Chapter 98 – Guild and Tale
547 0 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Hunter’s Guild of Dalston was one of the largest in the Federation. As both a major city and a location with a wellspring of wildlife to hunt in the surrounding forests it was always destined to become a central location in their organisation. They resided inside of a large compound on the edge of the city proper. It was surrounded by a stone wall, with a pair of wooden gates allowing entry into the main courtyard. Sometimes that area would be opened to the public for an open market where the hunters would sell meat, fur and spare trophies to eager buyers.

Beyond that was the lodge house. It was a big, long building, three stories tall and complete with ‘modern’ glass windows. The Hunter’s Guild enjoyed significant wealth as they catered to both the rich and the poor. Meat was always in demand by everyone and high-quality furs could bring in big paydays. The market was closed that day, dashing the chances of getting an easy in through the front door.

Not that it mattered in the end.

As we walked up to the main gate – we could overhear a rambunctious argument breaking out. Two men stood in the doorway and looked inside, both of them dressed in a hunter’s uniform. As we got closer and into earshot, we overheard a heated debate about showing trade secrets to an outsider. One of the younger members had broken the embargo. Just as we arrived at the open door, the spat came to an end with someone pushing past us in a huff.

The two guards watched him as he went, their attention soon turning to us instead.

“What’s your business? Market is closed today.”

“I was hoping to talk with someone, maybe trade a little information.”

The man on the left shook his head, “You’re not a member – if you’re looking to poach game I suggest you go elsewhere.”

“I’m no hunter, indeed. But surely the foremost experts in the continent’s wildlife would know what I’m looking for.”

His eyes snapped to Tahar, whose gigantic bow was still hanging from her back. That might have undermined my argument a little, but divine intervention struck as an older man poked his head through to see what the noise was about. He pointed to me with a craggy indifference, “Who’re these?”

The guard sighed, “They wanted to ask for ‘information’ sir, offered metal for it.”

“Well don’t be a bad host,” he scoffed, “Let me have a word with them and see what this is about.”

The guards stepped aside and allowed me to enter into the courtyard behind him. Piles of skinned animals lay on either side of the lot. Even then dozens of people worked to gut, sort and dispense with the goods that had been hunted by their members. The man coughed into his hand and turned back to me, “What a rotten smell, don’t you think?”

It was terrible, though compared to a battlefield it was almost like a field of blooming flowers. Before I could give him an answer, he had already moved on to the next thing. “What do you want with the Hunter’s Guild then? Not many people are willing to come here and risk walking away with a few less teeth.”

“I didn’t come down here to insult anybody,” I replied sternly,, “I’m looking for some information, or even rumours will do.”

“Rumours? I ain’t no gossiping housewife lad.”

“But you’re a senior member here.”

“Aye. The name’s Preiss. And you?”

“Ren.”

For a moment I feared an adverse reaction. The opposite was true. His face broke into a beaming grin as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder and jostled me back and forth. “You’re the lad who showed that Lord Forester what for? Good man! Good man!” 

He must have been paying a lot of attention to those rumours he just disparaged to know that. I marked his nationalist tendencies into my mental notebook for later.

“Uh, I don’t know if I’m at liberty to say…”

“It’s fine! Everyone’s been talking about what you did. As far as I’m concerned, you’re a damn hero. Ask me whatever you like!”

“It’s nothing big. We were just wondering if you’d heard any whispers about a big, powerful monster rampaging about.”

He frowned, his bushy white eyebrows knitting together into one long hedge; “There are easier ways to get some meat than that.”

“It’s not about meat or fur,” I explained, “That’s why I thought to ask here. I know how closely guarded the market is.”

Preiss stroked his chin, “I know a couple things, news getting passed around by some of the boys. If you aren’t itching to interfere with our business, I can do you a favour and tell you what I’ve heard. We wouldn’t touch beasties like those come hell or high water. You leave that kind of thing to the army or some mercenaries.”

I saw a chance to pry open his mouth, “As it happens, I am a mercenary.”

“Aye, I figured as much from the way you killed that Forester bastard. Gold and glory is it? Well, I can share what I know.”

“Go ahead.”

He held out his fingers, “I’ve heard three big things lately! That up north near Noel’s Chapel there’s a bloody big drake stomping about. That an elemental spirit is burning up the fields around Brereton. Last, there’s some rumblings coming from Pascen that something strange is going on.”

“Strange?”

He shrugged, “I don’t know what it is. They’re keeping that information locked up tight, and not too many people are travelling to and from there at the moment.”

Cali was intrigued; “A wandering spirit? They have a profound magical energy. Though the drake will surely prove to be even greater in bounty.”

I needed to narrow them down to the facts, “Which story do you trust the most?”

“I heard about the drake from my boy Davis. He’s not the sort to spread baseless tall tales, and he knows a lot of people who live in that area.”

“And the elemental?”

“That’s a story being passed between a few different people. All of the grain transporters are up in arms about it. If it’s affecting their bottom line – I think there’s a spot of truth to it.”

And lastly, “What about Pascen? We were there recently when the giants were still a problem.”

“Nah, that giant thing’s been cleaned up proper now. I’ve heard all sorts of things from different people, but nothing from the horse’s mouth. They say that the weather’s been even worse than usual and that strange things are happening down there. They make it sound like the world’s ending.”

He chortled at the memory, though for me it was no laughing matter. An errant memory of a magical tree drifted through my head. It seemed that we had two good leads to go on, and one more tenuous one that didn’t guarantee a monster to slay. Stigma appeared from behind the hunter and pretended to lean against him.

“Both would be a boon to us, master. An elemental has enough energy to support us for some five or six years. A drake? Over ten.”

That meant we needed to decide. Noel’s Chapel was way to the north, it would take a long time to hike up there, and we’d need to prepare for cold weather. The drake would be troublesome. I’d liken it to the burrowing terror that nearly snapped me in two back on Versia. They were tough, and people who could slay one were highly regarded as warriors and heroes.

Brereton was much closer, it was a week’s travel from where we were. An elemental usually came with an obvious weakness. If it was rampaging through the heartlands of the Federation, it may turn out to be a waste of time. They’d be working hard to slay it themselves and protect their breadbasket. We could march all the way down there just for nothing.

No such protection would be afforded to Noel’s Chapel. It was an insular community that exported a selection of exotic materials from the nearby mines. Food was a much more pressing concern for the government than making black-marble statues for noble gardens. Would we be able to kill it if we tried?

“I know that look,” Stigma tittered, “You’re worried you aren’t strong enough. There is no need to worry, we will surmount any obstacle that lies in the way of your ambition. And if it really is too much, you already have the answer residing within that bag of yours.”

The dagger. If I consumed it, it would increase Stigma’s power – but also progress my condition.

“Do you know anyone who could corroborate the story about the drake?”

“If it’s about Noel’s Chapel, I’d ask some of the stone smiths in town.  They’re the ones who buy most of what that place digs up. Might be tough finding ‘em though – ever since the Federation embargoed trade with Sull, their rich clientele has dried up. Some of them have had to switch jobs even.”

“Well, it’s a start. Thanks for the tip off.”

I reached into my pocket and tossed him a few bars. He was surprised by the payment, “What’re you payin’ me for, you silly bastard?”

I laughed, “Information is worth something. I didn’t expect anyone to talk to me when I came down here in the first place.”

“You really don’t have to-“

“I just got a big payday. That’s spare change, just take it.”

I didn’t give him a chance to object and return the money to me. He grumbled under his breath and put it into his own pocket. “I would’ve given you it for free. You did us all a big favour when you put that Forester guy to bed.”

“I take it you are very invested in the war?” Cali asked.

He nodded solemnly, “You’re bloody well right I am. Some of my good friends died in the fighting, all just so those royalist buggers could take a territory with barely anything of worth in it.”

I could relate, “That’s war, it’s rarely a worthwhile endeavour. A lot of people getting their life cut short just to move a line on a map. They don’t realise that what those men could do with their labour is more valuable.”

“I never thought about it that way.”

“It’s better for everyone if it doesn’t happen in the first place – but with ego on the line, leaders are want to start whatever fights they can. Nothing cements a legacy like delivering a fatal blow to the enemy or dying in glorious combat.”

He hacked out a tired chuckle, “Those Sull lads, they have ego to spare. From where I’m standing all that belly-aching about the power of the monarchy seems like wasted effort. The Federation’s standing toe to toe with ‘em again.”

“Hopefully cooler heads prevail soon.”

“I rather enjoy the threat,” Cali murmured.

“We’ve got a drake to kill. Thanks again.”

“Show ‘em how it’s done lad,” he said. He waved goodbye as we passed back through the gate and onto the main road. It was a surprisingly cordial and fast affair. I’d gotten some good hints at a discount price. Now I could question the stone smiths to find out more details about whether this wyvern was the real deal or just a load of hot air.

Cali snapped back to attention as I asked her a question of my own, “Have you fought a spirit before?”

“I have. Many of my frequent clients make use of my magical abilities to counter their powers. The Federation has found itself under attack by fire elementals for many decades, especially in the regions where there is a large quantity of flammable flora.”

“Like the farmlands to the south.”

“That is correct.”

Tahar was focused on the other tip, she pounded her chest with visible excitement; “Great drake ignites hunter’s spirit. A worthy foe and tale to bring to tribe.”

“We’ll have to see which one turns out to be true first,” I explained.

It was time to put my detective’s hat on and press people for some more information.

24