the school’s Tea Ceremony club, but the storekeeper was on another level. They even poured a cup for Renge as she had finished her cold-brewed mint tea. As she tasted the warm tea, it tasted both fruity and floral at the same time, apparently a mix between several flowers and berries to give the natural taste. The temperature was perfect, and the fact that it was the first brew made the taste even stronger. Renge never imagined that tea would be this wonderful, no wonder the people in her neighbourhood (usually the older ones) loved them. As they finished the drink, seeing how her onee-sama had the newly-found interest in coffee, Suzuyuki proposed an idea.

 

“Onee-sama, let’s get a matching teacup. The store has a fine selection of them.” Even though the focus of the sales was tea sets, they also sold individual cups. Some even come in modern designs that looked like normal cups but were made of ceramic materials. After looking at the designs, the two settled on a set of cups that were purple and white but reversed line-wise, which resembled their hair colour. The two of them returned to the library afterwards, all refreshed and happy from the tea time and shopping.

 

[19:00pm]

Two hours before the library was closed, Renge managed to finish her third homework. She closed her book and put the stationery inside her bag, knowing full well that she was already at her limit. Even if she continued she would not be able to finish her last subject, after all. She was pretty good at Japanese, as well so she could totally do it at her house the next day. Suzuyuki chuckled seeing how her senpai gave up, all while she finished reading from the book pile. “Well, as long as you can finish it, given how it’s just 3 days away.” The girl casually reminded her onee-sama with the same smile she gave if Renge was distracted.

“I promise I will! Right now I am too hungry and tired…” she mumbled; it had been 6 hours since their last meal after all.  

 

As Renge was not in a state to think about what to have for dinner, the younger girl was the one that decided it. “What about hamburgers? From the fastfood place. “ Renge could not afford to wait for the food, so she figured that fastfood will be good for them. Hearing the suggestion surprised Renge as she asked, “Won’t your parents be mad if they know you’re eating fastfood? I can imagine them pretty strict for your diet.”

 

“That’s exactly why I want it. I can only try it when I go with you.” The silver-haired girl smiled as they walked toward the restaurant. Renge waited at the table as Suzuyuki ordered two sets of different burgers that she wanted to try. She returned with a tray filled with the Cheeseburger and Shrimp Burger set. Splitting her shrimp burger into two as Renge did the same, sharing half for each, Renge was not sure whether it was due to her hunger but even the hamburgers tasted better than the usual. Especially when she stared at Suzuyuki’s happy face as she ate them for the first time. After they finished the meal, Suzuyuki insisted the older girl to return together with her. “It’s already late, and you’re tired, so it’s best that I deliver you with my car, onee-sama,” she said as she tugged on Renge’s hands to the mall’s lobby where the car was already waiting. 

The shopping mall was not far from Renge’s house as it did not take long for her to reach her alleyway. “Thanks for accompanying me today. See you later, and goodnight, Suzu-chan.” Renge smiled as she walked towards her gate while waving her hands. Suzuyuki waved in return, “You are welcome, I am glad to spend the whole day with you. Don’t forget to finish your homework, okay? I’ll remind you again tomorrow.” The car only drove away when Renge entered her door.

   

 

    As she already had her dinner, Renge immediately head to her room after she finished bathing, and excused herself to her family as she rested. It was such a long day, probably the longest she had studied in her life. She swore not to do this again next year, only to remember that she was going to graduate by the end of the year. Her third year had truly been so eventful… As she thought of that, Renge fell asleep.

    The next morning, Renge texted Suzuyuki to say good morning to the first year. Apparently, the first-year did not text her first since she did not want to disturb her onee-sama’s sleep. As she noticed that Renge’s awake, she immediately messaged:

 

Suzu-chan:  Don’t forget to do your homework, Renge-oneesama.

 

The purple-haired girl deadpanned as she read that. ‘This girl, really… At least say good morning first!’ She chuckled as she replied with a thumbs up sticker. She stretched a bit in the morning and took the Japanese notebook out of her bag, as she got started on her homework even before breakfast.

It was close to lunchtime as Renge had yet to go to the dining table. Her parents came to check on her to see what she was doing. Seeing her working on her homework diligently made them wonder if something good had happened to their daughter. Renge was so focused that she did not notice her parents at her door. As soon as she finished, she grabbed her phone to take picture of her homework and sent it to Suzuyuki.

 

Renge: I am done! 

5