Chapter 027 – Brother Lin is truly a fine man, ah!
48 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When their meal was delivered, Lin Xiao carefully watched the assorted number of dishes that the waiter place on his table. They ordered wide range of food, from different kinds of noodles to braised chicken, soup and assorted vegetables. They also got a large serving of stirred fried pork with peppers which was apparently the speciality of the rest house.

Lin Xiao stared at his braised beef noodle and can’t help swallowing his saliva. The way it was arranged, and in addition with its aromatic smell, it really awakened Lin Xiao’s appetite. But before he started eating, he still made sure that Long Yinlian is taken care of. Now that they are not in their home, everything is unfamiliar for Long Yinlian. He’s afraid that the older male might end up unable to enjoy his meal.

Shizun, here is the chopstick,” Lin Xiao said as he helped Long Yinlian hold the chopstick. “In front of you is a bowl of spicy chicken noodle. If you want anything else, just tell me and I’ll help you get it, alright?” Lin Xiao said with a tone full of gentleness.

When Ping Qiaolian saw this gentle side of Lin Xiao, she can’t help feeling slightly uncomfortable as her heart was filled with dissatisfaction. ‘What is so good of that blind man? If he’s blind, he should just stay at home! That man surnamed Lin called him ‘Shizun’, but I doubt he can even teach anything!’

If Lin Xiao were ever to know Ping Qiaolian’s thought, then he wouldn’t have hesitated to gouge her eyes out and see if she would dare to talk about his master again.

Their lunch was uneventful, and Lin Xiao also felt satisfied with his meal. Although he was used to eating meat, occasionally eating these kinds of food is also good for him.

Long Yinlian, due to his lack of vision, ate slowly. He carefully moved his chopstick as to not waste any food. And since Lin Xiao had already finished his meal, he would occasionally help Long Yinlian pick up the stir-fried pork and feed him.

Their harmonious interaction was seen by everyone in the rest house and they can only praise Lin Xiao’s filial piety. Fei Yuxing felt jealousy bubbling up inside her, but she quickly pushed it down. ‘Yuxing, you’re already engaged, already engaged, already engaged… don’t think of anything else, don’t bring any dishonour to your family…’ she repeated it in her head like a mantra. ‘But Brother Lin is truly a fine man, ah!’ she ended up adding when her eyes landed on Lin Xiao and Long Yinlian again.

At this time, the members of the White Swan finally came over and took their seat. Their meal had already been served so as soon as they were seated, they quickly ate their meal. As mercenary who always travels around all the time, the way they ate can only be described with one word: Crude.

Ping Qiaolian saw this, and she once more felt that they are nothing but barbarians.

‘Aiya, even if you are displeased, can you at least hide it?’ Lin Xiao said in his mind. After being reprimanded twice, he learned not to speak out his mind again lest Long Yinlian will really get angry. Though it had never happened, Lin Xiao does not want to risk it. They say, if someone who are usually kind became angry, then they are scarier than the devil itself.

After they finished their lunch, they went back to the village entrance and went to find the guards in charge of keeping their transportation. Lin Xiao gave them another tip and they soon continued their travel.

Ruo An has already mentioned that he wanted to pass the path that was overrun with wolves earlier that day so they had picked up their pace. Unfortunately, Ping Qiaolian complained how the journey became unbearable because of the fast pace and how it was uncomfortable in her carriage due to the bumps. When Ping Jianyu told Long Yinlian about this, naturally Long Yinlian asked the rest of the group to slow down slightly.

In the end, Ruo An said that if they continue, they won’t be able to go through the path since the sky is now tinted with orange color. “Brother Lin,” Ruo An guides his horse closer to the wagon and started to speak with Lin Xiao. “The sky will turn dark soon and at this rate, it will be dangerous to continue our travel. I suggest we find a place to camp out tonight,” Ruo An informed Lin Xiao.

“Alright. Brother Ruo knows best when it comes to travelling. Inform the rest of the group,” Lin Xiao agreed immediately.

They had only just picked a spot to camp out when they hear a loud shrill from Ping Juanyu’s caravan and Lin Xiao let out a loud groan. ‘It must be that woman again. Let’s see what it is about…’ Lin Xiao got off the wagon and went over to meet with Ping Jianyu halfway. This way, Lin Xiao will be more assured that Ping Jianyu won’t take advantage of Long Yinlian’s kindness. “Speak. What does your daughter want this time, Master Ping?” Lin Xiao didn’t waste any time and immediately asked Ping Jianyu.

“Young Lord Lin… It’s like this,” Ping Jianyu began with a nervous thought. “My daughter doesn’t want to camp out. Is it possible that we go to a nearby town? If we can just go past this path tonight, there will be a town nearby,” Ping Jianyu explained to him.

“No. According to Brother Ruo, the path up ahead is overrun by wolves. They hunt in packs and is active at night. If we go, it will be dangerous,” Lin Xiao said, rejecting the merchant’s idea.

Apparently, Ping Qiaolian had walked over towards them and heard what Lin Xiao had said. This time, she could no longer hold back her anger and simply explodes. “Lin Xiao! I’ve just had enough of you!”

“Qiao-er…!” Ping Jianyu panicked and tried to calm her daughter before she said anything that would make them all regret. But Ping Qiaolian’s mouth ran off without waiting for him to say anything else.

“Earlier, you deliberately told them to quicken their pace making the journey unbearable! And now, you told us to camp out?! If we just continue a bit more, father said we can stay a night at a town! Are you really going to let a lady sleep outside in the wild like this?!”

While Ping Qiaolian ran out her mouth, Lin Xiao patiently waits for her to finish. And when she did, he just stared at her indifferently. “Are you done? If you want to continue, feel free. But we are camping out tonight. If the wolves decided to attack you then, we don’t care,” Lin Xiao said before he turned to Ping Jianyu. “Master Ping, I suggest you discipline your daughter well. If she continues this way, who know what will happen after she is married off, that is, if you are able to marry her off in the first place. After all, no one will want a spoiled, selfish and overbearing wife like her.”

“You—!”

“I what? Even if you ask everyone in the White Swan group, I doubt any of them would want you as a mistress, let alone as a wife!” Lin Xiao shot Ping Qiaolian down before she can even begin. A series of snicker could be heard from around them as the member of the White Swan felt pleased with how Lin Xiao dealt with Ping Qiaolian.

Unable to handle the criticized look she’s getting, Ping Qiaolian stomped her feet before returning to her carriage in a fit of a rage.

“Young Lord Lin… please forgive my daughter. I will go and talk to her. Later, I will tell her to go and apologize to you and the rest,” Ping Jianyu said as he went over to his daughter’s carriage, wanting to comfort Ping Qiaolian and tell her to be patient.

Meanwhile, Ruo An went over to Lin Xiao and placed an arm over Lin Xiao’s shoulder. “Brother Lin! I can’t believe you can be that ruthless to a woman!” though Ruo An said this, his face was all smiles, clearly loving the little face-slapping performance that Lin Xiao had given them to see earlier. “Saying that no one would want her as a mistress… her self-esteem will crumble.”

“What? Did I say something wrong? Or don’t tell me you actually want her to be your mistress!” Lin Xiao said as he stared at Ruo An.

“What? No! If she becomes my mistress, I’ll worry about my future children! She doesn’t seem to be that dependable!” Ruo An replied. “Actually, what is so bad with camping out anyway? I don’t see the lady you’re escorting complain about camping out,” Ruo An finally voiced out his displeasure on Ping Qiaolian.

“It’s just that she’s too self-entitled. The lady I’m escorting is even a higher birth than her and yet, she’s acting like a princess, wanting everyone to listen to every single whim of hers. I knew that I shouldn’t have agreed to let them tag along,” Lin Xiao said with a sigh.

“Your master is too kind. I fear that someone like him will always be taken advantage of… If that continues, he might lose his life one day,” Ruo An turned to Lin Xiao worriedly but when he saw Lin Xiao’s expression, he suddenly felt a shiver down his spine.

“I won’t let that happen. If anyone tries, they won’t see the light of new day,” Lin Xiao said with a cold tone before he went back to the wagon to help Long Yinlian down.

Ruo An stood rooted for a while before finally returning to his sense. “Those eyes from before is filled with murderous intent. It seems that his master is Brother Lin’s reverse dragon’s scales…” Ruo An quickly shook his head and immediately return to his group to prepare the camping area so that the night out would be more bearable.

1