Chapter 5-Council meeting
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The air smelled fresh after last nights downpour. Walking from his compound King Uripo scratched the damp earth with his staff. Most people would be busy in the fields putting seed in the ground. The summer rains were heavy but only lasted two months. After that the small showers that fell wouldn’t be enough to grow anything.

As soon as the trees began to sprout green leaves preparation of the fields had begun.

When he arrived at the Dare the council was already seated. The two warriors at the entrance announced him as he stepped through the doorway. Immediately the chiefs rose as one each bowing their head as he passed. He climbed the shallow steps to the lion throne and turned towards the room.

The twelve elders sat six on either side of the throne lion platform. They were each representatives of the six chiefdoms of Uripo. Elders Gava and Musoro were from Karao. Lunga and Moyo were Kesa. While Gore and Ndoro were from the south Kindaka. Also from the south were Bambi chiefdom representatives Tavengwa and Muza. Then there was Chuma and Zulu from the Mate chiefdom. The last pair was Elder Kojo and Kwame from Manika the most problematic of all the chiefdoms.

King Uripo sat on his throne.  The day was becoming hot and he wished he could take off the lion pelt resting across his shoulders. Unfortunately he was king and the lion pelt was to be worn whenever he sat on the lion throne. The only good thing was that open sides of the Dare which allowed a bit of air to circulate.

The throne was uncomfortable. It was carved from a single piece of black granite. The back and the seat were unadorned. The arms however were two majestic lions staring with stony menace at the occupants of the room. He shifted resting his left elbow on the lion’s back. He gave the warriors at the door a brief nod giving his attention to the days proceedings.

The warriors allowed three men to enter. Dongo chief of Mate walked in front of Chihuri chief of Kesa and his son hhh. The chiefs ruled over neighboring lands in the southwest and were good friends before their dispute. Having failed to reach an amicable resolution they brought the matter before his council, the highest authority in the land.

“Chief Dongo and Chihuri your disagreement does not please me. Such things should be beneath the leaders of this land,” he said. If this turned out to be something they could have solved on their own they would know his displeasure. “May the accuser speak.”

“We married into Dongo’s family in good faith, my King,” Chihuri said. “Until now he was a man I respected and even called friend. I was happy to take his daughter as my son’s wife. It came as a shock when my daughter-in-law turned out to be unchaste and pregnant. My son was never alone with the young woman before their marriage. There is no way he could be the father of her baby. I made this clear to my friend but he accused me of falsehood.”

The tall thin man was obviously upset but was determined to keep a civil tongue for the council. Turning to the other chief who was currently staring at his former friend with open hatred.

“Chief Dongo, what do you have to say about this?” King Uripo asked.

“My King, my elders,” Dongo greeted the council. “I am a man of honor and would never have tried to trick my fellow chief and friend. My daughter has always been protected in my home. The only time she had unsupervised time with a man was when she married Chihuri’s son.”

Chief Chihuri snorted and Uripo frowned at him.

“Tino step forward,” Uripo said. The young man had spent some time in Zambezia a few years back. He was one of the few men personally trained by his brother. He only trained men he believed were honorable. ”Was the girl a virgin when she came into your home.”

“She wasn’t a virgin, my king. In fact the thing shocked me so much I never consummated the marriage. If she is pregnant it is not because of me.”

“It’s a lie!” Dongo shouted. He pointed an accusing finger at the young man. Tino did not deign to answer instead he maintained King Uripo’s steady gaze. “That child is yours. There is no one else.”

Chief Chihuri placed himself in front of Chief Dongo shielding his warrior son from any threat, “You can’t force my son to take a child who isn’t our blood. I won’t allow it.”

“Are you trying to say I am a liar?” The veins popped on Dongo’s sweaty brow. He was practically vibrating with rage.

“That’s exactly what I am saying,” Chief Chihuri retorted.

Gnashing his teeth Chief Dongo advanced on Chief Chihuri.

“Enough!” King Uripo bellowed silencing the two men who looked like they were about to come to blows. “I’ll not hear any more accusations from you both. You brought this issue to my council. Therefore we will decide who speaks the truth not you.”

The Chiefs instantly subsided.

 “I am sorry, my King. I let my emotions get the better of me,” Chief Dongo said looking suitably chastened. “It’s difficult to listen to someone blacken the name of my daughter and my family’s reputation.”

“I am sorry for disrespecting the king and his council. It will not happen again,” said Chief Chihuri.

King Uripo acknowledged the apology with a slight inclination of his head. He wanted the matter finished as soon as possible. He almost sighed in relief when Gogo Mangwana entered with the girl who had caused all the conflict.

“What have you found, Gogo?” he asked her immediately.

“The girl is almost five months pregnant, my king.”

At her pronouncement, an uproar started again. It was now obvious the girl had lied. She had become Tino’s wife only three months ago. King Uripo kept his eyes fixed on the girl who kept her eyes downcast.

“Who made you pregnant girl?” he asked her after silencing the chiefs.

At his question all eyes shifted to Dongo’s daughter. Tears made a stream down her brown cheeks and fell from her chin. She was a pretty thing with beautific features and a curvaceous body. Unfortunately that wouldn’t do her any good now.

“Your crocodile tears don’t move me,” King Uripo growled. “You allowed this matter to go this far knowing full well it was all a lie.”

When she remained silent, he thundered, “Speak!”

“I can’t,” her voice was a thin whisper. Her narrow shoulders shook and she jammed her hands into her armpits in a sorry attempt to stop the shakes.

“Your baby has a father, name him?” one of the elders said. “One way or the other we will know the truth.”

She sniffled but remained stubbornly silent.

Chief Dongo stepped forward, ”It’s to my shame that I must admit my daughter’s shame. I apologize to the council but above all my friend Chihuri who was smeared by this scandal. I promise you I will get to the bottom of this and make the guilty man pay.”

“Come on Chido,” he reached for the girl but she flinched away. It was a tiny movement but it was telling to an acute observer like him.

“We’re not done here,” King Uripo said to chief Dongo. Chief Dongo dropped his hand and waited to hear what he had to say.

King Uripo softened his voice, “Chido, you know the future that awaits a girl in your situation. Is that what you want?”

Chido shook her head.

“Speak and perhaps we can persuade the man to marry you.”

“I can’t marry him,” her voice was a thready whisper.

“You have no choice. A man who deflowers a virgin must always be prepared to marry her or face the consequences. You know this.”

“She will only waste your time, my king. This girl is stubborn she won’t be talking any time soon,” Dongo said making an impatient sound. Again the girl shied away from him. “I’m sure the council has better things to do”

Some of the elders nodded but King Uripo wasn’t deterred. There was something else going on and he would find out what it was. “With all due respect Chief Dongo you have had the girl with you for weeks. I don’t have confidence in your ability to get to the truth.”

“She is my daughter,” Chief Dongo sputtered in outrage.

“A daughter you failed to protect!”

“How can I be held responsible for this harlots loose conduct? I did my best to raise her well.” Dongo whined but King Uripo was done talking to the fool.

“Chido this is your last chance to tell the truth.”

The girl quivered where she stood but she finally spoke. “If the king agrees to place me under his protection I will speak.”

The king’s brow went up at her unusual request but he nodded. He wanted this matter finished once and for all.

“You have my promise.”

“I can’t marry him and he can’t marry me because he is my very own father,” she said in an anguished whisper.

Her statement brought exclamations of shock and disgust from the elders. Chihuri’s jaw was catching flies.

“You filthy liar!” Chief Dongo descended on his daughter with wild slaps. Chido whimpered raising her arms to protect herself from the blows. In a matter of moments King Uripo’s warriors pulled Dongo away from his daughter and restrained him.

“I am not lying, my king,” she cried throwing herself at his feet. “It was him. I tried to tell my mother but she has no power over him. As soon as he realized I was pregnant he began to look for a husband for me.”

Chido tearfully told the council about her rape at her father’s hands from a very young age. Chief Dongo denied her allegations but King Uripo had no doubt that she told the truth. She had nothing to gain and everything to lose.

“Chief Tavengwa you’ll make arrangements for the girl,” he said. “As for you Chief Dongo you know the law.”

“Please have mercy!” Dongo cried. “It was my wife. She isn’t a proper wife to me.”

“We’re not animals. You were a chief and you know better,” said elder Gava.

King Uripo felt like lightning had struck him and he straightened in his seat. He was king and he’d broken the law. His title would not save him. Just like Dongo he would be judged harshly if the council ever found out what he had done.

“Dongo you’re stripped of your title as chief. Your eldest son will take over your lands. From this day you’re no longer a resident of Uripo. You will leave these lands and never come back.”

As the council made the proclamation runners would be sent out to pass on the news of Dongo’s banishment.

Uripo’s heart twisted in his chest when he looked down on the girl still crying at his feet. He couldn’t change the law for her but he could make her life easier.

“Elder Tavengwa you will give Dongo’s daughter a piece of land at the edge of the village. You will ensure that a hut is built and that seed and tools are made available to her.”

Chido gasped looking up at him with round tear-wet eyes. She wasn’t the only one surprised by his generous action. The elders gaped at him as if he wore a snake on his head.

“But my king you can’t do that!” said Elder Musoro. “If other young women hear of this they may be tempted to take advantage.”

A few elders nodded in agreement.

“Having a place to stay will not lessen the punishment this girl faces. She will never marry. She will be an outcast to her relatives and the families of Uripo. I doubt any sane young woman would envy such circumstances.” He glared at the elders challenging the council to deny his words but no one spoke up because his words were nothing but the truth.

“The king is full of wisdom and kindness,” said old Gava the oldest member of the council.

“Thank you my king,” Chido said as she was led away from the council.

After the disputing chiefs left King Uripo passed judgment on his people with the help of the elders for the rest of the morning. And now that all kingdom affairs and disputes had been dealt with the council moved on to other topics.

 

“Any news from Manika?” enquired Elder Kojo.

“I’m sure news will come any day now,” Saga replied. “It takes at least a week for a runner to travel from Manika.”

“The news is always the same, Kojo,” Elder Zulu pointed out. “Are you expecting something different this time?”

“The Mutapa are taking more and more people now. Those are my people. Any news is important,” Elder Kojo’s indignant retort destroyed the lazy atmosphere in the Dare.

“True but there is nothing to be done,” said Zulu. “Nothing has been done for the last hundred years.”

This direct jab was no doubt directed at the king and his family who had failed to find a solution to Manika. King Uripo frowned.

“Nothing has changed in Manika but there is no need to show such callous disregard to the suffering taking place in Manika,” King Uripo said.

“I apologize to the king and the council if my words seemed insensitive but we are the elders of this land. Chief Kojo is asking questions he already knows the answers to.”

“It does no good to beat a dead donkey,” Elder Tavengwa said.

Elder Kwame looked troubled but stopped Elder Kojo from speaking any further. It seemed the council was tired of hearing about Manika’s tragedies.

King Uripo observed and saw blatant disinterest and even some resentment on some faces. This issue had gone on too long.

Manika was a problem. He hoped Dzukwa would finally come up with something to prevent the raids once and for all. It didn’t do the royal image any good whenever the Mutapa carried away people under his protection. It made him look weak. A King who couldn’t protect his people was no king at all.

“We have discussed this before. For now there is no solution. I promise Dzukwa and his warriors are working hard to find a way,” King Uripo said. He looked at the Manika elders in the eye to ensure they knew he meant it. “Manika is a part of Uripo and its people deserve to know the peace enjoyed by the other chiefdoms. We must all keep that in mind.” His gaze travelled over the elders inspiring shame in some.

He wished with all his heart that they could defeat the Mutapa in his generation but so many had failed in the past.

 

Though the day was over the elders always lingered over a cup or two of beer. Normally King Uripo would have taken the time to catch up on village gossip. But not today.  Today he wished to be with his son. 

 

Unfortunately, the council elders surrounded him before he could make an early escape. Tavengwa stood at the forefront to offer his felicitations.

 

“Congratulations, my King,” Tavengwa said, yanking the king out of his thoughts. “As soon as it is possible my wife and I will come to visit with the prince.”

 

“Thank you, Tavengwa,” he replied. He made an effort to keep his royal composure. He never once let his impatience show on his face when it seemed every elder in the council wanted to congratulate him personally.

 

“Congratulations! This is such wonderful news. Our prince has arrived at last,” said old Gava.

 

“We are really happy the prince and his mother are safe and sound.”

 

“The Creator is merciful,” said Chief Musoro. “The people of Uripo have waited a long time for their prince.”

 

Uripo smiled and laughed at the right time. Told a few jokes but all he wanted to do was to get away.

 

He stayed long enough to fulfill his duty. Not a moment longer. He eventually moved off leaving the elders to their socializing. If they found his behavior strange they did not comment within his hearing. Let them talk. The Creator had smiled on him. He would enjoy his son without apology. 

King Uripo left the council and walked home. His pace was unhurried, hands crossed at the small of his back as he caught the last rays of the sun. The sun was setting painting the treetops with orange fire streaked with purple. A few clouds floated in the west too small to offer rain.

At the compound, he headed straight for Mutsa’s hut.

 

“Good evening, my husband,” Mutsa greeted as he closed the door behind him.

 

“My love why aren’t you resting?” he asked.

 

Mutsa sat on a bench close to the fire. The King was worried about her, she’d left the childbed only three days ago. She was growing stronger each day but still looked fatigued.

 

“I would lie down gladly if I could,” she replied. “But our son feeds constantly. It is as if he has a bottomless pit in his stomach.”

 

King Uripo laughed. “It is good. He will soon grow. Though you should let one of the girls tend him while you rest.”

 

The King came to stand behind her and looked down at the baby. Ezze’s eyes were closed while his mouth worked industriously on his mother’s tit. Except for their size the twins had indistinguishable facial features. One could easily have been taken for the other.

 

The night King Uripo left Kadiki’s compound he’d been a little shocked the first time Ezze opened his eyes. Their fathomless brown depths so full of innocence had reminded him of his short time in the fishermen’s cave with the other twin. The memory was seared into his mind never to be forgotten. A part of him was grateful they were so alike, through Ezze he’d have a piece of the child Kadiki was taking to Nyasa.

 

He looked down at the son he’d kept with undisguised love. The conviction that he’d done the right thing grew. Somewhere across the river, the other twin would grow. He would become a man, take a wife and bear children. He would never know the truth of his birth. Never know his royal heritage.  But he would live out the fullness of his days.

 

“He is going to be a giant of a man,” Mutsa said taking Ezze’s measure by the length of her arms. “Do you see how tall he already is?”

 

Uripo laughed, his eyes shining with pride, “His father is not a small man.”

 

“So, you are going to take all the credit?” Mutsa teased. “My father is a tall man too.”

 

“True, but look at our son. The boy obviously looks like me,” he said. “No one not even my brother Dzukwa has a nose like that. I inherited it from my maternal grandmother. And his head has the exact same shape as mine.”

 

“He does resemble you greatly,” she conceded with a laugh.

 

When the boy had done feeding King Uripo held the boy in his arms while his mother went out to take care of nature’s call. When she returned she found Uripo cooing down at the boy.

 

“You look happy,” she said softly.

 

“I am very happy,” he said rocking the child.

 

“Do you…” she hesitated turning away to look outside.

 

“Do I what?”

 

“Do you ever think about him?” Mutsa turned back to face him. There was no need to elaborate on which him. For three days they had avoided talk about the twin who had not been chosen. He stood like a ghost between them. The son they had given up to keep Ezze.

 

“There is no reason to question it now. What is done is done,” he replied hoping his stern expression would warn her to change the subject. For the first time in his life, he couldn’t look her in the eye.  

 

“Did he suffer?”

 

“What is this woman?” With an abrupt motion, the King stood up and handed the baby to his mother.

 

He knew Mutsa had taken the loss of the twin badly. But he had no intention of sharing his secret with her. Only three people knew the truth and it would stay that way. “Can we not speak of happier things?”

 

“We will have to talk about it eventually,” she insisted.

 

“You need to rest now I will return later,” He marched past her before she could formulate a response.

 

The subject of the twin was a painful one. Their son wouldn’t return. Once Kadiki crossed the Black River he would be gone forever and talking wouldn’t change a thing. Perhaps in a year or two he could talk about twins without losing his mind.

 

He strode out of the hut, left the King’s compound and headed for the fields.

 

His steps only slowed as he approached the edge of his farm. The fragrance of freshly turned earth and grass rose up around him as he walked slowly down the narrow pathways, pausing now and then to pull a weed from the ground. The field had been cleared for planting. Three quarters was already seeded. Bit by bit his mind calmed.

 

Mutsa had given him a miracle, and in doing so had turned the ugliness of his life into beauty. He couldn’t be angry with her. She didn’t understand. His secret was eating him on the inside.

 

Briefly he wondered if offered the chance if she would understand what he’d done. He was tempted to tell her everything. He wished he could talk to someone. Anyone.

 

As it was he had already risked far too much. It wasn’t safe to confide in anyone not even his beloved wife.

 

 A soft footfall, the scent of warm skin, alerted him to her presence. He whirled around his gaze piercing.

 

"What are you doing here?" he demanded. "I thought I told you to rest."

 

She stepped closer to him, her eyes sparkling with anger, her lips worked as she struggled for words. The King was struck by her beauty afresh. Her mahogany skin glowed in the dying rays of the sun. Her feet were bare pushing into the freshly turned soil. It was oddly provocative.

 

"I…I…"

 

"Speak up, woman. You must have a good reason for following me all this way." She barely came up to his shoulders yet she stood up to him. His respect for her kicked up a notch.

"It is not right," she replied candidly, "I was thinking about our sons. About us. You act as if it is your loss alone. I carried those boys in my stomach for months. Felt them move, talked to them and I loved them.”

 

“Mutsa-”

 

“How do you think I feel?” she demanded. “When I saw you coming to the farm, I followed you with the full intention of giving you a piece of my mind. But when I got here and saw you. I began to wonder at your reason for running out here at this time of the day." She said indicating the empty fields. All the workers had long since departed.

 

Her words sent a shard of pain into his heart. “Do I need a reason to walk in my own fields?”

 

“You are acting out of character and it worries me,” she said. “You have not been the same since the twins’ birth.”

 

"Do you think because you’re a woman you have exclusive rights to feel pain at the loss of a child? I was also thinking about our other son," he admitted after an uncomfortable pause. “Something you insist on reminding me of.”

 

Mutsa blinked back tears and worked hard to even out her expression. He didn’t know what had gotten into her pushing him too far too soon. "Were you, my husband?"

 

He nodded, his gaze sweeping over her. "Why can't you let it go, Mutsa?" Surprised by her candor and delighted to know he had been in her thoughts, he took a step closer. "Is it not bad enough that this evil thing happened to us?"

 

“The twins were…a shock,” she said softly, rubbing her arms as if she were cold.

 

He laughed without humor at the huge understatement. A shock?

 

"I just wanted you to know that I understand," she said. “It is not your fault. There was nothing we could have done to save him. I wish there was someone else to take him to the river if only to spare you the agony.”

 

King Uripo was speechless. No one not a single person had spoken to him about the toll it would take sending a child to the spirit realm. They had all taken it as a matter of course. Nobody knew. Nobody cared. Only this small woman had cared enough about his feelings to offer comfort. Even believing that he had thrown the child into the black river she still offered him unconditional love.

 

He felt guilty at his ongoing deception. Eyes burning with emotion he offered her the only tribute he could. “Thank you.”

 

They embraced taking comfort from each other. The sun set on them and together they walked hand in hand back to the King’s compound.

 

 

 

1