Chapter 17
312 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Long hours passed and Qin YiJun was finally granted amnesty from entertaining the old men of the court. He had shown how dependable he was and Qin LuoZhuo’s plan of becoming the regent was foiled on the first day. When the meeting was finally adjourned, Qin YiJun glanced at his uncle and saw how ugly the other’s face was. ‘This royal uncle of mine… just how deep is your plot?’ Qin YiJun can’t help but wonder.

From this one meeting alone, Qin YiJun only found few who are allied to Qin LuoZhuo. As much as he wanted to immediately clean them up, it is considered improper since he had just assumed the throne. In addition, he lacked evidence to do so. After a while, he stood up and left the court hall and only then did the rest dared to leave.

Qin YiJun didn’t return to his residence and instead, heading towards the dungeon. The guards following him were confused but they didn’t say anything and obediently followed. When the guards on duty saw the Emperor coming towards the dungeon, they suddenly became nervous.

“This lowly guard sees the Emperor!” they greeted Qin YiJun with a clasped hand and bowed.

“En. Bring Zhen to where Li FangMing is held,” Qin YiJun said to the guards but he didn’t even spare a look on them. His eyes rest on the entrance of the dungeon, and he has a complicated expression on his face.

They walked through the dark, murky dungeon. The hallway were lighted by few torches and each time the guards patrolling saw the Emperor, they can’t help but feeling nervous. They went to the deeper until they reached their stop. At the end of the dungeon is a huge cell. This cell was usually used for those with a special identity and right now, the occupant of the cell is none other than Li FangMing who was currently asleep.

Qin YiJun glanced over at the warden in charge of the key. “Open the cell door, then leave us. Zhen wish to speak with Li FangMing, alone.”

“Your Majesty, that is not proper… We were ordered to keep an eye on the crimi—“

“Order? Are you saying that this Emperor’s word is worth less than whoever ordered you? Why don’t you tell Zhen who is it that seems to have more authority than Zhen within this Empire?” Qin YiJun narrowed his eyes at the warden who immediately felt cold sweat covering his body.

“This servant knows his wrong…” the warden said before he rushed over and unlocked the door to Li FangMing’s cell.

Qin YiJun walked towards the cell but before he entered, he looked over at the warden then to his guards. “When you leave, give the warden 40 stroke. If he struggles, add another 40,” Qin YiJun gave his order before finally entering the cell.

The warden’s face instantly turned pale. Before he could even beg for leniency, he was dragged away by Qin YiJun’s personal guards. Finally left alone, the young emperor went inside and approached the bed where Li FangMing is sleeping on.

He carefully sat down as to not wake Li FangMing up from his rest. He could see that his injuries from three days ago have started to heal. He had heard from Old Pan that Li FangMing’s injuries weren’t heavy but he still feels restless.

“Ming-er…” Qin YiJun called out in a soft voice, his finger gently tracing Li FangMing’s face.

Upon having the feeling of his face being touched, Li FangMing’s eyes fluttered open. The moment he saw Qin YiJun, his drowsiness disappeared and he quickly sat up.

“Your Majesty, please forgive this humble servant for his—“

“Ming-er… we’re alone now. You don’t have to bother with the formality,” Qin YiJun said as he gave Li FangMing a smile, his hand reaching out to caress Li FangMing’s face. But before he could even touch, Li FangMing pulled away.

“Your Majesty, please don’t jest. The Emperor is never alone. There should be several shadow guards around us right now, right?” Li FangMing kept his eyes lowered as he didn’t dare to look straight at Qin YiJun. He’s afraid that if he did, he won’t be able to keep his emotions in check.

When Qin YiJun saw how Li FangMing won’t even spare him a look, he felt sharp pain in his chest. “Ming-er, is it that now I’m the Emperor, you won’t even look at me anymore?” he asked but Li FangMing didn’t respond. “Ming-er, I’ve just lost my father… can’t you at least comfort me for a while?”

Li FangMing could hear the pleading tone that Qin YiJun used. He bit his lower lips before finally lifting up his head to face Qin YiJun. “Jun-ge, how can you even ask the one who is accused of killing your father to comfort you?”

“Because I know you are innocent. I don’t know why you didn’t speak out to defend yourself that night… But I do have an idea. It is related to my royal uncle, right?”

Li FangMing’s eyes widened. He did not expect that Qin YiJun would find out in a mere three days. But he also remembered Qin LuoZhuo’s threat so he quickly shook his head. “Jun-ge, please don’t do anything that would put you in danger… please. His plan is not shallow. He’s planning to use your emotions against you. He… he wanted to manipulate the citizens to think that you—“

He didn’t get to finish because Qin YiJun placed a finger over his lips. Seeing that Li FangMing had stopped talking, Qin YiJun finally speaks: “Is that what he told you?”

Li FangMing nods his head.

“What else? Ming-er, you need to tell me. Tell me so that I can protect you.”

At this, Li FangMing shook his head. “You can’t. That’s exactly what he wanted you to do. You don’t worry about me… I’ll find a way to escape.”

Qin YiJun frowned but seeing that Li FangMing’s eyes full of determination, he could only sigh. “My coronation is in seven days. Though the security will be tight, at least no one will think that there will be anyone to escape then. I will get someone to deliver you the key… When you escape, stay hidden first. Once I have gathered enough evidence, I’ll find you,” Qin YiJun said before he pulled Li FangMing into a hug. “So wait for me…”

Li FangMing felt warmth from the other seeping into his body. He lifted his arm and gently hugged Qin YiJun back. ‘Just this once… this will be the last.’

‘You are now the Emperor… I am not worthy to even look at you. Jun-ge, please forgive me. This is the only way that I know that I can protect you…’ he thought as he closed his eyes and tightened his hug. ‘Once I escape I will take care of Qin LuoZhuo for you. After that, I hope you won’t come looking for me. Just live well and be a good Emperor… I’ll look at you from afar. As long as you’re safe, I’ll be content.’

 

5