Chapter 72 – Meng Mother’s view
10.4k 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just as Zhou Zhe reached the table, Meng Mother was at the same time smiling and greeting Chen Ruo Yu. 

The scene was smoother than Chen Ruo Yu had anticipated.  Zhou Father and Zhou Mother also exchanged greetings with Meng Mother.  The two sides did not inquire about their status on the spot and Zhou Zhe apologized to Chen Ruo Yu in embarrassment for causing her trouble.  Meng Mother took the opportunity to ask Chen Ruo Yu if she had time and said she wanted someone to accompany her to go shopping again.

When Zhou Father and Zhou Mother saw their son was not too happy, quickly and politely they told Chen Ruo Yu that they would not bother her any longer.  So the two sides said goodbye courteously and Chen Ruo Yu was smoothly brought out of the restaurant by Meng Mother.

Meng Mother led Chen Ruo Yu around shopping for a while.  When Chen Ruo Yu saw her carrying so many bags, she was thinking about how to offer her help to carry some of the bags when Meng Mother turned her footsteps and walked into a café.  

Ai……it seems like another round of elder conversation is about to start.

Chen Ruo Yu sighed in her heart, gritted her teeth and followed behind Meng Mother.  She knew that this time, she would not be able to sneak into the toilet to look for her Mr. Tyrannosaurus for energy.

Meng Mother sat down while smiling at her with familiarity.

The two people each ordered a drink and Chen Ruo Yu sat upright stiffly waiting for Meng Mother to speak.

But Meng Mother was not in a hurry and she smiled as she studied the café’s drinks list.  She also looked at Chen Ruo Yu with a smile and did not say anything for a long time.  Just as Chen Ruo Yu was getting more and more nervous, wondering whether she should speak first, Meng Mother spoke up. 

“Xiao Yu, who were those two people just now?”

It’s coming, it’s coming……those questions that are difficult to answer are coming!

Chen Ruo Yu hesitated for half a second and her messy brain was really not bright, so she told Meng Mother straight.  “They are elders from my hometown and I’ve gone on a blind date with their son, Mr. Zhou, the man who came in. So it can be considered I am familiar with them.  This time, they came to A-city and came to look for me to accompany them to walk around and have a meal with them.”

Before Meng Mother could speak, Chen Ruo Yu quickly added.  “Dr. Meng also knows about this matter.  I’ve called to tell him.”

Meng Mother smiled.  “I know.  I called him just know.”

“Ah?”  Chen Ruo Yu gaped and was very surprised.

“I was buying clothes for his father and felt one of them was also suitable for him.  So I called him and as a result, he told me that someone is buying his clothes now and told me not to worry.”

This made Chen Ruo Yu bit her lip and felt a little embarrassed.  This Meng Gu……when she bought something for him, he would be choosy and then turned around to advertise his clothes was bought by someone.

“He also told me that you were nearby and having a meal with other people.  I just randomly asked him a few words and he told me they were your blind-date’s parents from your hometown.  He also told me that someone was going to snatch away my daughter-in-law and asked me whether I feel anxious or not.  So I came over to have a look.”

When Chen Ruo Yu heard this, she felt her face turning green.  Is there such a person who would set up his girlfriend?  This Tyrannosaurus, does he need to be so direct with his mother?  Fortunately, she did not lie to Meng Mother just now otherwise she would feel so shameful in front of her.

Suddenly Chen Ruo Yu gathered her thoughts and when she looked up, Meng Mother was smiling at her.  All this while, she was smiling and she was very amiable.  But just now, she already knew the identity of Zhou Zhe’s parents but she still asked her specifically about them.  Is this Meng Mother’s way of testing her?  Does she want to see whether she will lie to her?

Chen Ruo Yu could not help but wipe the non-existing sweat on her forehead.

This is dangerous…….this is too dangerous!

Fortunately, her response is slow and she is not smart.  If her melon head had been brighter, and she could think of a bunch of good ideas, after saying a whole lot of nonsense, she is afraid she would not have a way to untangle herself.

“Xiao Yu, you have been in a relationship with Meng Gu for such a long time and I’ve been waiting for you to come to see me but you never came.”

“That……”  She was wrong.  Slow response and not being smart is also not good.  At this moment, what must she say that is considered appropriate?

“I feel that the time is not right yet.”  She really could not say anything else so it was better for her to say directly.

“Then when is considered the right time?”  Meng Mother sipped her coffee and smiled.

“Probably…….when there is enough confidence.”

“Oh, so that’s it…..”  Meng Mother put down the cup, looked at Chen Ruo Yu and smiled again.  “I had seen all the girls that Meng Gu had been together with and including you, there is a total of four.”

Chen Ruo Yu twitched her mouth and nodded.  Is it time to do comparisons already?

“Among the four, probably you are the only one who feels unconfident.”

“Ah?”  Chen Ruo Yu was unacceptable to her point.  “Auntie, the most unconfident should be Qi Yao.  She felt that her family and her conditions did not match up for both of them to be together until they grow old.  She is less confident than me.  I really think that I can be together with Dr. Meng for a very, very long time.  It’s just that we need time to slowly adapt and smooth out some problems.  I am not without confidence.”

Meng Mother laughed aloud and said.  “You are wrong.  Qi Yao is not unconfident, she was too confident.  She thought Meng Gu would wait for her and could not do without her.  The only thing is……she was wrong.”

The words were said with a smile but with an imposing manner.  Chen Ruo Yu nodded.  This time, it is clear that sitting opposite her is a mother who truly protects her son.  Although she constantly has a smile on her face, she is extremely sharp and fierce.

Chen Ruo Yu did not know what else to say and could only accompany her laughing in silence.

Meng Mother paused and then added.  “Xiao Yu, do you know how many pieces of bones a man has?”

“Ah?”  Chen Ruo Yu was dumbstruck and thought.  “It seems……it seems there are 204……”

“It is 206.”

“Oh.”  Chen Ruo Yu bowed her head and felt ashamed.  If this is Meng Mother’s way of showing her strength then she is really one who is calm and collected.

Then Meng Mother asked.  “Xiao Yu, do you know how many blood vessels are there in a man?”

Chen Ruo Yu did not dare to answer fearing that she would be ashamed again.

Meng Mother asked again.  “Xiao Yu, do you know how many nerves are there in a man?”

Chen Ruo Yu felt that she could no longer keep quiet and replied.  “Auntie, I only know that my nerves are thicker.”

Meng Mother was surprised and then she laughed aloud.

Chen Ruo Yu did not know what was so funny about that.  She rubbed her knees and said.  “Auntie, I don’t know how to please people.  Only that……to be Dr. Meng’s girlfriend, do I have to pass a test on medical common knowledge?”

“Of course, not!”  Meng Mother smiled.  “Although I’m also a doctor, I’ve been a housewife for a very long time.  You are only Meng Gu’s partner and not his colleague, so why should you be tested on medical knowledge?”

“Oh.”  Then just now, was Meng Mother making fun of her?  Chen Ruo Yu was a little depressed and felt that it was not humorous at all.

“You were not in a hurry to meet us and I think it is not a bad decision.”  Meng Mother took a sip of her coffee and said slowly.  “Although Meng Gu had complained to me, I still think you are not wrong.  It’s not that I’m praising my own son.  Actually, Meng Gu’s conditions are excellent and many girls pursued him.  It’s alright for them to pursue him but they also sent me gifts to show their polite manners.”

Chen Ruo Yu’s face was full of black lines.  Thinking back, it seems under a weird circumstance, she had treated Meng Mother to her braised food and had never thought of giving her a gift.  So, is she considered rude?

Meng Mother continued.  “Among all of Meng Gu’s girlfriends except for you, after their relationship with Meng Gu was confirmed, all of them were eager to pay me a visit.  One of the important steps to determine a relationship is to meet the parents but in the end, all of them broke up with Meng Gu.  So, the only people who can determine your relationship are not the parents but yourselves.”

Chen Ruo Yu looked at Meng Mother and felt very nervous.  Her palms started to sweat again and she was a bit confused now, wondering what Meng Mother wanted to say to her.  Is Meng Mother going to accept her or not accepting her?

“Xiao Yu, you said your nerves are thick but in fact, it is not true at all.  I think the one whose nerves are thicker is my smart and capable son.  He had told me about some of the things the both of you had done to get along with each other and some of your thoughts.  Xiao Yu, you have thought a lot and I think it is because you truly want to be with Meng Gu.  However, Qi Yao had also thought a lot before and she had personality but you don’t.”

Chen Ruo Yu was even more confused. 

Meng Mother, do settle this quickly!  She really has no personality, so her Elderly Parental Phobia attack is very distressing.

“Auntie, I don’t really understand this.”

Meng Mother smiled and said.  “Xiao Yu, having a personality is stylish but not having a personality is also not something bad.  Having polite manners is not just showing a smile and sending gifts but showing sincere respect.  Once, Meng Gu’s father had arranged a blind-date for Meng Gu.  The girl had a great personality and she had voiced her criticism and refuted her mother lively and sharply on the spot.  Meng Gu gave her an evaluation:  Spoiled my appetite.  I also felt the same.  To me, I feel that an enduring and restraint personality is better than a personality which is impulsive and rash.  Ignoring other people’s feelings is not something good but there are times you should not always endure.  To attack and to defend is the right way to do things.  Do you understand what I mean?”

Chen Ruo Yu forced a response and lightly nodded her head.  Could this be a little praise for her?

In the end, Meng Mother said.  “But our whole family had this fault of ignoring other people’s feelings.  I am better but that two father and son are not lovable at all regarding this point.”

Chen Ruo Yu forced a laugh and this time, her head nodded a little harder.  But she still did not understand what Meng Mother wanted to say.  Listening to an elderly parent’s lecture is really tiring to the brains.

Meng Mother added.  “In fact, I’m different from his father.  Meng Gu’s temper is like his father’s.  So, I think I should be able to understand the problems that you have getting along with him.”

The main topic is finally here?  Chen Ruo Yu rubbed her sweaty palms on her pants and focused all her attention on Meng Mother.

“Xiao Yu, do you know life is like a human body?  You think it is healthy without any problems but in fact, the danger is everywhere.  People’s feelings are the same.  They seem to be like the body like one can see through it.  It is nothing more than a head, trunk and four limbs but it is actually very complicated and difficult to understand.  Bones, blood vessels, nerves, muscles……when you are still in the state of unawareness, maybe the cancer cells had already spread.

Chen Ruo Yu started to feel faint.  She is really worthy of being part of a doctor’s family.  Does she have to use tumors as examples?

“Actually, people are very clear about their own bodies.  When do they feel tired?  Where is the pain?  Is it constipation?  Is the menstruation irregular?  Actually, most of the time, we chose to ignore and neglect ourselves.  The same is true for feelings.  In fact, everyone knows about the fine tiny problems, but we ignored it and neglected it until we are forced to face it.  By that time, it had developed so much that it needs surgery.  Enduring the pain, the surgery is then done and you find some problems can be solved but the foremost problem is the tumor which is benign.  If it is malignant, then a check should be done to see whether it had spread …….whether it can be removed completely.”

“Sometimes, the tumor sprouted in the wrong place.  Although you know it is there but you just can’t remove it.  The relationship between a couple is the same as this.  Daily maintenance is very important, exercise is needed regularly and care is needed to upkeep health.  You can’t be lazy, you can’t be afraid of being tired, you have to persevere and there are no shortcuts.  Maybe you think that I am over-exaggerating to say this and being so tired, how can you continue with living?  In fact, if you say you’re tired, you’ll feel tired and you say you’re not tired, you don’t actually feel tired.  When you let training exercises be a part of your life, you will enjoy it and if you don’t exercise, you will feel uncomfortable. The one who really feels tired is the one who does not care about health.”

Chen Ruo Yu nodded and it seems she now understood.  She thinks that she is like this.  She had seriously tried to maintain her relationship with Meng Gu.  She doesn’t feel tired, she feels very happy and she looks forward to being with him every day.

“Xiao Yu, I like you very much.  You can wait patiently for him to get off work, does not feel vexed or hot-tempered.  You have a compassionate heart and can endure the hardship I told you about.  The most important aspect is Meng Gu.  I can see with my own eyes the changes with this child.  It has been many years since he had not been as relaxed and as happy as he is now.  But I know of his stinky flaw and you can’t always tolerate him.  Men are like children, you have to teach them.  It is not enough to only make him love you……you also have to give him a sense of belonging.”

This time, Chen Ruo Yu was sure Meng Mother had praised her and she could not help but feel happy and nodded her head forcefully.

Meng Mother also wanted to make a point and said with a smile.  “I look forward to the day you can also find that certain feeling of confidence as soon as possible.  Come and see me and his father earlier.”

Chen Ruo Yu showed a wide smile and was about to say ‘Thank you Auntie.’ when Meng Mother said.  “Right, just to give you an advance reminder.  His father doesn’t like you very much and I look forward to your formal meeting with him.”

Chen Ruo Yu’s smile was a bit stiff and her face was covered with black lines.  This Meng Mother is really amazing.  She had said she likes her and now she had brought out Meng Father to scare her, what does she mean?  If Meng Mother really likes her and wants her to be her daughter-in-law, shouldn’t she help her to convince Meng Father to accept her?  Now Meng Mother is letting her face him alone and letting her solve this, what does she mean?

She had also said that Meng Gu is like his father and that is to say, Meng Father is as difficult to handle as Meng Gu.  No, he is a parent and her Parental Phobia tells her that Meng Father will be more difficult to deal with than Meng Gu.

Chen Ruo Yu felt equally pleased and worried.  A woman’s love life, ah……is really a path of hurdles after hurdles! 

 

After their conversation, Chen Ruo Yu and Meng Mother went to the hospital together.  Meng Mother went to look for Old Dr. Meng and Chen Ruo Yu went to look for Young Dr. Meng.  When Young Dr. Meng saw her, he had a bad expression which made Chen Ruo Yu feel a little angry. 

No one else was in his office, so Meng Gu hooked his finger at Chen Ruo Yu and pointed to his face.  She ignored him. 

“Chen Ruo Yu, is your skin itchy?  After seeing that man, are you still not giving me a kiss and not going to act coquettishly to pacify me?

“What?  If I don’t kiss you, are you planning to beat me?”  She continued to ignore him.  She still had not settle scores with him over him telling his mother to catch her going out for a meal with another man which nearly caused her embarrassment.

Just as her breathing was suffocating, he pulled her forcefully to him and gave her a bite.  She was shocked and felt so angry that she hit him.  He bit her again and then kissed her on the lips.

She felt very frightened.  This is the hospital!  Hospital!  Does he really know how to differentiate what is the appropriate occasion?  Too arrogant!  The stinky man really has many flaws!

She used her strength to struggle and pushed him away.  Then she took a few steps back.

“Hey!”  Meng Gu raised his eyebrows and expressed his dissatisfaction.

Chen Ruo Yu also imitated his expression with both arms folded across her chest.  She looked down at him sitting in his chair and wanted to say a few imposing words.  For the moment, she could not think of anything to say as she had just been kissed, her heart still felt awkward and her IQ was also affected.

“Wait, I’m brewing a line”

Meng Gu laughed aloud and did not intend to wait for her to brew her line.  Instead, he said.  “Chen Ruo Yu, it can be considered you have seen my parents now, so take me back to your home soon.”

17