The Start of A Tale
1.2k 6 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The real meaning of 'Freedom'. What is 'Freedom'? Freedom is vague. When someone thought about freedom. One of the words that will surface is 'Unbound'. Everyone wants freedom. I mean that's why the Land of Freedom is there. But too much freedom also causes alot of problems. But more of the problems are caused by the retarded people.

'The concept of Freedom will contemplate each other. True Freedom will never be real.' I thought while looking out the window. 

'However, doesn't mean I won't try to find my freedom' I sighed silently. I look towards the teacher that is right now explaining his subject. It's a boring subject that I'm already good on. So I never paid any attention to it.

School for some people is a form of torture and for some a heaven. For me, school is just another place. I don't hate it, also I don't like it. Everything have some pro and cons. It just depends on how people see it.

Everything is the same for me. Either it's home or it's school. All of them is the same. But despite that I rather be at home. Why? It's just because of at my home I could play my games. 

In people's expectation a game enthusiast usually is not very smart. But that is not the case for me. After all, I'm way ahead of them. The knowledge they teach in highschool, I already learned them since middle school. But those knowledges have a cost. That is my freedom itself. So, I'm right now decided that those knowledges are worthless in front of freedom.

.

.

.

After a while, the time is finally here. It's time to go home. It's the time for me to relax. I packed my things up slowly. I do not need to rush things. After all, the school gate is packed and I rather not squeeze through them to go out.

"Yo, Kuuji. Wanna go home together?" A bright and cheerful voice coming from behind me is heard.

"Ho? Are you not gonna invite me too?" Another voice sounded. But instead of the bright and cheerful voice this one is more sophisticated and kind. I looked back and see two of my closest friends. They are right now arguing but I know that they're just joking and having fun. After all, we've been friends since we are a child.

The one with bright and cheerful voice is Kujo Genki. Just like his name, he is very energetic and lively. He is the tallest among us with his height reaching 176 cm. He is good in multiple sports such as basketball, baseball, and swimming. But his academics is pretty average to under average. He has a black spiky hair that for some reason make him look like a certain blue hedgehog. 

But as for his exact opposite, the one with the sophisticated and kind voice. His name is Yamada Shinsetsu. He's a kind, smart, sophisticated person. He is the exact opposite of Genki. He's quite bad at sports. In fact he's very bad at sports that even the teachers are quite surprised. He has a auburn brown hair with black sharp eyes. He wear also wear glasses. Overall, he looked like a nerd. We usually called him with the nickname 'Setsu'.

Now there's me. My name is Akai Yuuji. I'm the most normal out of the three of us. I have 'average' grades, I'm average in sports and other things. Even though earlier I said my grades are 'average' it's because I made them to be average. I already have quite the  attention in middle school and it's quite annoying. So now I made myself looked average. I have the same height as Setsu, which is around 167 cm. I have a long, straight, and smooth silky black hair. My eyes looked quite lifeless and I almost always have an emotionless face. It's apparently has been that way since I was little.

But that's enough for our introductions. I should stop them from arguing further. It's becoming quite loud and is gathering quite the attention.

"Can you guys stop that? It's becoming pretty loud" I said without even looking back to them while standing up. They stopped, looked at each other then started laughing. They apologised to each other while laughing. This always happen so it's pretty normal for us.

"Hahahaha, then shall we head home now?" Setsu said. We both nodded and we all walked together while joking. 

.

.

.

"Oh tomorrow is the start of summer break, right?" Setsu suddenly asked us. Genki seemed to realise something from his question and widens his eyes. Setsu is also smiling at this. I don't understand what they're thinking about so I just keep my silence.

"Hahaha, are you gonna play it?" Genki asked Setsu energetically. Setsu only nodded while still having an excited look on his face. I then tried to understand what they're talking about.

I then looked up to the giant screen that is used for broadcasting ads. Then I saw it. An ad of something that we have waited for a long time. It's a game, a game where there are basically no rule. You can't even cheat in it. It's a VRMMORPG called 'Tale of The Unbound'. It's an open world, online VRMMORPG that has been developed for more than 10 years. One of the most hyped game of all times.

Just like it's name there are basically no bound to your gameplay. The only rule being, no cheating. Even PK's will not get much punishments other than 'undescribed punishments' they said. And that game is being releases on this summer break. How can I forgot about it. 

"Ahhh, I see what you guys are talking about." I said while still looking at the giant ad screen.

"You finally realised? Hahahaha, I still remembered when we pre-ordered it 5 years ago." Genki said while laughing at the reminiscenese of our pasts. Back then we were always together. So when we saw this game we naturally pre-ordered it together.

"They said it could be pre-installed today." Setsu said enthusiastically. He looked very happy about it.

"That's a great thing. But still don't forget to do your summer homeworks" I reminded them. Well it's not fun to break the hype but It's gotta be done you know?

"Of course, unlike a certain someone we'll do our summer works quickly" Setsu said sarcastically. Of course that certain someone is.... Genki. He still looking at Setsu innocently while tilting his head while a big question mark popped up above his head. Setsu seeing this quickly facepalmed. I only laughed seeing this.

"You do know that he's talking about you, Genki" I said while laughing. He then realised about it and widens his eyes. He scratched his cheeks while laughing akwardly.

"Hehe, I'll try to do it early this year" 

"' We know you won't do that "' Me and Setsu said at the same time. Genki made a pained expression while clutching his heart at the same time. 

"I can't believe you guys don't have any trust on me" We then laughed it off together while heading home. 

.

.

.

We were walking and joking a lot while walking until we reached a three way intersection on the road. This is where we usually split up and meet up. Because we three lives on a different intersection of this road.

"I see, I have fun talking with everyone today. May we meet again tomorrow, Goodbye" Setsu said his always sophisticated and dramatic goodbyes.

"Hahahaha, see you guys tomorrow. Have a great one for the rest of the day" Genki said his overly energetic goodbyes.

"I see, see you all tomorrow. Good evening everybody" I said my plain and average goodbyes.

We then walked our own path to our homes. I in particular always walked slow and steady. After all it doesn't matter how late I reached my home. There's no one waiting there anyway.

So I stopped by at the small convinience store near my house. I know the usual receptionist guy there. He's a pretty chill kid. 

"Ah, hello again Akai-san." He said with a gentle smile. He always has this smile whenever someone entered. But in reality, his life is pretty bad. But because of my interference he has been living quite good.

.

.

.

<Flashback 2 Years Ago>

I was sitting on a bench in the park at night. I was just looking at the sky. On my city there's little pollution so the stars on the nightsky are still visible. I drank the soda I bought from a random convinience store.

"Hmm, what a great soda" I said in the middle of the silence. The park itself is dark without many light other than the light of the buildings near it. I'm of course alone here, after all there's no one going to the park. But that is where I'm wrong. 

The sounds of footsteps. It's very faint. But in this silence I still could hear it. The steps slowy but surely are coming towards me. A shadow then revealed itself. A boy my age, he's a little shorter than me. He looked very skinny and malnourished. The light in his eyes are flickering. They are fading rapidly. It's different from mine's. He still have his burning wills to survive. But mine's are completely dead with only a few things holding it on.

"I see" I muttered. I stood up and approached him. He seem quite scared when he sees me approaching him. I walked slowly to him while my steps are making a rythm of unique melody in the silence of the park. He is getting more and more scared each passing second. But when I arrived in front of him, I gave him something that I brought along with my drink, which is some Baumkuchen.

.

.

(A/N: For you guys that are wondering what is a Baumkuchen. It's a japanese food that you can buy in a convinience store. It's a circular multi-layered cake. It's pretty delicious, it also came with a lot of flavours)

.

.

He looked at the Baumkuchen I offered him warily. He seemed to be very careful and suspicious. But, I just don't care and decided to just shove it to his hand. I then just walked back to the bench where I sat.

He just stood there unmoving like a log. While staring back and forward towards me and the Baumkuchen. I still hold my emotionless face while seeing him acting like that. I took out my other Baumkuchen that I brought. This one is matcha flavoured. Not my favorite one, but is still very good. 

I opened the plastic wrap and bite into it. The flavour of the matcha is very good. It tasted quite sweet but not too sweet and the Baumkuchen itself is very soft. I then took a sip of the soda. I looked back at the boy I saw and he is still standing there unmoving, but now he's only staring at the Baumkuchen. I sighed but I decided to call him.

"Are you gonna eat that or not?" I asked him. My voice is cold and monotone. The cold atmosphere of the park became even colder because of my voice. He seemed startled and looked back at me before answering.

"Ah yes, I will" with a low voice. But even then he is still standing there.

'This kid is really pissing me off unintentionally' I though.

"What are you doing standing there? Come here and sit down." He seemed quite shocked but still walked towards me hesitantly. The tapping sound from his steps are messy with no rythm. But that shows on how weak he is right now.

He finally sat down next to me while I just seem unbothered by him and is gazing the stars. He still seemed nervous but he started to open the Baumkuchen packet slowly. He then bite into it and his eyes widens. He then ate it with a happy expression on his face. I wanted to ask some questions to him but that could wait.

.

.

.

"Finally done?" I asked him. He is finally done eating slowly. His eyes now regain some of it's light.

'To think a simple act of kindness can do this' I thought while seeing him smiling now. Thats right from a kid that almost has no light of will on his eyes to now a smiling normal kid just very skinny. Humans are such a simple being.

"Hmm, I'm done" He hummed happily.

"So what are you doing out here in the night?" I asked him. His face suddenly changed to now more gloomy one. He seemed to have a complicated expression on his face. His eyes reflect expressions such as, sadness, sorrow, hatred, and regret.

"I- I just need a break..." He stuttred slightly. It seems like he has a lot of problem at home. It seems to be quite complicated.  

"Wanna talk about it?" I asked him. He seemed to be quite surprised I asked him that. He right now seemed to be muttering somethings inaudible to me before looking at me and said.

"Sure".

.

.

.

"I see, that's quite complicated. What a drag isnt it?" I said while sighing. He looked at me weirdly but decided to not comment about it.

"So what do you want to do now?" I asked him while looking up to the sky. He widens his eyes in realisation.

"I- I.. I dont know" He muttered in a low voice. He seemed very restless. I even though I dont really care about other people, I still have a heart. 

"Want to stay with me?" I asked him. I unconsciously said that. Even I am surprised at what I said. Apparently he is even more surprised at it. I never really want to offer anybody I don't know to stay at my place. Because the only people that have ever stayed at my place are Genki and Setsu. But this kid... I felt quite the connection to him.

"You dont need to rush to accept it. I will wait for your answers." I said. But instead of thinking it through for quite a while he immediately answered.

"I will accept your offer. Please treat me kindly!" he said while bowing. I unconsciously smiled and started to get up. I walked away while he's still bowing.

"What are you waiting for? Lets go!" I shouted at him and he finally started running to catch up.

.

.

.

So for the next couple of months, he started to adapt to his situation here. His parents from his home never even tried to find him. Even when he's missing for more than 3 months, they still don't budge. So I decided to just report this to the legal authorities.

The authorities started to investigate things from the start. They surprisingly found a lot of things. Apparently his parent does a lot of crimes. Things ranging from child abuse, illegal items, drugs usage, and money laundering.

But this report also backfired me a little as they asked where my guardian is. But I just outsmart them and asked Genki's parent to pretend to be my guardian. Of course his guardian as well.

Also about the kid. I actually learned his name after 1 month he's staying at my place. Because all this time I just called him 'Kid', even though we're the same age. His name is apparently Moeru Ishi. 

So after all of his problem at home is resolved. I asked him what do he want to do now? He spent 1 week thinking about his plans carefully. That's a good thing as his plans will determine his future now. And his answer is.

"I want to sustain myself" He said. His resolve is quite big for a kid that almost died out of malnutrition.

"Do what you want. But if you need help, be sure to ask me for some help. I'll help you." I said that. In the past months almost year, I really quite bonded with him. But I still kept my emotionless face everywhere. He smiled brightly and happily said 'Yes'.

.

.

.

<Back to present>

All of that hardwork of his now reached this point. Even though he looked like a normal part-timer cashier here. He actually owned this store with the help of Genki's mother for legalisation.

"Ah yes, hello also, Kid." I said greeting him back.

"Still calling me Kid even though we're the same age." He said while laughing.

"Give me the usual" I said to him, completely ignoring what he said earlier. He then took out a plastic bag under the desk and gave it to me.

"Here you go, Akai-san. Enjoy it as always" He handed it over to me.

"Sure, here you go. Have a nice evening" I said while walking out of the store. Inside the plastic bag is three pack of Baumkuchen and two of my favorite soda cans. I smiled and headed back home.

.

.

.

<Time skip 3 hours>

"Lets see" I said while sitting in front of my computer. I've saved a lot of money for this computer. One of the highest specs you could possibly ever find.

But right now, I'm searching for a web that we've already remembered the link. Yep, it's a pre-order website for the game 'Tale of The Unbound'. The website is called 'The Key Of Binding Chains'. You basically bough the game and they will gave you a key. Each person has their own unique key. But my key is quite weird.

My key looked like it's formed from a formation of stars. The colour itself looked like a wallpaper of space that usually is in your phone. It's quite beautiful and very unique. The reason this key is unique is because it contains the scan of your character. Basically your body. It really is very futuristic. 

Right now the content of the website is only 2. My unique key and a jet black chest. It looked like a normal chest just coloured black. I dragged my key over to the chest and a very high quality animation happened. They key inserted itself to the keyhole of the chest. The key flipped and unlocked the chest making a clanking sound. I then tapped on the chest and a loading screen popped up. This is of course the download loading screen. 

I want to wait until the download is done, but my head suddenly hurt. So I decided to just left it open and go to sleep. I only hoped nothing goes wrong. After all, what could go wrong right?

22